SŸX - Surly Brewing Company

SŸXSŸX

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Strong Ale |  14.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 07-19-2012)
2.4/5  rDev -36.8%

On tap at Muddy Pig. Served in a 12 oz tulip.

Deep amber with a viscous clarity. Medium head and retention. Doesn't smell like much at first but some malts and fruit come forward as it warms up. I am neutral on the aroma.

Off to taste --- WTF?! Acidic, harsh and somewhat bready but very shallow malt character for the octane. I am NOT digging this weird tartness at all. Drinks like a poorly made DIPA once you get past the acidity. I'd give it a 1 on taste but there is no hint of booze at all, which is something.

Mouthfeel? I am not sure what to expect but I am going with a 3, right in the middle. Not bad but nothing exciting either.

In my humble opinion, this is just not a good beer. Or maybe it's not ready (no pun intended!).

4, 3, 2, 3, 2

tewaris, Aug 10, 2012

SaxmanRick, Aug 10, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Appears clear orangish gold. Dense white head with splotchy lacing and terrific retention. Nose is intensely full of caramel malts and a thick honey sweetness. Earthy hops cut through the sweetness. Notes of oak and toast come through. Taste starts sweet with honey and caramel. Dry woody notes come next and provide warm toasty bread qualities. Tons of honey present along with molasses and heat at the end. The mouthfeel provides high carbonation and plenty of body. Overall, another delicious brew from surly (what's new?). A little in the hot side... Definitely a nod to the barleywine style.

homebrew311, Aug 10, 2012

zonker17, Aug 09, 2012

copslovebeer, Aug 07, 2012

vobr0002, Aug 06, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

Waxed bottle poured into a snifter. Got this one shipped to me from an online shop based in Minnesota.

A- Pours a light orange/ amber color and very cloudy. About a finger's worth of head fades to a film along with lots of sticky lacing along the sides of the glass.

S- Alcohol and and overall sweetness dominate the smell. Some slight hints of some fruity/ floral hop notes are in there as well.

T- Wow, this might be the most alcohol-forward beer I've ever had aside from Utopias. Once you get past the overall sweetness and booziness, I get some citrusy floral hop notes.

M- Heavy on the alcohol, a definite sipper, with some hop bitterness.

I know its 15% ABV, but I was expected this to drink a little better. It's kind of a sweet boozey mess in my opinion. I'm sure some time in the cellar would do it good, but unfortunately I could only get my hands on one bottle.

vic21234, Aug 06, 2012

fuzzcherry, Aug 05, 2012

zirkusaffe, Aug 05, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

A-a beautiful looking brew. Orangish-red with pretty good clarity. A thick dense creamy white head that has a little staying power.
S-tons of aroma; sweet floral honey dominates. Plenty of grainy barley malt aroma
T-similar to the aroma, sweet with plenty of grainy malty goodness.
M-medium bodied a fair amount of carbonation, boozy warming finish that doesn't linger
O-a beer for contemplating. Aromatic, sweet and strong. A beer that stretches the limits of what a beer can be. Drinks like a barley wine, enjoyable fresh. I wonder how a bottle will taste with a little age.

deebo, Aug 04, 2012

Shango42, Aug 03, 2012

olmane, Aug 01, 2012

Petcha, Jul 30, 2012

stpaulsipper07, Jul 30, 2012

bigbeers84, Jul 29, 2012

joh04587, Jul 29, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Glowing copper-orange with decent sized white head that settles back to a thin line. Unique color and surprising that it actually produced a head.

Smell: The base aroma is similar to an American Barleywine, with toffee and dark fruit, but an unusual level of citrusy hops on top. There is also a ridiculously high level of booze that burns my nose if I smell too deeply. A touch of oak and honey.

Taste: The citrus, spice and oak are very apparent in the taste. Similar to the aroma, the backbone is Barleywine-like, with toffee and dark fruits. Also, has some minor mead qualities, although I am not aware of honey being used. I know that the oak additions were in a honey comb shape, but that certainly is not actual honey. Speaking of the oak, it imparts a sour mash taste on the finish, along with the hoppy bitterness.

Feel: While the body is certainly thick, it is actually lighter than I expected, which is nice. Carbonation is also livelier than expected. Finish is very dry. While all those qualities are very commendable for such a high abv beer, it is also warming to the poin of almost burning. The Jameson that I sipped later that night actually burned less than this.

Overall: This is certainly a unique beer, and the oak adds an extra layer that is different from the typical barrel or oak aged beer. However, the base is quite simply a way too boozy Barleywine. I wonder if they could have tried to create a similar profile at closer to 10%. I really did enjoy this, but it is also a disappointment. I will let my other bottle sit a couple years and see how or if it improves this.

bsp77, Jul 29, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +25%

Poured from 750 ml waxed bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep and clear pale golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. A solid three fingers of off white head which slowly recedes into a thin patchy layer. Lacing is moderate.

Smell: Huge aroma of citrus hops. Ripe grapefruit, pineapple, mango, orange, apricot, tangerine, peach, and lemon. Quite vibrant with the fruits. Doesn't smell overly bitter with the hops. Good hints of wood. Bready malts with hints of toffee and caramel. Some honey like sweetness and sugar. A little alcohol in the aroma. A pretty sweet and fruity smell. Quite complex and interesting.

Taste: A very vibrant and juicy taste that is a lot smoother than expected. Rich and sweet citrus hop esters with good notes of mango, pineapple, grapefruit, apricot, orange, tangerine, lemon, and peach. A good amount of wood taste and some honey. Solid backing of malts with some notes of caramel, toffee, and biscuit. Some alcohol heat comes in towards the finish and lingers into the aftertaste but it isn't too heavy. Hops are pretty juicy but the bitterness is cut down like an imperial IPA with some age on it. On the sweeter side of juicy. Very complex and good.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with a carbonation on the lower side. Juicy and chewy. Somewhat syrupy. Alcohol heat comes through pretty good but this has amazing smoothness considering the ABV. Probably the smoothest I've had at this alcohol range.

Overall: Another amazing brew from Surly. Great citrus and wood flavors while doing a great job keeping it fairly smooth. It will be interesting to see how my other bottles age. Really interesting brew.

MattyG85, Jul 29, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a glowing bright orange with a little head of super soft light khaki foam that leaves some light lacing. Decent retention.

Getting almost only pure orange juice from the nose. Juicy, sweet and citrusy rounds it out.

This is such a different flavor than what I was expecting going in. I hear "american strong ale" and always think dark and loaded with malty sweetness and booze. This is definitely different from that. Loads of citrus up front with fresh mandarin orange and pineapple leading the assault. Light bitterness and fruity citrus sweetness. Maybe a little orange blossom honey. Warm, bordering on hot alcohol at the end, but not overwhelmingly so. The heat does linger long after drinking. Some hoppy bitterness at the very end also.

The body feels WAY lighter than a 15% beer. Not a complaint at all on my part. The heat will remind you that it is all of 15% though. Actually has a nice summery feel to it especially with all of the orange. Finishes lightly sticky, but still feeling the warm alcohol.

I have to say that this is a very original take on the style. It's bright and IPA/DIPA citrusy that you just don't typically find in the style. Can't personally tell that this was wood aged, but maybe it is just adding to the citrus component of the overall beer. Enjoyable, but yes, boozy and hot. I'll lay one down and save it for a future date for comparison, but very glad I tried it fresh also.

jera1350, Jul 29, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

Surly Syx. I don't know how to do umlauts over the y. I don't know why I should. Except that it's metal!

Before I crack the crown, and drink it up, a word about the label. It's the latest from Michael Berglund, who did last year's Darkness as well as other artistic efforts throughout the past annum. I was moved by his recent revelation that this demon character was derived from a wooden work of a friend of his who had recently succumbed to suicide. A beautiful act, to immortalize his art in another work, and what better commemoration than a Surly bottle?

Appearance: clear tangerine. with a thick snowy white head, dotted, and leaving lace. Looks great.

Aroma: fruit aplenty, mango, tangerine, apricot, orange, lime…all kinds of citrus. And the looming presence of alcohol.

Taste: Mmmm, fruit and booze, that's the first impression. You can't have this much ABV (15% is what's reported) without it making it's mark. Flavor rises higher, as well as the alcohol feel. More of the same, the tropical fruit, the citrus, a tingle of pine. And there's some woodiness covering it all, but don't expect me to pick them all out of the honeycomb. (Cherry, ash, ...dang, I had a few of them, now I forgot.)

Flavor increases in complexity, there's more and more coming through. And, all the while comes the boom-biddy-boom-boom. Shammalamma ding-dong. Boom, shackalackalaca.

What's more, this is really what we should expect from Surly. It's a one-off anniversary brew that defies categories, but it is so remarkably delicious that it only underscores Surly's ability to craft brews such as these with the greatest of ease.

After six years, this is the beer Surly should be making. It follows no clear precedent. It adopts no formulas, falls in line with nothing. And it is so goddamn tasty.

Aging isn't a question for a brew this big and boozy. Definitely put some away for a little mellowing. It's a special brew, let's slowly savor to enjoy what six years has brought us.

feloniousmonk, Jul 28, 2012

MrFootstones, Jul 28, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

Sixth Anniversary Beer. No other freshness dating.

A= Pours a bright hazy orange color with a somewhat thick finger of head on it that is very active and surpisingly it holds some nice retention for having such a high ABV.

S= I've heard a lot of complaining regarding alcohol being the main character but it's not for me. I get a citrus apricot aroma as well as some nice wood character. It's actually hard to say specifically what this smells like but it reminds me of a wood aged Imperial IPA without as many hops. The hop character is definitally there but it's "fading" and the wood plays with it. The malt character is deep and complex with a lot of different notes in it.

T= Again I've heard a lot about how the alcohol dominates. I don't get that. I get a nice bold hop character for it with a nice sort of punch. A good wood character again is in it and there is a great malty complex sort of sweetness to it. The finish is a bit boozy that sort of wafts over the tongue between sips. Nothing over the top and crazy. I'm actually really impressed with how well it's hidden. Not the rocket fuel I was expecting after reading some of the other reviews but it's definitally something I feel after a sip and you can taste the alcohol after each sip as I mentioned.

M= A great weight and mouth.

O= This is one you feel fast. A great beer that's high octane and hides it well. A crazy good beer for the ABV and just how metal it is. I'm sure there will be tons of people waiting to say this beer is too hot and Surly fell off. I'm not one of those people. This beer pushes the envelope once again as Surly is famous for doing and it's extreme. A great beer and I'm sure it is only going to get better and better with age.

jjanega08, Jul 28, 2012