India Pelican Ale - Pelican Pub & Brewery

17 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 7.5% by volume
Bitterness: 85 IBU
Color: 15 lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of India Pelican Ale Alström Bros

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

I had a friend bring me a Bomber of this. Thanks Dylan!

Serving Type: Glass
A: I struggle with this as I am color blind. Clear out of the bottle
S: Wonderfully citrus and appealing
T: Crisp. Citrus with a perfect amount of hops coming through
M: I was surprised at how light it felt in my mouth, very refreshing.
O: Great beer, I would recommend this to anyone. I cant wait to try some more of their beers.

4.85/5  rDev +18%

Having this one while waiting for my pizza, it cost me 5.50, not bad! Had it once before and loved it!

A- clear pale straw color, pours a good head that stays!

S- everything I love in an IPA! Sweet malt and fruits citrusy hops!

T- f'in amazing. I need to keep it short as I'm waiting for my food! more fruity hops then the malt but its so well balanced and bitterness that stays!

M- good feel, medium

O- wow. This is my fav IPA hands down! Very very bitter but its so good and I love it. PICK IT UP! Cheers

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Edit: Bumps all around, as I picked up what undoubtedly is a fresher bottle. Pungently potent aroma, scorchingly bitter and packed full of fresh hoppy goodness. Finish is sticky, gritty and will punish your ass. Holy mackerel, great beer.

Bomber bottle bought at the brewery, and an interesting contrast to the tap version from the same trip (review of that immediately below this one). Poured into an oversized snifter.

Big 2+ finger white head, bright and creamy. Head lingers nicely. Plentiful lacing is not quite as defined/crackly as the tap version, but still just about perfect. The same bright copperish orange, clear body.

Bouquet is a bit tamer than from the tap, but still plenty of bold pine and earthiness. Seems a bit sweeter, too, with a tad of brown sugar along with toasted malt. A bit of citrus.

Taste is also step down from the draft version, but not as dramatically so as the nose. Nice 1-2 punch of big spicy pine and lighter citrus up front. These give way to substantial earthiness- tastes 'angry'- I like it! Just right level of malt balance. The bottled version seems to be a tad sweeter than the draft. Suffers a bit by comparison, but still damned good, no doubt about it.

Mouthfeel is very different than the tap version. This one is almost 'soft', where the draft was abrasive and scratchy. Still quite good, but surprisingly different.

Overall impression: Not an absolutely perfect IPA like the tap version, but still very good. The difference between the 2 was quite interesting.

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

My wife and I both throught this was the best IPA we had on our trip to Oregon. We had this at the Pelican on a beautiful afternoon at the beach.
Wonderful hazy orange appearance with a decent head. Serving temperature was just right. An exceptional grapefruit smell that matched the wonderful hoppy taste. Hop taste lasts throughout, but also a distinct malteness. I could drink this beer all day. Unfortunately I didn't have any room left to bring some bombers back to Atlanta.

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

A: Pours a light golden color, 2 finger width frothy white head, lots of sticky lace down the glass
S: Citrusy, pretty good sweet malty smell as well
T: Starts out biscuty, pretty sweet actually. Nice hoppy aftertaste, somewhat bitter but not too much. Quite a bit of citrusy tastes in there as well
M: Medium bodied, just about right with the carbonation
D: One of the best IPA's I have had in a while, thats saying something as I just got back from a trip to Portland. This beer rocks.

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

A - Copper in color with good carbonation. A nice foam and good "legs" throughout the taste.

S - Light on the hoppiness with some malt in the smell, not overpowering which is nice.

T - Awesome! Very nice an American IPA. Good hoppiness with a touch of malt, really well balanced without the big alcohol hit that might come with a 7.5% brew.

M - Good feel, not too heavy but just the right amount of what one would expect from a really good American IPA.

O - I am no expert but I really enjoyed this beer and I cannot wait until I can get back out to Portland, OR to get some more Pelican IPA. If you like IPA's you really should try the Pelican IPA. Cheers!

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer strikes me as strange in that the aroma is massively hoppy but the hops are so well concealed in the flavor that I barely notice them despite it being 80 IBUs. Such a smooth drink, very grapefruity but not in a cloying way. One of my very favorite IPAs.

Drank from a 1 pint 6 fluid ounces bottle
Served in a pint glass

Thanks to oregonskibum for including this as an extra in our trade.

A two-finger head of beige colored mousse topped the ever-so-slightly hazed, golden amber liquid. The head deposited a crackly latticework of sticky lacing all down the sides of the glass.

Lots of pungent, citrusy, C-style hops came through in the aroma. Candied orange peel was most apparent. Some tropical fruit notes were also noticeable. A touch floral and honey-like. The hops were balanced by a rich, semi-sweet, caramel maltiness. Brown sugar was detectible as well.

The taste was similar to the nose except perhaps punchier and a bit more complex. Quite hoppy. Citrus and pine notes dominated. Orange peel came through strong. Slightly grassy. Spicy. A sweet, caramel malt backbone complimented the hops perfectly. The malts also had a slightly bready component to them. Hints of brown sugar appeared as the beer warmed. The finish was crisp and off-dry with resonating notes of pine sap.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied. A bit thinner than I was anticipating. Frothy and smooth with a lively, bubbly effervescence.

Drinkability was phenomenal. This IPA is super hoppy and complex, yet appropriately balanced. Furthermore, the 7.5% ABV was remarkably well hidden.

Although the label states that Phil the Pelican "recreated the flavor of the British Empire (in this IPA) with his own American twist" I see no indication of anything British about this beer (except perhaps its moderately balanced nature). For me, that is a good thing. Definitely give this one a shot, if you are fortunate enough to come across it.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

My mother brought me a bottle of this wonderful IPA back from her trip to Oregon. Thanks, Mom!

Man, I love this beer. It's a wonderful bright -- almost glowing -- copper color with a white head that reduces to a thin layer but doesn't vanish. It leaves lovely lacing in my glass.

The smell is all hops: Floral, herbal and citrus hop aromas all mix together. This is the type of beer I associate with the West Coast. The hops used should stir the blood of beer geeks: Cascade, Magnum, Centennial.

The taste is excellent. It's quite bitter with great hop flavors and just enough malt flavors. Balanced? Nope. But who cares? Balance would only hurt this beer.

The body is chewy and bubbly. The carbonation dances over my tongue, leaving a great prickly feeling.

This is Pelican's best beer, and the only one they bottle any more. I can see why. Bottle your star. If you are a hophead, make the effort to try this beer. Pelican's Web site lists the places that sell it. They are few, but worth the trip. Seek ye India Pelican Ale, and ye shall be rewarded.

India Pelican Ale from Pelican Pub & Brewery