1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

India Pelican Ale - Pelican Pub & Brewery

India Pelican AleIndia Pelican Ale

Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

17 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 7.5% by volume
Bitterness: 85 IBU
Color: 15 lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of India Pelican Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 265 | Reviews: 179 | Show All Ratings:
cbrunpc

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

I had a friend bring me a Bomber of this. Thanks Dylan!

Serving Type: Glass
A: I struggle with this as I am color blind. Clear out of the bottle
S: Wonderfully citrus and appealing
T: Crisp. Citrus with a perfect amount of hops coming through
M: I was surprised at how light it felt in my mouth, very refreshing.
O: Great beer, I would recommend this to anyone. I cant wait to try some more of their beers.

01-29-2012 03:21:34 | More by cbrunpc
IPAguy2009

4.85/5  rDev +18%

Having this one while waiting for my pizza, it cost me 5.50, not bad! Had it once before and loved it!

A- clear pale straw color, pours a good head that stays!

S- everything I love in an IPA! Sweet malt and fruits citrusy hops!

T- f'in amazing. I need to keep it short as I'm waiting for my food! more fruity hops then the malt but its so well balanced and bitterness that stays!

M- good feel, medium

O- wow. This is my fav IPA hands down! Very very bitter but its so good and I love it. PICK IT UP! Cheers

01-14-2012 02:00:27 | More by IPAguy2009
doubleipa

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

My wife and I both throught this was the best IPA we had on our trip to Oregon. We had this at the Pelican on a beautiful afternoon at the beach.
Wonderful hazy orange appearance with a decent head. Serving temperature was just right. An exceptional grapefruit smell that matched the wonderful hoppy taste. Hop taste lasts throughout, but also a distinct malteness. I could drink this beer all day. Unfortunately I didn't have any room left to bring some bombers back to Atlanta.

10-24-2005 14:40:37 | More by doubleipa
loren01

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

A: Pours a light golden color, 2 finger width frothy white head, lots of sticky lace down the glass
S: Citrusy, pretty good sweet malty smell as well
T: Starts out biscuty, pretty sweet actually. Nice hoppy aftertaste, somewhat bitter but not too much. Quite a bit of citrusy tastes in there as well
M: Medium bodied, just about right with the carbonation
D: One of the best IPA's I have had in a while, thats saying something as I just got back from a trip to Portland. This beer rocks.

05-23-2007 05:44:04 | More by loren01
PDXHops

South Carolina

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Edit: Bumps all around, as I picked up what undoubtedly is a fresher bottle. Pungently potent aroma, scorchingly bitter and packed full of fresh hoppy goodness. Finish is sticky, gritty and will punish your ass. Holy mackerel, great beer.

Bomber bottle bought at the brewery, and an interesting contrast to the tap version from the same trip (review of that immediately below this one). Poured into an oversized snifter.

Big 2+ finger white head, bright and creamy. Head lingers nicely. Plentiful lacing is not quite as defined/crackly as the tap version, but still just about perfect. The same bright copperish orange, clear body.

Bouquet is a bit tamer than from the tap, but still plenty of bold pine and earthiness. Seems a bit sweeter, too, with a tad of brown sugar along with toasted malt. A bit of citrus.

Taste is also step down from the draft version, but not as dramatically so as the nose. Nice 1-2 punch of big spicy pine and lighter citrus up front. These give way to substantial earthiness- tastes 'angry'- I like it! Just right level of malt balance. The bottled version seems to be a tad sweeter than the draft. Suffers a bit by comparison, but still damned good, no doubt about it.

Mouthfeel is very different than the tap version. This one is almost 'soft', where the draft was abrasive and scratchy. Still quite good, but surprisingly different.

Overall impression: Not an absolutely perfect IPA like the tap version, but still very good. The difference between the 2 was quite interesting.

04-20-2009 03:58:32 | More by PDXHops
Wackyfoot

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer strikes me as strange in that the aroma is massively hoppy but the hops are so well concealed in the flavor that I barely notice them despite it being 80 IBUs. Such a smooth drink, very grapefruity but not in a cloying way. One of my very favorite IPAs.

12-30-2008 02:31:15 | More by Wackyfoot
beerenjoyer1

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

A - Copper in color with good carbonation. A nice foam and good "legs" throughout the taste.

S - Light on the hoppiness with some malt in the smell, not overpowering which is nice.

T - Awesome! Very nice an American IPA. Good hoppiness with a touch of malt, really well balanced without the big alcohol hit that might come with a 7.5% brew.

M - Good feel, not too heavy but just the right amount of what one would expect from a really good American IPA.

O - I am no expert but I really enjoyed this beer and I cannot wait until I can get back out to Portland, OR to get some more Pelican IPA. If you like IPA's you really should try the Pelican IPA. Cheers!

02-29-2012 20:55:57 | More by beerenjoyer1
Shaw

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

My mother brought me a bottle of this wonderful IPA back from her trip to Oregon. Thanks, Mom!

Man, I love this beer. It's a wonderful bright -- almost glowing -- copper color with a white head that reduces to a thin layer but doesn't vanish. It leaves lovely lacing in my glass.

The smell is all hops: Floral, herbal and citrus hop aromas all mix together. This is the type of beer I associate with the West Coast. The hops used should stir the blood of beer geeks: Cascade, Magnum, Centennial.

The taste is excellent. It's quite bitter with great hop flavors and just enough malt flavors. Balanced? Nope. But who cares? Balance would only hurt this beer.

The body is chewy and bubbly. The carbonation dances over my tongue, leaving a great prickly feeling.

This is Pelican's best beer, and the only one they bottle any more. I can see why. Bottle your star. If you are a hophead, make the effort to try this beer. Pelican's Web site lists the places that sell it. They are few, but worth the trip. Seek ye India Pelican Ale, and ye shall be rewarded.

10-09-2006 04:44:04 | More by Shaw
Damian

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Drank from a 1 pint 6 fluid ounces bottle
Served in a pint glass

Thanks to oregonskibum for including this as an extra in our trade.

A two-finger head of beige colored mousse topped the ever-so-slightly hazed, golden amber liquid. The head deposited a crackly latticework of sticky lacing all down the sides of the glass.

Lots of pungent, citrusy, C-style hops came through in the aroma. Candied orange peel was most apparent. Some tropical fruit notes were also noticeable. A touch floral and honey-like. The hops were balanced by a rich, semi-sweet, caramel maltiness. Brown sugar was detectible as well.

The taste was similar to the nose except perhaps punchier and a bit more complex. Quite hoppy. Citrus and pine notes dominated. Orange peel came through strong. Slightly grassy. Spicy. A sweet, caramel malt backbone complimented the hops perfectly. The malts also had a slightly bready component to them. Hints of brown sugar appeared as the beer warmed. The finish was crisp and off-dry with resonating notes of pine sap.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied. A bit thinner than I was anticipating. Frothy and smooth with a lively, bubbly effervescence.

Drinkability was phenomenal. This IPA is super hoppy and complex, yet appropriately balanced. Furthermore, the 7.5% ABV was remarkably well hidden.

Although the label states that Phil the Pelican "recreated the flavor of the British Empire (in this IPA) with his own American twist" I see no indication of anything British about this beer (except perhaps its moderately balanced nature). For me, that is a good thing. Definitely give this one a shot, if you are fortunate enough to come across it.

09-09-2010 12:42:53 | More by Damian
SwillBilly

4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

Big thanks to JohnMichaelsen for picking me up a bottle on his last trip to Oregon. This is a beer I've been wanting to try for long time.

Appearance: Pours light amber to gold with a huge, thick, merengue like off-white head. Crystal clear with streams of carbonted bubbles racing to the surface. Head never seems to fade and sticks around for long while. Thich sheets of lacing line the glass.

Smell: Big, citrusy hop aroma right off the bat with a subtle fruitiness coming through as well. Maybe just of bit of biscuity malt coming through as well.

Taste: Starts with a nice, light, malty sweetness. Fruity with tinges of apricot with a nice citrusy hop bite for good measure. Grapefruit rind and a bit of orange come through with the N.W. hops. Nice and juicy. The finish features more of the hops with nice lingering bitterness on the tongue long after the swallow. Nicely balanced between malty sweetness and hoppy bitterness. Alcohol an afterthought at best.

Mouthfeel: Medium in the mouth, somewhat oily and slick due to the hops. Fairly dry in the finish. Nicely carbonated.

Drinkability/Notes: This might be the best IPA that I've had in a long while. Perfect marriage of malt and hops. Mildly fruity sweet with the distinctive Cascade hop citrusy flavor and aroma with a smooth bitterness. Super drinkable even at 7.5%. You wouldn't know not unless you drank the whole bombers at once :>. If this beer was available in my area it would be a staple in my fridge. Totally makes your forget about the Two Hearted's and other IPA's. If you get a chance, seek this beer out enjoy maybe one of the best and least heralded IPA's in the country. Highly Recommended.

05-15-2008 22:00:53 | More by SwillBilly
Dogbrick

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to cmaruschak for providing me with this superb IPA. Pours a bright bronze/orange color with tiny rising bubbles and a medium white fluffy head. Nice lacing streaks the glass. Big citrusy hops aroma. Medium-bodied with an excellent hops flavor. Citrus and a bit of malt and herb flavors are very well-balanced. The finish retains the flavorful hops throughout. This is probably the best "regular" IPA I have had, beating out even Alesmith and Buckeye Hippie IPA. Excellent!

12-08-2005 14:59:51 | More by Dogbrick
Kegatron

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%

On cask, via hand pump @ the Pelican Pub & Brewery (Pacific City, OR) on 8/30/11. Served in a pint glass. This was a double dry-hopped version.

Pours a hazed gold, with a ½ finger of creamy bright-white head. This retains with quite the smooth looking layer of froth, which just coats the sides of the glass with a big and sticky latticework of lacing. The aroma smells extremely floral, with notes of juicy grapefruit, pine, and spice. This is just so robust, fresh, and flavorful with the hops here in the nose, with an underlying supportive mix of caramel and toast. This all combines to drive a hoppy twang of West Coast awesomeness up the nostrils. This is fantastic!

The taste is just as flavorful, with juicy grapefruit, pine, spice, and zesty rinds flavors, while the hops are being backed by sweeter notes of caramel and bread that takes care of business across the back of the profile. The finish is quite strong but not overbearing, with dry resins, spice, and warm bitterness hanging on the tongue a bit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied but SUPER easy, smooth, and creamy feeling in the mouth. I mean, it is just effortless to drink this, considering the amount of alcohol and off-the-chain hop flavors that are present. This is one of the best cask feels that I’ve experienced with a beer in quite some time.

I had been aching for an awesome West Coast style IPA by this time on our recent Oregon trip and this fit the bill to a tee. I’ve had this in the bottle before and thought that it was pretty darn good that way, but being double dry-hopped and served on cask just took this to another level. I literally could have just sat there and drank pint after pint of this while staring out at Haystack Rock and the Pacific Ocean and called this beer heaven. Fantastic.

Serving type: cask

09-16-2011 14:04:44 | More by Kegatron
bjohnson

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Rebones 11/20/06. Following warriorsoul around again...

A: Pours a dark amber almost copper color with a frothy, and I mean frothy , one finger white head. Excellent retention on this badboy from the PNW with ridiculous lacing.
S: Huge citrus and pine notes fill the nostrils and dominate the senses. Citrus notes outweigh the pine notes by just a tad.
T/M: Big citrus and pine hop notes are the first to bombard the taste buds. Amazing bitterness folows the hop notes and lingers for a damn long time. Not lip smacklingly bitter, but just on the edge. A bit oily from the hop juice with a decent amount of malt to balance out the beer. Interestingly not as dry as I thought it would be from the hop attack aroma. Smooth on the palate even with the hop onslaught. Medium bodied with excellent carbonation.
D: Everytime I have an IPA from the PNW, I feel as though I'm one step closer to moving there. Extremely drinkable IPA, and the best one from that region I've had so far. I'd seek this out in a heart beat. For the hophead only though. Big cheers to Chris for putting this on.

11-21-2006 01:15:00 | More by bjohnson
weiserr

Connecticut

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This one made the journey all the way from Tillamook, Oregon. It landed in my fridge via a commercial airline and ensuing 60-minute convoy by privately owned vehicle. The IPA Hunter stops at nothing to obtain the world's finest India Pale Ales. Special thanks to Sabrina for bringing the plan to fruition.

So, where was I? Ahh...yes. The nuts and bolts. The mascot of this IPA is its pelican, Phil. Phil does nothing to diminish the longstanding reputation of his Pelecanidae brethren, yet instead of carrying babies in his pouch, this water bird delivers an impressive ensemble of hops.

Water vapor condenses on the glass to form patterns resembling fern frost. Density and longevity of the beer head is beyond reproach. Tangerine and Vermilion pair to form one of the most impressive aqueous solutions to date.

Persian limes and Mandarin oranges, complimented by grass tennis lawns and pine forests. Cascade hops create an inviting fragrance that implores the consumer to indulge. Faint spices and bready malt are subdued by the overwhelming scent of citrus.

Acidic taste of "grower's pick," Ruby Red grapefruit and fresh hops. Burnt cloves and lightly buttered toast assert their character, but subtract nothing from the outcome. Honey-like malt is the bridge to a "hoppy" ending. Some IPAs march to the beat of their own hops, but this one waxes poetic in the same vein as Michael McDonald. Whereas, with each sip, I was hearing, "I Keep Forgetting". Whenever I think about branching out to other styles (despite the fact that I have), I still choose to exclusively review the straw that stirs the drink.

The mouth is scorned by the relentless taze of hops. Light to medium bodied; the palate receives exponential pinches from the pelican's beak.

Phil and I recede (go back) like male pattern baldness. We met once, and became instant friends.

Things will never be the same again.

04-26-2008 01:09:02 | More by weiserr
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle:

Pours golden with a rich one-finger creamy head that lasts. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of pine, fruits (mango, pineapple, peaches) and citrus (orange/grapefruit). Huge complex hop aroma. (Label says that it has a Cascade hop aroma - if that's the only hop they used - they certainly worked wonders with it!). Some caramel is there, too.

The taste is citric - very grapefruity - with a hint of pine. There's a touch of caramel sweetness mixing it, though it gives way to a bitter, dry finish. A slight touch of alcohol shows in the finish, though in a non-interfering way (was a bit surprised at actual abv, since it is not listed on the bottle).

It has a smooth/creamy feel in a medium body. Flavor lingers.

It has a huge hop character, but still retains balance (relative to the style). This huge hop character, with a hint of caramel sweetness that draws back to give a lingering citric bitterness works very well! This is highly aromatic and wonderfully delicious!

06-30-2009 21:14:15 | More by jwc215
freed

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

My previous tasting of this beer wasn't that great so I think I may have acquired a bad bottle or had a really off night. I've recently bought a couple more of these from the brewery and I can't be happier with the quality.

The pour is a crisp copper with an excellent bright white cap of foam. As the beer is sipped, it leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

The aroma of just the foam is nice, but once it settles down, the freshness and wholeness of the hop aroma on this is astounding. Primarily generous citrusy smells, you get the sensation you've just broken the glands of a recently cut grapefruit. There's a mild bit of grass/pine on the back end, but the overwhelmingly attractive aroma is quite the lure.

The taste is equally pleasing though not halo wearing. Its got a robust enough malt body that the gamut of hop tastes have a platform on which to stand. There are tart bitters, sweet bitters, citrusy bitters and nearly acrid bitters. Its really a beer you need to be prepared for, but it really is a showcase of hops.

The mouth-feel is something that might require being a hophead to understand. Its all over the taste spectrum but leaves a tart and sour flavor that requires you to drink more.

Though it would be a rare meal that I would pair this with, its delightful on its own. Be careful what you follow it with though. You're likely to be disappointed.

11-29-2004 16:32:43 | More by freed
mjohn27603

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

Purhcased direct from the brewpub and transported back via airplane to Michigan. Pours a dark golden color. Absolutely clear in the glass with no impurities or chill haze whatsoever. Smell is perfect. Aroma is full of citrusy sweet hops smell. Head contrasts well with a very white appearance against the golden colored beer. Taste is a treat. Very sweet citrusy grapefruit flavor without too much bitterness. The sweetness rings off the tongue in a delightful aftertaste. After trying Tsunami Stout on tap vs. this in the bottle I'm convinced this is the star of Pelica Pub. More sips reveal a bit more bitterness. This is nearly a perfect IPA. One of the best beers I've had in a long time.

07-11-2005 04:24:29 | More by mjohn27603
oregone

9/10/10
Double (actually triple) dry hopped version on cask.
A: Uuuuugly. Cloudy funky glass, and not just carbonation (which was perfect). Lots of inert fine sediment giving this some murkiness, but it wasn't gritty in the end, and really, it gave some heads up on what you were getting in to.
S: Hops. And then some. One of the most pure and unabrasive hop aromas. Clean rich, crisp, with some malty sugared notes and yeast hiding in the background.
T: Rockin. Just hops all day, but the serving style takes any edge off and lets you savor. Frickin killer. Pure unadulterated hop bliss without the stinging ramifications.Malts are there, and it does have a chorus line, but thats not the point.
D: Its cask, which never goes down crazy fast for me. But this would be trouble at, what, 8.5 abv? Jeez. Stopped at two because of deadline, but would have been drug out of there later otherwise.

Serving type: cask

11-10-2010 08:30:34 | More by oregone
grittybrews

Washington

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

"10" on the cap in Sharpie; bottled less than a month ago. Poured a brilliantly clear dark copper with two fingers of loose off-white head. Big aroma of floral pine and tangerine/grapefruit citrus.

Moderate carbonation and a creamy, somewhat light mouthfeel. Floral and grapefruit hops up front mixed with orange peel and a gentle caramel biscuit backbone. Long, bitter finish with lots of pine.

Big hops and well-hidden ABV -- the lack of malt heaviness keeps this IPA really easy-drinking. Glad it's finally available in WA.

11-03-2011 04:58:50 | More by grittybrews
RedDiamond

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

In comparison to the bottled version, Pelican’s India Pelican Ale is notably improved on tap. The grapefruit-citrus hops evince clarity and purpose. The aroma dances upwards like a genie from a bottle. And all the accoutrements – the ghostly lace, the slender film of head, the more-than-casual mintiness to the aroma and taste – align in beatific harmony. The body is characteristically clear and 24 carat gold.

Gives new meaning to the phrase “balance of power.”

08-16-2005 23:29:05 | More by RedDiamond
GClarkage

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

11/07/05- Purchased at John's Marketplace in Portland, OR.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with no freshness dating. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Golden/orange pour with a larger creamy white head. Better than average lace abounds.

Smell- Huge and I mean huge fruity cascade hop scents. Grapefruit up the wazzo. Malt is a bit hard to smell through the hops. Awesome scent though.

Taste- Ahhh, the malt does come through in the taste though. Large grapefruit flavored hop hit. Comaparbly to Indica from Lost Coast. Medium toased malt follows through nicely.

Mouthfeel- Semi-creamy with an average carbonation level.

Drinkability- Can see how this won a gold medal. Although, there are others I like better, this one is right up there.

11-08-2005 22:36:46 | More by GClarkage
david131

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

A- An ever so slightly hazy orange beer with a very creamy looking white head that has amazing retention and leaves wonderful lazing.

S- Pine, orange rind, a little floral and a bit or caramel. Very well blended and nice. There isn't a hint of vegetable aroma that a lot of IPA's like this seem to have.

T- Sweet pine and citrus with a nice caramel backing. There is a definite hop bitterness here, but it is not out of control. Not too fruity or vegetably. I'm digging this, although this is pushing Double IPA territory.

M- Dry, oily, smooth, with a nice carbonation level. This does have a considerable bite to it.

D- This tasted like an extremely fresh IPA and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A very well done version of this style of IPA. I wish this was available in Michigan.

05-11-2009 02:11:23 | More by david131
arizcards

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Picked up a bomber at the Brewpub on 8-10-10 for $6.00.
Beer poured a golden orange with a really nice white head that is leaving lacing behind. Nose is very pungent with northwest hops and pale malts. Taste has a decent caramel and pale malt backbone finishing with a nice pine and citrus hop finish. I am struggling with the style as this borders between the double ipa and ipa styles. But in the end there is enough hop finish to support the ipa classification. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with an appropriate carbonation level for the abv. Drinkability is quite good. This is one of the tastier ipas i have had this year. Definitely worthy of a try and is reasonably priced.

08-13-2010 00:59:13 | More by arizcards
BeerAdvocate

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume III, Issue II:

Bright and clear copper color, foams up right to the rim of the glass and crowns the inside with a stunning lace. Big aromatics from the hops; orange rind, ruby red grapefruit, spearmint and light pipe tobacco. A little bready and fruity in the nose, but the hops are obviously dominant here. Smooth and slick on the palate with a medium to full body. Hops slowly drop a hammer of bitterness that oozes of hard citric, tobacco and woodsy flavors. The malt opens up enough to get through the hops for a brief moment to lend some bready and caramel flavors. Alcohol is deceiving until a few sips in, as the slight warmth sets in and the faint tropical fruitiness materializes on the tongue. Bitter finish, but not bitter enough to hinder us from going back (and back again).

This is a big American IPA, a bit of old-school PNW flavor. We splashed the last few drops on us like aftershave, wishing for more--yet we were left with an empty feeling when it was finished, with only memories of such a great beer.

09-10-2010 12:51:22 | More by BeerAdvocate
Beerenauslese

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured in a pint glass to produce a half inch head. Clear gold body with a sudsy head that leaves curtains of lacing on glass.

This has a lovely orange citrus and floral aroma, backed by some malt sweetness.

Tastes of sweet malt, orange and grapefruit rind, balanced by a subtle malt sweetness. Has a dry, bitter, and peppery finish.

Light body and mild carbonation gives this an enjoyably creamy mouthfeel.

A pretty decent IPA, in the Pacific Northwest style, with Cascade and Centennial hops.

06-21-2011 04:58:14 | More by Beerenauslese