SŸX - Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States

American Strong Ale |  14.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 07-19-2012

4.95/5  rDev +28.9%

I have had this both on-tap and from the bottle. Smells great, with sweet molasses, oak, and citrus coming off it.

The appearance is stellar with a deep orange glow and a shallow head on the bear. Swirling it produces an alcohol ring comparable to most wines.

I enjoyed the complexity when sipping this. I got apricot and some other light citrus flavor with a very smooth wood complexity overall. Very powerful stuff.

My first American Strong Ale and it was great, as are most beers from Todd and Omar (just Todd in the Anniversary beers). Hard to find and happy to hoard what I got. An exceptional multi-layered brew with fabulous character. (646 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +25.3%

Reviewed from notes.

Medium goldish brown color, thin yellowish white head, smells Great! Smooth honey aroma mild hops and malts. mainly honey stands out, taste is weird, initially very boozy and sweet then hoppy then malty, then very sweet sugary syrupy aftertaste! pretty crazy boozy but not 15% I would guess around 11 or 12%. Gets waaay better as you drink and it warms. (375 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +24.7%

You gotta try this! This is a masterpiece.

Beautiful honey colored amber tinted pour.

Nose: All kinds of sweet honeyed fruits in the nose. RIPE peaches, mango, pineapple, melons. Little hint of tart/sourness inhaled.
Wow.

Taste: Booze, fades after a few sips, but the mild warming remains throughout. Little tingling bite. Fucking ambrosia. Same ripe fruits as in the nose, honeyed is the word. Mildly honeyed. Tartness, just a nip, takes the edge of sweetness off a bit and perfectly interacts with subtle citric/grapefruit hops and a clearly spicy bite to produce one of the best tasting beers I've ever had.

Body: nowhere near as cloying as I'd suspect from the nose and mouth, but a bit of that viscous nature. Outrageously quaffable for the abv and sweetness.

Surly amazes me. (791 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +22.9%

Poured from 750 ml waxed bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep and clear pale golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. A solid three fingers of off white head which slowly recedes into a thin patchy layer. Lacing is moderate.

Smell: Huge aroma of citrus hops. Ripe grapefruit, pineapple, mango, orange, apricot, tangerine, peach, and lemon. Quite vibrant with the fruits. Doesn't smell overly bitter with the hops. Good hints of wood. Bready malts with hints of toffee and caramel. Some honey like sweetness and sugar. A little alcohol in the aroma. A pretty sweet and fruity smell. Quite complex and interesting.

Taste: A very vibrant and juicy taste that is a lot smoother than expected. Rich and sweet citrus hop esters with good notes of mango, pineapple, grapefruit, apricot, orange, tangerine, lemon, and peach. A good amount of wood taste and some honey. Solid backing of malts with some notes of caramel, toffee, and biscuit. Some alcohol heat comes in towards the finish and lingers into the aftertaste but it isn't too heavy. Hops are pretty juicy but the bitterness is cut down like an imperial IPA with some age on it. On the sweeter side of juicy. Very complex and good.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with a carbonation on the lower side. Juicy and chewy. Somewhat syrupy. Alcohol heat comes through pretty good but this has amazing smoothness considering the ABV. Probably the smoothest I've had at this alcohol range.

Overall: Another amazing brew from Surly. Great citrus and wood flavors while doing a great job keeping it fairly smooth. It will be interesting to see how my other bottles age. Really interesting brew. (1,685 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +18%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, I am excited for this. From the waxed 750mL bottle into my Darkness snifter.

Pours a nice, clear, dark gold. Surprising two finger cream colored head displayed some even more surprising retention and lacing. Honestly the best retention and lacing I've ever seen in a brew of this ABV.

This is a nose I've never come across. A strange and pleasing blend of fruity/citrusy hops, tons of wood, sweet malt, and booze. Very complex and not as much alcohol as expected.

Whew, she is hot! But I've taste Belgian strong ales with 10% ABV that are hotter. Starts off like a hoppy Barleywine with some very nice citrus and apricot notes. Very woody through the middle, but unlike your typical "oak aged" brew; the wood flavors almost seem layered within themselves. Finishes with some toffee malt and alcohol. Todd says on the bottle an "afterglow"; maybe a bit of an understatement.

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side of medium, but lighter than what I expected. Modest carbonation lets it coat the mouth before the alcohol evaporates it all away. Far from drinkable, but for a 15% ale it goes down very smooth.

Overall this is, in true Surly form, an impeccably crafted, highly complex beer. Like all their anniversary brews this is a genre defying, boundary pushing offering from a seriously talented brewery. While this is not for the meek, it is a beer that should be tried by any MN BA or any BA who can get their hands on it. Skol Surly! (1,447 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a cold 750ml bottle.

Appearance: Hazy orange with little head retention which is an off white. Loads of sticky lacing.

Aroma: Alcohol (in a good way) sweet fruits and honey.

Taste: Whoa! What a BEAST! Very much barley wine in taste, citrus with some spice, smooth alcohol, and fruity flavors from the hops. Very complex beer here. Surprising smooth for nearly 15%!

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy with pleasant carbonation.

Overall: Grade "A-". It does become a little harsh as it warms, but I greatly enjoyed tasting it fresh. I'll taste it again in a year to see how this is developing. (601 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%

I'm normally a somewhat harsh critic of Surly brews, but they impress me enough that I was willing to give this a try and I'm very glad I did.

Appearance: Orange/very faint golden color, significant head.

Smell: Smells a little fruity and a little boozy, both in a good way.

Taste: I poured this with some friends and we let our glasses sit for about ten minutes before taking the first sip. The flavor came out as thick and fruity, but not nearly as boozy as I expected, which is impressive given the 15% ABV. The booziness did seem to increase a bit as my glass sat and the temperature rose.

Body: Very potent overall. This beer has a thickness to it that I haven't before experienced in a beer and it leaves you with a warming feeling almost like a good whiskey.

In all, this is an excellent beer and I will make sure I never miss another Surly annual. I definitely recommend that you split a bottle with a friend or two, not so much because it packs a punch (which it does) but because I think temperature plays a significant role - pour your glasses, let them sit for ten minutes but not longer. Too warm and the booziness starts to overtake the excellent flavor. (1,173 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Aged for one year in my cellar, poured into three twelve-ounce pilsner glasses and shared with friends.

The smell is cloying, intense, and wonderful - like potpourri, honey, and fresh-cut-wood. It leaves a surprisingly thick head for its incredible ABV, white in contrast to the beer's vivid orange like a dreamsicle. Taste-wise, it's boozy, woody, sweet, and intoxicating - literally and figuratively. I cannot remember the last time a beer got me this dangerously drunk. It's like being in a pine forest and walking past a beehive, except in your mouth. The mouthfeel is more like a double IPA than a strong ale, sapping moisture from the mouth and encouraging yet more tasty dangerous boozy sips.

I wish i'd gotten to try this beer when it was fresh, but at the same time, it was absolutely fantastic and well worth aging to this point. If I haven't made a typo yet, that is incredible because seriously this is the strongest beer i've ever had and with no prior drinks it got me well and properly drunk. do *NOT* tackle this one by yourself! (1,047 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +14.8%

Got two bottles of this on release day. Couldn't wait to open one. Ended up shattering a carboy tonight and decided to throw caution to the wind.

First thing I noticed was the color. It's truly beautiful. A vibrant orange shines through the glass. It's not completely clear, but not hazy or muddy. About a finger of head, if not less. I didn't pour it very hard. I wanted to savor every drop that I could.

Up front, the smell was a bit understated. It smelled like alcohol and fruit. Which fruit, I couldn't exactly put my finger on. Like others have said, it's extremely complex, but I seemed to note a bit of banana out of the wave of smells. As it got warmer, I noticed more alcohol smell.

I took a nice mouthful, and was surprised by a sweet-and-sour explosion. As it calmed down I noticed lots of fruit, and the alcohol was making my gums tingle. It's definitely a big beer, though I wouldn't have put it at 14.5% upon the first, third, or fifth sip. However, again, as it got warmer I could definitely notice the alcohol coming out. It's tough because this is definitely a sipper, but you want to enjoy it when it's still cold enough for the alcohol to be balanced.

It feels great in the mouth, not thin but not too chewy. Has a verrryyy pleasant dry finish. It's not *too* dry, though!

I'm no connoisseur but this is a great beer, easily worth the money for a once-in-a-lifetime offering. I'll let the other bottle mellow out for a few months. Get some if you can, it's gonna go quick! (1,497 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the limited one time release bottle. Nearly 2 years after available (on 06/22/14). Pours a cloudy orange with a off white white head that diminishes quickly. Aroma is of floral hops, alcohol and bright refreshing characteristics. Similar to an IPA on a hot day. Taste is boozy with honey, bread and slight caramel. This isn’t a bad thing as it is still sweet up front with a slight hops bitterness lingering. Palette is average. Nothing note worthy. Just sharp and awakening. Overall. Incredible. I will continue to search for more bottles. Probably the best beer to come from Surly except for Darkness. (617 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +13.8%

Surly Syx. I don't know how to do umlauts over the y. I don't know why I should. Except that it's metal!

Before I crack the crown, and drink it up, a word about the label. It's the latest from Michael Berglund, who did last year's Darkness as well as other artistic efforts throughout the past annum. I was moved by his recent revelation that this demon character was derived from a wooden work of a friend of his who had recently succumbed to suicide. A beautiful act, to immortalize his art in another work, and what better commemoration than a Surly bottle?

Appearance: clear tangerine. with a thick snowy white head, dotted, and leaving lace. Looks great.

Aroma: fruit aplenty, mango, tangerine, apricot, orange, lime…all kinds of citrus. And the looming presence of alcohol.

Taste: Mmmm, fruit and booze, that's the first impression. You can't have this much ABV (15% is what's reported) without it making it's mark. Flavor rises higher, as well as the alcohol feel. More of the same, the tropical fruit, the citrus, a tingle of pine. And there's some woodiness covering it all, but don't expect me to pick them all out of the honeycomb. (Cherry, ash, ...dang, I had a few of them, now I forgot.)

Flavor increases in complexity, there's more and more coming through. And, all the while comes the boom-biddy-boom-boom. Shammalamma ding-dong. Boom, shackalackalaca.

What's more, this is really what we should expect from Surly. It's a one-off anniversary brew that defies categories, but it is so remarkably delicious that it only underscores Surly's ability to craft brews such as these with the greatest of ease.

After six years, this is the beer Surly should be making. It follows no clear precedent. It adopts no formulas, falls in line with nothing. And it is so goddamn tasty.

Aging isn't a question for a brew this big and boozy. Definitely put some away for a little mellowing. It's a special brew, let's slowly savor to enjoy what six years has brought us. (1,978 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

Drank twice. Once cold, then again later. The second bottle was opened, and allowed to breathe and warm for 15-20 minutes before pouring. Big difference. Main review is the warm pour.

Allowed to warm and poured 6 -7 0z from the Syx bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a hazy, golden orange. Very little head but nice lacing.
S: Sweet aroma of orange and apricot. Sweeter malts and spice. Alcohol smell was present but balanced.
M: Nice concentration, not thin like some high ABV's. Just the right amount of carbonation.
T: The warmer pour really allows the flavors to outperform the booze. Sweet fruit flavors, orange/tangerine, apricot, honey. Subtle wood flavor comes and goes along with the malt and some spice to balance out the sweet aspects. Alcohol is definitely there. It nicely warms your throat and tummy the way a good whiskey would but without the burn.

O: Very nice strong ale. The warm (slightly cooler than room temp) really brought out all the layers that Syx had to offer. Each sip seemed to show something a bit different than the last.
The alcohol is not nearly as prominant as when drank cold, where it seems to dominate and taste more acidic, hiding the rest.

My advice: drink warm/cool. Age some and see what pops out after 1,2, 5 years. (1,259 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

I normally never review beer and I will not go into these details others have already provided. I will only say, get a bottle if you can !

Very boozy and a little fruit...dry finish and my gums are still tingling from this stuff...

I'm really not a huge fan of Surly, but this was a good one. (294 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from 750ml bottle to brandy snifter:

Pours a bright pear/ruby gold with strings of slow, steady beading. A finger of starch white head fades off to a paper thin collar after a few minutes that laces perfectly through thick oily booze legs.

Syrupy hop density on the nose... the alcohol presence is a bit more obvious than others have reported. Sweet cinnamon fruit qualities, apple and grape. Evolving with every degree. What a big, complex smelling beer this is.

Holy hell... not quite as reserved on the tongue. Giant boozy sweet punch up front. Orange cream soda with caramel apple and plum accented with a sting of booze. Fresh vanilla wood notes keep the sugary booze in check. An impressive level of balance for such an imposing drink.

Surly delivers. Some age would do it some good but it is plenty approachable just as it is. Bravo. (852 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12%

Hazy orange with a two finger off white head. Has nice retention, and lacing, especially for such a high abv. The aroma has oranges, grapefruit, caramel, and honey.

Has a sweet taste with oranges, caramel, grapefruit, mangoes, and some alcohol. The alcohol taste is not as strong as I thought it would be, especially for a 14.50 % abv beer.

Full bodied with modest carbonation. Has a very sweet aftertaste, and has a noticeable warming effect. I can't say that I have had anything like this before, but I like it quite a bit. Leave it to Surly to come up with something this unique, and delicious. (600 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Pours a very deep, full orange in color with a sizable, 3-4 finger head. Lacing and retention are both tremendous. Body is very hazy.

S- Hops, honey-like sweetness, and slight hints of barrel all collide in a very complex scent. Under all of the complexity is a fairly evident scent of booze. Slightly sweet overall, but still contains some balancing bitterness.

T- Starts with some light, yet strong sweet honey and fruity flavors. Fruity flavors are much like a traditional Belgian golden ale. In the middle of the drink, the fruity and sweet flavors take a backseat to the hops bitterness. Not tremendously bitter, but enough to make you notice, the hops balance out the underlying sweetness. Barrel characteristics come out just after the hops and mix in with the hops, fruit, and honey flavors to add to the complexity. Barrel isn't as prominent as in most BA beers, and displays just hints of char, oak, and whiskey. Ends with a lingering spiciness on the tongue and some alcohol bite.

M- Low to medium levels of carbonation with a rather light feeling on the tongue make you think you could drink this all night, but the very high alcohol level and strong flavors bring it back towards a sipping beer. Fairly slick and smooth on the tongue, but even that can't disguise the high alcohol level that will eventually catch up to you.

Overall, this is an incredibly complex beer. Very interesting take on using traditional flavors and modern barrel aging techniques. I should have saved this bottle to share with some people because of the strength. (1,559 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a burnt orange with good carbonation leaving a nice white cap, loads of bubbles with spotty lacing to follow

S: Very aromatic and hot too. Big citrus burst comes out with with a light toastiness, sweetness and plenty of heat

T: Initial sweet and malty upfront with a punishing booze blended with pungent citrus to follow: orange peel, tangerine, dash of lemon zest. Pine and light tropical fruits in the background make this one tasty brew. The finish is sticky, hot and delicous with a lingering hop bitterness which is accepatble. Wood is detected but I was actually looking for a bit more.

M: Medium to big bodied, well carbonated. Loads of flavor coat the palate and hang around for quite a while. IBUs are priominent.

O: In your face. American Strong Ale it is indeed. I forsee this beer going the distance! I want another. (842 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

A-a beautiful looking brew. Orangish-red with pretty good clarity. A thick dense creamy white head that has a little staying power.
S-tons of aroma; sweet floral honey dominates. Plenty of grainy barley malt aroma
T-similar to the aroma, sweet with plenty of grainy malty goodness.
M-medium bodied a fair amount of carbonation, boozy warming finish that doesn't linger
O-a beer for contemplating. Aromatic, sweet and strong. A beer that stretches the limits of what a beer can be. Drinks like a barley wine, enjoyable fresh. I wonder how a bottle will taste with a little age. (576 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

Surly makes great, style-bending beers. I've heard this one described as unclassifiable, so I'm really curious what it's like. Enjoyed 15 August 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a medium very orange amber. Clear, with about one finger of whitish head. Decent retention and lacing. Not particularly attractive.

Has a tingly sizzle in the nose. Hoppy in a way that's abrasive to the nose, but in a strangely pleasant manner. It's a blast of all kinds of acids, oils, and esters, so that I have a hard time pulling out anything to put a name on.

Taste is very, very strange. It's really hard to pin down what you're tasting, because it's so different from anything else I've encountered. It's very malty and powerfully hoppy. Tastes like a cross between apple juice and bug spray, that is somehow amazing. I can't even put together how those two things could combine to make something good, but they do. Has a rich base sweetness that's overlain by a tingly buzz of bitter. It really reminds me of when I get DEET on my lips. And yet I like it.

Weighs on the tongue, like slick syrupy oil. Rather dry finish.

An interesting and quite unique beer, that I find really difficult to describe. But it is darn tasty. It's like a wall of sound, with little snippets jumping out from time to time, but I'm often lost in the delicious static and noise. It strikes me as almost masochistic, in that much of the enjoyment comes from the way in which it assaults my senses.

Last note: it's incredible how well the alcohol is hidden. I couldn't even imagine that I was drinking a 15% ABV beer, if I hadn't read the label. Very dangerously drinkable. (1,639 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

750ml bottle poured into a Surly Stien.

Appearance: Very orange. Slight haze. Small white head.

Aroma: Hard to separate. Woody fruit smells. When I first opened it, I swear I smelled bread baking, but once poured I lost that smell. Almost a orange, banana, pineapple smell layered over wood & bread. The alcohol doesn't come thru for me.

Taste: Thicker than I expected, with a strong lingering finish. The alcohol is definitely there. Fruity, with a lot of the same flavors I smelled, only now with a stronger wood/alcohol hit.

Mouthfeel: Thick, syrupy. Thicker than I expected.

Overall: A very impressive complex beer. I almost wish the ABV was lower, I'd be curious to see how the rest of the flavors came thru with less of the alcohol. (743 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

One inch white head in a dark golden/amber body. Great head retention and lacing considering the ABV.

Nice woody/honey aroma.

"White grapey". I feel like there is a sweet honey alcoholy finish. Leaves the mouth burning from the booze.

Medium mouthfeel, adaquate carbonation.

Woo, pretty different strong ale here. Different attributes. To sum it up I would say a honey booze bomb, at least for the time being. (413 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a glowing bright orange with a little head of super soft light khaki foam that leaves some light lacing. Decent retention.

Getting almost only pure orange juice from the nose. Juicy, sweet and citrusy rounds it out.

This is such a different flavor than what I was expecting going in. I hear "american strong ale" and always think dark and loaded with malty sweetness and booze. This is definitely different from that. Loads of citrus up front with fresh mandarin orange and pineapple leading the assault. Light bitterness and fruity citrus sweetness. Maybe a little orange blossom honey. Warm, bordering on hot alcohol at the end, but not overwhelmingly so. The heat does linger long after drinking. Some hoppy bitterness at the very end also.

The body feels WAY lighter than a 15% beer. Not a complaint at all on my part. The heat will remind you that it is all of 15% though. Actually has a nice summery feel to it especially with all of the orange. Finishes lightly sticky, but still feeling the warm alcohol.

I have to say that this is a very original take on the style. It's bright and IPA/DIPA citrusy that you just don't typically find in the style. Can't personally tell that this was wood aged, but maybe it is just adding to the citrus component of the overall beer. Enjoyable, but yes, boozy and hot. I'll lay one down and save it for a future date for comparison, but very glad I tried it fresh also. (1,423 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +8.3%

A - Hazy golden-orange with a finger of frothy off-white head. Fades normal.

S - Bready and biscuit malts, grapefruit, pineapple, and other citrus hops, oak, vanilla, booze.

T - Caramel, bready, and biscuit malts, grapefruit, pineapple, orange, and other citrus hops, some bitterness, oak, vanilla, booze.

M - Medium-plus bodied with moderate-light carbonation. Smooth with a sweet, bitter, and warming finish.

D - Nice hoppy profile with good base beer that holds up to the oak character. (493 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

1 pint 9.4 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip style glass. The beer comes out of the bottle a honey yellow color as if it were liquified honey. However as it rises in the glass it becomes more of a hazy orange color. Like an orange/grapefruit/tangerine juice color. Nice and hazy, there's a big frothy head on this one, sort of a cremecicle color, goes away after a little bit, minimal lacing to it.

Smell is really good; I'm digging this one; if I had to sum it up quickly, it's sort of like a sweet barleywine. A nice natural honey aroma with some nice citrus and piney hops following it. A decent malt bill though, like a lot of pale or caramel malts to it. Some woody aromas to it as well, but not like the vanilla like barrel aromas. A lot of fruity characteristics like plumbs and dates as well.

Taste is just as good. Citrus and woody, strong on both. Sort of a sweet liquor citrus gummy candy. Some nice candy sweetness in the beginning but not an overwhelming sugar bomb. Some nice dehydrated fruit characteristics to it. Some nice caramelized/candy coated pecan or some other type of bitter nut flavoring to it as well.

Mouthfeel is really good, it's full bodied with a lingering flavor, but light enough to drink on a hot summer day. I wouldn't call it smooth, but close to it because it's far from rough and gritty/gushy. It's carbonated enough, but not enough to cause any type of sting. The alcohol is certainly present, and provides a slight warming sensation, but after it's been consumed; I feel it more in my stomach than in the mouthfeel. Really drinkable, a nice sipper, but I could see why this one would be a little bit dangerous if you weren't careful on it. Another solid brew from Surly; one of the better breweries out there. (1,757 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Sixth Anniversary Beer. No other freshness dating.

A= Pours a bright hazy orange color with a somewhat thick finger of head on it that is very active and surpisingly it holds some nice retention for having such a high ABV.

S= I've heard a lot of complaining regarding alcohol being the main character but it's not for me. I get a citrus apricot aroma as well as some nice wood character. It's actually hard to say specifically what this smells like but it reminds me of a wood aged Imperial IPA without as many hops. The hop character is definitally there but it's "fading" and the wood plays with it. The malt character is deep and complex with a lot of different notes in it.

T= Again I've heard a lot about how the alcohol dominates. I don't get that. I get a nice bold hop character for it with a nice sort of punch. A good wood character again is in it and there is a great malty complex sort of sweetness to it. The finish is a bit boozy that sort of wafts over the tongue between sips. Nothing over the top and crazy. I'm actually really impressed with how well it's hidden. Not the rocket fuel I was expecting after reading some of the other reviews but it's definitally something I feel after a sip and you can taste the alcohol after each sip as I mentioned.

M= A great weight and mouth.

O= This is one you feel fast. A great beer that's high octane and hides it well. A crazy good beer for the ABV and just how metal it is. I'm sure there will be tons of people waiting to say this beer is too hot and Surly fell off. I'm not one of those people. This beer pushes the envelope once again as Surly is famous for doing and it's extreme. A great beer and I'm sure it is only going to get better and better with age. (1,729 characters)

SŸX from Surly Brewing Company