Wet - Surly Brewing Company

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009

We took a break from brewing our Wet Hopped West Coast Style IPA in 2014 while we moved into our new brewery so for 2015 we came back with a bang. Our 2015 edition features 6,000 lbs of Simcoe hops harvested from the Yakima region of Washington. We went all out in 2015 and brewed 600 barrels, TEN TIMES as much WET as we first brewed when we started wet hopping back in 2009. And, for the first time ever, WET distribution will reach our neighbors in Wisconsin, Iowa and Chicago in both draft and 16oz cans.

2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

ABV: 7.5% v/v
IBU: 90
Reviews: 461 | Hads: 1,483
1.97/5  rDev -53.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.75

The 2015 batch smells and tastes like a floor cleaning product mixed with pineapple juice. This beer was an unfortunate waste of money because it has been quite good in the past, but this year it is horrible.

2.07/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

2015 Version:

Can dated 9/29/2015.
Beer smells and tastes like a lager. It actually reminds me of Hell, with much more Sterling hops, than normal. I am sorry, but the beer inside of my Wet can, is not Wet or even an IPA.

2.56/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours to a nice light copper to straight amber color with a two finger white head that laces well. Smells like German malts with a touch of lemon - no hops detected. Tastes nothing like it should - plenty of lemony maltiness and not much else. Finishes with some faint, lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side as is the carbonation. Surly has missed big time with this beer. It tastes nothing like I would expect - more like a semi-hopped up lager. And at $17 ... well let's just say I am not happy.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

2011 version

appearance - clear, orange, little head that dissapates. Little bit of lacing sticks around

smell -fruity, caramel, pinesol, not as appealing as I remember it last year. Maybe they used citra hops this year? Don't get the simcoe much.

taste caramel sweetness starts it off, piney lemon pinesol in the middle, and then it ends with an astringent harch bitterness and pinesol/medicinal finish.

mouthfeel - low carbonation

overall - not as good as last year. Too harsh bitterness, weird medicinal thing on the end. sweet from caramel malts. Not very well balanced, and the flavors just don't mesh for me.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from can into a large tulip.

Looks like a giant piece of amber, with a slight tangerine, the 1/2 inch head from the vigorous pour dissipated quickly.

Nose not as big and hoppy as I wa expecting.
The hops are there but a little dryer, some maltiness, and earth. A bit of pine needle.

The flavor gave some bitter hoppiness slightly musty. Some oak, maybe some pine but it's not very green. Some citrus

Mouth feel is decent, not very viscous or hot. I'm finding a slightly tannic feel at the end of the finish.

So, after further examination, canned on 10/04/11. 2 months...does this beer lose all it's excitement that quick?

I'd love to try a fresh one. I'll re-rate this beer again...

3.39/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a honey gold color out of the pint can with a nice, mellow white head. Lacing and retention are great.

Aroma is nice, but average in strength for an IPA. I was hoping the Wet hops would carry a more fresh smelling nose than it does. There is slight citrus and grass, as well as a full yeast fruitiness. The patent tropical fruit aroma of Citra is barley noticeable.

On the palate, there is a full body and sweet caramel flavor. Hop flavor adds a general, fruity flavor. Bitterness is strong, but not as tight and crisp as I'd like it to be. Overall, this beer feels like it needs some tightening up. This beer certainly seems like a weak spot in Surly's great line-up.

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had really high hopes for this beer after everything I've read about past brews. Sad to say I was really let down with Wet (although Surly makes the amazing Todd the Axeman and therefore will always holds a top spot in my heart).
I haven't had a ton of wet hopped beers in the past but this is my 4th different brew of the 2015 season and by far my least favorite.
The look is a nice clear amber. Smell is very malty with some pine, dank wet grass, sweet grapes and lemon/lime pith. Usually dank and lemon are a good thing to me but I find this unpleasant. They combine for an aroma I cant quite place but know well, maybe pinesol or some other cleaning product. Taste is similar with a bitterness I don't quite like and not typical of an IPA....more like the bitterness from straight citrus pith without any rind, if that makes sense. Feel is very thin without much stickiness. It's almost like a cheap AAL with some wet grass and citrus pith.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured a cloudy dull yellow with a sticky white head, nice lacing and retention.

Has a nice green fresh smell. Light citrus.

The flavor is very green and fresh with a light bready malt backbone and a light citrus clean and vegetal hop flavor. The bitterness is nice.

The mouthfeel is light and oily with a bit of sticky resin.

Easy to drink, nice and fresh, but lacking in the hop complexity of a non wet hopped version.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Tonight I reached for my Dogfish Head bubbled pint which is another glass that was a complimentary gift from Al's of Hampden during the last event he held. As I cracked open the tall boy can there was a generous amount of hissing and carbonation gasses that escaped the wide mouth. In the pour I decided to start by tilting the glass pretty hard just in case it wanted to foam up on me and as I continued it was safe to say that I could stand the glass back up. After I was pouring for a few seconds I noticed that I was left with a two finger thick bone white head. When I hold the glass up to the light I see a burnt orange / light amber tones that are crystal clear, and in the swirl their is a decent amount of foamy lacing clinging to the edge of the glass.

Bouquets of fresh floral hops are the front and center stage here, with some noticeable malty backbone. It sounds a little strange but when I take a second whiff I am getting something that reminds me of Sunny Delight or Five Alive orange juice. The malty sweetness is loaded with caramel, biscuit, and bread notes that mingle nicely with the hops.

Surprisingly the first thing I taste is the malt before any hops are even in the picture. Loads of burnt brown sugar and caramel are on the tip of my tongue then the hops start shining through. Grassy, and earthy noble flavors almost mute any of the west coast citrus hops that are included in this recipe and once you swallow there is a oily resin left over your mouth that is a sure sign that the fresh hops are there. I am really lacking the complexity that everyone was raving about in this beer, maybe my can was not properly stored or maybe it is on the cusp of getting old but it says it was released in early October so I doubt that. In the finish there is a touch of honey with some of the piny resin taste that is left over from the initial hop burst.

Overall, I would say based of my experience that this was a good beer just not a stellar one. I have had quite a few Surly beers and they all were excellent examples of their style and this one is no exception its just not what I was expecting. I have done some research on this beer and people have given it great reviews and raved how this was a hop bomb and a world class beer but I'd have to disagree. Again, good drinkable fresh hop ale but not the A+ style in my opinion, if you come across this beer I'd definitely give it a shot before it gets too old and the hops fade completely.

3.51/5  rDev -17.6%

16oz can, goblet, canned 10/11/10.

Light orange, specifically clear orange juice, with a large, fluffy head of white.

Orange marmalade, buttery yeast, pear, and grassy hops make up a nose that is underwhelming for a five day old wet hop West coast IPA. Unfortunately, Surly struck out on the most important component of a wet hop beer, the aroma.

Decently sweet pale malt and the delicious orange marmalade balance well against orange and Meyer lemon peel bitterness. The flavors aren't typical West coast IPA, but the juiciness is.

Pretty malty and the carbonation has faded quickly, the juicy and oily factors save this.

The aroma just kills it, and because of that I would not go out and buy this again. I think of wet hop ales being some of the beers I just want to sit and smell. I also think Surly went a little too big on the abv. A case of so close and yet so far.

3.54/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Green, definitely very green.
Vegetal, hints of mango, and maybe peppermint (almost peppercorn) ever so faint.
Taste is more along the line of grass, some citrus zest, and malt.
Pretty good.

3.57/5  rDev -16.2%

On tap at Jake Melnick's, Chicago, Illinois.

Nice looking beer after a great Surly Furious. It was served in a goblet and was cloudy with dark amber colour.

Smelled like Furious.

The flavour was Surly and not much more. Perhaps a slight but more malt, but it was quite similar. Kind of sour and citrusy, but this one had a biscuity flavour as well.

This was a bitter as hell beer. Almost uncomfortably so. It was just so sour and bitter. Definitely high on the IBU scale but almost in the way that eating a raw lemon is.

I barely drank one goblet. It was nice with the so-called "spicy" wings, but I craved more malt and balance in this beast.

Overall: I would rate this as pretty damn good for an IPA but ridiculously unbalanced. Not bad, not great.

3.58/5  rDev -16%

3 week old canned poured into a pint glass. Clean dark blonde or light orange body with a nice full white head. Nose is fairly muted with hints of grass and pine. The body is clean and emits a west coast style slick mouthfeel. The flavor is non-descript. I don't know if the hops are already falling off after 3 weeks or if they just weren't that pronounced. No flaws outside of the lack of flavor and hop punch especially at the price point.

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge.

A: Served in a snifter with about a 1/2" of soapy, airy, sticky head that left some extensive lacing. Dark, clear copper color. Oddly, this beer looks much like a cask ale.

S: Woodsy hops, pine and citrus.

T: A light maltiness with a heavy bitter hop presence that becomes increasingly astringent with every sip. There really isn't much in the way of flavor. Just a woody bitterness.

M: Medium in body with low carbonation. Astringent, tight, and very dry.

D: This beer was a bit of a disappointment and not only because I was expecting another exceptional Surly IPA. I would have been disappointed no matter who the brewer. This remains a decent beer, but the flavor is a little flat and it seems to showcase bitterness at the expense of everything else.

3.61/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16oz can into a pint glass. Canned 10/27/11.

A- Pours a transparent golden-orange with about a finger of off-white head. Lots of carbonation and sticky webs of lacing.

S- Juicy citrus notes. Orange, grapefruit, etc. Also a decent kick of bitter piney resins. Maybe a bit of a bready note. Seems a bit subdued.

T- Sweet juicy citrus at the front paired with a bigger bitter presence than the nose suggested. Finishes really dry with some lingering bitterness and malty, bready notes.

M- Medium-light bodied with just enough carbonation. Drying finish.

O- I honestly thought this one would be better after seeing the buzz around it when it came out, but it just seems really subdued. It's not a bad beer by any stretch, but Abrasive blows the pants off of this in my book.

3.64/5  rDev -14.6%

Going up against high expectations here. Citra and simcoe, 5 days old according to the canning date. Surly, hops, fresh, etc. Drooling as I pour....

Look is beautiful. Perfect 1/2 inch head when poured carefully into a Surly pint glass. Golden yellow, no sediment. Shines, makes the room a bit brighter.

Smell is grassy and earthy. Where is all the citra citrus? Pine in the back seat too. Some bready and grainy smells from the malts. Not the pavlovian response inducing pungency I was expecting.

Taste disappoints for the relative lack of rich, juicy depth. Grassy hops strong, a nice earthy character to them. Grainy malts balance just enough with some simple sweetness. I can find more to the hops if I really focus as it warms, but the grassy flavors stay front and center. (Liked the earthy vibe overall though, best part of the beer. It just needed more traditional hop character to work with it.)

Crisp and clean on the mouthfeel, appropriately bitter. Not an enamel peeler at all. Pretty easy drinking.

A good beer. Not a great beer. More subdued than I was hoping, and more of a one trick pony than other fresh hops I've enjoyed (Founders, Town Hall)

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Received this as part of my box in part 2 of the Growler BIF.

Beer pours a transparent golden-amber with a finger's width head that dissipates quickly. The nose is a real clean, and subtly hoppy variety. The taste, while good, for whatever reason reminds me of any of several adjunct lagers I've had. I can't quite put my finger on it. While the hops are sublime, this just has an odd quality to it. I may have to come back to this and see if this is an anomaly. There's some decent citrus notes, and a very distinct hop profile in the taste as well. The mouthfeel repeats a lot of this peculiar taste I'm getting. It's a bit malty, but really gives me the feeling I'm drinking a BMC product. I don't get it. Overall, this is pretty average, in my opinion.

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

An tap at The Bavarian Lodge - Lisle, IL

Poured a brilliant copper color with a sudsy off-white head that stuck around for awhile and left excellent lacing. Aromas are piny with a large dose of citrus. So far so good. Tastes are all hops. Bold, bold, pine with a huge astringency to boot. Some citrus remnants and slight malt character, but the piny hops own this ale. Finishes extremely dry with hints of aspirin, ash, and white pepper. Mouth-feel seems thinner than expected, but still acceptable. Overall, this didn't live up to expectations. Appearance and aroma were both great, but the balance wasn't there for me with this one. I was hoping for some sweetness and malt to come though, but it didn't.

3.66/5  rDev -14.1%

Clean, clear and plenty of foam. Very impressed by the clarity. Head settles to nothing after a couple minutes.

Fresh hop odor. Not flowery, but pungent hop aroma. This may smell like body odor to some, which I won't disagree

with, but it also smells viney, fresh-weed like.

I can't help but search out the hops at first taste. Starts out sweet, then pause to feel the slick mouthfeel then

the dry, biting hop aftertaste hits.
I think this was intentionally brewed light, to let the hops shine. Low malt.
This beer forces you to appreciate the true hop flavor.

3.66/5  rDev -14.1%

Can dated 10/12/11, poured into a CBC pint glass. Much thanks for this Duff27.

Pours a very light tangerine, almost yellow, with striking clarity. A small white head fades quickly, leaving minimal lacing. A tiny bit of sediment in the glass.

The nose is pure Citra, all day long. Huge, huge tropical fruit notes coming out of this beer. Loads of mango and plenty of papaya. The combination is pure sticky hops reminds me of guava paste.

The flavor profile is solid, if not quite the equal of the aroma. There is quite a bit of mango up front, but it's not nearly as vibrant as I expected. More of a grassy, earthy hop flavor here. There's a pronounced bitterness in the finish.

Carbonation is on the low side, but not detrimentally so. A very drinkable IPA.

Though not a perfect comparison, I absolutely prefer Furious to Wet. This is solid, just not especially spectacular.

2012 Version, out of a pint glass. Canned on 10/1/2012

A- A nice golden amber color, very clear and crisp. A light white head forms when pouring, good lacing and retention.

S-Mostly piney hop resins with some malty sweetness blended in. I get some touches of some tropical fruit, mango/pinnapple.

T- Smooth and malty at first, with some touches of piney hops coming through after a few seconds. Then comes this big resinous hoppy aftertaste. The initial flavor is quite nice, however I found the aftertaste to be too resinous and not very well balanced.

M- Aside from the overly resinous lingering flavor, the mouthfeel is quite nice. Good body and carbonation, but the aftertaste is a bit much.

O- Overall I had some high expectations for this beer and have to say I was a bit let down. The garlicy-resinous aftertaste is just overboard and too much for the initial flavor. I could see this working with a different hop, but the simcoe didnt really do it for me. Not a bad IPA, but I wont go overboard trying to get more.

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

Can. Canned on 10/11/09, 1 day later into my pint glass. Pours a fellow/orange tinged golden color with a 1 finger white fluffy head that laces as it settles. Strong floral and citrus aromas wafting from my glass. Medium/light mouthfeel. The taste is minimally sweet with a huge hop profile kicking in. Bitter citrus rind and some florals linger on. Good carbonation. Pretty easy drinking.

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint...

A: Surly Wet has a golden orange hue and is just a touch cloudy. Fairly standard stuff for an IPA, but where it impresses is its two finger, fluffy, plush, eggshell white head. Head retention is solid, with a solid quarter finger of the good stuff lingering throughout the session. Lacing is also phenomenal, with tightly beaded sheets coating the inside of my glass. Very impressive.

S: The hop nose on this is very piny and resiny. Lots of grassiness to this one. Grapefruit and citrus notes are also there, but it's a bit muted. Good, but nothing more than that.

T: Pine resin and herbal bitterness take center stage with some citrus zest evening out things a little bit on the back. An odd watery sweetness on the finish. The flavors are right but could be better integrated. I prefer my IPAs smoother and Surly Wet is all about bitter and grassy. The citrus presence there is is too little, too late.

M: Carbonation is right, but flavors are out of balance here. The finish, especially, is thin and one-note. Not very complex or nuanced. A better malt build might have rounded this out a bit better.

O: Surly Wet is a solid IPA, and definitely one I would revisit were it readily available in my area. However, when I bounce this up against Founders Harvest Ale, it's not even close. They hit the same notes, but the flavors here are poorly integrated and the body of the brew is disappointingly thin. I desperately wanted more from this, but alas, Surly Wet is undistinguished in this reviewer's eyes.

3.69/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2015 offering, from a can to a glass.

clear, golden beer here, with a little lacing on the sides. nothing remarkable.

i'm going to come back to this one with smell, but this is kind of piney with some piss.

taste is resinous and hints at pine, but i'm getting a green lollipop flavor at the end. artificial lime. maybe lime zest? other folks might say apricot, but it's not got that bit of tang to it. this is sweet. (edit - second can, another day. lots of sparkling grape juice in the flavor, at least in the first couple of sips, but it fades pretty quickly.)

mouthfeel is syrupy and good carbonation. hops flavor really lingers a bit.

green lollipops. seriously, i can't get past that.

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2010 Version Canned 10-12-10

Poured into surly pint glass.

Pours 1/2 finger of white head. Leaves some lace. Color is a clear golden orange.

Aroma: Earthy hops, some citrus, bready malts. The nose is fresh, but fairly muted.

Taste: A bit more flavor here. Sweet citrus flavors. Earthy pine hops. The has some bready malts. It is overall a sweet tasting ipa.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and sweet. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends sticky with a hop resin taste.

Overall, I am not that impressed with this year's batch. I was really excited for the citra hops, but it just didn't work. Good, but nothing mind blowing. Decent drinkability.

Wet from Surly Brewing Company