Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros
Reviews: 427 | Hads: 1,692
4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

22 ounce bottle off to the side during the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party on 3/28/09, reviewed from notes on my cell phone, thanks to vurt for bringing this gem that he formerly bought at a mall kiosk, how awesome of story that is, very cool of you to bring this along Eric and I truly enjoyed this to say the least, he gave me a generous six ounce pour in my Chimay goblet

A-Very dark brown with several bright red highlights, 1 1/4 inch creamy and foamy beige head that lasts the whole time I was drinking it, that is crazy for a beer that spent this long in a barrel, great legs as well
S-Bourbon, vanilla, strong oak, sugar, donuts, white cake mix, charcoal, milk chocolate, some dark cocoa nibs too, espresso, cream, toffee, caramel, toasted bread, various dark fruits, and a hint of syrah wine
T-Starts off with a nice sweet character than was a bit like a dessert wine, lots of caramel malt along with a variety of breads in the middle, big vanilla finish with a lingering bourbon aftertaste, then a bit of coffee and more roasted accents come to the surface, still followed by a sweet and oaky vanilla flavor, later on a bit of cake and milk chocolate tootise roll-like flavors arrive in the finish, each sip was something different and all of that was good, this beer has bourbon characteristics but is not that boozy at all, not even that dry from the wood, its seemed the barrel aging just enhanced the great flavors that were already there, great overall and balanced at all points even if the tastes changed so dramatically often, outstanding flavor
M-Sweet, warm, chewy, and earthy mouthfeel, medium to full bodied, this brew is as rich as they come but you keep wanting more, syrupy texture with moderate carbonation, taste lasts a long time but you still want it to be longer
D-Yeah right this stuff is thirteen and a half percent, it taste more like eight, alcohol is hidden incredibly, this stuff is quite easy to drink and that is saying a lot because it has so much flavor, smooth until the very last sip, insane drinkability

Best barleywine I have ever except for a certain one from Midnight Sun, this beer is outstanding, has everything a barrel aged beer should, talk about an introduction to a brewery, wow, I plan on buying two different vintages of Stormwatcher soon and comparing them to this beautiful BA version, Evan Williams Single Barrel is my favorite whiskey and this certainly made this beer unforgettable, wish this stuff was more attainable but according to several people there was not much of it made and it sold out pretty quickly, one of the top beers of 2009 for me, I want more now, cannot recommend this enough (2,655 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +12%

2010 vintage bomber poured into an oversized snifter on 12/11/10. Striking clarity in the mahogany body. The fluffy tan head is somewhat surprising at this monstrous ABV. It sticks around for a while before receding to a thick skim and a bubbly collar. Streaks and patches of lacing are scattered about.

Smells incredible. Since this stuff aged for a considerable period of time in the barrel, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at how well integrated the bourbon is. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly potent, but not at all out of place when paired up with the massive toffee malt. Oak, vanilla and figgy pudding aromas demand attention as well.

Tastes every bit as great as it smells. You can literally taste the vapors coming off this stuff- crazy. The creamy mouthfeel is the perfect vehicle for the copious amounts of buttery caramel and toffee. The bourbon simmers in the background without ever overwhelming. Vanilla and oak all around. Intense blend of fruits- persimmon, fig, white grapes, raspberry pie and a scathing citrusy bitter undercurrent. Bourbon, brown sugar and raspberry jam linger and linger.

Overall impression: Incredibly good barleywine. I can't imagine how it could get better, but I'm glad I've got a few bottles in the cellar just in case it does. (1,280 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

Thanks goes out to dsgolovin for this brew.

22oz. Bomber
2011 Vintage
Gold Foil/Capped

Poured into a Westy chalice a very nice dark brown color, very nice carbonation, nice fizzy almost one-finger dark tan head, with some little oil slicks left behind. The nose is very nice malty, with some nice sweetness, lots of dark fruits, with a nice little bourbon note. The taste is exceptional, malty, very sweet, with lots of figs, raisins, plums, nice little touch of bourbon, caramel, slight chocolate note, vanilla. Full/Medium body, ABV hidden very well, a true sipper though. This has got to be the best BW I've had to date, definitely the best English BW. Finally I'm getting a chance to try this brew. Really enjoying this one, thanks David! (744 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

[I followed the reports of this release from the "Black Friday Hullaballoo" up to the arrival at one of my favorite bottle shops, and then got a bottle for the Holiday GiftGiving - we opened it up tonight: ]

It pours a deep, rich chocolate-toned color that mahogany only dreams of attaining, but with little time for developing a substantial head... the smells wafting off the top of this invite you in like an unseen siren at the heart of the storm.

The Adjectives: Smooth. Rich. Boozy. Complex. Bourbon. Oak. Overtones of Vanilla Caramelized upon the back of a Great, Dark Malted Beast. (That's the best I can tell you... there is a great deal of complexity here, though it is all subtly woven together.)

Excellent Stuff. (enjoy slowly [edit]) (750 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle.

2011 Release.

Pours a gorgeous rich mahogany color with some gorgeous ruby hints. Nice thin head with a tan to light tan color that is medium dense and recedes to a nice ring around the glass. Gorgeous beer.

Delicious aroma. Strong molasses notes and caramel but most importantly tons of Bourbon. Nice vanilla undertones as well as some nice woody spice. Nice dark fruits including raisin and prunes. Very nice slight chocolate notes are also perceived in the nose.

Wow. This brew is amazing. It is so complex, big and flavorful. Starts off with some nice dark malt notes. Grainy and bready and then followed quickly by intense big and bold sweetness. Caramel and toffee with some nice Bourbon sweetness. VEry dark fruit notes are present. The middle has some nice intense boozy sweetness and more molasses and toffee notes with a nice heat in the back end of the brew. Having had King Henry not too long ago I can safely say that these two are very close in awesomeness. MoAS seems to be a bit more balanced and full bodied. Smooth as hell and very drinkable the ABV isn't too big of a hurdle which is a bit scary. Mouthfeel is awesome. Silky smooth and oily.

Very good brew. Amazing actually nice dark fruit notes with toffee and tons of Bourbon and sweetness that isn't too intense. This is a great brew. (1,359 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a CBS snifter...

A: Pours a very dark tobacco brown with a quarter finger of cream colored head. Traces of lacing down the sides of the glass. I particularly love the dark colors of this brew and the sunburst effect around the edges.

S: Super complex nose with dark fruit, raisin, caramel, vanilla, chocolate, oak char, tobacco, leather, cherry, brown sugar. Thick, rich bourbon barrel notes provide some outstanding character here. It doesn't just hit all of the right notes, it absolutely destroys them. Perfect bouquet.

T: The initial flavors are chocolate and vanilla. As it washes across the mid, the caramel, raisin, and oak notes weigh in. It all comes together with ripe dark fruit, dark tobacco, and a nice little alcohol burn on the back end. I love very bit of this.

M: The mouthfeel and balance on this are top notch. It's amazing how much complexity Pelican has packed into this beer while keeping everything supremely balanced and smooth. Only deficiency is that carbonation seems a little bit high for the style. However, this one is silky smooth and decadent in all the right ways.

O: The absolute standard for the English Barleywine style. A spectacular beer from start to finish, worthy of every accolade it has received. Thank you, Pelican, for this creation. (1,296 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +11.1%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. 2010 vintage. A big thank you to black13 and hopsbreath for bottles of this; been a big want for me for awhile!

(A)- Pours a rather dark burnt sienna color that produced a rather good sized tan colored head despite its ABV. Dissipated to a low layer of froth. Certainly a darker representation of the style, but it does not bother me any.

(S)- A decadent rich profile. Wonderfully sweet and rich caramel/toffee/brown sugar front. Raisin, molasses, cocoa, and a smooth syrupy-like charred oak roastedness that could only have come from the bourbon barrels. Such a dynamic yet delicate and rich aroma that I could smell all day; my description does not do it justice.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A sexy rich profile of raisin and molasses with bits of caramel/toffee/and brown sugar. A blend of cocoa and charred oak. Again, my description fails in comparison to what this is really like.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. It is so smooth yet rich and smooth for a barleywine with only a minimal warmth despite is massive 13.5% ABV.

(D)- This is just a wonderful example of a barleywine despite how fresh it is still. Smooth despite its ABV. My review does not do it justice; rich and dynamic with really the perfect body for the style. I so want to just give this perfect 5s, but this really cannot be too drinkable since it just needs to be sipped and savored to fully appreciate just how good this really is in my opinion. (1,478 characters)

Review #9
2010 Vintage - 22oz - Poured into large snifter. Thanks Verecund.

Shared with my brother.

A - Poured a deep, dark amber with a light tan head that quickly dissipated into a light ring around the glass.

S - Amazing aroma, oak, vanilla, molasses and caramel, hints of bourbon. I pick up further hints of dark fruit and brown sugar.

T - This barleywine is a thing of beauty. Incredibly smooth, all flavors blend perfectly. Sweet caramel, dark fruit, vanilla, flavors match the nose nicely. Very sweet, and fortunately not cloying. If I had drank the whole bottle however, my opinion might change a bit.

M - So smooth and creamy, full bodied with low carbonation.

O - Of all the barleywines that I've had to date, this has been by far my favorite. Hoping to land a few more of the highly regarded barleywines to see how this compares. (852 characters)

Bomber into a BW glass.

Mmmm…..Dark, dark, dark. Ruby red when held directly to the light with tan head.

Oak! Bourbon!!! Earthy/woody. Sweet sugary prunes, toasted vanilla. No alcohol present, like none! Dark cherry as it warms.

Bourbon! Toasted malt and dark candied fruit. The sweet malt is balanced perfectly by the bourbon-barrel. Really rich in flavor!!

Warm. Medium-bodied. Borderline on full, but not syrupy.

AGE IT!! Sooo good now, but resist the temptation if you can. A lot of potential here for one of the top BW’s of all time. Very pleasurable. Just a joy to sip on.

If you’re into bourbon (we’ve been doing shots of Maker’s Mark lately) you have to get your hands on this, whatever the cost in trade or dollars. (743 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%

Received this brew from the MEGA generous Cedromar. This guy made me look retarded with the amazing box he sent. I've had a few different brews from Pelican from back in the day and they were tasty. Super excited to try this one. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip while watching the National Championship (Texas vs. Alabama).

Vintage 2009

Appearance- Pours a dark brownish ruby with a decent one finger sand colored head. After a few minutes the head dissipates leaving a decent collar and no lacing
Smell- This baby is just oozing with big boozy bourbon and oak. Smells very candy like with tons of toffee and peanut brittle. The bourbon is very pronounced and the woody goodness really shines. Loads of vanilla and red licorice along with some darker fruits (raisins and dates maybe). Whiffs of milk chocolate that mix with the toffee for a Milky Way type of smell. Awesome nose.
Taste- Starts slightly sweet with a big rush of lightly tannic woody goodness. The caramel and toffee are off the charts as they are malty and boldly aggressive. Tons of whiskey as it's lightly warming but mixed with the oak and malt it's merely an afterthought. Vanilla is abundant as well and mixed with the somewhat Tootsie Roll aspect this beer is everything I was hoping for. The finish is warming with a sort of light bitter char and a touch of red licorice.
Mouthfeel- Despite the barrel aging and high alcohol of the beer it still maintains a nice full body. It's somewhat creamy and very rich with a slight bit of warming.
Drinkability- This is just a solid f'n beer. SO much bourbon and wood. I'd say this is the biggest, tastiest barrel aged beer that I've had since Wooden Hell. It doesn't quite have the oak that WH had and it's a tad warmer but I think it may be slightly less sweet. In a year or two this thing is going to come together nicely and be absolutely amazing-er. Thanks much Tyler you generous son-of-a-gun! (1,920 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours an absolutely stunning deep red color that looks black in low light. Honestly one of the best colors I have seen for a beer...just menacing. Not too much head formed in my tulip, but a persistent and thick collar did form and stick around.

The smell is a sweet and inviting mix of dark fruits and wood, with surprisingly mellow bourbon. This didn't really seem too potent at first, but with every swirl of the glass came wave after wave of wonderful vanilla, toffee, and plums. Absolutely fantastic.

Holy cow....the taste is far more potent that I had imagined it would be based on the nose. And wow this is rich and decadent. Honestly, I'm sitting here and I'm trying to come up with words to describe it and all that is running through my head is WOW JESUS HOLY SHIT THIS IS WOW I CAN'T BELIVE IT HOLY SHIT. Eloquent, I know...

....but anyway, back to the beer at hand. This is utterly superb. Rich and luscious chocolate and toffee take center stage, with the bourbon and other barrel notes providing a punch that magnifies everything that is great about this beer and hides anything that could potentially be subpar. And it hides it well, because this is flawless. You know those Hershey's Skor bars? Not the most popular candy bar in the world, but one of my favorites. Dip that bar in a bath of bourbon and you have just created The Perfect Storm.

The mouthfeel on this is full and creamy and perfect. Plenty of carbonation to splash the flavors throughout the mouth, but enough heaviness that it also marinates on the tongue for an extended period after swallowing.

Drinkability is almost an afterthought with this beer. It is hugely alcoholic, so you would be crazy to want more than a bomber at a time. But that is irrelevant in my opinion, because this beer is not designed for mass consumption. It is one of the best dessert beers I have ever had, and is already one of the most memorable beers I have ever had and I'm not even done with the bomber yet. That to me is what drinkability is all about.

I really wanted to give this beer straight 5's....the only reason I docked any points was because of the weak head. Is that fair? I don't know. Everything else about the look was fantastic...but I'm just trying to be consistent with my other reviews. When I crack another one of these in the future, I will see if I still feel the same way about it as I do right now. Because right now this is on an extremely short list of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Get it now! (2,496 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +10.4%

BA barley wines typically aren't my favorite style and after all the hype, I was really curious to see how it would hold up.

This was poured into a small snifter and the dark brown/ruby brew sat heavy with a light layer of cream colored bubbles around the edges. They dissipated quickly but small carbonation bubbles continued to rise and agitate the surface. The color was very nice but it was the aroma that let me know I was in for something special. Immediately a wave of warm bourbon and vanilla hit me followed by a light sweetness and touch of alcohol. This easily could be out of balance but to me each component mixed so delicately with one another where the combination added up to something impossibly better than the individual scents. Honestly, if they were able to create an air freshener that matched this aroma, I don't think I could ever leave my house.

If even possible, the taste was better than the aroma. Initially there's a bit of sweetness that quickly fades as the complexity sinks in. Yes, there's a lot of bourbon and vanilla and toffee, but the longer it sits in on your tongue, the more the flavors change. Whereas Wooden Hell is velvet like and overall exceptional, it seems a bit one-dimensional to me compared to the Perfect Storm. Both have outstanding bourbon flavors with a great malt backbone, but TPS just seems to have a complexity in the base beer that is so well balance that it makes sipping on it for a long time extremely enjoyable.

This easily is one of the best beers I've ever had and being the rich, intensely flavorful beer that it is, it's definitely a sipper. That being said, the light carbonation keeps it playful and the smoothness made me crave sip after sip. I went into this thinking that it would be pretty good but would most likely not live up to the hype, and I was absolutely wrong. It's exceptional and I only wish I had more. (1,891 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +10.4%

Ordered a case to split with a BA friend, so I figured I would see if my purchase was worth the cost.

A: Dark brownish plum color with a small head. Head retention seems ok, but could be a little better.
S: Perfection! Heavy vanilla and oak, with slight english yeast in the back. Heavy malt (caramel and roast). Still a bit of ethanol and a bit of tobacco
T: Bourbon and malt, in perfect balance. Sweet malts and rich roast.
M: Smooth, sweet, and medium-full bodied. Low carbonation and high alcohol.
D: This beer is still a bit hot. In a year or two, it would be perfect. I still loved this brew and wish I had 2 cases (if only I could afford that). I think this is a pretty even match to Flossmoor Wooden Hell. (717 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +10.4%

Brand new 2009 bomber, poured in a big wine glass at 54F, rising to 60F over the lengthy course of this review.

Beautiful color, a deep translucent red-brown. Initially, a ring of creamy yellow froth around the edge of the glass leaves some thick rings of lace, then dissipates entirely and the color of the liquid is unobscured, a rich gold at the edges.

Great big complex aroma. Toasty woodsy bourbony bourbon barrel, with deep complex spicy herbacious tobacco a bit like a good cigar crossed with sweet red vermouth, and sweet heady booze, a bit of bubblegum, mild vanilla, mild fennel, a hint of ripe dark fruit, and some earthiness. The bourbon barrel is well integrated with the malt; they belong together, the aroma is cohesive. Great depth and complexity, along with bright freshness, and the aroma blossoms and evolves continuously as the beer breathes and warms.

The flavor is like the aroma, but somehow even deeper, more complex, more intense. Sweet dark caramel and booze are perfectly balanced by deep, deep, DEEP tobacco/barrel/spice/earth. This is almost like a great bourbon or barrel aged rum, only far less alcoholic, and more intensely flavorful in all respects apart from the alcohol. Long long complex tasty finish, becoming dry.

The texture is exceptionally silky, with just enough restrained, ultrafine carbonation to add cushiness and avert any undue heaviness.

Perfect balance makes this very easy to drink.

Outstanding. (1,452 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +10.4%

22 oz. bottle purchased at Pelican on release day.

A - Dark brown with seductive reddish hues... little to no head. Coats glass when swirled.

S - Nice nose with promise of dark fruits, bourbon, oak .

T - Bourbon, coconut, marshmallow, vanilla, dark fruits...just luscious

M - chewy, coating viscous mouthfeel...

D - contemplative sipper...just the way I like them.

This is an exceptional beer. (399 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +10.2%

2011 vintages poured into a cognac snifter.

A: Pours a nice dark brown with a little tan head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving a little lacing. Decent for the style but certainly not the best head I've seen.

S: Smells lovely. Nice caramel and bourbon up front with some brown sugar, figs, and vanilla character.

T: The smell was lovely and the taste didn't let me down. I am getting the bourbon and caramel that I noted in the aroma, along with some vanilla. The background has some brown sugar and dark fruit. Really well put together.

M: This is a nice hefty barleywine with pretty light carbonation, but well within the range I expect for the style. There is just the slightest hint of booze going down.

O: I really like this beer, probably my favorite barleywine. I usually like my barleywines a bit hoppier, but this was my favorite (so far anyway). I will do my best to age a few. (897 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10%

22 oz bottle poured into Redwood Curtain snifter. 2012 edition.

Appearance- dark with hues of red in the light. Tan head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing. Light carbonation.

Smell- smells of bourbon, vanilla, oak, and a bit of toffee. Getting a big bourbon note as expected.

Taste- wow! This is the most complex beer I have had to date. Picking up on all of the nose plus some dark fruit, cherries, and big brown sugar. Alcohol is warming but not too apparent for a beer of this magnitude.

Mouthfeel- medium to heavy body. Low carbonation, but just right for this style.nice warming alcohol but not too hot. Just right for the style.

Overall- impressed is an understatement. This blew me away! This was my white whale and was finally able to secure a bottle. Glad to enjoy this very special beer and highly recommend it. (835 characters)

First had: bottle from Beaumont Market, Portland, OR

Review for 2011 vintage.

Shared with the wife in the comfort of our home, this one was decanted into a Klokke Roeland globe for myself (a Cascade stem glass for her). Deep and dark, yet still eerily translucent, dark brown color mixed with a glistening bloody maroon, topped with a rocky beige head that retained for a surprisingly long time, and left some soapy lacing on the glass. Complex and tantalizing aroma of dark malty sugars, molasses, juicy dark fruits, and chocolate-covered cherries. Rarely do I give "5" ratings for taste, but I can't really bring myself to rate this beer anything less. Caramel, toffee, thick malts, molasses and milk chocolate up front, a segue of almonds leading to a mid-palate cascade of raisins, figs, black cherries, sherry, brandy, red grapes, and finishing off with flavors of cigar-grade tobacco, vanilla-tinged, wood-soaked bourbon, and a deep-seated earthiness. If that weren't enough, the mouthfeel was intensely creamy and velvety smooth, full-bodied, almost too drinkable, though pretty hot from the alcohol, but you have to expect that from a beer like this. I have a few more bottles of this that I'm going to let age for a while. I'm sure they'll prove to be interesting in a few years. (1,290 characters)

*First release: Nov. 2008*

I had this beer at the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party on March 28th thanks fellow BA "vurt" for sharing such an incredible beer.

Ok, so let me start by saying that I'm not a huge fan of barleywines (although I do enjoy the English style) but this beer really blew me away. One of the best beers I've had in a while.

Poured a brown sugar color with minimal head but the color looks nice in the glass.

The smell was outstanding, bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, toasted malts, fruitiness, raisins, figs, more toast, boozy in the background, toasted oak, and tootsie rolls (chocolate and caramel).

My first reaction was "wow!" Sweet bourbon flavors upfront, sweet dark fruits, cherries, oak, brown sugar, vanilla, toasted coconut, and tootsie roll candy. More chocolate opens up and caramel candy, alcohol in the finish with some fruity esters. Medium high carbonation, very soft, sliky and drinkable.

What a great beer! (948 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +9.8%

2010 bottle courtesy of the extremely generous Beerzebub. I have had this beer several times in several vintages, all outstanding, but this is the first bottle that I've owned. The brew pours a deep mahogany hue and is capped with a short-lived tan froth that recedes to an encircling wisp. Both the flavor and aroma are just delicious; they are fully redolent of buttery vanilla notes, sweet oak, almond, caramel-toffee, brown rice syrup, toasted coconut, molasses and a hint of fudge. The feel is creamy, smooth, and softly effervescent. Overall, it may get better with age, but it is drinking absolutely fantastic by any measure right now. (642 characters)

Shared courtesy of mykie73, thanks dude

L) Pours with little head, tiny bubbles around the glass which show the light carbonation. Brown to amber almost transparent. Looks yummy

S) huge toffee notes, bourbon, syrup, oak. Smells yummy.

T) light sweetness, bourbon and oak like the smell a little hot but still awesome. Tastes yummy.

M) Perfect, the light carbonation does wonders not to thick not to thin. A somewhat dry finish. Yummy again

D) Perfect again, it is strong but it is a barrel aged barleywine. I could sip this all night long.

A overall great beer that should be seeked out by any barleywine lover. (618 characters)

Thanks Shane.

Pours a glowing, translucent brown with some ruddy, ruby-esque highlights. A small light tan head of maybe a half an inch to an inch, surprising considering the brew's abv. Very attractive.

Smells glorious. Absolutely splendiferous. Rich warming bourbon, supple caramel, a bit of coconut and vanilla, some .. wood? ... notes brown sugar and candied cake, along with toffee and roasted marshmallows. Really sublime, with two dozen things going on at once. Maybe even a hint of dark fruit.

Tastes very good. A really great melding of strong boubon flavors with a complex backing. The bourbon comes through more strongly in the flavor than the aroma. The coconut, vanilla and ... dark chocolate ...? take more of a center stage along with the luscious bourbon, and the brown sugar, toffee, and caramel provide a delicious sweet backbone. The barrel also give a slight woodsy/earthy flavor to it. I do wish that it had a touch less bourbon, but it's a small complaint considering all that was going on.

Chewy, thick mouthfeel. Quite an achievement. Considering the ABV, very drinkable. (1,101 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No carb,
less barb,
nor too sweet,
or discrete.

Nose that grows,
and goes and goes:
Sherry, butterscotch, oak,
Prunes, macaroons, and smoke.

Smooth as silk.
Pleasant, sweet ilk.
Mellowed current, un-fold!
Bright and bold, all told.

Lasting, lengthy, lush.
Sank with nary a hush. (282 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
13.5% ABV, 2012 vintage. Bottled 110512

Thanks to KAlvarez for doing the legwork on this one!

A - Perfectly clear ruby mahogany in color with a fast-forming tan head, it's thick but there's almost no retention, due to the high alcohol level, and no lacing left on the glass. Give this beer a swirl and you'll see legs slowly dribble down, though.

S - Rich molasses and toasted pumpernickel bread arise with a rich and smooth warm alcohol bourbon barrel aroma that adds light oak and vanilla. This is aged to perfection without being hot. A plethora of fruity notes enter as well; raisin, fig newton, and chocolate covered dark cherry.

T - Maltiness overwhelms with a punch of sweet caramel and dry toasted bread following behind. Notes of milk chocolate emerge with grace as the attention shifts towards the smooth barrel-aging. Oak and vanilla pull from the aroma to flavor easily and are flanked by warming bourbon while the beer finishes with the aroma's fruity notes.

M - Gentle carbonation caresses the tongue, keeping the beer from syrupiness because it's one full bodied barleywine. Smooth on the palate, the feel is robust and sweet but nicely balanced by alcohol heat and dryness on the finish as this beer lingers for quite a while, slowly turning lightly bitter and gritty.

O - Mother of all Storms is a quintessential barrel-aged barleywine, showcasing exceptional malt flavor and layers of complexity with bready notes, chocolate nuances, and bourbon wamth. Sip gingerly, soaking in the uniqueness and depth of this one-of-a-kind beer, and share with others, for it's a heavy hitter begging to be split and savored. (1,671 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

22 oz. bottle purchased at the seriously convenient Pelican Brewing kiosk at the Washington Square mall in Portland, OR. (Possibly the most useful mall kiosk I have ever seen.) Enjoyed in a Piraat snifter.

Appearance:
This brew is a gorgeous deep red-amber, perfectly clear with burnt orange highlights. The heavy, sticky head is a lighter version of the color of a manila envelope. The beer looks a bit viscous when you swirl it around. It coats the glass and leaves behind grainy sheets of lacing. Excellent color and texture for the style.

Smell:
A sticky toffee pudding with vanilla bourbon sauce. Plenty of sweet bready and malty aromas, with caramel and buttery toffee on top. Prominent bourbon and vanilla notes blend gracefully with the malt, adding dimension without grabbing the spotlight. The finish brings to mind almonds and dark brown sugar. There is also a significant alcohol component, as you would expect from a young beer of almost 14% ABV.

Taste:
Starts off with strong toasted malt and butterscotch flavors. A slight saltiness makes me think of sea salt caramels. There is also vanilla and significant bourbon and oak. The bourbon character increases as the beer warms, but never threatens to overwhelm the beer's other flavors. The middle is full of raisin and quince flavors, concentrated and lush. Some hop bitterness comes through at the very end, but it is an accent rather than a dominant component. This is definitely an English-style barley wine.

Mouthfeel:
Full-bodied, mouth-coating, and magnificently smooth. Carbonation is soft and discreet, adding just enough bite on the palate to prevent this beer from being shapeless and cloying. Alcohol is clearly present and provides warmth, but is very nicely integrated and not the least bit harsh.

Drinkability:
The Perfect Storm is smooth, sweet, velvety, and astonishingly drinkable. The balance between toasted malt, toffee, raisin, and bourbon is almost miraculous. I am glad to have a couple more bottles put aside to age, though I'm not quite sure how much better it could get. (I suppose it could dry out a bit, and maybe lose a bit of alcohol heat.) Right now, The Perfect Storm is beautiful to look at, wonderful to smell, and an absolute pleasure to drink. Magnificent.

May 22, '09 edit: I have no bottles left at this point. If you're trying to find some, I think it's well worth the effort to keep looking. (2,401 characters)

Mother Of All Storms from Pelican Pub & Brewery