Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Wants: 1,460
Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Reviews by jlindros:
4.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Wow, review # 1000! I never imagined I would make it this far. It's been an interesting road, some good beers, some bad drain pours, some surprises. I've learned a lot over the time. But yet, there are so many more to go. So for awesome number 1000, comes one I've been waiting for for a while. As I could not land a Kaggen! this is a good rebound. Thanks to imperialking for this beauty. This is the '09 vintage.

I keep balking at opening it, not quite sure if I want to yet, but I've come this far, and I need an awesome beer for the 1000th, so here. I finally bite my tongue and pop! It pours a very small fizzy but darker colored bubbled head that fades to little pockets of bubbles fairly quickly. The beer itself is super dark, barely any light getting through on the edges, revealing a ruby molasses brown color.

The nose wafted out as soon as it cracked open, with bourbon just pouring out. Lots of great bourbon aromas, some oak, toasty oak, a bit of vanilla coming from that. That rounds off the awesome malt aromas, plenty of dark malts and reddish malts all smashed together in a big heavy nose. Some dark fruits, hints of plum and date/fig, candy aroma like the candy on a candy covered apple, plenty of caramel and vanilla, some light chocolate, light bitter chocolate and creamy, very light hint of booze, and a nice soft aged malt aroma. So heavenly, complex, and just awesome. As it warms the bourbon comes out a bit more, bringing some woody esters with it too. I just hope the taste doesn't let down now.

Taste starts rich and creamy, lots of dark malts, chocolate, very light roast, some reddish malts, creamy smooth malts, rich and luscious, some dark fruits again bringing fig, plum, hint of raisin, and more, which gives a nice chocolate covered raisin and candy flavor. Then again loaded with bourbon flavor, not so much as the nose and as it would be fresh I imagine, but a really nice bourbon flavor. Some light toasted oak and barrel flavor coming with that delicious bourbon. THere is also a light warming booze, and hint of tingly booze as I hold it in my mouth for about a minute. Some aged soft malt flavors come through, like a nice old ale or, sic, barleywine. A light juicy malt bomb, light smooth and creamy oat feel, it has quite a smooth but heavy stout feel as well, almost like a cross between a big stout and barleywine. I get the slightest hint of earthy hops, adding a light bitterness to the nice sweetness and luscious feel. Hints of molasses and caramel, as well as vanilla, round off the complex and awesome flavor. As it finishes, a mouth coating malt flavor just sticks all over, reminding me of the flavor for a few minutes, a very slight tingle from the booze comes and goes quickly. It drinks much smoother than 13.5%. A light chocolate and candy flavor linger, as well as aged malts and dark fruits, the bourbon is mostly gone at this point.

Mouth is full bodied, fairly heavy, luscious, smooth, thick, and a little velvety, with lower but decent enough carbonation for an aged barleywine.

Overall, I'm very impressed. I was glad this was #1000. It definitely lived up to the hype, and maybe more. Lots of delicious soft aged dark malts, chocolate, dark fruits, caramel, vanilla, bourbon, oak, very complex but very tasty. No real off flavors at all, even with all the dark malts there was no minerality quality or burnt flavors. The booze is there but drinks well for 13.5%. Very slight hops there, but not much, which I'm sure is helpful for aging it, and perhaps I should try it fresh sometime. A slow drinker, but I could sip this all day. The one negative at all is the lack of carbonation, but then again almost 2 years old, a heavy slightly syrupy barleywine at 13.5% the lower carbonation doesn't hurt too much.

Yay, 1000 reviews! Release the balloons and confetti, just don't let them fall in my awesome beer. Thanks to all the awesome traders who helped me get here, and more in the future. Can't wait to try more awesome beers, and wish I could just sip beer all day and never have to work, but I gotta pay for the beer somehow. And now I'm enjoying this with a little bit of dark chocolate and it's so transcending, they accent each other so well, I'm in heaven.

4.55/5  rDev +2.2%

More, perhaps, than any other beer I've yet tried, this one manages to walk the fine line between being utterly undrinkable (on account, mostly, of its intense sweetness) and being utterly delicious (on account of its rich, malty flavors). A memorable offering, but if you have it in a bottle, plan on sharing that bottle one or two ways if you can.

4.39/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hell yeah! Thanks to whomever opened this one up at a recent tasting (forgot who brought it). Never thought I'd get to try this one. Pours a deep-ass ruby-red color, appearing jet black underneath dim lighting. The tan head reaches about a quarter-inch, but fades quickly into nothingness. Aroma is dense, heavy, and robust as fuck. Loaded with sweet caramel, toasted brown sugar, molasses, bourbon, oak, wood, light vanilla, and candied dark fruits. There's no mistaking thing brew - it is powerful as all hell, and you'll know it after taking one whiff.

The first flavor to go to work on the palate is a delicate, yet strong display of booze-soaked raisins, dates, and juicy plums, with the booze, of course, being a whiskey-bourbon type blend. Malt bomb, incoming - melted brown sugar, thick syrup and molasses, more juicy dark fruits, and plenty of clashing cocoa and oaky vanilla flavors. This beer is sweet as hell, but never hits the point of being cloying, as it's kept in check by the dense oak and warm bourbon profile, making it insanely drinkable, even at a whopping 14% ABV. Nice, sweet molasses, vanilla, and booze in the finish; thick, syrupy mouth feel with a low level of carbonation.

Hot damn, this was an amazing brew. 2012 vintage. Absolutely delicious and dangerously drinkable given the pretty high ABV. Wonderful display of flavors clashing together with an addicting sweetness than never becomes overbearing. Well done.

4.38/5  rDev -1.6%

'10 aged one year and poured into a Dogfish Head snifter.

A - Pours a clear, mahogany with a short, light tan head that quickly dissipates to some small bubbles at the edge due to light carbonation.

S - The nose is sweet, buttery, bourbon, vanilla/oak, a touch of seaweed, and some booze. It's a 13.5% beer and it reminds you right off the bat. It's an interesting mix that is extremely pleasant.

T - Lots going on here. Sweet figs and caramel on the hose that is followed by bourbon booziness.

M - Full body and mild carbonation

O - A great barleywine, that is a definite sipper at 13.5%. Glad I got to try and that I have one more bottle.

4.34/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #73 (Feb 2013):

While it may be English is style it displays a bit of rebellious Americana with the bourbon barrel aged character. Much mellower than previous years, not saying it is any less flavorful but perhaps a bit easy going on the palate. So many layers, very complex and with each sip comes a new nuance to pick out. Exceptional.

STYLE: American Barleywine
ABV: 14.0%
AVAILABILITY: Limited

LOOK: Dark brown, red glow, minimal lace, has legs

SMELL: Wood, toffee, barrel juice, fusel, figgy, sweet, very aromatic

TASTE: Chewy, creamy, full bodied, toffee, toasted wood, vanilla, boozy, rose water, ripe cherries, christmas pudding, brown sugar, hint of spiciness, woody dryness, roasted cocoa nibs, semi-sweet finish

-----------------

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume III, Issue II:

You can hear the head crackle as the remnant fusel oils lower it quickly, not uncommon depending on the freshness of the barrel from spirit to beer. Mahogany darkness in the glass, good clarity when brought to the light. Big bourbon nose from the first whiff, boozy with charred wood and vanilla. Some caramel and ripe fruitiness in the aroma as well. Semi-syrupy, full body; prickly, moderate carbonation. The taste buds scream of bourbon from the first sip--soon after is the Barleywine alcohol with its fruity esters that tag along with the fusel bourbon character. Sweet maltiness plays off of the note of vanilla. Modest hopping, though the alcohol and wood keep any trait from going cloyingly sweet. The wood flavor actually cuts deeper than we thought, but not to the point of puckering, just at a perfect level. Finishes with some residual sweetness, peppery alcohol and a smack of wood.

Nothing subtle about this beer. If you are going to name a beer "The Perfect Storm," it better live up to it, and Pelican without a doubt came through. Beer geeks, hunt this one down.

4.75/5  rDev +6.7%

4.43/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 vintage. Pours dark brown with little to no head. Aroma is so amazingly strong you can smell it as you pour. Bourbon, molasses,raisons, leather, bourbon, bourbon barrel, bourbon and more bourbon. Flavor is bourbon, caramel, dried fruit, chocolate with just a slight amount of booze. Heavy without being oily. Light/medium carbonation with lingering finish. An absolute perfect barrel aged barley wine that will only improve with age.

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I were watching tv, and she suggested that it was a good occasion for me to "open one of your expensive bottles of beer". Since she's a hophead, I was a little hesitant to open a $20 bottle of The Perfect Storm that we had picked up on our last vacation, but she assured me that I could open whatever I wanted and she'd do her part.

I poured her a small sample in my 2008 GABF glass, and put the rest into my pint glass. That was probably a mistake because this beer deserves your best glass.

My first impression was that I was surprised how well it was carbonated. There was a good hiss when I popped the cap, but then even a few minutes after pouring the beer, there seemed to be a lot of bubbles coming off the beer long after the head had receded.

For the most part, this is a dark beer and there is very little to notice about the color. Every once in a while, however, you'll get a glimpse of a very dark red, sort of a garnet color that lets you know that there is a clarity to the beer that isn't apparent at first glance.

The smell makes you think that this will be a very sweet, if not cloying experience. You definitely get the smell of bourbon, as well as the sweet smells of malty chocolate and vanilla. I suppose the good carbonation makes these smells seem more robust than they otherwise would without so much CO2.

My first sip was not the experience that I expected. It was a lot drier than the smell would make me think. That first sip made me re-think this beer. If it had been an overly sweet, syrupy mess, I would have thought that the smell was a perfect representation of the beer I would be drinking. Instead, this beer is very well attenuated, and the bourbon, malty chocolate and vanilla flavors are present in a much more subdued and delicious experience.

There is another thing about this beer that is worth mentioning. It has a velvety smoothness about it that could easily be masked by the harshness of its alcohol level. The brewer has done a magnificent job of balancing the sweetness with the dryness to give a beer experience that is definitely worth repeating.

This is one of those few beers that I have had that make me question if the other beers I have really loved were really that good. I can see why Pelican has decided to charge $20 per bomber. It is still a great deal, even at that price.

4.63/5  rDev +4%

Bottle courtesy of thirdeye11.

2009 vintage. Pours brown with a very small tan head. Aroma is strong oak and bourbon. The flavor is complex, with vanilla, bourbon, chocolate and roasted malt. Medium mouthfeel and very drinkable. This beer didn't disappoint.

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2012 bottle

A: Pours a dark brown/red color with very little head. Almost looks like wine when the head dissipates.
S: Smells so strong, I could smell it across the room when I opened the bottle! Huge caramel, bourbon, vanilla, oak and brown sugar/molasses aromas. Smells amazing.
T: Just like the smell, this has a ton of caramel, brown sugar, vanilla and bourbon. Raisins and figs are in there too, but brown sugar dominates. There's a slight hint of dulce de leche and chocolate hidden in there. Big sweetness in the beginning but it fades towards the finish as you get the blast of oak and bourbon. A nice bit of burn at the end as well.
M: Very balanced for 14%. Nice and thick bodied with low carbonation. Incredibly smooth and velvety.
O: One of the best barleywines I've had, up there with Leon and King Henry. I will need to revisit Sucaba soon to see where that one stands.

4.23/5  rDev -4.9%

22oz bomber poured into a sampling glass.

Pours a clear brown reddish color with no head except for a small ring of white foam. Nose is a bit hot, slight bit of hops as well.

Taste is really well balanced, a bit sweet and hoppy. The Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with a crisp choppy finish.

4.38/5  rDev -1.6%

I had the opportunity to sit down and drink this exceptional brew with one of the Pelican's brewers. As a deschutes loyalist from Bend, Oregon, I had lowered expectations going in from the beginning (abyss or bust). When the gentleman first explained the process of brewing The Perfect storm, I was very intrigued.
I wanted to see the color first, though. It was absolutely beautiful. Even more so then The Abyss.
This elegant, yet slightly scary beer poured beautifully. Right out of the bottle, Chilled to perfection, I will admit to anyone that the beer was one of the best tasting brews I have ever had. But as time passed, mind you this beer is to be drunken slowly, it began to warm up slightly. and as it happened, i could definitely taste the strong alcohol nodes. This was, other than the price, the beers only turn off.
Given time, I know this beer will mature into something amazing. but for now, it is only exceptional.

Mother Of All Storms from Pelican Pub & Brewery