Pentagram (Unblended) - Surly Brewing Company

Pentagram (Unblended)
No picture.

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Wild Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: jsanford on 02-01-2011

In honor of Surly Brewing's fifth anniversary we brewed a 100% Brettanomyces fermented brown aged in used red wine barrels. Brettanomyces is a yeast used in place of "normal" brewing yeast, it produces a unique flavor profile. Pentagram is a single barrel "tasting" of Five.

This listing is for unblended Pentagram on draft/cask only.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by ucis:

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Does not suit an european pallet.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Had this on-tap at Whistle Binkies South last night for Surly's 5th anniversary party. Had about 3 glasses of this. The keg sold out in half hour. Served in a tulip:

A - Dark brown with a bit of mahogany hues mixed in. Light foam ring around the edges. Really no head or lacing.

S - Tart funk and cherries. Red wine smell really comes through. Other dark fruit flavors of plums and cranberries.

T - Tart cherries, strawberries and cranberries. Brett funk and a bit oak. Really tasty and funky!

M - Nice tart tannins. Carbonation is really nice. Sour jaw clencher.

D - Really easy to drink. Nice smelling and tasting brew that I was so happy to try. After about 2 glasses, I just savored the third and smelled it the entire time. Really a nice treat. Now I have to wait till they bottle this glory.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

My review follows feloniousmonk's rather closely because I found it hard to explain this one.

I would like to thank Surly for making such an interesting and wonderful beer. For me to sum this brew up in so few words would do it a disservice, but I can firmly say that this is one of the most interesting beers that I have had in a long time.

First smell was raisin, wood, grape, a bit of chocolate, and something a bit off. First pour was a muddy chocolate, with a caramel head that quickly dissipated into a tighter, flat, ring around the glass. First taste was overwhelming in the best way possible.

The first thing that I tasted was a mish-mash of fruits, wood, chocolate, and a hint of coffee, all wrapped up in sour. After I settled into my first glass, a lot of the overpowering flavors calmed and I was left with a beautiful beer. The taste stuck around, and the carbonation relaxed my stomach.

Thanks Surly, I appreciate it.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Had the pentagram at groveland tap last night for te anniversary party. Second sour in my book, and still not sure what to think. I can agree that it seemed very young and disjointed at the finish. Poured a nice murky brown/reddish with a nose full of rasnerry, black licorice, and funk.

Taste was sour, tart, and begging for rich food to cut the sour. Overall was happy to get to try it and lookn forward to getting a few bottles of the blend "5" at release.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Let me start by saying holy crap was this sour. Appearance was ok kinda basic dark brown no real head to speak of. Smelled of red wine and a slight tartness not bad. Taste blew me away holy funky soury delisiousness. Mouthfeel was nice big bubblys somewhat on the thin side but nice. I could have drank about 3 more of these bad boys but the 2 I had were still going down way to fast.

3.92/5  rDev -8%

On tap at BLB.

Served in a chalice with 1/2 finger of beige head. Color is a dark ruby red hued brown.

Aroma: Cherry, oak, spice, and some funk. A bit sour, but not overly done. A little young yet.

Taste: Brett and funk here. Some cherries with some tartness. More sour than I was expecting, but still fairly mild compared to others. It does have the medicinal notes that come along with some brett beers.

Mouthfeel: Sour and mildly tart. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with fruit and tart notes.

Overall, a decent sour from Surly! It is young and I think time is really going to help this beer which is why I am now really looking forward to 5. Congrats to Surly! Here is to 5 more!

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%