Overrated West Coast IPA - Surly Brewing Company

Overrated West Coast IPAOverrated West Coast IPA

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 02-05-2013

It's been said; "Its easier to brew an extremely hoppy beer than an extremely balanced beer." And you know us, we are always looking for the easy way out, so we jumped on the West Coast IPA Bandwagon and brewed this dry and hoppy ale. "Surly's a little bit of a one-trick pony, they just brew gimmick beers," and maybe we are OVERRATED, but at the end of the day it's just a beer. If yo like it, great, so do we. If you only liked us when we were small, then leave this one on the shelf. Let one of the fanyboys grab it.
Ratings: 1,360 | Reviews: 206

This is a tasty IPA in the west coast style? It is very balanced and not overtly hoppy. It is a very well made IPA! My only complaint is it is in a can!
Pour it into a glass!

Apperance: Orangish amber forms a white head and nice lacing
Smell: hoppy citrus aroma
Taste: dry hop heaven it is well balanced and awesome I normally am more discriptive but hoppy and well balanced is all I can say
Overall: this is a well made beer and not overtly over hopped. Would dri no it again and again!

Underrated.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great IPA in moderation!! At 7.3% really packs a hoppy punch. Should be called UNDERrated

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Surly Brewing Company - Overrated West Coast IPA - Pint Can

Let me just say, this brew is phenomenal, if you have a chance to try it, do so!

Look - Pours a clear pale golden with a slight amber tint. Small, soapy head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind sticky lacing.

Smell - Malts and hops blend perfectly here, aroma is smooth but still has that Surly punch.

Taste - Everything comes together neatly in the taste. Smooth with a mean boy kick. Surly supreme!

Mouthfeel - Dry and bitter, crisp, and refreshing as hell. Drinkable for sure. Each sip makes you thirsty for more.

Overall - Overrated is a hilarious name for this beer because it is amazing, you will have to try it to believe it. Surly Brewing Co. is one badass company.

4.73/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This pours out beautiful in a deep hazy orange that you can barely see through with a tight white head.

The aroma has big sweet pineapple, mango, very tropical, lot of pine. There’s some orange and bit of grapefruit too. Not a huge huge aroma despite being 7 weeks old (5/14/13), but quite wonderful smelling. In the back, there’s some of that cat pee or dankness. As it warms up, those last characteristics bloom out more and you just get some pure "hop" aroma. It's not specific really, but just flowery, big, dank hops.

The flavor hits you immediately with huge grapefruit. There’s a bit malt sweetness in there too, but not very malty or sweet. Not much of a bit palate there.

The bitterness on the end is very piney and grapefuit peel and pith. It really is that bitter pith. It’s really bitter and leaves the tongue extremely dry.

The mouthfeel is a good medium.

Wow, what a wonderful example of the West Coast style. Not very malty, aggressively bitter and dry.

In the end, I really like this beer. As a single IPA, I really would be happy to have this all the time. The lack of malt really makes this super easy to drink and that huge bitterness eventually becomes a highlight of the beer (though offensive for some probably). I won’t say it’ll blow your socks off, but for the style, this is where it’s at.

4.67/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

16 oz. can purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area, canned on 4/9/13, poured into a DFH pseudo-IPA glass, drank 4/26-27/13 over two hours.

A: 4.75 - straw yellow coloration, impressive clarity (definitely can read through), frothy white one finger head with impressive retention, moderate-to-large alcohol legs for sub-10% beer

S: 4.5 - lots and lots of grapefruit, pine needle, tangerine, tropical fruits just pouring off the glass...could smell this one for days and not get bored

T: 4.75 - on the front of the tongue, it's what you'd expect from the aroma with bitterness but not overpoweringly so; as it settles in, there is a bready malt backbone that touches the taste buds but keeps it unbalanced in the best possible way; drying as fuck and almost takes the breath away on certain sips

M: 4.75 - moderate-to-full-bodied, alcohol is appropriately apparently; high (and impressive) carbonation just pouring off the bottom of the glass in tight little bubbles

O: 4.75 - best brewery in the U.S.? I have yet to have a Surly beer that hasn't been the best beer that I've drank on a particular evening and this is absolutely no exception; it's a pretty perfect smelling and tasting American IPA; overrated, dare I say that this brewery is actually underrated? I'll continue to drink everything that they put out and smile widely...

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This should be called UNDER RATED! Even at its current BA rating at 4.09.... I don't know why I waited this long to try this but I'm glad I didn't wait another day. Will be a main stay in the rotation.

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a nice, slightly Hazy golden orange. The smell is phenomenal! I set it a cross the room and could smell the perfect combination of piney citrus. Extremely balanced APA. Not overbearing piney resin, with slight citrus and malt for balance. Still provides dank. A slight onion/garlic in the end to heighten the feel. Not a lot of carbonation, and is crisp and refreshing. I could drink a lot of these, the 7.3% could sneak up on me however. Another good beer from Surly.

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned on 04/02/13

A= Pours a hazy bright orange color with a nice finger of foamy head leaving behind some decent lacing along the sides of the glass. Orange IPA's are my weakness.

S= West Coast Style IPA for sure. Loads of just straight dank hops. Smells like a fresh opening from a bag at Northern Brewer. Really powerful hops.

T= What do you know the taste is "mega hop". Punches you right in the mouth with a huge hop flavor. Big piney citrus notes. Very resinous and full of nice pollen. There is actually quite a nice buiscuit backbone to it what while it isn't a major flavor offers a little relief from the assult on your taste buds from the hops. Your burps taste like hop pellets.

M= Typical clean refreshing west coast IPA mouth on it. Leaves just enough cover on your pallet.

O= West Coast IPA is what they wanted West Coast IPA is what they get. This is exactly what I expected from Surly and they certainly delivered. Imagine a West Coast IPA done by Surly and you know what it tastes like. If you are fortunate enough to live in this great state do yourself a favor and buy lots!

4.56/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Crystal clear, bright orange color with bright white head that falls quickly.

S: Catty, pine and citrus hop aroma that puts your sences in to a euphoric state

T: A big burst of pine bitterness on the first sip. The crisp toasty malt vibe is subtle when it washes over the pallet, then it finishing with a catty west coast hop bite. \m/

M: Sticky hop oils, mild carbonation and moderate body.

O: I've never had a subpar beer from Surly. They have another winner with Overrated, I just wish we could get it easier in WI.

4.54/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can poured into a standard pint.

A: I always gently pour which doesn't give me very much head. A fridge-cold beer poured into a standard pint did not give me any head whatsoever. Not a problem, but your mileage may vary. Lots of carbonation. Clear, golden/orange color.

S: Hoppy, citrus, and a hint of pine. Smells delicious.

T: The hops in the smell doesn't disappoint when it comes to the taste. The cirtus is there as well. I'm really not sure what more I can say. Tastes delicious.

M: Light, dry, and airy.

O: Excellent West Coast IPA. Not the best, but it's up there. Surly does it again.

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Love the can. Surlys product design is always as good, and sometimes better, than there beer. From the can into my imperial pint glass.

Pours a honey gold with a nice two finger cream head. Decent retention and lacing. Tons of fine hop particulate floating about.

Like Furiuos and Abrasive, you can smell the hops as you pour. The nose s like sticking your face in bag of Cascade hops. Tons of grapefruit and pine. Subtle but present bready malt.

Bam! Hop punch to the tongue. Classic West Coast IPA profile. Grapefruit and pine throughout, some bready, slightly caramely, malt keeps things in check. Bitter hoppy finish.

Medium in body. Medium in carbonation. Bitter and dry in the finish. Clean, but the mouth just right.

Overall, this is something Surly has yet to do...they fell in line. They brewed something to style, and they did it masterfully. As a West Coast IPA this is nothing mind blowing, it doesn't push the style, it's no Alpine Nelson. It is, however, another impeccably crafted hoppy ale, from the best brewer in this fine state. Maybe that's homerism, but like Surly, I don't give a damn. This is a fine beer. Drink em if you got em. Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the can into a tumbler-type glass in my hotel room. Hazy golden orange in color, with just a bit of a head. Slightly sweet, fruity smell. Very hop-forward upon tasting with plenty of lingering. Overall a very satisfying IPA and a nice companion to Furious.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Medium sized maybe slightly bigger off white head settles to a quarter inch froth covering a cloudy honey golden colored beer filled with little particles that show this beer wasn't over filtered, which to me is a good thing.

Citrus fruit and light pine fill the hops based aroma.

Smooth citrusy fruit, light grasses and lighter even pine aspects fill the taste of this Overrated offering.

A lighter dryish aftertaste with just a noticeable bit of the citrus tastes remaining behind with this medium bodied IPA.

I like this, what to me seems to be the right amount of the west coast style of IPA in a beer, it has the taste I want without overkill. I think an evening filled with these would do a person good.
Enough said.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A beautiful west coast-style IPA found in the Midwest. As some IPAs become less bitter, and more sugary, this holds onto a smooth, hoppy bitterness that pleases those looking to avoid sweet undertones. Very nice.

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured correctly into tulip style stemware For maximum sensory pickup. Leave it to surly to knock this one out of the park. It's nice to have other flavors on the radar other than just an aggressively hopped-out brew typical of most west coast style IPAs (which I have no problem with either). The obvious grapefruit, Carmel, and florals are there along with a few surprises of burnt marshmallow, butterscotch, with some lime peel on the finish. Because it's not the typical hopBOMB west coast style and the hop-load is a hair more modest it makes this one very drinkable even in más quantities. I would easily place it in my top 5 west coAst style IPAs. Never disappointed surly, word to your moms.

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is unique...in a good way, I think. The very first thing I noticed was old fashion baseball card bubble gum. At first it seemed out of place but it soon convinved me that belonged in this big beer. The bubblegum lingers... but not for long and soon gives way to awesome hopiness expected in a "West Coast" IPA. The finish is a bit achoholic but that is to be expected in a 7.2% ale.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

poured 16oz can into Duvel tulip. Canned 6/19/13

A - Bright and hazy peach colored with a nice 2 finger foamy head. Retention is great and there is sufficient lacing.

S - Nice floral and tropical, citrus hop notes. I get unsweetened orange, tangerine, mango, and passion fruit. There is bitterness, but more of a grapefruit bitterness. Some caramel and honey sweetness round it off.

T - Big orange and tangerine, with mangos, passion fruit and other tropical flavors. Malts of caramel and honey are in the middle to balance this out. Finish is more of the citrus bitter. I think this is a delicious IPA.

M - Good carbonation, medium bodied with a slick feel.

O - I think this my favorite IPA from Surly. I really enjoy the orange, tangerine, and tropical blend. I recommend getting some!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This is not the in-your-face hop slap you get with most Surly brews. Hops in the nose and definitely hops on the tongue. Hops lean towards the piney. But the hops aren't the only show. Decent malt base. Good body with some substance, not thin. Leaves the lips a bit sticky. This is an IPA that could easily be a session brew.

The head poured thick and stuck to the glass for the entire drink. Beer is honey-colored and clear.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I got this can delivered to my door by Jeffrey2310. Stand-up guy. Thanks a million.

From the can I tossed this into a Revolution Brewing pint glass. I love it already.

Perfectly pours an off white head that recedes to a ring around the glass. A beautiful IPA cloud of sediment suspends throughout with a few bubbles of carbonation appearing out of nowhere.

It smells like a dang wet hopped IPA and a little less citrus than I anticipated.

Taste is amazing. What a well balanced freakin beer. At first it seems malty and a bit sweet, then the hops kicks in with a mellow subtle tangerine but not too bitter. On the back of the tongue is a slight numbing and an almost caramel finish that balances out making me want 12 more of these.

Solid ass IPA. I love the "Hype" statement on the can. Good job, Surly.

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can Poured vigorously into Samuel Smith imperial pint glass. Tall boys fit in these imperial pints I have from Sam Smith so well. Too bad they are also my girl friend's favorite glasses to drink out of.

A- Pale, light orate-yellow with 2 fingers of fluffy off white head that dissipates leisurely to a thin large bubbled floating ring.

S- Hops forward with highlights of citrus yet more hops. It smells a bit dry and musty as well. Doesn't carry the abrasive nature most ales from Surly do.

T- Follows the nose closely with lots of hops right off the top and hints of citrus and dry grapefruit. Slight pint tang. This ale finishes with a slight yet comfortable pucker making me want more.

M- Light to medium bodied with dryness from start to finish and that pucker as aforementioned.

O- Not sure if this follows suit with other west coast IPAs as I am not entirely sure what that means but it is most definitely on the lighter side IPAs speaking. It vaguely reminds me of the Bitter Brewer from Surly just because of how dry it is and once again the lighter IPA kills it! I'm not sure what it is but I absolutely adore what people are doing with this style, whatever people are calling it.

Cheers.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

Aroma is mangoes/pomegranate, citrus and a hint of Belgian sugar. The flavor is citrus, mangoes/pomegranate, fruit, mild hop resin, malts and a mix of bitter and pine needles in the finish.

4.41/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic Brew. Was canned 6/19/13 and was quite impress how flavorful it tasted considering it was canned almost a few months ago. Poured into snifter glass. An inch or two of a foamy white head built up quickly. Beautiful golden hay-like color. The aroma was heavy on oranges and passionfruit. It's quite sweet; very inviting to take a sip.

The flavors were incredible. It starts out sweet and finishes just slightly bitter. The sweet malt cuts down the bitterness of the hops. It's pretty well balance. A lot going on in my mouth. Variety of tropical flavors present - mangos, passion fruit, and citrus. Wish the bitterness was amped up a bit more in this brew.

Carbonation seems just a tad low; without pacing myself, I will finish this IPA in no time. It's so incredibly good that after one sip it keeps me wanting more.

Overall I'm impressed. In my opinion this "Overrated" beer seems a bit underrated per BA reviews (side note: I don't quite know the difference between west-coast and east-coast IPA's, so I don't quite get how they came up with the name Overrated). Don't drink this with food, it's fantastic on its own. This beer is very mild in bitterness, should be amped up a little bit more imo. Either way, outstanding!!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This one was also picked up on trade. Thanks man!

Appearance: lighter in color decent amount of head at first then settles to basically nil.

Aroma: Floral resinous hops. This does smell like something Stone would produce and does actually reminds me a lot of some Stone beers.

Taste: I reminds me a lot of Stone's DIPA's, not a bad beer in any regard but very resinous and potent. I would say Enjoy By would be a good comparison to this one, but the only difference is this one does not as as much alcohol.

Overall: Great beer, if you live in Minnesota pick this one up, otherwise its great but there are a lot of beer that have a similar taste profile. Great beer but very similar to a lot of beers out there. Its top notch but not on the caliber as the other IPA's in Surly's canon!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to Stillyman11 for this
16 oz can, dated 11/26/14, poured into a tulip

A- A slightly hazy golden orange with a four finger white head.

S- Pine, dank, citrus, fruity.

T- Piney/dank bitter finish, bright citrus upfront, slightly fruity, caramel malts that give it a nice balance, well done.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- An awesome IPA from Surly. Differently worth seeking out, I would not call this beer overrated.

Overrated West Coast IPA from Surly Brewing Company