Wet - Surly Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

ABV: 7.5% v/v
COLOR: 6 ºSRM
IBU: 90
AVAILABILITY: October

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009)
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Can shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

A: Clear, light orange with a decent sized white head that leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Resinous hops, pine.

T: Very fresh and hop forward. Great tasting beer. Pine and hops, similar in some aspects to Surly Furious.

M: Alcohol hidden very well. Very nice feel on the palate.

D: Very drinkable and enjoyable. Definitely recommended.

Huhzubendah, Oct 31, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance:

Tonight I reached for my Dogfish Head bubbled pint which is another glass that was a complimentary gift from Al's of Hampden during the last event he held. As I cracked open the tall boy can there was a generous amount of hissing and carbonation gasses that escaped the wide mouth. In the pour I decided to start by tilting the glass pretty hard just in case it wanted to foam up on me and as I continued it was safe to say that I could stand the glass back up. After I was pouring for a few seconds I noticed that I was left with a two finger thick bone white head. When I hold the glass up to the light I see a burnt orange / light amber tones that are crystal clear, and in the swirl their is a decent amount of foamy lacing clinging to the edge of the glass.

Smell:

Bouquets of fresh floral hops are the front and center stage here, with some noticeable malty backbone. It sounds a little strange but when I take a second whiff I am getting something that reminds me of Sunny Delight or Five Alive orange juice. The malty sweetness is loaded with caramel, biscuit, and bread notes that mingle nicely with the hops.

Taste:

Surprisingly the first thing I taste is the malt before any hops are even in the picture. Loads of burnt brown sugar and caramel are on the tip of my tongue then the hops start shining through. Grassy, and earthy noble flavors almost mute any of the west coast citrus hops that are included in this recipe and once you swallow there is a oily resin left over your mouth that is a sure sign that the fresh hops are there. I am really lacking the complexity that everyone was raving about in this beer, maybe my can was not properly stored or maybe it is on the cusp of getting old but it says it was released in early October so I doubt that. In the finish there is a touch of honey with some of the piny resin taste that is left over from the initial hop burst.

Drinkability:

Overall, I would say based of my experience that this was a good beer just not a stellar one. I have had quite a few Surly beers and they all were excellent examples of their style and this one is no exception its just not what I was expecting. I have done some research on this beer and people have given it great reviews and raved how this was a hop bomb and a world class beer but I'd have to disagree. Again, good drinkable fresh hop ale but not the A+ style in my opinion, if you come across this beer I'd definitely give it a shot before it gets too old and the hops fade completely.

Bmoyer0301, Oct 31, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -9.9%

big ups to shep133 for the hook up

pours a clear crisp slightly orange and deep gold with a massive foamy pillow head. lacing all over and great retention

light dank hops with a slightly sweet malt profile

very resiny and earthy all around with a quite dank undertone going on. light citrus and pine lay beneath and combine with the sweet malty backbone.

full body, moderate carbonation, sweetness.

drinks pretty easy, very vivid and flavorful.

hooliganlife, Oct 31, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to Xcal29 I'm able to sample another Surly brew. Thanks Mike.

A - Giant slightly tan head of a few inches with a very slow retreat. The lacing is very nice. The body has a nice golden color and is clear as crystal.

S - The hop aromas are absolutely amazing! This has to be one of the best scents I've ever encountered in an IPA. Piny hop with a slight musty accent.

T - Good pine hop flavor with a nice bitterness to accent.

M - While I assume the beer's name refers more to the process by which this beer is created, it too gives a good representation of what to expect in the brew's feel. Wet.

~ I strongly urge you to try this beer. It has a clean refreshing character to it that is not all that common in an IPA.

cdkrenz, Oct 31, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -13.3%

16oz can - Canned October 13th, 2010 - Poured into my Surly tulip...

Pours dark golden orange/amber color, clear, with three fingers of thick, meringue-like white head, lots of lacing is left behind...

Aroma is a bit weaker than expected. Sweet, juicy hops are the focus, but there is a lot of malt too, a bit too much, really cuts into the fresh hop aroma. Earthy and mildly floral, not the punch in the face I was expecting but still pretty appealing...

Earthy, leafy bitterness, a bit sticky with resinous, piny hops. A bit of a citrus twist, but not much, this one remains earthy and bitter. A bit of sweet malt pokes through and then becomes too much...is it honey? Finish is bitter and lingering...

Medium bodied with good carbonation. Resinous and a bit sticky, drinks a bit thicker than it is...bitter and drying long into the finish...

Not a bad beer, but I guess my expectations were higher. Not the aromatic punch in the face I was expecting and the taste was just too sweet...

hawks10, Oct 30, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

16oz can into a cervoise. Canned Oct 11, 2010. Reviewed Oct 28, 2010.

A - Crystal clear, whisky brown. Fine, creamy looking off white head, decent lacing.

S - Floral, smells like what you'd expect a hop farm to smell like during harvesting. Aromatic, earthy, outside.

T - Awesome grass hops, enough fruity grapefruit and lemon to balance with a touch of sugary malt.

M - Medium to light body, chewy and decent balance

D - Awesome beer that you can tell is just on the edge of being a hop bomb, with just a little nudge it would be!

I poured about 9-10 oz into my glass for review. Then I drank the rest out of the can because for some reason I prefer to drink craft out of the cans they come in and not out of a glass (unless reviewing of course). Sweet!!

OakedCanuck, Oct 29, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

I got a four pack thanks to Lenny1203, thanks a lot man. Me and my friends each drank a can and we all agreed that this was a pretty good beer. I think this may be the best wet hop beer I have ever had. It really captures the hop oil in the aroma and the taste, its strong and distinctive. This is easily identified as wet hopped and I honestly can't think of how to define teh flavor other than super hoppy and dank. Not much pine or citrus that I could detect, this was all humulus lupus, fresh nugs. I wish I could buy this.

ArrogantB, Oct 29, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

A: clean copper pour.

S: crisp, floral nose with a bit of piney-grassy accents.

T: holy fresh! (I haven't tasted many fresh IPA's so bear with me) immediately struck by a sweetness that tapers off with the bitter hops lasting...this has such a nice balance of taste. I totally need to check out more fresh hopped brews!

M: high carbonation, medium bodied nice overall feel on the tongue.

D: definitely drinkable...I'd have this as a staple in my fridge if the shelf life wasn't so short, limited and a bit spendy. very well crafted brew! I suppose I expect that from Surly!

msjacilynn, Oct 29, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -14.4%

Thanks Doug!!! You're the man! Live review.

Pours a nice orangey color, with some amber hues. Nice two finger foam fades slowly with great retention and some good lacing.

Aroma is nice and fresh, but not quite pungent enough. It manages to be juicy and grassy in its hop character but not as piercingly aromatic as some. Juicy citrus, but it's pretty fruity too. Apricot and mango along with some herbal hoppiness. The taste is the similar, but maltier and I find myself wishing it were more bitter and finished drier. The mouthfeel is nice and full, there is bitterness through the finish but it could be a little more aggressive for the weight of this beer.

It's got a TON of great juicy hop flavor but lacked the structure and finish to take it to the next level. I'll have no trouble finishing the rest of these cans....Thanks again!

Ineedabeerhere, Oct 28, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Deep golden body with a slight haze and small amounts of carbonation noticeable. Decent crop of white head on top with good cling. Nice fresh hop aroma. Citric fruits and pine and grass. Grapefruit and lemon. Nice juicy hop flavor. Bright citrus tones with grapefruit, tangerine and orange all coming to mind. Some smokey resinous qualities as well. Bitterness is pretty even keeled. Nothing over the top. Moderately carbonated and medium bodied. Solid wet hop.

Bighuge, Oct 28, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to biniek13 for this. Poured into a pint. Canned 10/12/10

I get about half an inch of frothy white head which sits atop a clear golden body with some lively carbonation. The head dies down to an eighth of an inch of head and retains beautifully leaing all sorts of lacing down the glass. Beautiful.

Smells of dank, resinous hops right off the bat. Smells really green if you know what I mean. Pineapple, peaches, and pine. Smells great.

Tastes bright and bitter. Lots of tropical fruits and stone fruits. Pineapple, peaches, and apricots in particular. Then some sweet malt notes.

Smooth and creamy. Medium bodied. Nice carbonation. Good bitterness, but no real spiciness from the hops.

I think this is my favorite fresh hop ale this season. Well done Surly.

billshmeinke, Oct 28, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Big thanks to my wife for picking this up for me along with the Darkness.

16oz can poured into Duvel tulip.

A- Pours an autumn leaf orange that is completely transparent. A nice finger worth of head that leaves a cap on the beer and some decent lacing on the glass.

S- Big, bold, fresh hops. A very clean and crisp aroma. I am also picking up a decent amount of malt and some biscuit. Also a little sweetness like honey.

T- The can says it was canned on 10-12-10 so it is two weeks old at this point. The flavor is pure hops and super fresh. Nice and piney but it really covers up the malt. You can pick up a little honey like sweetness but the biscuit that is apparent in the nose, is gone. I don't think I have ever had a beer with the hops tasting this fresh.

M- Medium bodied that is a touch on the thin side. The hops have some bite but not a ton. What it doesn't have in bite, it makes up for in dryness. Decent carbonation.

D- A remarkably clean tasting beer. Pretty hop forward but with as fresh as this beer is, thats a good thing. I don't know how this would taste being a few months old and I don't want to find out. I am glad I was able to get a 4 pack of this and if you can soon I would suggest that you do so.

Wisconsinality, Oct 27, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +5%

Pours with a bright white head that's about a finger thick. Some light creamy structure to this before it finally collapses. The beer is a bright gold color with excellent clarity.. Lone bubbles rise to the surface now and again. Slight lacing.

Aroma is bright and fresh with a citrus focus. Pretty floral. A slight green or vegetal aroma as well, but I don't mean this as a negative. Very fresh. Also a light cracker/doughy sense to this.

Really nice beer. Just the way I like it. Fresh, bold but well balanced. And I admit my sense of balance includes a great deal of hop presence. The malt tones just below the surface are very nice and work perfectly with the big hop flavors. Certainly grapefruit peel here and a wonderful fresh flavor. There is a tiny sense of alcohol near the finish, but no here near "hot" The green from the aroma comes across as a bit grassy and this works nicely with the cracker tones from the malt.

Light in body, but larger in the mouth from the fresh hops.

Wonderfully drinkable and a great beer. Drink it fresh and while it's available. I need to get more next year.

Reagan1984, Oct 26, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Canned 15 Days ago. (10/11/10) Poured into Bells Tulip.

A - Pours deep amber color with two finger thick white head. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Looks like a perfect IPA. Decent Lacing after the head fades a bit.

S - Floral, fruity hops. Obviously fresh. Some Pine and herbs, and some malt as well. Mostly just super fresh Hops.

T - Very Hop forward with sweetness. Some earthy flavors, pine, grass. Has a crisp bitter finish.

M - A little heavy on the carbonation. Not too heavy, but still all of that sticky hop flavor that usually feels like you could chew on it.

D - Ohhhh Surly, why do you have to be so far away? This could get a drinkability of 10 (out of 5) if I could get the stuff. No alcohol flavors at all, great hoppy beer, and 4 bucks a pint isn't really all that bad.

BeerThursdays, Oct 26, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

16 oz can served in a Duvel tulip

A - Light amber ale with a massive white head and great lacing

S - Fresh, floral, fruity hops and a substantial amount of honey

T - Citrus and floral hops hit right away and are quickly joined by some earthy, grassy notes and subtle spiciness. The bitterness continues and is complemented by a sweet malt backbone halfway through. The finish is fruity, piny bitter bliss, partially toned down by honey, but strong enough to linger for minutes after tasting.

M - Very nicely carbonated, medium-bodied.

D - I would session this.

Never thought I'd say this, but I like this beer in a can quite a bit more than on-tap. The bitterness is far more pronounced for me in the canned Wet, as I felt the honey and other sweet malty elements dominated the on-tap version (which I had several times over the weekend). Fantastic beer here.

klikger, Oct 26, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

I had this brew last year on draft, while it was good, it didn't wow me. While I managed to make it home from Darkness Day with a can dated 10/11/10 (today is the 25th) with much thanks to millah. This time around, the beer seems to be a whole different animal (perhaps due to freshness) so I thought it would be fitting to review this canned version.

A: Deep clear gold, foamy 2 finger white head, fluffy, lots of lacing, good retention

S: the nose features an array of tropical fruits with mango and grapefruit standing out. Beneath the fruity hops is some grainy base malt aroma which is followed by a stiff bitterness in the form of pine. There seems to be a lot going on here and the hop profile is bursting with freshness.

T: bitter hops hit the palate first and are followed by the tropical fruit notes. Pine up front, followed by mango, a bit of bready grains, and a big bitter finish with a lot of pine a resinous character. The taste is a little more bitter than the nose suggests, but there certainly isn't any shortage of hop character here.

MF: high carbonation, medium body, long finish with lingering bitterness left on the palate

D: Surly surely knows how to get the most out of their hops. This beer doesn't live up to Furious or Abrasive, but that is only because those are my all time favorite IPAs.

homebrew311, Oct 26, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from can into tulip. Golden amber in color, white head fades to ring with excellent lacing. Smell is impressive for a wet hop - Lots of resin and pine, light malts, some tropical fruits buried under all the piney hops. Taste is very similar to smell, lots of pine tree hops and a light malt presence to provide a tiny bit of balance. Columbus hops stand out most in the flavor, where the citra is more noticeable in the smell. Not terribly bitter but very tasty hops. Mouthfeel is medium body and medium carbonation. I would prefer it to be a bit drier. Overall an excellent beer, I love the smell. One of my favorite wet hop beers. Wish this one was available in Chicago.

nkersten, Oct 25, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A-Orange/tan colored....white puffy head

S-Piney, grassy, herbal...fresh...

T-Not as much citrus as I'd expect from Simcoe and Citra but it does have some of that...also nice herbal, grassy hop flavors and a sublte but sweeter maltiness that really works well with the hop load...

M-Good dose of bitterness on the finish but not as abrasive as Brau Brothers or even TH's 2010 Wet Hop.

D-Very enjoyable wet hop IPA. I had high expectations for this and it meets it. Tough call between this and TH's this year. TH is slightly more vibrant but it is splitting hairs.

ZAP, Oct 25, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks go cmurren25 for sharing this at the pumpkin murren event at Al's.

Pint sized can poured into a snifter, this brew appears a clear golden orange color with a creamy white head. Spotty lace clings to the glass.

The aroma is fresh hops that have some floral and fruity character like pineapple blended with grassy notes, citrus and herbs. A sweetness somewhat mango-like resides inside the nose. The herbal aspect of the smell comes across somewhat minty with a touch of alcohol.

The taste of this brew is grassy and herbal with a fresh, lightly grainy sweet backing. It finishes herbal like mint with flavor before turning bitter and a bit oily. The alcohol and carbonation level provide a pleasant tingle in the back of the throat with an increasing amount of alcohol warmth. Medium to light in the body, this brew was very drinkable.

stakem, Oct 25, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Pours a clear caramel color with a quarter of an inch head that leaves very nice lacing.

S: Fresh lemon with hints of pine. also a fair amount of grassiness and floral hop aroma as well

T: Very earthy and grassy up front with a crisp caramel note in the finish. there is also a bit of lemon and pine in the finish as well

M: Really smooth with a good level of creaminess. there is only a touch of roughness but not bad at all.

D: I could drink this one all day without any problems at all. another winner from surly

mikey711, Oct 24, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Had this on tap last year, first time from a can. Pours a perfectly clear golden color, maybe some pale orange in the center, with a small white head that left some surprisingly decent lacing. Wonderful grapefruit and citrusy aroma. There's a little bit of peppery spiciness in the back that I typically don't like, but in these small amounts, it's almost herbal and lightly floral. Mmmm, nice bitterness in this beer. It's not overpowering, but works well the semi sweet malt, with notes of grapefruit, orange, pepper (light), and a sticky resinous finish. This is good stuff! Body is above medium and it's got a lingering dry finish. Very nice beer, but the bitterness overwhelms me after awhile. One or two at a time is ideal.

KeefD, Oct 24, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +14%

Canned 10/11/10 and Consuming 10/22/10 So Fresh!!!

16oz can into a DFH Snifter

A- Pours a clear as day golden orange with a nice 1 finger white head that rests on top.

S- Stanky Dankin fresh earthy hops. Smells like I literally have fresh pulled greens in my glass. Grass, pine, and citrus. What else could a hop head ask for!!!!??!?!

T- Soooo smooth but the second that gulp goes down those insanely bitter hops rip the tongue apart leaving it numb and begging for more. Much like the smell it's just straight up intense IPA that should be doubled. Crazy pine and grass with a nice citrus background, sitting on top of some very pleasant and surrendering malts that really fill the brew out nicely. Couldn't really ask for much more, this beer has it.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation surprisingly even due to freshness. And of course the crazy bitter dry finish.

SkÅL!!!

Arenbeer, Oct 23, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

Canned 10/11/10. Consumed 10/19/10. I like those numbers. Big shout out to Einweizenbitte for making this possible! Thanks again Todd.

Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance: Cracking the can unleashed a bouquet of wonderfully hoppy aromas. The pour was fantastic. Dumping Wet right down center of my goblet produced a gorgeous cascade of bubbles and at least two fingers worth of dense, eggshell-colored froth. A modest column of carbonation did its best to hold up the massive pile, but eventually it collapsed, dragging a thick web of lacing in its wake. The body looks like polished copper; bright and crystal clear. Head retained as a creamy cap for the entire session. Excellent!

Smell: Ocean-sprayed pine trees, tangerines, herbs, grapefruit, earth, and lemon zest. I can't help but think of fresh Sculpin right now - I'd love to try it next to fresh Wet. Pungent, complex, and delightfully hoppy.

Taste: Mango, grapefruit, pine, earth, and hop resin. Each sip starts off with several seconds worth of sweet, tangy, complexity; followed by a delicately adjusted bitter finish, dominated by earth and pine. This section was really hard to put into words. India Pale Ale bliss.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and resinous with soft, rolling carbonation. Finishes a bit sticky and dry, with the perfect amount of bitterness. Aftertaste is earthy, bitter, and long-lasting.

Drinkability: Have I achieved nirvana? My mind is at ease. I crave nothing; care for nothing. Oh shit, the can's empty. Dammit. I could really go for some more Wet. Thank Buddha, I've got two more cans of nirvana replenishment in the fridge. Ohhhmmmm...

ThreeWiseMen, Oct 23, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Aroma: (10/12)
The smell of fresh/wet hops hit the nose, first. The first thing to pop in my head is of a west-coast IPA. Citrusy nose, with some black pepper as well / some earthiness. Not a hop bomb on the nose, though.

Appearance: (3/3)
The Golden Ale is very clear and has a perfect golden hue for this style. Very clear and golden-hued. Obvious filtration utilized. Poured about a one-fingered head from the 16 oz. can. Head does dissipate quite quickly.

Flavor: (18/20)
Nice maltiness here to balance the hops. I get the malts on the front to middle of the tongue, the hops come to the forefront on the back end and at the aftertaste. Extremely fresh-tasting - as it was canned, yesterday.

Mouthfeel: (5/5)
Some stickiness / dankness here; really nice. Very clean, with a light body.

Overall Impression: (9/10)
Extremely fresh and green-tasting. Reminiscent of the Furious backbone/malt. This isn't an uber hop bomb, but is extremely clean and refreshing. I have to try this on tap! On cask would be amazing....!

TOTAL: 45/50

mnbrewery, Oct 22, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another wonderful IPA from Surly. Beer is amber and clear with moderate carbonation and a big white head of small and medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Looks good.

Aroma is super hoppy, lots of piny, its really strong, smells awesome.

Beer is light and dry with monster hops in there. The hop flavors dominate both the front and the mid palate. The dryness leaves this lingering bitterness to the whole thing. Its wonderful, dangerously drinkable, the bitterness is growing with every sip. Its very wonderful. One of my favorite IPA. This is slightly unfortunate since I can't get much of it.

drabmuh, Oct 22, 2010