Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Wants: 1,459
Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I were watching tv, and she suggested that it was a good occasion for me to "open one of your expensive bottles of beer". Since she's a hophead, I was a little hesitant to open a $20 bottle of The Perfect Storm that we had picked up on our last vacation, but she assured me that I could open whatever I wanted and she'd do her part.

I poured her a small sample in my 2008 GABF glass, and put the rest into my pint glass. That was probably a mistake because this beer deserves your best glass.

My first impression was that I was surprised how well it was carbonated. There was a good hiss when I popped the cap, but then even a few minutes after pouring the beer, there seemed to be a lot of bubbles coming off the beer long after the head had receded.

For the most part, this is a dark beer and there is very little to notice about the color. Every once in a while, however, you'll get a glimpse of a very dark red, sort of a garnet color that lets you know that there is a clarity to the beer that isn't apparent at first glance.

The smell makes you think that this will be a very sweet, if not cloying experience. You definitely get the smell of bourbon, as well as the sweet smells of malty chocolate and vanilla. I suppose the good carbonation makes these smells seem more robust than they otherwise would without so much CO2.

My first sip was not the experience that I expected. It was a lot drier than the smell would make me think. That first sip made me re-think this beer. If it had been an overly sweet, syrupy mess, I would have thought that the smell was a perfect representation of the beer I would be drinking. Instead, this beer is very well attenuated, and the bourbon, malty chocolate and vanilla flavors are present in a much more subdued and delicious experience.

There is another thing about this beer that is worth mentioning. It has a velvety smoothness about it that could easily be masked by the harshness of its alcohol level. The brewer has done a magnificent job of balancing the sweetness with the dryness to give a beer experience that is definitely worth repeating.

This is one of those few beers that I have had that make me question if the other beers I have really loved were really that good. I can see why Pelican has decided to charge $20 per bomber. It is still a great deal, even at that price.

Mother Of All Storms from Pelican Pub & Brewery