Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Wants: 1,462
Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros

2.48/5  rDev -44.3%

2.5/5  rDev -43.8%

2.5/5  rDev -43.8%

2.65/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Re-review of 2011 vintage shared by mfielden. Thanks, Mark.

S: This is very oxidized, more than previous vintages have been. It has substantial cardboard and a general aroma of "nothingness," as if the beer is over-mellowed.

T: I taste the bourbon, a bland sweetness, and cardboard. Yech. This is not a strong showing of a beer. It is one-dimensional and simple. To my credit, nearly everyone else at the tasting felt the same way. Finally! Validation!

O: As noted in my comments below, I haven't been a fan of this beer from the 2009 vintage onward. But this one was especially off. I like barrel-aged barleywines, but something about this beer doesn't click with me. I turned down an offer from ramnuts to get the 2011s for me, and I'll do the same in the future. It's just not my beer. More for others...

~~~

2009 vintage. A big thanks to Frank (ramnuts) for trucking these down to my house!

A: Pours a very dark honey / amber body in the glass. Develops a decent light beige head with the pour; retention is decent for a barleywine of this ABV. Some lacing down the glass as I sip, but nothing that sticks.

S: This beer REALLY needs to warm up. It produces aromas of bourbon, toffee, caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, wood, toasted pecans, and some booze.

T: Like the nose, the beer is best when warm. Toasted pecans, bourbon, and toffee up front. The malts continue into a blend of caramel, and butterscotch, but they also develop rummy dark fruit flavors. Vanilla and chocolate are lightly present. It's surprisingly tannic in the finish, but that doesn't offset the molasses bomb that this beer is turning into. Each time I've had it, it has tasted sweeter and sweeter.

M: Medium bodied, with low carbonation (very creamy). It used to be somewhat hot in the finish, but after about a year it has cooled off. The tannins have been more pronounced each time I've had this beer, and they create an astringency that is distracting.

D: I hate to blaspheme, but I'm not blown away by this beer. I think it's solid but no more. I've had it a handful of times since it came out last year, and each time I am less and less taken with it.

2.75/5  rDev -38.2%

2.75/5  rDev -38.2%

2.85/5  rDev -36%

Incredibly disappointed in this one. I reviewed batch #2, perhaps batch #1 was much better.

Appearance: Decent enough, rich, deep mahogany brown with a big head.

Smell: Booze (not really bourbon), oak (more like oak chips in a cheap chardonnay), vanilla, toffee, caramel, and chocolate.

Taste: Train wreck of the flavors mentioned above. Booze intersecting with too much oak and brandy, along with chocolate, toffee, raisins, prunes, butterscotch, caramel, and vanilla. WAY to sweet.

Mouthfeel: medium-to full body, a bit to sticky sweet. Booze is way too hot.

Drinkability: Boozy mess (didn't notice bourbon), too sweet and too much oak. I don't get what I am missing that makes others like this one so.

2.88/5  rDev -35.3%

A collaboration of efforts to buy a case of these. Bottle shared by petsuphi with cmurren25 and it went a little something like this...

A- A very surprising dark charcoal black color similar to some fine stouts instead of the familiar brownish colors of most barleywines. A nice amount of carb that dissipated an off-white/tannish head into a tiny thin strip of it's former self. A quite odd looking beer in my honest opinion.

S- A pungent smell greets me like a filthy old diaper. Did not pick up the normal smells, but some burnt oak/wood, some touches of bottom shelf bourbon and stale vanilla. It was very undesirable, seriously wanted to pick up more aromas, but they just weren't there at all. Completely let down.

T- I will say the taste does not match the smell at all. Has a pleasant opening of smoked oak/wood with a nice earthiness in the beginning. As it warms though more of the off putting characteristics come back to torture me. Stale vanilla, your grandmother's stale werther's original caramel candies from 1981 and some malty sweetness that is almost not sweet enough. Son of a bitch why did I buy a few of these?

M- Full bodied and thick. From appearance the carb was anticipated, but is really not there no tingle or prickle. A nice warming presence along with coating and a syrupy character. It's semi-viscous, but doesn't stick around like others I've had. A little underwhelmed to be honest.

D- Not really, I had to suffer through too much with this one to ever come back to it. I would think about it, but would probably pass on this one. It's high abv, nasty smell and unpleasant taste kill this one for me. I'm sure a lot of people will like it I'm just not one of them. I would reconsider after putting myself through that one twice.

I have had 2 vintages of this beer and they both were let downs. There are definitely better barrel aged barleywines around. Anyone want one in trade?

2009 -The Perfect Storm
A: Poured a deep brown with good carbonation.

S: Nose is bourbon, booze and vanilla.

T: Taste is off because I thought it was poorly carbonated. I did find notes of bourbon, toasted grains, caramel, toffee, dark fruits and booze. This beer was all over the place. Not a subtle barleywine and I have had many barrel aged bwines which were capabale of pulling flavors together much better.

M: Mouthfeel is hot and bourbon but mainly because I did not find much on mouthfeel to help balance it out. There is a sherry like quality to it

O: I struggled and wanted to give it an A but no dice
///
2011-Mother of All Storms ampled 1/8/2012 and 12/1/2012

A: Poured a medium brown with a nice tan cap and some bubbles

S: I get a unique cotton candy nose on this with toffee, brown sugar, bourbon and booze

T: Immediate atringency with brown sugar and toffee, a little bit of residual sugar, bourbon midway with some pungent heat. I managed to pick up some light leather, vanilla and cocoa

M: Medium body but I still feel this beer was carbonated a bit high for the style, seemed a bit thin on the back end, perhaps due to the heat. Booze and a syrupy sweetness on the back end and an odd twang to boot I can best describe as liquid dirt.

O: Originally I gave this a cut above average. I c have changed my mind. After afting the first runs, vintages and fresh I still believe this beer is thin, hot and off balanced. The tannins on this beer just a killer for me. In no way is this a true to style English Bwine and I feel by taste, experience and BJCP standards this is a poor showing.

3.25/5  rDev -27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy Joel. Pours a gorgeous shimmering copper color with a fading beige head. Aroma is sharp bourbon, lots of heat here, charred oak, vanilla. This is more bourbony than any barrel-aged beer I've had. Over the top. Flavor is caramel and bourbon, vanilla, leather, and wood. I don't know if I'm drinking beer or if a plane dropped a barrel on my face. Needs a lot of age to gain a modicum of drinkability. Also rather thin from the spirit influence.

3.28/5  rDev -26.3%

Thanks to Foofaa for sharing this bottle at the Brass Rail last night.

A: The barleywine is a coffee look-alike, dark and brown and opaque. The depth of color makes me think of a stout. Surprisingly, at least to me, there is really no head whatsoever. All that remains, from first pour to last sip, is a miniscule off-white band.

S: The nose has plenty of toffee to go around. The malts are unmistakable, thick and rich. I'd even posit that molasses is sitting there. There really isn't any indication of a barrel.

T: The barleywine is very hot, leaving a burning sensation with each sip. The booze can't hide amongst the excessive malts. Those malts have toffee and molasses, paired with some chocolate, and are heavily roasted. Very thick, I feel like I should be chewing what is in my glass. As in the nose, there really isn't anything that screams barrel, or even barrel-blended.

M: Beware the heat, this baby isn't afraid to drop the booze on you. The maltiness is blindingly thick, drowning out any barrel and any real enjoyment.

D: Number 10 (as of right now)? Really? Give me JW Lee's Harvest Ale or Gratitude any time of this. Too messy, I just can't get into it.

3.28/5  rDev -26.3%

Bottle brought down by Joel from the pub. Super dark red color with a small beige head. The aroma has a lot of bourbon influence and barrel character, like this spent some quality time on wood. Dark burnt sugars, charred oak, burnt vanilla, caramel, alcohol and old wood. The flavor is very hot with lots of bourbon, dark caramel, bunt fruit and charred wood. The finish is almost pure alcohol and very rich. The mouthfeel is very hot and alcoholic, full, and has a modest amount of prickly carbonation. A very big beer that is not very smooth at this point and could use a lot of time to mellow out. Dark and burnt for a barleywine. They really went for it with maximum barrel extraction, but it looks like its going to take a lot of time to really mellow back out.

Mother Of All Storms from Pelican Pub & Brewery