SŸX - Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States

American Strong Ale |  14.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 07-19-2012

2.46/5  rDev -35.9%

On tap at Muddy Pig. Served in a 12 oz tulip.

Deep amber with a viscous clarity. Medium head and retention. Doesn't smell like much at first but some malts and fruit come forward as it warms up. I am neutral on the aroma.

Off to taste --- WTF?! Acidic, harsh and somewhat bready but very shallow malt character for the octane. I am NOT digging this weird tartness at all. Drinks like a poorly made DIPA once you get past the acidity. I'd give it a 1 on taste but there is no hint of booze at all, which is something.

Mouthfeel? I am not sure what to expect but I am going with a 3, right in the middle. Not bad but nothing exciting either.

In my humble opinion, this is just not a good beer. Or maybe it's not ready (no pun intended!).

4, 3, 2, 3, 2 (754 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -35.2%

75 cl bottle poured in a tastingglass

Bright copper color with nearly no head. Messy aroma.
Oak, honey, slight citrus, and boozy. Not starting off well.
Sweet as balls. Thick and syrupy body. Lots of fruit, plenty of residual sugar, veryhigh bitterness in the finish. I’m not liking this. Thick, sweet, boozy. Wirh a very high bitter finish
I can’t fathom taking more than 3 sips of this,
One of the worst beers i ever had ! (434 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -34.4%

750ml bottle, thanks for sharing this Ward!

Pours a very interesting orange, copper color, very clear, no bubbles or liveliness. A thin head appears briefly, immediately vanishes leaving behind no lacing or trace of its existence. The beer almost looks still, and at ~15% that wouldn't be unexpected, but there really isn't anything interesting or exciting here. The aroma changes that a bit, lots of citrus, smooth oak, sweet malt and a harsh amount of alcohol. It really pops out of the glass, but isn't the most balanced nose, the alcohol kind of dominates at times. The flavor is where this one falls off the tracks. Huge crash of wood, cloying, sticky can't get it out of my mouth taste of bad stale moldy wood. The citrus is kind of there, but it doesn't helpt his beer at all and the alcohol is extremely present dominating the finish and taking this from bad to worse. There are some interesting notes in the glass such as honey, cereal malt, a bit of fruit, but the balance is so poor and the wood just dominates this beer to no end. The body isn't bad, it's a bit more carbonated than it looks, which props it up a bit, makes it easier consume, certainly a sipper though.

Verdict: This is just plain awful, one of the worst beers I've had in recent months, surprising given the surrounding hype and the consistent quality from Surly. We had to drain pour this almost immediately, as it had no redeeming quality and was completely unpalatable. (1,455 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -32.8%

Had bits & piece of this brew on tap at a couple festivals & wasn't impressed, but the atmosphere was hardly conducive to serious contemplation. Now I sit in my warm chair with slippers, fleece, & word processor...ah, that's better. 750ML bomber split with my wife.

Pour is IPA orange, it might be amusing to try to pass this off as an IPA to some unsuspecting idiot. Nose is a letdown, which I remember clearly; faint exhalations of honey & grass that's been packed in a wood crate. Not much going on.

Syx is that rarest of creatures - a letdown from Surly. Booze is out of control, rubbing alcohol style. Citrus clashes with this harsh base unpleasantly. Wood enters stage right & increases the confusion. Hops taste almost stale, & add a side of mint, grain, indistinct light fruits. Experience is heavy, sodden, cloying. I'm looking at all the ounces I have to get through, & the high octane ABV, & thinking, oy vey.

Not sure what the brewery was aiming for here, but it couldn't have been this - it's like Surly Three gone bad. A mishmash of tastes that don't mesh well at all. Not a good beer. (1,105 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -30.5%

750mL bottle poured into tulip - thanks to therobot

Pours a clear golden copper color with a bubbly crop of white head on top. Fades into a carbonated film with some spotty, patchy lacing on the glass.

Curious nose with a mixture of citrus fruits, toasted oak and boozy warmth. Honey and caramel with fruity sweetness and solventy alcohol. There's also a funky, yeasty, butteryness that keeps coming back to me (against my wishes).

Sweet and citrusy up front with some boozy warmth. Pineapple, grapefruit and orange with juicy, pithy fruit flavors. Woody notes with toasted grain followed by honey and syrupy sweetness. Slightly cloying, and there's also a yeasty funk that seems to come through the profile. Finishes with persisting citrus fruit, alcohol and sweetness.

Fuller body, decent carbonation, sticky, chewy and lingering on the tongue. This is the first Surly beer that I really didn't like, which is super disappointing for me. Too sweet, too funky, too weird and completely unbalanced. (1,005 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -29.4%

Shared by Darrell. Thanks man!

I very quickly consumed half a bottle of this. As Darrell pointed out, better to get it over with as soon as possible.

The beer is orange hued with a small white head. Lots of booze in bothe aroma and flavor. I would definitely describe this as hot. Oak and alcohol with a ton of malt and some citrus soaked in alcohol. Flavors clash and the overall presentation of the beer is off kilter. Overall, this was not that great. Not a repeat for me. (477 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -25%

Got this one from Rutger a couple summers ago and just haven’t been up for taking on this big bruiser alone. Finally found a couple willing volunteers to help out. Cheers for the brew man!

From a 750 into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger, medium looking, creamy, off-white head with good retention. Clear safety orange in color with no carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a foamy cap with lots of lacing down the glass. A foamy ring remains leaving some splotchy lacing sticking to the sides of the glass as it empties. Looks pretty nice, really.

SMELL: Lots of toffee, caramel, some butterscotch, lots of piney hops, some melon aromas, and some nice notes of citrusy hops. Huge nose. Very bold with lots of everything going on. A touch of spice as well.

TASTE: Toffee, caramel, some nice melon sweetness and alcohol up front. Quite fruity with lots of honey sweetness. Some alcohol at the swallow with a big finish of toffee sweetness, honey, piney and citrusy hops and lots more booze. This certainly is a bruiser.

PALATE: Medium-thinner body with medium levels of carbonation. Lighter on the palate, goes down smooth enough with a bit of a scratch and finishes surprisingly dry. An astringent finish for sure.

OVERALL: What a beast. Some good flavors here for sure, with lots of malt character and plenty of hops for fun, but it is certainly boozy and the feel is too astringent for it to really be an enjoyable big beer. I understand why this beer is so divisive. I wasn’t the hugest fan, but the other two I drank it with were much more positive, with the one person absolutely loving it. Obviously a beer like this isn’t for everyone, which is what makes it so much fun. Thanks again Rutger! This one was good times. (1,753 characters)

750ml brown glass bottle with orange-red wax-ed over pry-off pressure cap acquired in Minneapolis, Minnesota last year in a trade and served into a Guinness goblet in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. 15% alcohol according to the label. I'm not sure which style this is; none is indicated on the label.

Served cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as the bottle is poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Nice thickness and decent creaminess. Nice even consistent lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is above average - about 3 minutes.

Body colour is an orange-copper. Nontranslucent/nontransparent. No floating yeast particles are visible; it's pretty clean.

Overall, it's a generally appealing appearance, but I can't discern the style. A bit confusing, but generally appealing.

Sm: Abundant tropical fruit. Floral hops. Pineapple, mango. A biteen boozy. Generic fairly pale malts. It's a hard aroma to peg.

No yeast character or spice is detectable.

A confusing aroma of above average strength. There aren't many distinct notes here.

T: Boozy orange, pineapple, mango, and tangerine notes. Floral hop character. Pale malts. Tepid orange juice. Lots of ripe fruit character. Some questionable bitterness comes through as well.

I'm not getting any yeast character at all. There is some noticeable alcohol warmth.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. I wouldn't call it simple, but it's not real complex. Not subtle, nuanced, or intricate either.

Mf: Warm, smooth, wet, and way too thick. Too full-bodied. The heavy presence here isn't justified given the lack of depth, diversity, and complexity of flavour. A biteen overcarbonated.

Not oily, gushed, astringent, or harsh.

Dr: The whole warm tropical fruit vibe of this beer isn't doing it for me. I don't know that we'll finish this even with seven of us at this tasting. The alcohol warmth coupled with the relative lack of appealing flavour results in an underwhelming beer. Not sure what they were going for with this one. I hoped for better given it's Surly. Sort of an orange liqueur attempt.

High C (2,257 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Bottle from joshuaseresse. Served in a Half Acre taster glass at Tom's birthday party.

A - White foam settles to wisps, thick collar, and specks of lace. Transparent apricot body. Surprisingly attractive considering the high ABV.

S - Very unusual; this has an unusual aged quality to it, almost as if it was 4-5 years old. Fruity, with big treacle and red licorice. Quite sweet, which gets cloying very quickly but masks the alcohol quite well. Not much wood, which makes me curious about the 'honeycomb' apparatus they used.

T - Taste is similar, but not as enjoyable as it develops some fusel and astringent notes, particularly in the finish. Kind of like an aged Belgian, in that it's fruity and slightly estery but lacking in yeast character. The fruit is a tad rotten here, and there's some caramel and toffee barleywine flavors supporting things.

M - Chewy, sticky, full body. Lower carbonation, with a bit of alcohol warmth. Alcohol is pretty well tamed, and this drinks closer to 10%. Finish lingers on the palate but isn't overly sugary.

D - The alcohol is reasonably managed, but I'm not digging the flavors so much. Reminds me of a cross between a wheatwine and an old Belgian strong pale, which are two flavors I already don't care for much. My least favorite offering from Surly. (1,297 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -17.7%

750ml orange waxed bottle, the label says this is 15%abv. Purchased from France 44 online.

It pours a 24K gold with a 1 finger head of foam that refuses to shrink much and when it does, it leaves plenty of lacing behind.

I took this out straight from the fridge so I'm not getting much in the way of smell. What I can get is a fruity kind of sweetness, and some of the alcohol. I'll take some more whiffs when it warms up.

On first sip, the first thing that comes to mind is how dry it tastes to me. A fruity kind of dry; kind of bitter with some hints of tartness. Some sweet notes move in, you should see me shaking my head while swishing the beer in my mouth...or not; I bet it looks silly.lol.

The sweet tastes honey like but I'm not sure on that point. There's a massive attack from the potent alcohol going on now. Another sip in and yes, there's definitely more than a hint of tartness. Intended? In an American Strong Ale? I'll have to check the other reviews to see if anyone mentions it.

The finish is where I taste the fruity tartness the most, and the alcohol. It has a fine mouthfeel but I'm a little concerned over yes, I'll say it again, the tartness.

This is not what I expected from Surly given the style but maybe it's because of the, and I quote from the label, "Utilizing 6 wood species in a "Honey Comb" shape for aging" end of my quote of label.

Warming up during the session hasn't improved things from my palate's point of view. It now tastes dank, tart, alcoholic...not my cup of tea at all. The smell is about on the same level now. Completely off style if it is, in fact, supposed to be an ASA.

I wasn't a fan of the Five. Chalk me up as not of fan of Six. I'll take your regular offerings any day, Surly. (1,742 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

Bottle shared at the NWI Tasting Group December Meetup

A - Orange with hints of yellow. Looks to have a light body. Hazy beer that has a nice layer of foam sitting on top

S - Orange, grapefruit, hoppy nose with a strong alcoholic kick

T - Grapefruit and lemony presence with a slight caramel malt on the backbone. It has a strong alcoholic kick in the finish. Overall, this is a bit unbalanced and tastes what I'd imagine Mr. Clean floor polish to taste like. It's a hoppy BW that needs some lay down time given the alcoholic kick.

MF - Medium body and a bit oily. Slightly astringent as well due to the alcohol

O - Too strong right now. It's just a hoppy, unbalanced BW with too much lemon and alcohol that makes it taste almost slightly soaps. Definitely needs some time for everything to meld together. (810 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Cloudy burnt orange. Off-white hefty head. Settles very quickly. Leggy on the swirl.

Smell - Hoppy. Smells very barleywine-like. Boozy. Caramel, but not very rich or sweet smelling.

Taste - Sharp alcohol. Sharp hop bite, too. Less malty than I thought it would be. Very bitter. Surprisingly bright flavors for such a big beer, but it's kinda harsh by that same token.

Mouthfeel - Boozy. Not too heavy. Well carbonated. Harsh bitterness.

Overall - Gets sluggish and tough to drink. (556 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shared by dreadnaught33, thanks bud!

Poured from a bottle. Pours a very clear gold honey color with full white head of tight tiny bubbles. Nice look.

The smell reveals a big depth of wood variants. Straight oak, slight char, fresh chopped wood. Other aromas present show signs of citric, some deep floral notes, a touch of butterscotch, and some minty hops. Pils malt definitely in there. Interesting and lots of depth but maybe not the most pleasing aroma.

The taste is strangely acidic and astringent in some ways. Weak malt depth in my opinion and I don't get much in terms of hops. Woody character creates that odd astringency.

The alcohol heat is fairly strong and detracts somewhat. Overall the mouthfeel seems kind of thinned out.

Overall, I like the aroma a lot and the experimentation is admirable, but I find the taste lacking in malt backbone and kind of astringent. (883 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this

Consumed 2/17/14

Appearance: Hazy, somewhere between burnt orange and copper - pours with a large, off-white head - leaves some nice streaks and blobs of lacing - appealing, especially given the age and rather high alcohol

Smell: Grainy malts, wood, and some hot, potent booze - big, cooked, caramelized malts - lightly toasty, somewhat syrupy - an above-average amount of sweetness, with some oxidation, kind of smells like a cross between an old ale and a barleywine, with extra booze - very hot - not trashy, fusel alcohols, more like a hard liquor... nice, but still excessively boozy

Taste: So much booze, is this supposed to be on the rocks? - caramelized malts, cooked malts, caramel and toasted grains - malt extract, liquified biscuits - above average sweetness, but the malty sweetness is somewhat tempered by the wood - hard to discern the woody flavor, so I'll just call it wood - some light fruity esters and some oily citrus - booze, layered with booze, with some booze poured on top - some oxidation, and more booze on top of that - some level of of booze would be nice, but this is over the top to an absurd degree

Mouthfeel: Full body, nice carbonation breaks up the stickiness, finishes hot with some booze

Overall: Not Surly Süx, but probably my least favorite offering from the brewery

Surly cannot make a bad beer. But they came pretty close with this one. The sheer quantity of booze in both the nose and the flavor is overwhelming. There are some nice malts here, and the wood is interesting, but it's mostly just ridiculous. (1,597 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -10.4%

750ml bottle, Summer 2012
5oz mini tasting snifter

A: Pours out pretty much clear bright neon orange like color. I got a thin layer of bright white head that left some sticking lacing bits. Definitely some alcohol feet here. This is a big brew.

S: The nose on this is strange to me. I get alcohol heat. Some weird off nail polish like remover scent for a second. Some citrus sweetness. Not what I was expecting.

T: I guess the taste is better than the nose. It's not as boozy as I thought it would be when I first smelled it. You do get some hoppy notes up front. Some of that orange and citrus hints. Then it's some of that strange sweetness. Not like a strong ale or barleywine I've had before. It's a pretty long finish.

M: Big medium leading to full (757 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

Waxed bottle poured into a snifter. Got this one shipped to me from an online shop based in Minnesota.

A- Pours a light orange/ amber color and very cloudy. About a finger's worth of head fades to a film along with lots of sticky lacing along the sides of the glass.

S- Alcohol and and overall sweetness dominate the smell. Some slight hints of some fruity/ floral hop notes are in there as well.

T- Wow, this might be the most alcohol-forward beer I've ever had aside from Utopias. Once you get past the overall sweetness and booziness, I get some citrusy floral hop notes.

M- Heavy on the alcohol, a definite sipper, with some hop bitterness.

I know its 15% ABV, but I was expected this to drink a little better. It's kind of a sweet boozey mess in my opinion. I'm sure some time in the cellar would do it good, but unfortunately I could only get my hands on one bottle. (879 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle with orange wax.

Pours a deep, clear orange with a small soapy beige head that recedes slowly and leaves some sticky legs and lacing on the sides.

Aroma is boozy as hell with lots of alcohol, vanilla, and oak. Sweetness dominates the nose in the form of heavily caramelized sugar and booze-soaked light fruits, apricots and pears. Hints of citrus as well, oranges especially, though it's definitely hidden behind the alcohol and sugary sweetness.

Whoa, and I thought the aroma was heavy. The taste is oaky tannins, molasses, orange zest and straight up alcohol, which just completely burns the throat after each sip. Apricots and pears are still there but the spiciness and boozy burn are the dominant components.

Mouthfeel is heavy and massively sweet and alcoholic. Decent carbonation keeps it from getting completely out of hand.

This is a serious beer and one to be shared as the booze, in my opinion, is not hidden at all. I would peg it pretty close to 15%. Not my favorite from Surly, but, hey, that's a high bar. (1,038 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out somewhere between orange and yellow. Nice 3/4" white head on it, kinda surprised how impressive this beer looked given its high abv.

Aroma was citrus, honey and high alcohol. Not fusels, but just big hammer of alcohol.

Warming sensation upon the first sip. Still hits hard with honey and orange. As a gran marnier drinker, this was kind of up that alley. Warm citrus liquor. Along with the orange you can probably identify some apricot and pineapple. A unique beer for sure. But it also is decent to drink, so that's helpful.

The mouthfeel is difficult to score. On one hand, its amazing that a beer with such a relatively light body can be so decent and hold up the rest of the flavor and alcohol profile. Its a one of a kind, but at the same time, far from an effortless drinking experience. There's some adequate hopping to it that stands behind the scenes. There's also a light woodiness to it. Slightly acidic and tart.

A good beer to have about 3-4oz of to yourself. The entire 750ml? Not a chance. Best to open with friends, which I did. Unfortunately, that ass clown David Hurley, El Dorado Casino Beverage Manager, put the kibosh on our bottle share, even after having higher ups approve said bottle share the last 3 years. Other than that dishonesty after we had all bought our plane tickets, rooms, bets, food, waters at the El Dorado, we won't be returning, and I urge you be aware of entering the dishonest den of El Dorado casino that values their Budweiser reps more than their customers and patrons.

But don't let that get in the way of you drinking good beer. This one, Surly Syx, should probably be opened with friends. (1,656 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to Al for hooking me up with this beer, it's not cheap, but looks very interesting. My first impression of the beer from what I'm told is it's a complex wood aging that also features hops that make it a beer to drink sooner than later even at %15.

The beer does not look like a typical 'strong ale,' it's a semi clear orange with deeper dark orange highlights and a ring of head, just a bit of lacing.

The smell is semi sweet very complex wood smell with a slight alcohol heat permeating through. Wood smells ranging from a vanilla to a spicy cedar. A definite honeycomb like note too, funny because of the honeycomb wood aged technique described on the bottle. Also some hop like esters come through, a sort of dry almost British like variety, but it just might have mingled with the big malts of the beer.

The beer has an ok taste but it is just dominated by alcohol. There isn't a lot of malt backbone to this surprisingly, not enough malt to support the alcohol and the wood and almost citrus lemon flavors. Has almost an acidic to astringent feel overall, not enough sweet to balance the dry acidic flavors. Some really nice wood depth here though, it's interesting how these flavors play on top of the acidicness. I really wish it had some malt depth, it just isn't there aside from some honey caramel once it warms. The feel is a little thin and very alcoholic.

Overall ok, but not worth the price tag. Interesting, but could be much better. (1,462 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -6%

Pours bright gold with a small off-white head leaving little retention or lacing.

Aroma is very fruity and sweet. Dark fruits with some caramel malt, honey and citrus hoppiness.

Tastes follows. Lots of sweet fruit flavors. Honey with a big boozy background. Finishes a bit fruity and tart. Almost tastes like a strong wheatwine.

Medium to full bodied. Good level of carbonation.

I don't like it as much as Surly 5, but it came into its own after warming a bit. Very sweet up front, but enough of a booze kick to balance that out slightly and never got cloying. Good mouthfeel brings it all together nicely. (611 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks goes out to my boy beeruser for sharing this one at our Labor Day tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a golden yellow-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, fruit, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, alcohol, wood, and spice. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. Two words, booze bomb. While the ABV really isn't THAT high, it felt like it. The alcohol dominated this one on the flavor which definitely covered up some more subtle flavors that were present that I couldn't make out. The aroma however was pretty nice with a slight hint of funk which I found to be surprisingly out of place for the style, but a nice integration to the other things that were going on in this one. Not my favorite from Surly that I have had, but I have a feeling they got what they were aiming for on this one. Worth trying at least once for yourself to decide. (1,092 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass at the Smoke & Barrel as part of DC bottle share.

A real nice orange amber body, but a bit of soapy head with quite a thin collar though. The body color seems to be a bit more impressive.

Nose hits with citrus hop, lots of pectin like jam qualities. Tropical notes and some faint powder sugar. Not much of a malt presence it seems but it's a very memorable nose.

Taste is quite wet and watery however. Palate reaches for a very tropical hop front, and wet punch juicy. "This is like pineapple juice", someone mentions. Bingo and bang on (something I never drink cause I don't like). Thin body for such a high abv with a weird mildly sweet finish.

Overall it's got a predominant flavor I don't care for, and strangely doesn't have any malt depth to it. This is one brew I thought would be bigger but just didn't come across as such. (879 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured into a small tulip. Honey amber colored and clear in appearance. Head is a small one finger of bright white head that quickly becomes a thin collar. Lace is minimal but hanging on in a ringed pattern.

Smell is almost completely yeast, grass, and musty malts. Some tart also. But that's about it.

Taste is a very tart and tangy and not as soggy as the nose. Some super citrus notes and absolutely no wood or barrel in this at all.

Mouth is average and the carbonation is bright. With an average long mouth that is wet.

Overall i wasn't that impressed with this one., but did enjoy the experience. (607 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Onto the next 1000! Thanks to Jeff for this one. 750ml waxed and capped bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a frothy 3 finger cream colored head with moderate retention. Lacing is spotty with little cling. Beer is a slightly cloudy bright orange-bronze. Decent.

Nose is yams, sugar, caramel, honey, citrus and a slight booziness. Very sweet and hugely aromatic. Appropriate for the style.

Opens citrus, yam, honey, and pulp. Caramel, brown sugar, and mango sap deepen the experience. Molasses too. End is sweet brown and cane sugar with a boozy finish. Aftertaste is syrupy sweet. Solid but a bit too sweet at times.

Medium to full bodied with low carbonation. Oily and slick in the mouth and goes down silky and hot. Messy finish with a sticky, lingering aftertaste. Nice.

Not really one of the better Surly anniversary beers. This one's just a bit too much on all fronts. Too sweet and too boozy without the flavor to tie all the different flavors into one unified experience. (1,017 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Generously obtained for me by Ottodyer a few months back.

The beer pours a solid copper amber color with good head retention and decent lacing. This beer definitely smells rich and boozy (to be expected with this kind of abv. I suppose), imparting considerable canned peach, cherry, apricot, tangerine and light vanilla in the aroma profile. This beer just smells as if it will very sweet and boozy on the palate. That being said, the flavor profile is pretty huge and intense in this beer, showcasing considerable tropical fruit, vanilla and butter, but with a goodly dollop of hoppy bitterness in the finish as well. While I was grateful for the hoppy bitterness in the finish, it still wasn't close to being sufficient to tame the huge sweetness and alcohol in this beer. Four sips into this beer and I was already wondering if there was any hope that I'd be able to finish off the 10 ounce glass I poured for myself (I didn't make it, as it turns out). This beer defines the expression of heavy and tiring on the palate, and after just four sips, I could already feel my cheeks starting to warm. Mouthfeel is full, with a long, rich, hot and alcholic finish.

An impressive effort from Surly, no doubt, but this just comes across as a beer that Surly made hugely alcoholic, just to show that they could pull it off. Bully for them I guess, but this is just not a very enjoyable beer to drink. (1,398 characters)

SŸX from Surly Brewing Company