Wet - Surly Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

ABV: 7.5% v/v
COLOR: 6 ºSRM
IBU: 90
AVAILABILITY: October

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009)
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Big thanks to rudylaw for this exceptional extra!

Pours a nice coppery orange from a very green tall boy can. Minimal head retention, but leaves some sticky lacing down the glass. Smell is not quite as 'in your face' as I was hoping for, but still quite nice. Earthy, grassy hops. Taste is where this beer shines. Very well balanced for my tastes.. big, juicy hop flavor. A slight malty sweetness, followed by a moderately bitter finish. Mouthfeel is a little bit sticky, but that's kind of expected with a highly fresh hopped IPA, finishes light though. I could easily drink a 4-pack of these if I had them... so drinkability is high. Overall, this is a very enjoyable IPA. Surly needs to step up production a little and start shipping to nearby states!

3.8/5  rDev -12.8%

A - A nice orangish color with a white head that receded to a ring. Great lacing on the sides of this one made for a pretty drink.

S - Huge fresh hop aroma, very grassy and wet. I guess that explains the name. A litle bit of pine notes, maybe some resin.

T - I remember hearing a story a while ago about rice that used to be shipped to a small village in China. The shipping took a while and by the time it got there it would be moldy, but the people ate it anyway. When the train systems were put into place, they got fresh rice, but since the taste was so foreign, they didn't like it. They would let their rice sit for a while, until it molded, and then eat it that way. I think this beer is a lot like that for me, I am really not used to hops this fresh, it is a very interesting experience, it tastes good, but I like a beer like Furious a ton more. Interesting grassy taste, with an almost lager-like quality to it in some respects. Very, very fresh hops are super present, so definately lives up to the name and what they're trying to do.

M - Pretty smooth, with nice carbonation.

D - Easy enough to drink, but I would not necessarily call it "high" on that scale. Good beer, but would much rather have a Furious.

4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Can received as an extra in a trade with brian23456 who absolutely rocks!

Appearance: Pours a completely transparent golden copper with a 1 finger billlowy white crown that displays some retention and good lace. I'd give this one a 4.7 if I could so I'm rounding down a bit.

Smell: Nice wet hops (comes off more Simcoe dominant to me than Citra) over a biscuity malt. Not as pungent as I was hoping for but still nice.

Taste: Much more flavorful and satisfying than the nose. Hop bitterness is minimal but flavor is big (as expected with a fresh hop brew).

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: Total session brew.

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

16oz can poured into a pint glass. Canned on 10/11/10. Courtesy of oach. Thanks again, Scot

A: Standard IPA color - clear orange. Massive head on the initial pour (3+ fingers) which takes a few minutes to die down. Crazy amount of lacing and great head retention

S: I think I just got smacked in the face with hops. Ok, let me try again. Yup, still there. Just a massive amount of hop juice aroma. Some accompanying floral and pine notes

T: Lots of citrus and pine hops, but not a palate killer. Juicy citrus fruit, including but not limited to: orange, pineapple, melon

M: Medium bodied. Surprisingly light carbonation. Coats the mouth, very smooth actually. Some residual bitterness left on the front of the tongue

D: A mighty fine tasting IPA. This one didn't take long to finish as it's incredibly easy drinking. Can't wait until they (hopefully) brew this one again

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to paulv for the can!

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. Slightly hazy brown-orange body with a sticky white head on top. Plenty of sexy lacing on the glass.

Love the nose on this one. Lots of grassy-pine hops mixed with some more floral aromatic notes. Sweet malts mix with oranges and grapefruit. Smells pretty fresh, like hop leaves are floating in the beer.

The flavor has a very distinct caramel orange flavor to it that sets up the base for a big pile of hops. Grassy, slightly piny floral bitterness, yet still fairly sweet. Fairly fruity with biscuity malts.

Mouthfeel is smooth, slightly resiny with perfect carbonation. Body is fairly substantial, but doesn't feel heavy. Well put together.

Drinkability is great. Lots of hops, but still well balanced. Quite a bit of sweet orange citrus in this one. Furious is a great beer, but I like this one even more. I don't know if I'd call this west coast style, since it is still fairly balanced, but its a great beer either way. Definitely pick this one up soon if you can. Looks like I need to hunt down some fresh Abrasive Ale to complete the Surly IPA trifecta.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks Joe for sharing this treat, I always enjoy a Surly IPA...

A- Nice slightly darker golden straw that pours a nice light 1-2 fingers head that sticks to the glass in clumps.

S- Huge pine and citrus scent, like hops were squeezed out into a glass in front of me, mango, and loads of apricot which my wife picked out not to mention loads of pine, did I say that already.

T- Citrus fruits with that pine resin and oily hops that make my mouth water. Very light caramel backbone with a dry bitter finish that lasts and lasts.

M- Looks light but has a nice light/medium mouthfeel to it due to the resiny pine hops. Loads of flavor and tons of Hops for this hophead...

D- Really easy to drink, I think I still prefer the Furious but this is really good and I would suggest anybody that can get this should consider themselves lucky.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz cans into a pint glass.
Beautiful golden-orange color with a thick, foamy, 1" white head. Settles down to 1/2" with great retention.
Rich, juicy, fruity smells. Passion fruit and pineapple, sweet orange, a little hint of toffee.
The juicy fruitiness continues in the taste. Juicy orange and pineapple mainly, a little pine sap. The simcoe comes out in the finish with a pleasant dry bitterness, and a juicy aftertaste follows. Very well balanced.
Nice texture, light-medium bodied and smooth, ends a little viscous.
The juicy flavors and balance make it very drinkable.
The fruit flavors have faded a little since it was fresh (I've had it a few times since it came out), but still excellent. One of my favorite wet hop beers.

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Surly Wet! Awwwright! Thanks to Todd for the chance to try a 4-pack fresh from the source:

Appearance= Very nice firm white head with a great looking yellow/orangeish body. Carbonation is active. Great lacing.

Smell= Great. Fresh. Hop. Aroma. This is what you expect when you have a freshy fresh Wet hopped beer. Fantastic smells. It's like someone is chucking pine trees, citrus, grass and hop oils into a shredder and your standing where the shit gets shot out!

Taste= See above for flavors experienced here. Great taste to go along with a great nose.

Mouthfeel= Nice body, good carbonation. Damn near perfect for the style.

Drinkability= Wow. Does this stuff go down easy. In fact, this stuff goes down easier than Monica Lewinsky in the Oval Office. I may be in trouble if I dont have any more cans...O wait, I have 3 more. Yes!

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Beer poured a clear golden color with a nice white head on it. It looked clean, crisp and fresh.

Smelled of hops, lots of them. Smelled amazing.

The taste was hoppy, but there is a notable difference between fresh hops and hops that have been around for a while. This beer had an amazing freshness about it. It was smooth. Had a bold hit right up front and felt like it was full bodied like you could cut it with a knife.

This was awesome and I have to thank sweemzander with hooking me up with a can of this. Only problem is, now I wan't more.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance -- Pours a bright copper like a brand new penny with two fingers of stiff frothy parchment head. Lacing up the wazoo!

Smell -- Wow. LOTS of pine resin, grapefruit, a bit of cattiness, and dry bready malts. As one would expect, it's Surly cranked to 11.

Taste -- Pine tar, grapefruit must, grass, again some cattiness as in the nose. Malt is still quite dry, as surly is wont to do, though there is a dab of honey sweetness keeping the hops from being unbearably intense. Finish is long and bitter. Again, Surly to 11.

Mouthfeel -- A bit light in body with lively carbonation, but not too sharp. Goes down almost too easily.

Drinkability -- Easily in the top tier of harvest IPA's. It drinks just as you'd hope a Surly wet hop IPA would: an abundance of hop bitterness with only the bare minimum of malt sweetness. Good stuff, but be forewarned: this is a one-and-done palate annihilator. Save this beast for last...

**Note: I was fortunate enough to have some of this at Darkness Day, and this stuff on tap is by a firm margin the hoppiest beer I've EVER had. Everything I had to drink afterward didn't taste right.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A -- An bronze golden brew that pours a fluffy head that sticks around a while and leaves a good amount of lacing.

S -- Huge citrus notes, peach, apricot, and light grassy notes that amplify as the brew warms.

T -- Great tones of lemon zest, grapefruit, earthy / grassy notes. A nice sweetness balances perfectly with the bitterness leaving a slightly dry but not drying finish.

M -- Light on the tongue but solid on the palate. A ton of flavor without being ridiculously heavy.

D -- Approachable for the uninitiated but still intriguing for the most seasoned veteran. Phenomenal brew.

Poured from a can into my tulip.

A: Mostly clear amber gold. About one finger of bright white head. No lace small cap.

S: Nice floral hop bouquet. Mostly pine sap and freshly picked hop cones. Green as hell. Reminds me of wet cut grass.

T: Similar to the nose just a bit less floral. More wet grass and fresh green hop cones. Just a touch of dry malt sweetness. Mild black earth.

M: Medium to light body. Dry finish.

D: Overall a nice hop forward beer. Nothing really over the top. Quite tasty.

3.85/5  rDev -11.7%

16oz. can poured into a nonic.

(A)- Pours a clear orange color that produced a good white fluffy head with decent retention. Tons of lacing left behind.

(S)- A damp wood aspect with some lemon & peach citrus.

(T)- A very potent woody bark/pine dryness up front. Some citrus notes.

(M)- A good carbonation level. A bit woody; Minimal bitterness.

(D)- Not bad. Its really dry and woody. Would like to see more citrus to balance it out.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Bright copper gold with a finger of head. Head diminishes quickly.

S - Very hoppy clean. You can definately tell your participating in a little bit of IPA heaven. Floral yet very sweet at first. Once the head diminishes the beer itself has a grassy, earthy tone.

T - Hops, hops, hops. The taste can only be described on my palate as fresh and bright. Although now apparent in smell there is a dinately a citrus (grapefruit/orange)start to it and finishes very malty.

D - Some may find this beer a bit too much and very filling. I, however, love chewing on my beer and find this one very tolerable and easily able to finish 2-3 in a sitting.

(I have found from beer to beer the taste changes. I am not sure if this is because of age, wetness/dyness of hop, or amount/type of hop included. Nonetheless, it is a hit every time)

Cost - I paid $15.99 for a 4 pack of 16 ounce cans. This is my only frown. I did, however, by a second helping the next.

3.98/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours about picture perfect copper color with a beige topping of medium/thick head. The smell is evident of hop residue as soon as the can is opened. I brought by buddy a glass and from across the room he said- oh wow- that's some hops. Taste is incredibly dry- like bone dry- but the plentiful hop profile is very nice. Very tough to get through the second one of these- the first was very drinkable- but I wouldn't recommend more than one at a time- this is very thick and is filling me up way too fast.

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a nice clear golden color with two fingers of foamy white head with decent retention.

Scent of resiny, piny, grassy, floral hops and a hint of caramel. Definitely hop forward, but not too hop forward.

Taste of resiny piny, grassy hops, and a hint of caramel. Finishes with a lengthy flavor of resin and strong bitterness. This rivals Founders Harvest Ale, but doesn't quite top it.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and clean with a nice, slightly piercing carbonation.

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

A - Beautiful gold color with a finger of foamy white head with great retention. The color was so clear I could read the can through the beer in my glass!

S - Every hop profile you can imagine, floral hoppiness, lots of citrusy hoppiness, and some steely bitter hoppiness. If you want hops, you know you're getting it from the aroma.

T - The quintessential hop forward beer. The flavor is all citrus forward hops that really hit the tongue hard. If you want hops, you'll find them here.

M/D - Mouthfeel is harsh but smooth and very drinkable if you love your hops.

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Can shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

A: Clear, light orange with a decent sized white head that leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Resinous hops, pine.

T: Very fresh and hop forward. Great tasting beer. Pine and hops, similar in some aspects to Surly Furious.

M: Alcohol hidden very well. Very nice feel on the palate.

D: Very drinkable and enjoyable. Definitely recommended.

3.48/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance:

Tonight I reached for my Dogfish Head bubbled pint which is another glass that was a complimentary gift from Al's of Hampden during the last event he held. As I cracked open the tall boy can there was a generous amount of hissing and carbonation gasses that escaped the wide mouth. In the pour I decided to start by tilting the glass pretty hard just in case it wanted to foam up on me and as I continued it was safe to say that I could stand the glass back up. After I was pouring for a few seconds I noticed that I was left with a two finger thick bone white head. When I hold the glass up to the light I see a burnt orange / light amber tones that are crystal clear, and in the swirl their is a decent amount of foamy lacing clinging to the edge of the glass.

Smell:

Bouquets of fresh floral hops are the front and center stage here, with some noticeable malty backbone. It sounds a little strange but when I take a second whiff I am getting something that reminds me of Sunny Delight or Five Alive orange juice. The malty sweetness is loaded with caramel, biscuit, and bread notes that mingle nicely with the hops.

Taste:

Surprisingly the first thing I taste is the malt before any hops are even in the picture. Loads of burnt brown sugar and caramel are on the tip of my tongue then the hops start shining through. Grassy, and earthy noble flavors almost mute any of the west coast citrus hops that are included in this recipe and once you swallow there is a oily resin left over your mouth that is a sure sign that the fresh hops are there. I am really lacking the complexity that everyone was raving about in this beer, maybe my can was not properly stored or maybe it is on the cusp of getting old but it says it was released in early October so I doubt that. In the finish there is a touch of honey with some of the piny resin taste that is left over from the initial hop burst.

Drinkability:

Overall, I would say based of my experience that this was a good beer just not a stellar one. I have had quite a few Surly beers and they all were excellent examples of their style and this one is no exception its just not what I was expecting. I have done some research on this beer and people have given it great reviews and raved how this was a hop bomb and a world class beer but I'd have to disagree. Again, good drinkable fresh hop ale but not the A+ style in my opinion, if you come across this beer I'd definitely give it a shot before it gets too old and the hops fade completely.

3.93/5  rDev -9.9%

big ups to shep133 for the hook up

pours a clear crisp slightly orange and deep gold with a massive foamy pillow head. lacing all over and great retention

light dank hops with a slightly sweet malt profile

very resiny and earthy all around with a quite dank undertone going on. light citrus and pine lay beneath and combine with the sweet malty backbone.

full body, moderate carbonation, sweetness.

drinks pretty easy, very vivid and flavorful.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to Xcal29 I'm able to sample another Surly brew. Thanks Mike.

A - Giant slightly tan head of a few inches with a very slow retreat. The lacing is very nice. The body has a nice golden color and is clear as crystal.

S - The hop aromas are absolutely amazing! This has to be one of the best scents I've ever encountered in an IPA. Piny hop with a slight musty accent.

T - Good pine hop flavor with a nice bitterness to accent.

M - While I assume the beer's name refers more to the process by which this beer is created, it too gives a good representation of what to expect in the brew's feel. Wet.

~ I strongly urge you to try this beer. It has a clean refreshing character to it that is not all that common in an IPA.

3.78/5  rDev -13.3%

16oz can - Canned October 13th, 2010 - Poured into my Surly tulip...

Pours dark golden orange/amber color, clear, with three fingers of thick, meringue-like white head, lots of lacing is left behind...

Aroma is a bit weaker than expected. Sweet, juicy hops are the focus, but there is a lot of malt too, a bit too much, really cuts into the fresh hop aroma. Earthy and mildly floral, not the punch in the face I was expecting but still pretty appealing...

Earthy, leafy bitterness, a bit sticky with resinous, piny hops. A bit of a citrus twist, but not much, this one remains earthy and bitter. A bit of sweet malt pokes through and then becomes too much...is it honey? Finish is bitter and lingering...

Medium bodied with good carbonation. Resinous and a bit sticky, drinks a bit thicker than it is...bitter and drying long into the finish...

Not a bad beer, but I guess my expectations were higher. Not the aromatic punch in the face I was expecting and the taste was just too sweet...

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

16oz can into a cervoise. Canned Oct 11, 2010. Reviewed Oct 28, 2010.

A - Crystal clear, whisky brown. Fine, creamy looking off white head, decent lacing.

S - Floral, smells like what you'd expect a hop farm to smell like during harvesting. Aromatic, earthy, outside.

T - Awesome grass hops, enough fruity grapefruit and lemon to balance with a touch of sugary malt.

M - Medium to light body, chewy and decent balance

D - Awesome beer that you can tell is just on the edge of being a hop bomb, with just a little nudge it would be!

I poured about 9-10 oz into my glass for review. Then I drank the rest out of the can because for some reason I prefer to drink craft out of the cans they come in and not out of a glass (unless reviewing of course). Sweet!!

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

I got a four pack thanks to Lenny1203, thanks a lot man. Me and my friends each drank a can and we all agreed that this was a pretty good beer. I think this may be the best wet hop beer I have ever had. It really captures the hop oil in the aroma and the taste, its strong and distinctive. This is easily identified as wet hopped and I honestly can't think of how to define teh flavor other than super hoppy and dank. Not much pine or citrus that I could detect, this was all humulus lupus, fresh nugs. I wish I could buy this.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

A: clean copper pour.

S: crisp, floral nose with a bit of piney-grassy accents.

T: holy fresh! (I haven't tasted many fresh IPA's so bear with me) immediately struck by a sweetness that tapers off with the bitter hops lasting...this has such a nice balance of taste. I totally need to check out more fresh hopped brews!

M: high carbonation, medium bodied nice overall feel on the tongue.

D: definitely drinkable...I'd have this as a staple in my fridge if the shelf life wasn't so short, limited and a bit spendy. very well crafted brew! I suppose I expect that from Surly!

Wet from Surly Brewing Company