Overrated West Coast IPA - Surly Brewing Company

Overrated West Coast IPAOverrated West Coast IPA

Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 02-05-2013

It's been said; "Its easier to brew an extremely hoppy beer than an extremely balanced beer." And you know us, we are always looking for the easy way out, so we jumped on the West Coast IPA Bandwagon and brewed this dry and hoppy ale. "Surly's a little bit of a one-trick pony, they just brew gimmick beers," and maybe we are OVERRATED, but at the end of the day it's just a beer. If yo like it, great, so do we. If you only liked us when we were small, then leave this one on the shelf. Let one of the fanyboys grab it.

4.36/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can from exactly one month ago, poured into a Duvel tulip. Thanks Dan!

A: Clear orange body topped by two fingers of dense off-white head. Terrific retention and lots of sticky lacing. Gorgeous IPA.

S: Pungent hoppiness, with a 50/50 mix of sweet tropical fruit and aromatic pine, verging into spruce/fir territory as it warms. Really nice.

T: Floral and fruity up front, with resinous piney bitterness following a brief moment of caramelized malt sweetness. Long, citrusy aftertaste. Complex, more balanced than the can would suggest, and thoroughly delicious. Really drinkable for 7.3%, too. Great.

M: Creamy, fairly light carbonation in a rather oily medium body. A bit stickier than I'd like for the style, but just fine.

O: Wonderful IPA, and if anything I'd say it's currently underrated. Reminded me quite a bit of Ithaca Flower Power, which is a high compliment in my mind. Really glad I got to try this.

Cheers!

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

16oz. can with a somewhat patriotic design. A red, white, and blue (mostly blue) design that has fireworks, stars, fighter planes, and cheering fans at the bottom. It's hard to miss the large bold "Over Rated!" in the middle. The back of the can contains a description of the beer. On the bottom is a born on date of 04/02/13. Happily consumed on May 25, 2013.

When poured into a Cigar City pint glass, this west coast style IPA that was made in Minnesota poured a semi hazy and bright solid golden orange color. I thought I saw a few yellow highlights, but I think that was the gold shining in the light. There's gold in this beer. On top of this golden brew was a fluffy cotton white 1/2 an inch head of foam. This head of foam had modest retention that managed to leave behind a dim string of white rings and a large island of foam in the beer. I'm a fan of gold so I enjoyed the appearance of this beer.

When you say "West Coast Style IPA," I'm expecting a large whiff of bitter citrus hops and citrus fruits. This aroma had those aromas, but they were more on the tame side. The aroma kicked off with the bitter citrus hops. These bitter citrus hops lasted a few seconds before it let through the citrus fruits. My nose didn't pick up on my citrus fruits. I picked up bitter grapefruit, a dab of lemon, and a splash of orange. Following the fruits was a little pine, some floral notes, and a gentle whiff of toasted malt.

The taste started off soft with a tiny amount of pine needles. Then out of nowhere, in comes a huge bitter crispy taste. This big bitter taste had a good mix of citrus hops and floral hops. It was a bit on the interesting side. This hop taste lasts for a while before it lets through anything else. Following the mixed hop punch was a taste of bitter grapefruit, a splash of lemon peel, and a tiny gentle taste of toasted malt. Not much hiding behind the hop punch, but I'm fine with that.

This was a medium bodied West Coast Style IPA that had plenty of carbonation to keep your to tongue entertained, and a mild citrus/floral bitter aftertaste. This aftertaste contained a small amount of the citrus/floral hop bomb from the initial taste, a pinch of bitter grapefruit, and a nice toasted malt taste at the finish line.

A very good West Coast style IPA from the Midwest. I would like to thank fellow BA Lionssoccer for hooking me up with this nice canned IPA. Would I drink it again? I'll never say no to a Surly.

Overrated West Coast IPA from Surly Brewing Company