Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Wet - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,047
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009

We took a break from brewing our Wet Hopped West Coast Style IPA in 2014 while we moved into our new brewery so for 2015 we came back with a bang. Our 2015 edition features 6,000 lbs of Simcoe hops harvested from the Yakima region of Washington. We went all out in 2015 and brewed 600 barrels, TEN TIMES as much WET as we first brewed when we started wet hopping back in 2009. And, for the first time ever, WET distribution will reach our neighbors in Wisconsin, Iowa and Chicago in both draft and 16oz cans.

2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

ABV: 7.5% v/v
IBU: 90
Reviews: 409 | Hads: 1,267
4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge back in November 2009. Reviewed from notes.

Poured a copper color with a nice white head. Aroma had plenty of pine and floral hops with some other fruitiness and that fresh hop smell thrown in. Little to no malt detected behind that, just as a harvest ale should be. Taste is similar with the pine hops and resin becoming dominant. Mouthfeel is a bit too dry from the wet hops, not quite the proportion (don't want to say balance!) I prefer in these beers, which slightly detracted from the taste. The problem for me was a lack of bitterness compared with dryness; this had nothing to do with malt. Drinkability was very nice, but not excellent given the clash between the taste and the mouthfeel, which was simply too dry when compared with the taste.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Found some notes I had put in my cell phone, won't be able to get too descriptive as it's not in front of me.

Had this one on tap at it's initial release and was served in pints for like $3, consequently since then I could only find it in 12 oz servings for nearly $6? Hmmm...pays to go to releases I guess.

A: A nice looking AIPA with orange accents. The head was very condensed off white madness. Good lacing.

S: Wow, this was my first impression as to how fresh these hops were. This beer is suited for the hopheads, a big pungent citrus aroma holds it's ground.

T: Again, full hop speed ahead. Big flavor that is herbal and citrus. Though completely bitter throughout.

M: I had no idea what the ABV was at the time but it's big enough, creamy and oily.

D: This was a treat to have throughout the summer, now that I see the ABV is 7% that might explain some of the extra inebriation. Hopheads need apply.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

A: Amber brown with little or no head or active carbonation to speak of.

S: Mild smelling, surprisingly. Solid hops (i.e. no malt) but more like they're in the room, not specifically in the glass.

T: Out of the park. A great hop tea. Fresher than fresh. No malt, all hops. A hop heads delight.

M: Biting, but with a clean finish

D: I could have one or two, but no more, it's just too hoppy.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

A - Poured a clear, bubbly burgundy color with a small, off-white, head of thick foam. It left little to no lace.

S - It smelled very grassy and piney. Some bubblegum aromas with a malty backbone.

T - It tasted of sharp piney hops with a citrus kick - mostly grapefruit. It had a great burnt toast maltiness to even out the powerful hops.

M - It was crisp and sharp with a dry finish. A medium-bodied beer that is surprisingly easy to drink.

D - This is a great IPA. I was thrilled to find it on tap at the Pranca.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a golden red with a off white smooth bubbly head.

The smell is of fresh hops, mainly citrus and grapefruit with a slight malt aroma present.

Taste is like heaven. Hops and more hops. Fresh hops make this beer taste amazing. If you ever wanted to know what fresh wet hops taste like in a brew try this beer. Tons of hops with a perfect amount of malt backbone, awesome.

The mouthfeel is very smooth and pleasant. Awesome.

Very drinkable, probably the best balance of pure hoppiness and drinkability I have ever encountered.

3.57/5  rDev -17%

On tap at Jake Melnick's, Chicago, Illinois.

Nice looking beer after a great Surly Furious. It was served in a goblet and was cloudy with dark amber colour.

Smelled like Furious.

The flavour was Surly and not much more. Perhaps a slight but more malt, but it was quite similar. Kind of sour and citrusy, but this one had a biscuity flavour as well.

This was a bitter as hell beer. Almost uncomfortably so. It was just so sour and bitter. Definitely high on the IBU scale but almost in the way that eating a raw lemon is.

I barely drank one goblet. It was nice with the so-called "spicy" wings, but I craved more malt and balance in this beast.

Overall: I would rate this as pretty damn good for an IPA but ridiculously unbalanced. Not bad, not great.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a 16oz pint glass at Map Room 10/31/09.

A: Served a clear, rich gold color. 1/2 finger of creamy head sports just ok retention and just a little sticky lace.

S: Pungeant, fruity, stinky hops! Mild citrus and some toasty malt.

T: See above. Hop flavors run the gamut from pine, to citrus, to tropical.

M: Spicy, bitter, resinous hops stick to everything. Mouthfeel is slightly sharp but a touch of brown sugar sweetness takes the edge off.

D: Fantastic! Thank you Surly!

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

I had this one on tap at the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL. Poured into a 13oz stemmed goblet.

A= This ale poured a very clear orange/copper color with a with a thin 1/4" white head. The head shrank to a skim in no time but left lots of sticky lace on my glass.

S= The aroma was dominated by piney hops, with some fruity notes buried deep. The malt was completely overwhelmed by the hops in this one.

T= As expected from the smell, this was a chewing-pine-needles bitter hop onslaught. Just a hint of caramel malt sweetness was detectable under the sheer volume of the hops. The finish was dry and, well, bitter.

MF= Medium body with modest carbonation. Felt very dry on my tongue.

D= I think I could feel the skin cells being scraped from my cheeks by this beer! Such a hop bomb! A great one if you are in the mood for a hop explosion. The only other thought I had as I drank this was that it was VERY similar to Surlt Furious. I wonder if its the same recipe but just uses fresh "wet" hops instead???

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%

After having this once or twice, had another pint of this gem at The Blue Nile tonight after dinner. Served by Al. Which I'm sure made it taste even better.

Pale IPA gold, but the nose is what let's you know you're in for something special: it's vicious. The hops smell doesn't come out of the glass, it's shot out of a plasma cannon up your nose. Frickin' beautiful.

Wet is a hop-bomb. No doubt about it. Anyone who detects any malt in this is a better BA that I. Blast of hops. Full stop. My friend with me who hadn't had it before made a beautiful face when he first tasted it but powered through. Unbalanced enough to need its own shrink. Any West Coasters who think they own the IPA - sorry, you haven't met Wet yet.

Frickin' awesome. This is a great beer. As long as this one is churned out in the fall, I'll be happy to belly up & have a pint or four.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Drank in a 12 oz snifter at the Bavarian Lodge. Even the shrieks of a herd of drunken revelers did not detract from the immediate impact this beer made upon us. I have drunk a lot of very good beer over the past year or so; in fact I try only to drink very good beer; so it has to be something quite special that makes one really take note. The Wet is one such. Dulcie immediately proclaimed "top five." I tend to be more circumspect, but I will say I will savour the memory. Even several hours after leaving the Lodge, the hop imprint still lingered on my palate.

The beer is a lovely warm copper color in the glass with a healthy, quite dense head. Oodles of pine and earth emerge from the glass. Hop experts will be able to detect better than I the varieties. On the palate is where it is most striking; it is really dry and quite mineral, reminiscent of a really dry champagne oddly, withering bitterness unfolds upon the palate, with, and perhaps here is a fault, little balance provided by sweetness from the malt. I see some have scored it low in this regard and I can understand that. Personally, I found the style so full of character that I liked it. I can't imagine that it will have any aging qualities given the predominance of hop character.

3.6/5  rDev -16.3%

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge.

A: Served in a snifter with about a 1/2" of soapy, airy, sticky head that left some extensive lacing. Dark, clear copper color. Oddly, this beer looks much like a cask ale.

S: Woodsy hops, pine and citrus.

T: A light maltiness with a heavy bitter hop presence that becomes increasingly astringent with every sip. There really isn't much in the way of flavor. Just a woody bitterness.

M: Medium in body with low carbonation. Astringent, tight, and very dry.

D: This beer was a bit of a disappointment and not only because I was expecting another exceptional Surly IPA. I would have been disappointed no matter who the brewer. This remains a decent beer, but the flavor is a little flat and it seems to showcase bitterness at the expense of everything else.

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

An tap at The Bavarian Lodge - Lisle, IL

Poured a brilliant copper color with a sudsy off-white head that stuck around for awhile and left excellent lacing. Aromas are piny with a large dose of citrus. So far so good. Tastes are all hops. Bold, bold, pine with a huge astringency to boot. Some citrus remnants and slight malt character, but the piny hops own this ale. Finishes extremely dry with hints of aspirin, ash, and white pepper. Mouth-feel seems thinner than expected, but still acceptable. Overall, this didn't live up to expectations. Appearance and aroma were both great, but the balance wasn't there for me with this one. I was hoping for some sweetness and malt to come though, but it didn't.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

I drank this from the tap into a pint glass at the Darkness release party.

The beer is light copper orange with not much of a head, but the beer was poured to the top of the glass so that might explain that. The beer was pretty watery so I doubt it would have had much lacing anyway.

The aroma is strong with lots of hops, a little pine, and some bitter citrus.

The taste is very strong, almost a little strong of pine and bitterness. Its a good ipa, not great, I prefer the furious. Mouthfeel is nice, not terribly drinkable, couldn't have more than a couple.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Had this on-tap earlier tonight at Sheffield's(Chicago). Reviewed from notes.

A- Poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a copper color with an off-white head.

S-Really aromatic citrus hops(orange, and tangerine) with the slightest hint of caramel malt.

T-Astringent, bitter citrus(grapefruit and orange) and pine-y with a bit of caramel malt. The malt really makes itself apparent, and the astringency goes away as this beer warms a little. This helps it develop some balance.

M- The carbonation really accentuates the hop bitterness and flavors. Light bodied.

D- This became very easy to drink after it warmed. I was having a bit of a hard time drinking this at first, but it really turned a corner as it got warmer. Very nice wet hop.

4.26/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Ngon Vietnamese in St. Paul and served in a tulip glass. The beer appeared orange-red with a tall white head that left lacing. The aroma is a little too strong to make out a lot of discernible hop character - it blend into a big blast of citrus punch. The flavor, however, puts this beer among the best wet hop ales I've ever had (2008 SN Harvest comes to mind). It begins with floral and apricot hops before sliding into rougher grapefruit and citrus rind notes. The citrus then dries out in the aftertaste to leave a bitter dried fruit and crushed pepper taste. Damn, that's a good IPA. Drink it if you can find it.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured In: Pint Glass
On Tap At: Cafe Twenty-Eight

Went here on Halloween night specifically to try the Wet. We stuck out as we were the only people dressed up, but I liked this place quite a bit.

Appearance: Pours a copper and amber color with a finger of oily looking head. Very little effervescence, and a small amount of lacing covered my glass.

Smell: A sucker punch in the nose of hops. Centennial and chinook hops, you say? Yep, the chinook is definitely there. A very earthy smelling beer with notes including pine, soil and flowers. I'm not getting a load of citrus hops from the centennial though. A subtle amount of grapefruit and orange is there, but I wish it was more.

Taste: The palate follows suite with the nose. The caramel malt provides a very nice backbone to this beer, and the hops play nicely with it. As the beer crosses the palate the sweet malt reveals itself, but the hops quickly come in to play. More earthy flavors spring into action. The tasting comes to a bitter end with light notes of citrus including grapefruit and orange.

Mouthfeel: Surly knows how to make a beer feel good. This medium bodied beer has a perfect amount of carbonation. I love drinking Surly offerings because they are always so damn easy to put down.

Drinkability: This is a well crafted beer, although Furious is a superior beer in my eyes. Perhaps if Wet is brewed again I can give it another go, but I think Furious has a much nicer hop portfolio than this one. Furious has a nice balance of earthy and citrus notes, while I thought this one was a bit one sided towards earthy.

4.17/5  rDev -3%

A crystal clear copper pint, brimming with a sticky crown of foam. The retention was good, and a swirl summoned a swarm of bubbles up to the surface.

Resiny green aroma, very herbal and vegetal hops. Grassy, piney, with a fair amount of citrus. Swirling brought out the pungent wet hop funk. Pretty much like smelling a fresh hop cone.

Flavor was intensely piney and bitter, dry and sappy. Some grapefruit pith was there, must be the Centennial. Yakima hops were also used, lending a dominant Pac-NW bitter pine flavor. A trace of malt was present, but this was a fresh hop vehicle first and foremost. Light bodied, but the strong bitterness prevents extended sessioning. A great wet-hopped brew that I was happy I had the chance to try.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After erroneously being served Broodoo due to a tap handle mix-up I finally got a tulip of this stuff.

A - One finger of off-white foam with excellent retention that finally dissolves to a thick cap with lots of lace. Nice hazed glowing dark red-brown color.

S - Pine, grass, dankness, fresh hop oils, some light citrus and tropical notes. Well-balanced with caramel and multi-grain malt characters.

T - The taste is more malt-forward with smooth caramel and bready flavors. A good amount of Yakima hops that ooze pine and lemon. Tons of residual bitterness in the finish.

M - Lots of oily resins, medium-bodied, lower carbonation. Pretty much what I like from an IPA.

D - Well-hidden booze, easy drinking. The only thing that gets tiring is the high level of bitterness.

Nice change of pace, but I think I prefer fresh Furious.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

served on tap in a pint surly glass it had a beautiful light copper coler with fresh head and lacing the smell was fantastic it was hops fresh hops with pineapple and grapefruit,mango and more oily hops with a malt smell in the background the taste was exceptional it was so smooth creamy and silky and delightful to drink..this ipa was brewed to showcase fresh hops and brewer excellence and it does both extremely well this is a hop explosion with a perfectly balanced ipa between hops malt and water...had 1/2 dozen wet -hop ipa's in the last 2 weeks and this is is by far the best not even close.. ...im so glad i live here to experience this elite brewery and the products they put out

On tap at Sheffield's served in a shaker pint glass.

This beer is a cloudy burnt honey red color with a thin layer of bubbly head.

The nose is all hops, tons of catty notes.. Some grapefruit, pine, floral tea notes..

The first gulp is harsh pine, catty chinook and simcoe, maybe.. I'm picking up on some herbal tea as well. Not as easy drinking as Furious, but still tasty.

Mouthfeel is full with some nice bubble bite.

An interesting fresh hopped IPA and I'm glad I got the chance to try it.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This review is not for virgin eyes nor is this beer for virgin hophead wannabes as Surly "Wet" is nothing but a straight up wet spot! Whoops, I mean, wet hop.

Bright burnt orange with a slight scarlet cast to its body. Nice medium sized rocky capping of yellowed firm foam that sits like a pro stripper earning an extra $20 for lengthy lap dancing. Lots of lacing in droppy sheets that could possibly be mistaken for the details of lingerie.

Alurring aroma makes you lick your lips with enticement and excitement as its damp and oily resinous quality perfurmes with freshness that peaks out perfectly from its layers of citrusy zip. Orange oily, lemon rindy, grapefruit skinned, and mango sinned; this stuff begs to be lapped up.

The taste is infatuating with a tongue teasing temptation of pleasingly bold, heavy hops that lay in deep earthy plant herbalness. Moderately resinous with a two part weedyness - as in the ones you pull from the garden and the ones you grow in you basement closet. Quite herbal and cannibus hinted with hugely deep darkness of whole hop goodness. The flavor spreads its wholesomeness wide and encapsulates the tongue as it has all you'd ever want or need from a hop, the whole plant; the vines, leafs, roots, you name it, its in there. Lots of backened citric action in the finish with piney bitterness and ground up pithy toned grapefruit fluff coat the tongue with a tender but firming herbal prick.

Moist and bold medium body with lots of zippy hop tang and oily pizazz on the palate that shoots a wrench load of hops to delightfully coat the tongue and pucker the cheeks. Keeps barely enough tepid balance within its tantric malt backing. Yet the tightness in bite and bitterness creates enough pleasure with an exceptable girth and length as not to be pre mature in its hop ejaculation.

"Wet" is a beer made to have hop sex with your mouth. An orgasmic deep quality of hops so invigoratingly fresh you'll need a post coital cigarette. Or at least a shower.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Served in 10 oz. wine glass

A: 1/3 finger of cream colored head with good retention. Clear reddish amber liquid is beautiful
S: Man Candy! So hoppy. Tropical fruit. Simcoe? Pineapple esters?
T: Bracingly bitter, white fir needle, terribly hoppy! Wow, one of the hoppiest beers I've had - like Hopsickle at Moylan's. I like a lot. Grapefruit rind.
M: Pine resin, heavy on puckering.
D: Yeah I'd buy again and probably order another. Annihilates the tongue.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

I've had this twice now, once at Town Hall and once at Stub and Herb.

Color is clear orange amber, with a creamy beige head, very chunky in nature. Leaves tons of lacing all over...just a solid looking beer.

The nose is piney hops, citrus and floral hops, grapefruit and lemons...ah no doubt this is a fresh hop ale.

Initially your tastebuds are blasted with fruity and floral hops, absolutely envoloping all senses to focus on the glory that is hops. This beer is completely void of anything that isn't associated with hops...but thats more than fine with me...this is one extremely tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is...oh who cares? Honestly? Everything in this beer is just extras...this beer is ment for one thing and one thing only, to showcase hops. And it does a great job of that. From the moment you pick up the glass, to the last drop, this is one spiritual hop experience.

Drinkability is great. Not sure on the ABV but this could be one solid session beer. I highly doubt you would have any useful tastebuds afterward, but it would be more than worth it.

Surly impresses yet again, as if there were any doubt. Now...if only they could budget some of this to can...I might have to make it a permanant spot in my fridge.

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%

Had on tap minutes ago at Town Hall ironicly.

A- Nice dark amber/ orange color. Bone white head that disappeared to quickly. Good lacing, poor retention.

S- Ok this beer smells like nothing else on earth, it's stunning, literally one sniff and you will be blown away. Fresh citrus hops, lemon, grapefruit, and strong pine hop smells. Just dominate the nose and it is amazing!

T- The taste might not live up to what you would expect after smelling the amazingness, but it is none the less delicious. I don't know why this is a IPA instead of a IIPA. The hop bite and I really mean BITE is intense. Yet so flavorful, loads of grapefruit and spicyness.

M- Pretty slick and oily, but it leaves the mouth dry. Adequate carbonation.

D- Good drinkablity, goes down fast, leaves you wanting more. Surly needs to can this beast next year so the wonderfulness can be shared!

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into a pint glass at Stub & Herbs.

Very nice looking in the glass, deep amber, white head, long lasting.
The aroma is a sign of things to come, as you get hops, hops and more hops. Mostly citrusy, but pines make a nice apperance. Nothing that vaguely resembles malts.
Medium bodied, abrasively bitter, piney and citrusy.
Nice, but unidimensional as expected, it gets too much halfway through the glass.

Wet from Surly Brewing Company