Overrated West Coast IPA - Surly Brewing Company

Overrated West Coast IPAOverrated West Coast IPA

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 02-05-2013

It's been said; "Its easier to brew an extremely hoppy beer than an extremely balanced beer." And you know us, we are always looking for the easy way out, so we jumped on the West Coast IPA Bandwagon and brewed this dry and hoppy ale. "Surly's a little bit of a one-trick pony, they just brew gimmick beers," and maybe we are OVERRATED, but at the end of the day it's just a beer. If yo like it, great, so do we. If you only liked us when we were small, then leave this one on the shelf. Let one of the fanyboys grab it.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,221 | Reviews: 184

4.21/5  rDev +2.9%

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

4.5/5  rDev +10%

4.17/5  rDev +2%

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Just picked this up at one of our local "big box" liquor stores, dated Aug. 19 on the can, so it's getting a bit old, but I'm not sure if it's pasteurized or not, I would expect not. As long as it's kept cold I'm alright with it. Poured nicedly, didn't have to be too careful, only to imply it isn't over carbonated. Liked the lighter color, although I prefer the richer amber of the more traditional IPAs. Waited until the beer settled a bit in the nonic before stealing a good quaff which I liked but didn't love. Mouth feel is a bit low. Love the aroma, as others have noted, citrusy and hop-present. Took another big ol' quaff and am watching the lacing mount up on the glass, love that, esp. from a beer in a can. I'm enjoying the finish of the beer which gives the malt a chance to come through, and I would agree with the notes below, this beer is balanced. The hops last well after the last swallow goes down. I love a dry, hoppy beer and this is one I'd buy again. I also like the ABV, good punch for the buck, but I'm breaking my own self-crafted rule here by drinking on an empty stomach, so I'm off to score a bite to eat! Prost!

4.5/5  rDev +10%

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Overrated West Coast IPA from Surly Brewing Company