1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fiery Hell - Surly Brewing Company

Fiery Hell
No picture uploaded.

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.10% ABV

Cask conditioned lager infused with chilies.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 07-20-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 40 | Reviews: 6 | Show All Ratings:
Philly82785

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

I had it on tap last night at the Blue Nile. I had very little to no nose of the pepper infusion. I had a minor intial taste of pepper. The heat was subtle in the front but it had a more pronounced heat in the finish that lingered a few minutes. It was a very good beer, however if I had more than the small portion in the flight, I'm unsure how long it would take to finish. It probably didnt help that I had heat with the food prior.

02-05-2013 18:47:19 | More by Philly82785
kojevergas

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Served on-draught into a generic tulip at the Republic bar in Minneapolis. Reviewed from notes taken around Thanksgiving 2012.

A: Pours no head whatsoever, just a khaki floater. Body colour is a pale gold. No yeast particles are visible. no bubble show.

Sm: Light orange fruit and floral hops. Tangerine. Pale malts. Passionfruit. Pleasant and inviting. My broken nose detects no chili pepper.

T: Pale malts, tropical acidic fruit, orange, chili pepper (jalapeno), and some tropical passion fruit. Well balanced and executed, with a well handled spicy chili kick. This is what a chili beer should be. I like it.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Excellent carbonation. Good thickness. Suits the flavours well.

Dr: Quite drinkable and enjoyable; not overbearing for a chili beer. That said, I wouldn't want to do a pint of it on a night out with the lads. I'd certainly kick back and watch a film with it or pair it with food. Definitely one of the best chili beers I've had.

B

Hands down one of the best beers for pairing with pizza. A great option for food pairing.

12-06-2012 18:54:51 | More by kojevergas
feloniousmonk

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

Surly Fiery Hell. Hell, the Helles lager, with a ton of peppers in it. I had this at All Pints North, avoided it at Autumn Brew Review. Now, I can finally get a full pour (didn't know they were releasing kegs of it. )…so, let's have one, though I know what I'm in for.

Hazy dark golden hue, small white head above.

Aroma: Peppery flavor (without the heat) resting over a basic pilsnery malt nose.

Taste: Ow! Ow! yew! The peppers are in full effect. Ooo, ooo, ooh! yeeeow! But, you know, ..ow! Yeow! It keeps biting!

What can I really say about this? It's my evil antithesis. Long ago I learned that a light lager plus hot chilis does not equal pleasure for me. I'd rather it were done with an ale, with more flavors to compete and contribute to this mess. But a light lager will only give the pepper so much more room to shine, and while that may be ideal for some, it is not for me. I skipped this at ABR, having had my fill at APN, but couldn't resist the chance to "tick it", in this sort of fashion.

from Acadia's flier: blah blah (about Hell)...and then..."Cask conditioned and aged on Hickory wood and Puya chiles for a slow burn on the back of the tongue. 4.5% aBV, 12 degrees Plato, 20 IBU.

10-02-2012 07:12:39 | More by feloniousmonk
MattyG85

4.23/5  rDev +12.5%

On tap at Muddy Waters in Minneapolis, MN. Served in a Surly shaker glass.

Appearance: Color is a straw pale golden yellow with some orange. Moderate amount of bubbles. Solid three fingers of white head with good retention. Leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Bready biscuity malts with a quite noticeable scent of hot chili peppers. Nice scent of grass and earthy hops. Hints of cereal grains, caramel, toffee, and crackers with some lemon zest. Fairly floral and yeasty. It essentially smells like the base beer Hell with a big kick of chili peppers. Pretty interesting and intriguing.

Taste: Holy Red Hot Chili Peppers Batman! The peppers come out considerably stronger in the taste with a fairly sharp heat to them. Not overwhelming, but it packs enough heat to compare with a big boozy beer. Although you can still taste the base beer. Behind the peppers is a nice bready biscuit flavor with good hints of cereal grains, crackers, toffee, and caramel. Fairly floral with some hints of earthy hops and grass. Somewhat in your face with the spice but good.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp and pretty spicy but still pretty easy to get down.

Overall: The spice whacks the tongue but this is pretty good if you like extreme flavors. A nice kick to the base Hell beer. Would easily stand up to a spicy Mexican dish.

10-01-2012 22:49:52 | More by MattyG85
tewaris

It is what it is, a relatively simple lager with some wood and pepper but it works. Hell (the base beer) serves as a great vehicle for the chillies. It's aromatic and flavorful and has a decent degree of heat to it. Nowhere close to Ghost Face Killah, but definitely enough to be felt.

Definitely a fest novelty that I would not particularly want to purchase in 4-pack cans but will try whenever it makes an appearance.

09-23-2012 16:29:23 | More by tewaris
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a clear straw golden yellow. White head at first that fades away.

Aroma is fairly mild. I get hints of the peppers, but nothing over the top.

The flavor brings out the peppers a bit more. Spicy in the finish. Not super hot compared to other pepper beers, but enough to let you know they are there. The nice part about the peppers is they still let you know you are drinking hell.

Mouthfeel: Light and spicy.

Overall, I like this better than hell. I thought the peppers and oak barrels made this beer a bit more complex. I'd drink more of this if it's around.

Serving type: cask