Wet - Surly Brewing Company

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-10-2009

2013 was a mix of Cascade and Centennial hops
2012 was Simcoe hops only
2011 was Citra hops only

2,400 lbs of hops picked freshly in oregon and shipped to Minnesota immediately. We brewed this beer three days later. This is a hop forward beer, dry with subdued malt flavors.
STYLE: West Coast India Pale Ale

ABV: 7.5% v/v
COLOR: 6 ºSRM
IBU: 90
AVAILABILITY: October
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,213 | Reviews: 397

A= A hazy golden color, there are some orange highlights in it. Nice foamy white head that sticks around lots of nice stickey lacing in this one as well.

S= This is more of a citrus IPA it's really strong and that is the main thing that I get from the nose. There might be some slight grassy aromas but the citrus is in your face.

T= The taste is just like the nose but there is a little bit of a malt backbone. It's got a really good taste really like this one.

M= Medium bodied, perfect carbonation.

O= Overall, I really enjoyed this "Wet Hopped" IPA or harvest ale. I do like a few local ones better and with the talk on the price of these I would probably just stick to the ones I can get on the regular. I would pick it up if I saw it on the shelf but probably wouldn't seek it out in a trade it was a great extra though.

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

This is perhaps the best IPA i've ever had! Poured with a small to average off white head and a little lace. Color is a clear amber. Aroma is the freshest hops and balanced against malt, caramel, fresh bread. Flavor is like nose and again the freshest hops perfectly matched to the malt, yeast, and carbonic tang. Body and carbonation excell. Finish is like flavor and surprisingly of average length considering the fullness of the flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Thank you Karen my friend who is a BAD-ASS who lives in Minneapolis who used to live in Missouri and was my employee at the restaurant I co-own. I love Karen in an inappropriate way...she and my wife are friends, but Karen brings or sends me Surly...Karrren. Bright brilliant light orange with tiny bubbles rising to the top. The top...a never ending foamy fluffy white head that is just now dissipating after 45 minutes of alternating sip sip sip SWIG. The head stayed at 1/4 to 1/2 an inch for sooo long. Yummy earthy citrus funky skunky hop aroma. The flavors follow in the way flavors might and sometimes do...not quite a mirror, but still a fantastic balance on the palate finishing...finishing, with a cleansing bitterness. Flavors of citrus fruit and earthy funky hops. Smooth and slick in the mouth yet finishing dry and inviting another sip. If I could I would drink this every day, it rocks.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

16oz tallboy can, canned on 10/31/11. This one was poured into my Duvel tulip.

Surly Wet pours a mildly hazy orange, with a handful of tangerine highlights coming through. The cream colored foam maxes out at about three fingers in height. Head retention is off the charts, and lacing leaves a solid ring at the top of the glass. If it was a little more full the rest of the way down, the look would be perfect. I started smelling hops as soon as I cracked the can, and one inhale with my nose at the top of the glass had me ready to guess Simcoe and Citra as the wet hops in play here. There's the tropical edged citrus aroma that I associate with Citra, along with a bit of pine, and thankfully the catty influence that I get from Simcoe is tucked far in the background. There's a little bit of sweetness at the front of each sip, almost candy-like. The bitterness that comes through next is attention grabbing, but stops short of being abrasive. Citra dominates the back end of the flavor profile, with a citrus flavor that's solidly orange. The Simcoe qualities from the aroma are relegated to a more secondary role. The body is not bone dry, but definitely on the lighter, crisper end of the spectrum for an IPA. This clears the way for a nice, bubbly level of carbonation to really come through and help make the hops the central focus of the beer. Another great beer from Surly, an one I'll look to get more of next fall.

3.73/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a 16 oz can into a Sierra Nevada 30th anniversary glass.

A: Pours a light bronze color with a thin white head. Head quickly fades. Great lacing.

S: Citrus, a touch of pine.

T: A nice dose of hops. Pleasant bitterness, mostly in the finish. A fair amount of citrus fruit, a hint of pine. A touch of grassy flavors. Definitely taste the freshness of the hops, but I find the hop profile a bit too one dimensional. Well balanced with a pale malt.

M: A bit on the thin side, average carbonation. Lively and crisp.

O: A tad bit disappointed with this one. It was a bit too thin and too one dimensional with the flavor profile. Not a bad beer by any means, but one of least favorite wet hop beers that I had this fall.

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of two beers I took notes on at FFF XV...too much fun.

A- Orange, red just a touch cloudy. A great looking IPA. Rich off-white head. Head is present throughout and lacing is prevalent.

S-Solid hop nose with piney notes and some citrus. Smell is not as strong as taste but good.

T- This thing is a banger. Wet is wet and good. Hop blast hits you off the bat, pine and resin leading into the citrus grapefruit finish and just pure flavor and crispness.

M- Crisp and delicious. WET DELICIOUS HOPS to the end b.

O- I like it, I think it's great. Really.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Wet from Surly Brewing Company