1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Moe's Bender - Surly Brewing Company

Moe's BenderMoe's Bender

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.52% ABV

Coffee chocolate vanilla brown ale aged on cherry and birch woods.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2010)

KHM, Nov 14, 2011

larsenju, Nov 14, 2011

Sender, Nov 14, 2011

tbeq00, Nov 14, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Coffee Bender with cocoa and vanilla added to it? What kind of a monster would refuse to try that?

Pours like fizzy coffee. Smells like... like nothing I was expecting.

What was I expecting? Something simpler, I guess. Like, Coffee Bender with some CoffeMate added to it. That wouldn't have been very nice at all.

This smells spicier, sweeter, and smoother than regular Coffee Bender. The vanilla is quite rich, which greatly subdues the coffee nodes. Chocolate nodes become more present as the beer warms, it's a pleasantly dull and soft chocolate, sort of like a tootsie roll.

Tastes more coffee-ish. My friend said it was like espresso but I didn't think it was nearly astringent or bitter enough. More like Folger's (and if you think that's necessarily a bad thing, you are a weird, gross snob). The aroma's spiciness gives way to something more like what I had imagined the beer would be. You got the coffee of Coffee Bender, but then in the back end, where sticky sweet n' sour brownness of Bender usually comes in, you get nodes of spice, vanilla, and rounded milk chocolate. Very nicely done.

mynie, Nov 14, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -9.4%

I had this from a keg while getting doughnuts at Darkness Day 2011. It was served in a plastic Surly cup. This beer is reviewed from notes.

Appearance- It's a dark brown opaque body. The head was only about half an inch and receded to a slight, tan film.

Smell- There is some coffee roast in the beer with earthy malts. Also some caramel malt sweetness and milk chocolate.

Taste- This beer has loads of roasted malt and coffee notes. There is also a little bit of chocolate and caramel malt sweetness.

Mouth feel- It is really smooth. The medium body is appropriate and really helps the beer. There is just enough carbonation to stop this beer from being too sticky.

Overall- Yes, it is a very good beer. Is it that much of an improvement over regular Bender? I think that is certainly debatable. Regardless, I'm very happy I got a shot at this, and would have it again if offered in a heartbeat.

Pintofbrown, Nov 02, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap at Darkness Day 2011.

Poured black with a half inch cap of tan foam that receded slowly leaving lacing.

Smell was roasty..malts, espresso, chocolates.

Tasted excellent. Roasted malty, espresso, hints of chocolate, porter notes, very smooth.

Medium body is creamy and, again, smooth. Very easy to drink. Can't wait to have it again, someday.

JackieTH, Oct 24, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

i had this beer at darkness days 2010

a: dark color with a small head and lacing

S: vanilla, oak, coffee, and chocolate

T: very creamy with chocolate, vinilla and a
hint of coffee with a lingering awsome after taste

m: smooth goodness

O: If it was sold I would buy it buy the case. this beer is a must try. I loved it

kittywamp, Aug 31, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

Had multiple pints of this at Surly's Power of the Pint event a couple weeks back.

Rather than write up the normal review, I'll simply focus on this beer relative to the other Benders from Surly. As much as I think coffee bender is better than the already solid bender due to the great balance between the roasted malts and the coffee notes. Moe's Bender takes it to yet another level. The balance of roasted malts, with chocolate espresso notes, and a hint of vanilla give this a wonderful smooth taste. This has a nice rich taste yet goes down way too easy.

I would love to see Surly keep making this one, simply a terrific beer.

If you get an opportunity to drink this beer, do it. And if you are lucky enough to get it for $4/pint, don't feel bad about drinking the tap dry.

deebo, Jul 01, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I was able to go to one of Surly's 5th anniversary parties and was able to try this one.

A: Very dark, small head and good lacing.
S: Vanila, chocolate, espresso. Great smelling beer.
T: one of the smoothest beers I have had. From start to finish the taste changes.
M: Very smooth.
O: Wasn't too excited to try this one, but after having it I was not disapointed. If i'm ever at an event that has it I would not hesitate to pay the premium price for a glass.

pdeme, Jun 27, 2011

I have tasted heaven and its name is Moe.

Pours a nice rich brown with a caramel head, smells of malt and vanilla and chocolate. Taste is outstanding, vanilla and chocolate notes mix in to make this delicious brew. Drink this with a rich chocolaty dessert and you will be willing to trade your first born for the ability to do so again (does anyone need a generally well behaved 12 year old? I have one I'll trade for a keg of this).

Mouthfeel is rich without being too thick.

Overall? Outstanding. Quite possibly the best beer I have ever tasted.

deadbody, Jun 13, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: A nice dark caramel color. The head is a very slender, light puff. There is some nice lacing on the glass.

S: Chocolate, toffee, vanilla, malt bomb. I can't get my nose out of this glass.

T: Bitter bite of chocolate, vanilla and a wooden barrel pièce de résistance. There is s subtle hop characteristic hiding behind this vanilla, bitter choco-coffee, toffee and malt. This one is a savory beast.

M: Medium to lighter mouth feel. I wish this one was a bit thicker, but I do like the motor oil. Great all around drinker for the average advocate of champion beers.

O: This was a fantastic find at the White Horse in Saint Cloud. I had this on tap for the Surly Five party at Acadia Cafe and it's every bit of amazing I remember it being. Maybe even better. If this shows up near you it is a must try and worth the $8/ pour admission any day. (I will be sad when this keg is gone.)

ucis, Jun 09, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -7.2%

Lucky to try this one on-tap at the Hanger Room. Pour left a bit to be desired, though it was served in a sweet glass mug with the Surly logo. Nice dark brown color, little head to speak of though. Nose is good with a bit of coffee, some dark malt, and a hint of vanilla. Flavor, however, really packs a punch. This one hits hard for a 5-ish% ABV beer. A nice coffee brown ale falls into some leafy hops, following by a smooth hit of sweet vanilla. This is a pretty sick beer, though I guess my love for the regular Coffee Bender gives me a bit of bias. MF was a bit thin, not quite as smooth and silky as I recall Coffee Bender to be. Overall a good experience, missing some technical points to me, but a tasty beer nonetheless.

LordAdmNelson, Jun 04, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured on tap into a surly pint glass at Mackenzies during MN Craft Beer Week.

A- Very dark brown, nice lacing, slight carbonation, ½ finger head
S- Chocolate, roasty espresso aroma, malts, hints of vanilla, very delicious, desert smelling beer, I cannot wait to try this one.
T- Very good, everything you smell you taste and more, chocolate and vanilla right away, malts, nice hops added, slight bitterness, very tasty, hints of roasted coffee as well. Very smooth.
M- Medium bodied, slight carbonation, smooth and well balanced.
O- Delicious chocolate flavor, very good, a lot better than regular bender, very surprised by this beer, only wish they brewed it more often. I look forward to my next poor of this delicious offering from Surly.

Chriscrundwell12, May 28, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

had this on tap at Mckenzie's for MN Craft Beer Week, was excited to try this and wasnt let down.
ST - on tap, even though the guy behind the bar had no idea how to pour a good beer (see my review on Tea Bagged Furious) I was excited for this beer
A - very dark and murky, light brown head that laced somewhat down the glass.
S - best part of this beer. Every time I went to take a drink, I had to shove my nose in the snifter
T - first thing that hit me was the roast, then the complexity. This beer has a lot going on that all works well together. From the roast, to the chocolate, to the cherries, and finnally to the smoke. Each and every one of these flavors complement each other, instead of fight against each other to be the star.
M - a little bit boozy, but very easy to drink.
O - was excited to try this beer and was not left dissapointed. Only bad thing is that it is not around all the time. Will mos def pay the premium price for this premium beer.

biglobo8971, May 15, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

Had this on tap at Surly 5th year anniversary parties at The Muddy Pig, Stub and Herbs, and Mac's Industrial.

A - Pours a deep amber/brown color with the slightest hue of murkyness. A thin light khaki colored head leaves some nice rings of lacing.

S - Golden grahams, slight hints of vanilla, chocolate/cocoa, and coffee, light smell but very pleasing.

T - Follows the nose nicely. Starts with a malty vanilla taste and a hint of chocolate/cocoa, finishes up with slight roasty coffee notes.

M - Light in body but very smooth the way all those flavors mash together, low carbonation.

D - Phenomenal, I had more than one of these at each event because they were so tasty and easy drinking. I wish they would can this already.

SurlyMe, Mar 20, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -6%

Had this on-tap at Whistle Binkies South last night for Surly's 5th Anniversary party. Served into a tulip:

A - Dark brown to black with light egg shell white head that dies pretty quick. Web lacing and OK retention.

S - Nice chocolate and roast malts. Vanilla and cream. Kind of like a roast chocolate milk.

T - Chocolate, coffee with a smooth vanilla and coco. Pretty nice but I wish it had just a bit more chocolate.

M - A bit watery but smooth. Just a tad creamy but again I wish it had a bit more body.

D - Easy to drink. Nice flavor and smell. It was just a bit thin in the body. But I'd drink this stuff all the time if I could. It would be nice if they canned it soon...

joshuaseresse, Mar 03, 2011