2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wet - Surly Brewing Company

WetWet

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Availability: Fall

2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

ABV: 7.5% v/v
COLOR: 6 ºSRM
IBU: 90
AVAILABILITY: October

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,127 | Reviews: 397 | Show All Ratings:
nppeders

3.35/5  rDev -23.2%

2011 version

appearance - clear, orange, little head that dissapates. Little bit of lacing sticks around

smell -fruity, caramel, pinesol, not as appealing as I remember it last year. Maybe they used citra hops this year? Don't get the simcoe much.

taste caramel sweetness starts it off, piney lemon pinesol in the middle, and then it ends with an astringent harch bitterness and pinesol/medicinal finish.

mouthfeel - low carbonation

overall - not as good as last year. Too harsh bitterness, weird medicinal thing on the end. sweet from caramel malts. Not very well balanced, and the flavors just don't mesh for me.

11-14-2011 00:04:23 | More by nppeders
MexicanSkittel

3.38/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured from can into a large tulip.

Looks like a giant piece of amber, with a slight tangerine, the 1/2 inch head from the vigorous pour dissipated quickly.

Nose not as big and hoppy as I wa expecting.
The hops are there but a little dryer, some maltiness, and earth. A bit of pine needle.

The flavor gave some bitter hoppiness slightly musty. Some oak, maybe some pine but it's not very green. Some citrus

Mouth feel is decent, not very viscous or hot. I'm finding a slightly tannic feel at the end of the finish.

So, after further examination, canned on 10/04/11. 2 months...does this beer lose all it's excitement that quick?

I'd love to try a fresh one. I'll re-rate this beer again...

12-15-2011 05:21:55 | More by MexicanSkittel
jeffthecheff

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev -22%

Pours a honey gold color out of the pint can with a nice, mellow white head. Lacing and retention are great.

Aroma is nice, but average in strength for an IPA. I was hoping the Wet hops would carry a more fresh smelling nose than it does. There is slight citrus and grass, as well as a full yeast fruitiness. The patent tropical fruit aroma of Citra is barley noticeable.

On the palate, there is a full body and sweet caramel flavor. Hop flavor adds a general, fruity flavor. Bitterness is strong, but not as tight and crisp as I'd like it to be. Overall, this beer feels like it needs some tightening up. This beer certainly seems like a weak spot in Surly's great line-up.

11-17-2010 00:48:46 | More by jeffthecheff
Bmoyer0301

3.48/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance:

Tonight I reached for my Dogfish Head bubbled pint which is another glass that was a complimentary gift from Al's of Hampden during the last event he held. As I cracked open the tall boy can there was a generous amount of hissing and carbonation gasses that escaped the wide mouth. In the pour I decided to start by tilting the glass pretty hard just in case it wanted to foam up on me and as I continued it was safe to say that I could stand the glass back up. After I was pouring for a few seconds I noticed that I was left with a two finger thick bone white head. When I hold the glass up to the light I see a burnt orange / light amber tones that are crystal clear, and in the swirl their is a decent amount of foamy lacing clinging to the edge of the glass.

Smell:

Bouquets of fresh floral hops are the front and center stage here, with some noticeable malty backbone. It sounds a little strange but when I take a second whiff I am getting something that reminds me of Sunny Delight or Five Alive orange juice. The malty sweetness is loaded with caramel, biscuit, and bread notes that mingle nicely with the hops.

Taste:

Surprisingly the first thing I taste is the malt before any hops are even in the picture. Loads of burnt brown sugar and caramel are on the tip of my tongue then the hops start shining through. Grassy, and earthy noble flavors almost mute any of the west coast citrus hops that are included in this recipe and once you swallow there is a oily resin left over your mouth that is a sure sign that the fresh hops are there. I am really lacking the complexity that everyone was raving about in this beer, maybe my can was not properly stored or maybe it is on the cusp of getting old but it says it was released in early October so I doubt that. In the finish there is a touch of honey with some of the piny resin taste that is left over from the initial hop burst.

Drinkability:

Overall, I would say based of my experience that this was a good beer just not a stellar one. I have had quite a few Surly beers and they all were excellent examples of their style and this one is no exception its just not what I was expecting. I have done some research on this beer and people have given it great reviews and raved how this was a hop bomb and a world class beer but I'd have to disagree. Again, good drinkable fresh hop ale but not the A+ style in my opinion, if you come across this beer I'd definitely give it a shot before it gets too old and the hops fade completely.

10-31-2010 15:51:08 | More by Bmoyer0301
bashiba

Iowa

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured a cloudy dull yellow with a sticky white head, nice lacing and retention.

Has a nice green fresh smell. Light citrus.

The flavor is very green and fresh with a light bready malt backbone and a light citrus clean and vegetal hop flavor. The bitterness is nice.

The mouthfeel is light and oily with a bit of sticky resin.

Easy to drink, nice and fresh, but lacking in the hop complexity of a non wet hopped version.

11-02-2011 23:59:52 | More by bashiba
Hornet2003

British Columbia (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -18.6%

On tap at Jake Melnick's, Chicago, Illinois.

Nice looking beer after a great Surly Furious. It was served in a goblet and was cloudy with dark amber colour.

Smelled like Furious.

The flavour was Surly and not much more. Perhaps a slight but more malt, but it was quite similar. Kind of sour and citrusy, but this one had a biscuity flavour as well.

This was a bitter as hell beer. Almost uncomfortably so. It was just so sour and bitter. Definitely high on the IBU scale but almost in the way that eating a raw lemon is.

I barely drank one goblet. It was nice with the so-called "spicy" wings, but I craved more malt and balance in this beast.

Overall: I would rate this as pretty damn good for an IPA but ridiculously unbalanced. Not bad, not great.

11-25-2009 02:24:15 | More by Hornet2003
Florida9

3.58/5  rDev -17.9%

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge.

A: Served in a snifter with about a 1/2" of soapy, airy, sticky head that left some extensive lacing. Dark, clear copper color. Oddly, this beer looks much like a cask ale.

S: Woodsy hops, pine and citrus.

T: A light maltiness with a heavy bitter hop presence that becomes increasingly astringent with every sip. There really isn't much in the way of flavor. Just a woody bitterness.

M: Medium in body with low carbonation. Astringent, tight, and very dry.

D: This beer was a bit of a disappointment and not only because I was expecting another exceptional Surly IPA. I would have been disappointed no matter who the brewer. This remains a decent beer, but the flavor is a little flat and it seems to showcase bitterness at the expense of everything else.

11-13-2009 02:40:17 | More by Florida9
brewerburgundy

3.58/5  rDev -17.9%

16oz can, goblet, canned 10/11/10.

Light orange, specifically clear orange juice, with a large, fluffy head of white.

Orange marmalade, buttery yeast, pear, and grassy hops make up a nose that is underwhelming for a five day old wet hop West coast IPA. Unfortunately, Surly struck out on the most important component of a wet hop beer, the aroma.

Decently sweet pale malt and the delicious orange marmalade balance well against orange and Meyer lemon peel bitterness. The flavors aren't typical West coast IPA, but the juiciness is.

Pretty malty and the carbonation has faded quickly, the juicy and oily factors save this.

The aroma just kills it, and because of that I would not go out and buy this again. I think of wet hop ales being some of the beers I just want to sit and smell. I also think Surly went a little too big on the abv. A case of so close and yet so far.

10-17-2010 02:53:54 | More by brewerburgundy
barnzy78

3.6/5  rDev -17.4%

An tap at The Bavarian Lodge - Lisle, IL

Poured a brilliant copper color with a sudsy off-white head that stuck around for awhile and left excellent lacing. Aromas are piny with a large dose of citrus. So far so good. Tastes are all hops. Bold, bold, pine with a huge astringency to boot. Some citrus remnants and slight malt character, but the piny hops own this ale. Finishes extremely dry with hints of aspirin, ash, and white pepper. Mouth-feel seems thinner than expected, but still acceptable. Overall, this didn't live up to expectations. Appearance and aroma were both great, but the balance wasn't there for me with this one. I was hoping for some sweetness and malt to come though, but it didn't.

11-12-2009 02:54:52 | More by barnzy78
stxSS07

3.6/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16oz can into a pint glass. Canned 10/27/11.

A- Pours a transparent golden-orange with about a finger of off-white head. Lots of carbonation and sticky webs of lacing.

S- Juicy citrus notes. Orange, grapefruit, etc. Also a decent kick of bitter piney resins. Maybe a bit of a bready note. Seems a bit subdued.

T- Sweet juicy citrus at the front paired with a bigger bitter presence than the nose suggested. Finishes really dry with some lingering bitterness and malty, bready notes.

M- Medium-light bodied with just enough carbonation. Drying finish.

O- I honestly thought this one would be better after seeing the buzz around it when it came out, but it just seems really subdued. It's not a bad beer by any stretch, but Abrasive blows the pants off of this in my book.

11-25-2011 04:17:28 | More by stxSS07
caskstrength

3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

Going up against high expectations here. Citra and simcoe, 5 days old according to the canning date. Surly, hops, fresh, etc. Drooling as I pour....

Look is beautiful. Perfect 1/2 inch head when poured carefully into a Surly pint glass. Golden yellow, no sediment. Shines, makes the room a bit brighter.

Smell is grassy and earthy. Where is all the citra citrus? Pine in the back seat too. Some bready and grainy smells from the malts. Not the pavlovian response inducing pungency I was expecting.

Taste disappoints for the relative lack of rich, juicy depth. Grassy hops strong, a nice earthy character to them. Grainy malts balance just enough with some simple sweetness. I can find more to the hops if I really focus as it warms, but the grassy flavors stay front and center. (Liked the earthy vibe overall though, best part of the beer. It just needed more traditional hop character to work with it.)

Crisp and clean on the mouthfeel, appropriately bitter. Not an enamel peeler at all. Pretty easy drinking.

A good beer. Not a great beer. More subdued than I was hoping, and more of a one trick pony than other fresh hops I've enjoyed (Founders, Town Hall)

10-16-2010 12:55:55 | More by caskstrength
Gump

3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

Clean, clear and plenty of foam. Very impressed by the clarity. Head settles to nothing after a couple minutes.

Fresh hop odor. Not flowery, but pungent hop aroma. This may smell like body odor to some, which I won't disagree

with, but it also smells viney, fresh-weed like.

I can't help but search out the hops at first taste. Starts out sweet, then pause to feel the slick mouthfeel then

the dry, biting hop aftertaste hits.
I think this was intentionally brewed light, to let the hops shine. Low malt.
This beer forces you to appreciate the true hop flavor.

10-16-2010 23:59:02 | More by Gump
Retail1LO

3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Received this as part of my box in part 2 of the Growler BIF.

Beer pours a transparent golden-amber with a finger's width head that dissipates quickly. The nose is a real clean, and subtly hoppy variety. The taste, while good, for whatever reason reminds me of any of several adjunct lagers I've had. I can't quite put my finger on it. While the hops are sublime, this just has an odd quality to it. I may have to come back to this and see if this is an anomaly. There's some decent citrus notes, and a very distinct hop profile in the taste as well. The mouthfeel repeats a lot of this peculiar taste I'm getting. It's a bit malty, but really gives me the feeling I'm drinking a BMC product. I don't get it. Overall, this is pretty average, in my opinion.

11-06-2011 03:28:49 | More by Retail1LO
amphion1065

3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

Can dated 10/12/11, poured into a CBC pint glass. Much thanks for this Duff27.

Pours a very light tangerine, almost yellow, with striking clarity. A small white head fades quickly, leaving minimal lacing. A tiny bit of sediment in the glass.

The nose is pure Citra, all day long. Huge, huge tropical fruit notes coming out of this beer. Loads of mango and plenty of papaya. The combination is pure sticky hops reminds me of guava paste.

The flavor profile is solid, if not quite the equal of the aroma. There is quite a bit of mango up front, but it's not nearly as vibrant as I expected. More of a grassy, earthy hop flavor here. There's a pronounced bitterness in the finish.

Carbonation is on the low side, but not detrimentally so. A very drinkable IPA.

Though not a perfect comparison, I absolutely prefer Furious to Wet. This is solid, just not especially spectacular.

11-28-2011 23:46:58 | More by amphion1065
siege06nd

3.65/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint...

A: Surly Wet has a golden orange hue and is just a touch cloudy. Fairly standard stuff for an IPA, but where it impresses is its two finger, fluffy, plush, eggshell white head. Head retention is solid, with a solid quarter finger of the good stuff lingering throughout the session. Lacing is also phenomenal, with tightly beaded sheets coating the inside of my glass. Very impressive.

S: The hop nose on this is very piny and resiny. Lots of grassiness to this one. Grapefruit and citrus notes are also there, but it's a bit muted. Good, but nothing more than that.

T: Pine resin and herbal bitterness take center stage with some citrus zest evening out things a little bit on the back. An odd watery sweetness on the finish. The flavors are right but could be better integrated. I prefer my IPAs smoother and Surly Wet is all about bitter and grassy. The citrus presence there is is too little, too late.

M: Carbonation is right, but flavors are out of balance here. The finish, especially, is thin and one-note. Not very complex or nuanced. A better malt build might have rounded this out a bit better.

O: Surly Wet is a solid IPA, and definitely one I would revisit were it readily available in my area. However, when I bounce this up against Founders Harvest Ale, it's not even close. They hit the same notes, but the flavors here are poorly integrated and the body of the brew is disappointingly thin. I desperately wanted more from this, but alas, Surly Wet is undistinguished in this reviewer's eyes.

11-16-2011 18:09:35 | More by siege06nd
cadaugherty

Reviewed from notes from 10/16/10:

Appearance- Golden and bubbly! Good two fingers of head off a gentle pour.

Smell- Nice citrus hops that pop out of the glass. Not quite as bold as the aroma on Furious but nice.

Taste- I know it is a wet-hopped harvest ale but there is no malt backbone in this beer. I like the crisp hoppy taste, but I need some more malt. It makes the beer fall flat for me.

Mouthfeel- Just fine. Very clean and crisp. Maybe a hint more stickiness than I would like.

Drinkability- Easy drinking, but again it is a Harvest ale so what are you expecting.

I personally enjoy this beer but feel it is a bit overhyped and is not my favorite of its type.

11-15-2010 04:39:54 | More by cadaugherty
kbutler1

3.68/5  rDev -15.6%

Can. Canned on 10/11/09, 1 day later into my pint glass. Pours a fellow/orange tinged golden color with a 1 finger white fluffy head that laces as it settles. Strong floral and citrus aromas wafting from my glass. Medium/light mouthfeel. The taste is minimally sweet with a huge hop profile kicking in. Bitter citrus rind and some florals linger on. Good carbonation. Pretty easy drinking.

02-04-2011 15:06:49 | More by kbutler1
Gfunk720

Connecticut

2012 Version, out of a pint glass. Canned on 10/1/2012

A- A nice golden amber color, very clear and crisp. A light white head forms when pouring, good lacing and retention.

S-Mostly piney hop resins with some malty sweetness blended in. I get some touches of some tropical fruit, mango/pinnapple.

T- Smooth and malty at first, with some touches of piney hops coming through after a few seconds. Then comes this big resinous hoppy aftertaste. The initial flavor is quite nice, however I found the aftertaste to be too resinous and not very well balanced.

M- Aside from the overly resinous lingering flavor, the mouthfeel is quite nice. Good body and carbonation, but the aftertaste is a bit much.

O- Overall I had some high expectations for this beer and have to say I was a bit let down. The garlicy-resinous aftertaste is just overboard and too much for the initial flavor. I could see this working with a different hop, but the simcoe didnt really do it for me. Not a bad IPA, but I wont go overboard trying to get more.

10-19-2012 21:37:42 | More by Gfunk720
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

3.7/5  rDev -15.1%

5 week old can consumed Nov. 19, 2011 at Inaugural Bottle Share. From notes.

A: Copper, clear with a nice white head and enough lacing to keep me happy.
S: This is pure hop juice. Tropical fruits, grapefruit and light hints of pine along with a bit of black pepper.
T: Falls off the rails here for me... Thin body without the powerfully whallop of hop flavours to back it up. I find it hard to believe that it faded that quickly... Not a bland body, but a body of a watery APA at best, with similar hop notes to the nose.
M: Bitterness really builds up over time and the beer finishes quite dry, but the beer itself is thin.
O: The body of the beer really disappoints here, but if I could breathe this nose 24/7 I would die happy. A real dichotomy here, but a beer is meant to be drunk...

11-25-2011 04:03:59 | More by kjyost
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.73/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2010 Version Canned 10-12-10

Poured into surly pint glass.

Pours 1/2 finger of white head. Leaves some lace. Color is a clear golden orange.

Aroma: Earthy hops, some citrus, bready malts. The nose is fresh, but fairly muted.

Taste: A bit more flavor here. Sweet citrus flavors. Earthy pine hops. The has some bready malts. It is overall a sweet tasting ipa.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and sweet. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends sticky with a hop resin taste.

Overall, I am not that impressed with this year's batch. I was really excited for the citra hops, but it just didn't work. Good, but nothing mind blowing. Decent drinkability.

10-12-2010 22:45:43 | More by mothman
tewaris

3.73/5  rDev -14.4%

16 oz canned two days ago, bitches, poured into a Samuel Adams perfect pint on the early morning of October 13, 2010.

Appearance 5/5
Crystal clear amber-orange with a big off white head and great lacing. Looks the way an IPA should.

Aroma 4/5
Pine, mango, and papaya. Only complaint? Strength. Any IPA Surly churns out will always be compared to Furious, and this is not as furious -- I can smell it! Yet, very very nice.

Taste 3.5/5
Fruity hops dance on palate with enough malts in the background. I have to say that malts hold up alright, against what Surly says about this beer, "This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors." This beer is not bitter at all in the first impression although after a finish that's not as dry as advertised, an intense bitterness can be felt in the back of the mouth. I wonder what's up with the finish, given the clarity and brewer's statement! Good as it is, it doesn't belong "up there" in my opinion.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Almost perfect, but the finish is sweet for the body, and the carbonation seems a tad low.

Drinkability 3.5/5
This one needs more bitterness, cleaner finish and higher carbonation. Also needed is a lower ABV for a beer this easy to drink!

10-13-2010 11:32:43 | More by tewaris
Ineedabeerhere

Rhode Island

3.73/5  rDev -14.4%

Thanks Doug!!! You're the man! Live review.

Pours a nice orangey color, with some amber hues. Nice two finger foam fades slowly with great retention and some good lacing.

Aroma is nice and fresh, but not quite pungent enough. It manages to be juicy and grassy in its hop character but not as piercingly aromatic as some. Juicy citrus, but it's pretty fruity too. Apricot and mango along with some herbal hoppiness. The taste is the similar, but maltier and I find myself wishing it were more bitter and finished drier. The mouthfeel is nice and full, there is bitterness through the finish but it could be a little more aggressive for the weight of this beer.

It's got a TON of great juicy hop flavor but lacked the structure and finish to take it to the next level. I'll have no trouble finishing the rest of these cans....Thanks again!

10-28-2010 22:51:52 | More by Ineedabeerhere
HeyBeerSnobFU

3.73/5  rDev -14.4%

Enjoyed fresh one day after canning. Appearance is typical IPA burnt orange almost amber. Noticed a good amount of carbonation and a thick frothy pillow like head that stays around for a good while. The aroma has hints of lemon like citrus and some pine. The taste is best described with one word... resinous. There is some citrus rind in the background, but resinous pine dominates. Overall I think this IPA is much more one dimensional than the previous reviews would indicate. The flavor profile is super hoppy and resinous without much else going on in my opinion. Definitely a good tasty brew and if resinous is your thing I would definitely reccomend trying to get your hands on this elusive beer.

10-03-2012 08:08:19 | More by HeyBeerSnobFU
willjschmidt

3.75/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a 16 oz can into a Sierra Nevada 30th anniversary glass.

A: Pours a light bronze color with a thin white head. Head quickly fades. Great lacing.

S: Citrus, a touch of pine.

T: A nice dose of hops. Pleasant bitterness, mostly in the finish. A fair amount of citrus fruit, a hint of pine. A touch of grassy flavors. Definitely taste the freshness of the hops, but I find the hop profile a bit too one dimensional. Well balanced with a pale malt.

M: A bit on the thin side, average carbonation. Lively and crisp.

O: A tad bit disappointed with this one. It was a bit too thin and too one dimensional with the flavor profile. Not a bad beer by any means, but one of least favorite wet hop beers that I had this fall.

11-17-2011 04:03:08 | More by willjschmidt
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.76/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tall can received in trade with cfrancis - thanks!

Appearance - Slightly hazy gold colour with an average size white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some great lacing. The head lasted for around 4-5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, hops, lime/melon, grapefruit

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, grapefruit, and hops. There is also some melon, lime, and a touch of apricot.

Overall - I expected more hoppy taste and aroma. My can is a few months old but still, this shouldn't have faded so fast. Even though, this is a good beer, just not one that lived up to the high rankings.

12-05-2013 00:51:12 | More by spinrsx