Fiery Hell - Surly Brewing Company

good

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.10% ABV

Cask conditioned lager infused with chilies.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 07-20-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

kdilks, Oct 29, 2012

Alpar, Aug 09, 2014

dmadsen, Apr 20, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

I had it on tap last night at the Blue Nile. I had very little to no nose of the pepper infusion. I had a minor intial taste of pepper. The heat was subtle in the front but it had a more pronounced heat in the finish that lingered a few minutes. It was a very good beer, however if I had more than the small portion in the flight, I'm unsure how long it would take to finish. It probably didnt help that I had heat with the food prior.

Philly82785, Feb 05, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Served on-draught into a generic tulip at the Republic bar in Minneapolis. Reviewed from notes taken around Thanksgiving 2012.

A: Pours no head whatsoever, just a khaki floater. Body colour is a pale gold. No yeast particles are visible. no bubble show.

Sm: Light orange fruit and floral hops. Tangerine. Pale malts. Passionfruit. Pleasant and inviting. My broken nose detects no chili pepper.

T: Pale malts, tropical acidic fruit, orange, chili pepper (jalapeno), and some tropical passion fruit. Well balanced and executed, with a well handled spicy chili kick. This is what a chili beer should be. I like it.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Excellent carbonation. Good thickness. Suits the flavours well.

Dr: Quite drinkable and enjoyable; not overbearing for a chili beer. That said, I wouldn't want to do a pint of it on a night out with the lads. I'd certainly kick back and watch a film with it or pair it with food. Definitely one of the best chili beers I've had.

B

Hands down one of the best beers for pairing with pizza. A great option for food pairing.

kojevergas, Dec 06, 2012

DrZeus10, Jun 07, 2013

GeezLynn, Feb 19, 2013

Doyle, Dec 14, 2013

KarlHungus, May 28, 2013

zestar, Jul 12, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +3%

Pours a clear straw golden yellow. White head at first that fades away.

Aroma is fairly mild. I get hints of the peppers, but nothing over the top.

The flavor brings out the peppers a bit more. Spicy in the finish. Not super hot compared to other pepper beers, but enough to let you know they are there. The nice part about the peppers is they still let you know you are drinking hell.

Mouthfeel: Light and spicy.

Overall, I like this better than hell. I thought the peppers and oak barrels made this beer a bit more complex. I'd drink more of this if it's around.

mothman, Aug 22, 2013
3.83/5  rDev +3%

Surly Fiery Hell. Hell, the Helles lager, with a ton of peppers in it. I had this at All Pints North, avoided it at Autumn Brew Review. Now, I can finally get a full pour (didn't know they were releasing kegs of it. )…so, let's have one, though I know what I'm in for.

Hazy dark golden hue, small white head above.

Aroma: Peppery flavor (without the heat) resting over a basic pilsnery malt nose.

Taste: Ow! Ow! yew! The peppers are in full effect. Ooo, ooo, ooh! yeeeow! But, you know, ..ow! Yeow! It keeps biting!

What can I really say about this? It's my evil antithesis. Long ago I learned that a light lager plus hot chilis does not equal pleasure for me. I'd rather it were done with an ale, with more flavors to compete and contribute to this mess. But a light lager will only give the pepper so much more room to shine, and while that may be ideal for some, it is not for me. I skipped this at ABR, having had my fill at APN, but couldn't resist the chance to "tick it", in this sort of fashion.

from Acadia's flier: blah blah (about Hell)...and then..."Cask conditioned and aged on Hickory wood and Puya chiles for a slow burn on the back of the tongue. 4.5% aBV, 12 degrees Plato, 20 IBU.

feloniousmonk, Oct 02, 2012