SŸX - Surly Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States

American Strong Ale |  14.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 07-19-2012

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Drank twice. Once cold, then again later. The second bottle was opened, and allowed to breathe and warm for 15-20 minutes before pouring. Big difference. Main review is the warm pour.

Allowed to warm and poured 6 -7 0z from the Syx bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a hazy, golden orange. Very little head but nice lacing.
S: Sweet aroma of orange and apricot. Sweeter malts and spice. Alcohol smell was present but balanced.
M: Nice concentration, not thin like some high ABV's. Just the right amount of carbonation.
T: The warmer pour really allows the flavors to outperform the booze. Sweet fruit flavors, orange/tangerine, apricot, honey. Subtle wood flavor comes and goes along with the malt and some spice to balance out the sweet aspects. Alcohol is definitely there. It nicely warms your throat and tummy the way a good whiskey would but without the burn.

O: Very nice strong ale. The warm (slightly cooler than room temp) really brought out all the layers that Syx had to offer. Each sip seemed to show something a bit different than the last.
The alcohol is not nearly as prominant as when drank cold, where it seems to dominate and taste more acidic, hiding the rest.

My advice: drink warm/cool. Age some and see what pops out after 1,2, 5 years.

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks goes out to my boy beeruser for sharing this one at our Labor Day tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a golden yellow-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, fruit, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, alcohol, wood, and spice. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. Two words, booze bomb. While the ABV really isn't THAT high, it felt like it. The alcohol dominated this one on the flavor which definitely covered up some more subtle flavors that were present that I couldn't make out. The aroma however was pretty nice with a slight hint of funk which I found to be surprisingly out of place for the style, but a nice integration to the other things that were going on in this one. Not my favorite from Surly that I have had, but I have a feeling they got what they were aiming for on this one. Worth trying at least once for yourself to decide.

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

I'm normally a somewhat harsh critic of Surly brews, but they impress me enough that I was willing to give this a try and I'm very glad I did.

Appearance: Orange/very faint golden color, significant head.

Smell: Smells a little fruity and a little boozy, both in a good way.

Taste: I poured this with some friends and we let our glasses sit for about ten minutes before taking the first sip. The flavor came out as thick and fruity, but not nearly as boozy as I expected, which is impressive given the 15% ABV. The booziness did seem to increase a bit as my glass sat and the temperature rose.

Body: Very potent overall. This beer has a thickness to it that I haven't before experienced in a beer and it leaves you with a warming feeling almost like a good whiskey.

In all, this is an excellent beer and I will make sure I never miss another Surly annual. I definitely recommend that you split a bottle with a friend or two, not so much because it packs a punch (which it does) but because I think temperature plays a significant role - pour your glasses, let them sit for ten minutes but not longer. Too warm and the booziness starts to overtake the excellent flavor.

4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance: Hazy orange, good carbonation, very good head for a strong beer.

Smell: Sweet, big fruity aroma, malty, citrus.

Taste: Sweetness like hard candy, moves on to a boozy oranges and apricot mix, finishes with a little bitterness.

Finally got around to drinking my bottle of SYX. It's in a category by itself as far as taste, though the orange flavors remind me of the orange flavors in Bitter Brewer, only pumped up to 11 and boozy. It's always an interesting experiment for the Surly anniversary beers, and this is no exception.

3.16/5  rDev -16.8%

750ml orange waxed bottle, the label says this is 15%abv. Purchased from France 44 online.

It pours a 24K gold with a 1 finger head of foam that refuses to shrink much and when it does, it leaves plenty of lacing behind.

I took this out straight from the fridge so I'm not getting much in the way of smell. What I can get is a fruity kind of sweetness, and some of the alcohol. I'll take some more whiffs when it warms up.

On first sip, the first thing that comes to mind is how dry it tastes to me. A fruity kind of dry; kind of bitter with some hints of tartness. Some sweet notes move in, you should see me shaking my head while swishing the beer in my mouth...or not; I bet it looks silly.lol.

The sweet tastes honey like but I'm not sure on that point. There's a massive attack from the potent alcohol going on now. Another sip in and yes, there's definitely more than a hint of tartness. Intended? In an American Strong Ale? I'll have to check the other reviews to see if anyone mentions it.

The finish is where I taste the fruity tartness the most, and the alcohol. It has a fine mouthfeel but I'm a little concerned over yes, I'll say it again, the tartness.

This is not what I expected from Surly given the style but maybe it's because of the, and I quote from the label, "Utilizing 6 wood species in a "Honey Comb" shape for aging" end of my quote of label.

Warming up during the session hasn't improved things from my palate's point of view. It now tastes dank, tart, alcoholic...not my cup of tea at all. The smell is about on the same level now. Completely off style if it is, in fact, supposed to be an ASA.

I wasn't a fan of the Five. Chalk me up as not of fan of Six. I'll take your regular offerings any day, Surly.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

One inch white head in a dark golden/amber body. Great head retention and lacing considering the ABV.

Nice woody/honey aroma.

"White grapey". I feel like there is a sweet honey alcoholy finish. Leaves the mouth burning from the booze.

Medium mouthfeel, adaquate carbonation.

Woo, pretty different strong ale here. Different attributes. To sum it up I would say a honey booze bomb, at least for the time being.

4.79/5  rDev +26.1%

You gotta try this! This is a masterpiece.

Beautiful honey colored amber tinted pour.

Nose: All kinds of sweet honeyed fruits in the nose. RIPE peaches, mango, pineapple, melons. Little hint of tart/sourness inhaled.
Wow.

Taste: Booze, fades after a few sips, but the mild warming remains throughout. Little tingling bite. Fucking ambrosia. Same ripe fruits as in the nose, honeyed is the word. Mildly honeyed. Tartness, just a nip, takes the edge of sweetness off a bit and perfectly interacts with subtle citric/grapefruit hops and a clearly spicy bite to produce one of the best tasting beers I've ever had.

Body: nowhere near as cloying as I'd suspect from the nose and mouth, but a bit of that viscous nature. Outrageously quaffable for the abv and sweetness.

Surly amazes me.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Pours a very dark, orange hue. A little cloudy, with small, slighty fluffy white head. The lighter color surprised me a bit.

S: Stone fruits that evolves to a sweeter citrus. Getting lots of wood with some pleasing floral notes and dry, grainy malts.

T: Malty grains hit me first with some woody citrus. Definitely boozy, alcohol sting & some astringent characters in the finish. Tropical fruits, pine, with some thick toasted caramel color. Punchy, earthy. A sipper for sure.

MF: Thick & chewy, with a prickly dry finish. A bit more carbonated than I would have liked.

O: Aggressive and big, pretty interesting. The wood characters provide some depth that really takes the citrus and malty elements to a different level. A bit boozy. I wonder what this will taste like in a few years.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Had a glass at 3 Squares in Maple Grove. Yup, that's a strong beer. Oddly, there was a clear sour funk when the beer was fresh off the tap and faded as it warmed. It tasted like a younger sourness, and, I suspect, could make this beer really interesting in a couple years.

This is a thick, fruity beer with a dry funky edge. I get apricot, marmalade, and tangerine up front and then a more toasty fresh oak barrel kick and wood astringency (not too much, just a touch). It's understandably thick for the strength, and well-balanced by the hops. It's a very good beer as is, but I think in a 12-24 months it could be great.

SŸX from Surly Brewing Company