Wet - Surly Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

ABV: 7.5% v/v
COLOR: 6 ºSRM
IBU: 90
AVAILABILITY: October

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009)

smogfood, Dec 02, 2011

Danegerous123, Dec 26, 2013

Ross_Haddow, Dec 28, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -23.2%

2011 version

appearance - clear, orange, little head that dissapates. Little bit of lacing sticks around

smell -fruity, caramel, pinesol, not as appealing as I remember it last year. Maybe they used citra hops this year? Don't get the simcoe much.

taste caramel sweetness starts it off, piney lemon pinesol in the middle, and then it ends with an astringent harch bitterness and pinesol/medicinal finish.

mouthfeel - low carbonation

overall - not as good as last year. Too harsh bitterness, weird medicinal thing on the end. sweet from caramel malts. Not very well balanced, and the flavors just don't mesh for me.

nppeders, Nov 14, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured from can into a large tulip.

Looks like a giant piece of amber, with a slight tangerine, the 1/2 inch head from the vigorous pour dissipated quickly.

Nose not as big and hoppy as I wa expecting.
The hops are there but a little dryer, some maltiness, and earth. A bit of pine needle.

The flavor gave some bitter hoppiness slightly musty. Some oak, maybe some pine but it's not very green. Some citrus

Mouth feel is decent, not very viscous or hot. I'm finding a slightly tannic feel at the end of the finish.

So, after further examination, canned on 10/04/11. 2 months...does this beer lose all it's excitement that quick?

I'd love to try a fresh one. I'll re-rate this beer again...

MexicanSkittel, Dec 15, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -22%

Pours a honey gold color out of the pint can with a nice, mellow white head. Lacing and retention are great.

Aroma is nice, but average in strength for an IPA. I was hoping the Wet hops would carry a more fresh smelling nose than it does. There is slight citrus and grass, as well as a full yeast fruitiness. The patent tropical fruit aroma of Citra is barley noticeable.

On the palate, there is a full body and sweet caramel flavor. Hop flavor adds a general, fruity flavor. Bitterness is strong, but not as tight and crisp as I'd like it to be. Overall, this beer feels like it needs some tightening up. This beer certainly seems like a weak spot in Surly's great line-up.

jeffthecheff, Nov 17, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance:

Tonight I reached for my Dogfish Head bubbled pint which is another glass that was a complimentary gift from Al's of Hampden during the last event he held. As I cracked open the tall boy can there was a generous amount of hissing and carbonation gasses that escaped the wide mouth. In the pour I decided to start by tilting the glass pretty hard just in case it wanted to foam up on me and as I continued it was safe to say that I could stand the glass back up. After I was pouring for a few seconds I noticed that I was left with a two finger thick bone white head. When I hold the glass up to the light I see a burnt orange / light amber tones that are crystal clear, and in the swirl their is a decent amount of foamy lacing clinging to the edge of the glass.

Smell:

Bouquets of fresh floral hops are the front and center stage here, with some noticeable malty backbone. It sounds a little strange but when I take a second whiff I am getting something that reminds me of Sunny Delight or Five Alive orange juice. The malty sweetness is loaded with caramel, biscuit, and bread notes that mingle nicely with the hops.

Taste:

Surprisingly the first thing I taste is the malt before any hops are even in the picture. Loads of burnt brown sugar and caramel are on the tip of my tongue then the hops start shining through. Grassy, and earthy noble flavors almost mute any of the west coast citrus hops that are included in this recipe and once you swallow there is a oily resin left over your mouth that is a sure sign that the fresh hops are there. I am really lacking the complexity that everyone was raving about in this beer, maybe my can was not properly stored or maybe it is on the cusp of getting old but it says it was released in early October so I doubt that. In the finish there is a touch of honey with some of the piny resin taste that is left over from the initial hop burst.

Drinkability:

Overall, I would say based of my experience that this was a good beer just not a stellar one. I have had quite a few Surly beers and they all were excellent examples of their style and this one is no exception its just not what I was expecting. I have done some research on this beer and people have given it great reviews and raved how this was a hop bomb and a world class beer but I'd have to disagree. Again, good drinkable fresh hop ale but not the A+ style in my opinion, if you come across this beer I'd definitely give it a shot before it gets too old and the hops fade completely.

Bmoyer0301, Oct 31, 2010

leschkie, Mar 31, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured a cloudy dull yellow with a sticky white head, nice lacing and retention.

Has a nice green fresh smell. Light citrus.

The flavor is very green and fresh with a light bready malt backbone and a light citrus clean and vegetal hop flavor. The bitterness is nice.

The mouthfeel is light and oily with a bit of sticky resin.

Easy to drink, nice and fresh, but lacking in the hop complexity of a non wet hopped version.

bashiba, Nov 02, 2011