Wet - Surly Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

ABV: 7.5% v/v
COLOR: 6 ºSRM
IBU: 90
AVAILABILITY: October

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
younger35

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

Picked up a 4-pack of this stuff from Edina Liquors for $15.99. Pricy but worth it this year. Drank from my Minneapolis Town Hall weizen glass while watching the Desperation Bowl (Dallas vs. Minnesota).

Appearance- Pours a light crystal clear yellowish orange with a decent half finger fluffy off-white head. The head actually disappears fairly quickly and no lacing or head is left what-so-ever.
Smell- Very fresh and super fruity with hints of mango and pineapple right from the pfffttt of the can. Almost a green apple like scent as well and I almost always get a sort of light vegetable thing on the Wet Hopped brews. It's not bad, it's just really the only way I can describe it.
Taste- Nice light bitterness upfront along with a somewhat subdued fruitiness. Some hoppy peach notes along with a touch of pineapple and mango. The beer is actually a bit more intensely flavored than most Wet Hopped brews. The bitterness grows and but is quickly cut off by a surprisingly noticeable biscuit malt finish. The malt adds just the lightest touch of caramel in the finish.
Mouthfeel- Light body with a nice tinge of carbonation that is spot on.
Drinkability- I really like Wet this year a lot. Last year's was a bit boozy and just sort of out of whack. This years is freaking spot on delicious. Everything is right in balance (for a bitter, hoppy IPA anyways) and it's a wonderfully enjoyable beer.

10-17-2010 23:47:47 | More by younger35
morimech

4.1/5  rDev -6%

Canned 10/11/10

Clear amber color with two fingers of head that had good retention before settling to a thin cap. A little sticky lacing is left on the glass. The most surprising thing about the appearance is the almost total lack of carbonation bubbles. Wow does this beer ever smell heavenly. Full on hop goodness. Hints of pine and grapefruit. More woodsy than fruity. The flavor did not capture my attention like the aroma had done. I am not a huge fan of most harvest ales as they are too one dimensional for my tastes, and this one is venturing into that territory. There is a little malt sweetness in the background but otherwise it is a mouthfull of pine and grapefruit. A little medicinal in the finish. Bitterness does not feel as high as what is claimed. Almost like Abrasive Ale in that regard. Very low carbonation. Just enough to liven the beer a little. Seems to work on these high IBU beers. I found this more drinkable than some other IPAs that go this route. The little malt that I did taste, helps this go down easier.

10-17-2010 17:21:45 | More by morimech
Timmah11

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

16 ounce can poured into an over-sized wine glass. Canned on 13-Oct-2010, reviewed on 16-Oct-2010.

A- Pours a clear light orange. Medium head that dissipates quickly. Heavy lacing left on glass as beer is consumed. Low carbonation.

S - Fresh hops of course. Grapefruit and other citrus flavors dominate more than any pine scent. Nice smell but not as strong as I would have expected.

T- Very nice. The grapefruit taste is dominate. As well balanced as a fresh hopped beer can be. Very West Coast styled.

M- Great smooth mouthfeel. Perfect amount of bitterness that should be expected for the style.

D- Easy drinking and delicious.

10-17-2010 16:11:26 | More by Timmah11
JeremyHB

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

Purchased this beer the morning of its first deliveries in Minneapolis on 10-12-2010. The bottom has a canned on date that reads 10-11-2010.

Poured into a pint it had a tremendous amount of high quality head that almost had a green tint to it. Not sure if this was a reflection of the bright green can it was poured from or my mind just playing tricks on me. My initial reaction was a little surprise at the clarity... Made me think about the rumors of Surly using isinglass to clarify their beer. (It is an exceptional clarifying agent but some people freak out about it because it is an extract of a sturgeon or codfish swim bladder and therefore crosses some vegan/vegetarian ethical lines)

I will reiterate - exceptionally clear with a bright golden color and excellent head.
The hop character in the nose is also exceptional. My first thought was that it smelled like a freshly mowed yard.

EDIT: I have had this beer multiple times since this review and each time I noticed progressively less and less of that wonderful piney/grassy aroma. This is certainly an example of a beer best had at the peak of its freshness. It's no wonder Surly only releases it over the span of about a week and it says on the side of the can DRINK NOW! DO NOT AGE. That first two day old can was like a revelation.

Drinkability was very nice too.. Left me wanting more. Noticed a heavy bitterness to it that lingers quite a while after swallow.
Lots of resinous citrus flavor and a nice amount of barley backbone.

Beers like this make me wish there was a better way to preserve that amazing freshness exhibited in so many CA style IPA's like this.
At least I live near enough to get it while the gettings good.

10-17-2010 15:18:11 | More by JeremyHB
plumcrazyfx

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

We're lucky in Minnesota - Surly Wet and Town Hall Fresh Hop both released on the same day. This one was canned 3 days before drinking - how's that for fresh. This one pours a clear copper with a large head that fades to a film of bubbles throughout the drinking. Smells nice and fresh, not overly hoppy smelling. Has a grassy, green hop taste backed up by just enough slightly sweet malt to make this a well rounded beer. Finished very crisp - that's what I noticed most about this beer. It finishes very clean with a slightly minty smack. This is an easy drinking beer. I could drink alot of these. Had this one within the same week as having the Fresh Hop. If I had to pick one I'd have to give a slight edge to the Fresh Hop due to a slightly bigger backbone than the Wet. That said, I can't drink many of those due to how filling it was, this one the other had could be an all day beer if you take it slow.

10-17-2010 11:53:59 | More by plumcrazyfx
brewerburgundy

3.58/5  rDev -17.9%

16oz can, goblet, canned 10/11/10.

Light orange, specifically clear orange juice, with a large, fluffy head of white.

Orange marmalade, buttery yeast, pear, and grassy hops make up a nose that is underwhelming for a five day old wet hop West coast IPA. Unfortunately, Surly struck out on the most important component of a wet hop beer, the aroma.

Decently sweet pale malt and the delicious orange marmalade balance well against orange and Meyer lemon peel bitterness. The flavors aren't typical West coast IPA, but the juiciness is.

Pretty malty and the carbonation has faded quickly, the juicy and oily factors save this.

The aroma just kills it, and because of that I would not go out and buy this again. I think of wet hop ales being some of the beers I just want to sit and smell. I also think Surly went a little too big on the abv. A case of so close and yet so far.

10-17-2010 02:53:54 | More by brewerburgundy
dogger6253

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

My first thought on this beer is about the head. It is one of the most glorious heads I've ever seen, extremely thick, lasts for days if you let it. The body is a clear, amber color. Very pure. Spiderweb lacing throughout.

The nose is huge on the floral hops with a lot of citrus in there too. Very rich aroma at first, but after a while, the power in the nose seems to diminish.

Flavor is just what you'd expect, rich and crisp hops. Lots of grassy flavor, with a backbone of fresh grapefruit. A lingering pine aftertaste. There is a medium body, somewhat thick, but crisp at the same time. Lots of fruity flavor, but the fruit doesn't get much time to shine as this beer is intensely bitter. Not for the faint of heart, but hop-heads will feel right at home.

10-17-2010 00:58:49 | More by dogger6253
joshuaguck

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from 16 oz can into a pint glass.

Light bronze in color with a two-finger thick white foam head.
The instant the seal is broken a burst of citra hops fills the air, which intensifies as it is poured into the glass.
The initial taste of crisp citrus consumes your palate as you take the first sip. The swallow leaves a dry and slightly bitter sensation in your mouth.
All in all it was an excellent brew.

10-17-2010 00:23:51 | More by joshuaguck
Gump

3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

Clean, clear and plenty of foam. Very impressed by the clarity. Head settles to nothing after a couple minutes.

Fresh hop odor. Not flowery, but pungent hop aroma. This may smell like body odor to some, which I won't disagree

with, but it also smells viney, fresh-weed like.

I can't help but search out the hops at first taste. Starts out sweet, then pause to feel the slick mouthfeel then

the dry, biting hop aftertaste hits.
I think this was intentionally brewed light, to let the hops shine. Low malt.
This beer forces you to appreciate the true hop flavor.

10-16-2010 23:59:02 | More by Gump
dberthia

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

I bought a 4 pack of Surly Wet on October 12th from Heritage Licquour in Maplewood, Minnesota and it had been just delivered to them that morning. The beer was canned on October 10th! I have never drank a beer that the hops tasted so fresh on the pallete than Surly Wet! This was one of the most enjoyable beers I have ever had and hope that it becomes available on tap and many bars in the twin cities as I have only heard it being available at a select few including The Blue Door Pub in Saint Paul.

Cheers!

10-16-2010 19:56:31 | More by dberthia
caskstrength

3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

Going up against high expectations here. Citra and simcoe, 5 days old according to the canning date. Surly, hops, fresh, etc. Drooling as I pour....

Look is beautiful. Perfect 1/2 inch head when poured carefully into a Surly pint glass. Golden yellow, no sediment. Shines, makes the room a bit brighter.

Smell is grassy and earthy. Where is all the citra citrus? Pine in the back seat too. Some bready and grainy smells from the malts. Not the pavlovian response inducing pungency I was expecting.

Taste disappoints for the relative lack of rich, juicy depth. Grassy hops strong, a nice earthy character to them. Grainy malts balance just enough with some simple sweetness. I can find more to the hops if I really focus as it warms, but the grassy flavors stay front and center. (Liked the earthy vibe overall though, best part of the beer. It just needed more traditional hop character to work with it.)

Crisp and clean on the mouthfeel, appropriately bitter. Not an enamel peeler at all. Pretty easy drinking.

A good beer. Not a great beer. More subdued than I was hoping, and more of a one trick pony than other fresh hops I've enjoyed (Founders, Town Hall)

10-16-2010 12:55:55 | More by caskstrength
jjanega08

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

A= The pour is a nice translucent light amber color with a good looking thick foamy finger of head that holds excellent retention and lacing. The head gives off that almost green color I get with a lot of wet hop beers... may be my imagination though. I will note that this looks a little lighter than last years wet???

S= Like a hop field. Soooo much pollen and resin in the smell. There is a good bit of green planty smell to it that I really love wet hop beers for. Though not as green smelling as Founders harvest this is still up there. Super delicious smelling.

T= The taste is just what I would expect coming from the smell. Super polleny and resious. Got a nice green taste to it that reminds me of plant material. The green flavor comes though a little more in the back sides of the tongue when you sip it. Really lovely.

M= Great carbonation for this beer. A masterpiece.

D= I could drink this beer forever. This is right up there with my favorite IPAs. Glad they canned this this year because I hate to review in bars and can never remember when I get home. This is my last can and I had it on tap last night and it only gets better the more I try it. I see myself running to the liquor store again real soon.

10-16-2010 03:46:09 | More by jjanega08
GeezLynn

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Light golden color with a nice white head that settles into a goopy film. One of the lighter IPAs I've seen in awhile, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise if they're really dialing back the malt here.

At first, the smell is not quite as potent as I'd hope for in a fresh hop ale, but it does open up given a little time. There's some nice grapefruit, apricot, and a little pine, and although I'd still consider it somewhat reserved, it is very appealing.

Flavor is a nice combination of citrus, pineapple and resinous pine. Pale malt contributes a light breadyness and sweetness, but is not taking any of the spotlight away from the hops. Finish is very long and stubbornly bitter.

Mouthfeel is oily with a full body and fine carbonation for a smooth chewy feel. Surly always hits this aspect right on the nail and this beer is no exception.

After drinking a few of these, I think it's a very good IPA, but not quite good enough to justify hops/expense. Personally, I'd like to see the recipe tweaked as the gnarly old Columbus hop bitterness obscures too many of the other delicate hop flavors that fresh Citra and Simcoe bring.

EDIT: original review was for 2010 version. I would rate 2011 about the same. 2012 version (all Simcoe)was easily better. Hop flavor was more potent and prolonged. Rating was adjusted to reflect this.

10-16-2010 03:17:50 | More by GeezLynn
herman77

4.23/5  rDev -3%

Edited ratings from 2012 version with straight Simcoe. Best version yet.

Canned 10/11, had my first one less than 24 hours after canning.
A: Pours a dark, clear gold with a moderate white head. Nice lacing as to be expected.

S: Grassy and fruity hops are. Grapefruit and lemon as well. Just a touch of biscuity malt lurking in the background. Not as pungent as I thought it would be.

T: Obviously its hoppy, is it a palate shredder? No. Floral, citrus and green/earthy hops all mixed up together with just enough biscuit and toffee malt to let you know its not completely one sided. Finishes with a nice sweet, floral and "green" bitterness. You can really taste the "greenness" in this one.

M: Medium body. Smooth, slightly creamy from the lower carbonation.

D: Pretty easy to drink, can't say that I can compare it to other wet hopped beers though.

Its very good, but not great. Had higher expectations since I've never had a wet hopped beer before and plus its from Surly.

10-15-2010 23:46:06 | More by herman77
hardy008

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

I had this last year on tap at Darkness Day last year. I am glad Surly decided to can this. "Canned 10/12/10 Get Wet" is printed on the bottom.

Pours a clear golden amber color with a bright white two finger head with great retention and lacing. Absolutely beautiful in the glass. The aroma has grapefruit, oranges, pine, and grass.

The taste has grapefruit, oranges, pine, and a lightly sweet malt backbone which makes for a superb combination. Hop bitterness reigns supreme, but is nicely balanced by the sweetness from the malt. This couldn't be better.

Smooth, easy to drink, perfectly carbonated, and light to medium bodied. This is so great, I could easily drink it all the time.

10-15-2010 01:44:27 | More by hardy008
brewdoc75

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a Surly pint glass. Canned on 10/11/10 (yeah I know, I may have aged this a little too long ;)

A: Light orange-yellow in color. Slight amber hue. A strong, bubbly head is there at first, but dies down to a 1/8 inch crown. All I have to say after that is "holy lace." This beer has some of the craziest, stickly lace I've seen in a while. Very nice.

S: No suprise that there a tons of hops in the nose. Lots of fruitiness. I get strong orange and pineapple notes. Maybe some tropical fruits like papaya/mango too. This is followed up by a pleasant pine and grapefruit aroma. Faint sweetness from the malts, just to let you know they are there. Really a nice, aromatic beer, but didn't hit me as hard as some others.

T: More beautiful hop flavors. The hoppy flavors seem to trend more toward the pineapple and orange. There is some grapefruit-piney bitterness, but it is pleasant and well-balanced. I do get a hint of grassiness in the end. This is something that can plague a fresh-hop ale. In this beer it is there, slightly, but not overpowering. Even though the description of the malts is fairly bland, they do come out nicely in the flavor. I get a light honey sweetness with just a hint of toast. They really balance the beer out nicely.

M: Light-medium bodied. Very crisp on the palate. Finishes slightly sticky from the abundance of hops. Slight bitter twinge in the back of the throat, but what would you expect from an IPA.

D: Overall, this is a very flavorful, aromatic, hoppy masterpiece. It doesn't hit "5s" in my opinion due to some very minor faults. Nevertheless, this is an epic beer. It would score a 5 for drinkability for me, but the price is a little too steep at 16 bucks a 4 pack. I would buy at least two to three more 4-packs though. If you have the chance to try this beer, you should. It is truly a great fresh hopped beer. I've had some that really suck and some that are phenomenal. This one falls in the latter category. Great job Surly!

10-15-2010 01:21:38 | More by brewdoc75
boomer31

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Had this on tap last year and enjoyed it, happy to see it come to cans!

A - Golden and transparent with a nice tiny bubble of a head. Very sticky on the glass

S - Grass and huge citrus/grapefuity just all over your nose.

T - More bitter grapefruit and piney going down. This is a stark contrast from Surly's other American IPA but just as hoppy and tasty. Not dry but you do feel like you took a bite out of a grapefruit that just fell onto freshly mown grass.

M - Sticky form all the hops but a great high carb

D - If you like hops this is a fun beer. I wouldn't consider this balanced in that the hops are just all over your toungue. But a great beer that keeps you coming back for more

I'm very happy Surly canned this bad boy cuz it is a solid IPA. If you like these fresh hop/wet hop beers I'd seek this one out.

10-14-2010 23:31:22 | More by boomer31
WYVYRN527

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 16 ounce can into my Russian River glass.

A: This brew pours a crystal clear bright orange color with a foamy off-white head that settles slowly to a thick froth on the surface. Lacing is sticky and lingers on the glass walls. Lively carbonation as well.

S: Wet smells exactly like a fresh hopped beer should smell. Extremely floral, citrusy, and grassy, the aroma is almost all hop, with just a touch of biscuit and grain in the backround.

T: Bring on the hops! Spring flower, grapefruit, and grassy notes dominate the palate, along with a hint of cedar. Caramel and toast-like malt rounds off the flavor. Finish is refreshingly dry, and quite long lasting.

Notes: Wet is medium bodied, resinous, and extremely flavorful. Flavors dance around the palate for minutes after each sip. There's a lot going on in this brew, and at the same time, it's incredibly easy to drink. Quite possibly my favorite canned release from Surly. A job well done, guys!

10-14-2010 03:58:23 | More by WYVYRN527
icemonkey908

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16oz can into a pint glass. Fresh hop aroma is immediately evident as the beer is being poured. Appearance is a vibrant copper. A moderate head dissipates rather quickly. The taste is all about the hops. Very grassy, fresh and vibrant. Intense and aromatic.

10-14-2010 02:22:32 | More by icemonkey908
Tballz420

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Very clear golden colored brew. Sizeable memory foam head, tan colored. Sticks to the glass. Scent is all floral hops with some fruity notes such as grapefruit. Smells very good. Probably because it tastes very good too. A light malt front, almost like a pils without the lagered fermentation, given how light the malt profile is compared to the hops, which is clearly the highlight. Lots of sticky icky going on here. Floral, bitter and citrus, its got em all. Fairly thin, and a wet feel. Good stuff

10-14-2010 01:40:12 | More by Tballz420
KarlHungus

4.97/5  rDev +14%

This beer pours a crystal clear reddish bronze color. The head is a rocky two inches of foam that recedes slowly into nice sticky lacing. This is a beautiful looking beer. The aroma is very bright with hops. Floral hops, herbal hops, piney hops, and a hint of grapefruity hops all mingling together perfectly. The taste has a very sharp bitterness that comes across first. However, behind it there is a plethora of complex hop flavor. It tastes like a hop rainbow in a glass. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with moderate, fine carbonation. The texture is extremely silky which is immediately noticeable, and adds a lot to the taste. Overall, this is a great beer. I am a huge fan of wet hopped beers, and this beer is the best I've ever had. If only hops could be harvested year round.

10-14-2010 01:38:52 | More by KarlHungus
BuckettOfBeer

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

I biked all over to find this today and I am not disappointed. One of the most refreshing brews I've had the pleasure of tasting, made all the better by this beautiful fall day. It's not Furious and nor should it be. The taste of Wet is just perfect hops. It's bitter but not too much to slow me down. I dub this beer the Fresh Prince of Minnesota.

10-13-2010 19:31:27 | More by BuckettOfBeer
tewaris

3.73/5  rDev -14.4%

16 oz canned two days ago, bitches, poured into a Samuel Adams perfect pint on the early morning of October 13, 2010.

Appearance 5/5
Crystal clear amber-orange with a big off white head and great lacing. Looks the way an IPA should.

Aroma 4/5
Pine, mango, and papaya. Only complaint? Strength. Any IPA Surly churns out will always be compared to Furious, and this is not as furious -- I can smell it! Yet, very very nice.

Taste 3.5/5
Fruity hops dance on palate with enough malts in the background. I have to say that malts hold up alright, against what Surly says about this beer, "This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors." This beer is not bitter at all in the first impression although after a finish that's not as dry as advertised, an intense bitterness can be felt in the back of the mouth. I wonder what's up with the finish, given the clarity and brewer's statement! Good as it is, it doesn't belong "up there" in my opinion.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Almost perfect, but the finish is sweet for the body, and the carbonation seems a tad low.

Drinkability 3.5/5
This one needs more bitterness, cleaner finish and higher carbonation. Also needed is a lower ABV for a beer this easy to drink!

10-13-2010 11:32:43 | More by tewaris
pdoran10

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

pours out a light orange color with two fingers of head that leaves decent but not great lacing. a lot lighter than all of surly other hoppy beers. definitely fits the label description of west coast style IPA on the label.

smell is some grassy resinous hops, lemon, a hint of orange. smells are a bit muted.

nice taste going on here. lemon, grapefruit, pine, resin, sticky goodness. no balance here, hops carry. really nice flavors going on, not as strong of flavors as i thought i would get. good taste.

mouthfeel is a bit thin not much malt going on, which is obviously by design being a west coast ipa, but i still miss that balance. hops are the star. moderate carbonation just fine.

could drink a few of these, wish the flavors were a bit stronger

10-13-2010 08:53:25 | More by pdoran10
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.73/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2010 Version Canned 10-12-10

Poured into surly pint glass.

Pours 1/2 finger of white head. Leaves some lace. Color is a clear golden orange.

Aroma: Earthy hops, some citrus, bready malts. The nose is fresh, but fairly muted.

Taste: A bit more flavor here. Sweet citrus flavors. Earthy pine hops. The has some bready malts. It is overall a sweet tasting ipa.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and sweet. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends sticky with a hop resin taste.

Overall, I am not that impressed with this year's batch. I was really excited for the citra hops, but it just didn't work. Good, but nothing mind blowing. Decent drinkability.

10-12-2010 22:45:43 | More by mothman