Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Wants: 1,415
Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros
gford217

Georgia

4.78/5  rDev +7.2%

22oz bomber, 2009 vintage, poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep, clear copper with a short-lived cap of big bubbles that recedes to a small collar and leaves very little lacing, though there are boozy legs down the glass after each sip.

The aroma is massive and has plenty of bourbon sweetness and alcohol burn in the nose which mixes well with the sugary caramel malt and dark fruit in the nose.

The underlying caramel malts are the first thing I notice with some toffee and dark fruits. There is definitely plenty of bourbon especially in the finish where there is a noticeable burn in the throat. Overall, it's like a caramel and chocolate dessert with raisins and plums soaked in bourbon.

The mouthfeel is stunning, one of the best I've ever felt, like velvet. It's smooth with ample, but soft, carbonation and slightly dry and woody in the finish with a sweet bourbon presence on the palate as well.

I wasn't sure what to expect on this one. I saw everyone raving about it but just figured it wouldn't live up to the hype. Well, it lives up to the hype. It's a wonderful beer that drinks fairly easily for the high ABV. The bourbon is strong right now and I think this one becomes even better with time. Superb.

11-08-2009 02:30:15 | More by gford217
vfgccp

4.23/5  rDev -5.2%

2011 bottle

A - Low white head with poor retention and lace. Nice dark caramel body.

S - Sweet plum, brown sugar, cocoa, thick molasses, and a hint of white booze.

T - Booze warms a smooth profile of vanilla, black cherries, prunes, and brown sugar. Light oak on the backside. Stellar integration.

M - Super smooth, medium - full body.

O - Amazing right off the shelf without any time in the cellar at all.

06-09-2012 19:32:54 | More by vfgccp
iL0VEbeer

01-01-2013 20:32:41 | More by iL0VEbeer
illidurit

3.25/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy Joel. Pours a gorgeous shimmering copper color with a fading beige head. Aroma is sharp bourbon, lots of heat here, charred oak, vanilla. This is more bourbony than any barrel-aged beer I've had. Over the top. Flavor is caramel and bourbon, vanilla, leather, and wood. I don't know if I'm drinking beer or if a plane dropped a barrel on my face. Needs a lot of age to gain a modicum of drinkability. Also rather thin from the spirit influence.

12-07-2009 03:27:44 | More by illidurit
Cynic-ale

09-07-2013 22:50:13 | More by Cynic-ale
champ103

11-14-2011 09:24:07 | More by champ103
francisweizen

Alaska

In Oregon.

Struck by a nectar dark and ruby red.

Little head, but better can be said.

Delicous aromas of alcohol and bread.

In the mouth nothing can be said.

I'd like to drink more of this before that I am dead.

Thanks be to my Oregon friend Fred.

02-14-2010 04:31:47 | More by francisweizen
bsuedekum

Missouri

01-09-2013 04:44:08 | More by bsuedekum
Duff27

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%

A- Small dark brown head on a dark brown beer. Light penetrates the edges. No head retention or lacing.

S- Nose is all bourbon barrel, woo!

T- Sticky caramel sweetness. Bourbon heat is there and well tolerable. No way this is 13.5%abv, alcohol is *very* well hidden.

M- Full, smooth mouthfeel. Carbonation comes in on the end of each sip.

D/O- One of the best beers I've had in the last few months. Insanely drinkable given the ABV. Pleasure to try. What a nice surprise on a Tuesday night, thanks TATURBO!!!

12-07-2011 04:11:40 | More by Duff27
Gobzilla

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

22oz bomber shared at woodshop 5.1

Poured a dark brown with mahogany highlights with a thin head that left good sticky lacing on the glass. Big caramel aromas up front with a good amount of bourbon that also had vanilla accents and slight oakiness. The flavor was big on the caramel as well with vanilla accents and large bourbon notes busting through that made the taste a little heavier alongside slight oak and raisins. The beer was full bodied with a low amount of carbonation that had a swet silky boozy finish. Very good barleywine and was very happy to try out at least once. The drinkability was pretty good considering the ABV on the brew.

06-30-2010 18:20:31 | More by Gobzilla
popery

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

01-27-2013 02:04:38 | More by popery
DmanGTR

4.99/5  rDev +11.9%

Re-review on 1/18/14

Thanks to Joe for breaking this out!

A huge barleywine. Wonderful chestnut hues with off white streaks of lace. Nose is predominantly toffee and caramel with lesser notes of raisins, vanilla, and bourbon. Many layers of complexity here. Mainly sweet but finishes with a light touch of earthy hops to keep the sweetness in check. Rich, smooth, and delicious.
4.75/5/5/5/5
---

Thanks to an awesome BA who broke this out at DLD. Review from notes on 4/24/10

A - Poured a rich chocolate brown with a large tan head that lasted the entire experience. Touches of lace here and there. Deep ruby red in the light. 4.5

S - Wonderfully malty with lots of caramel and toffee tones mixing with a delicate vanilla and wood. Hint of figs and black currants, but very subtle. I feel enlightened after wafting this goodness. 4.5

T - This is amazing. Complex dark fruits blended perfectly with toffee, caramel, and the slightest hint of robustness. Plums and figs bring the finish with the every so slight earthiness of hops. Yes, this is a delicate beer but that's exactly why it's so good. 4.5

M - There can be no flaw here. Rich and smooth to the point of velvetiness, coats the palate ever so slightly, and finishes with a bit of warmth in the throat. Carbonation is held in check the entire time. 5.0

D - Ok, I'm putting this on my whale hunt. Damn this is good. 5.0

01-19-2014 08:34:47 | More by DmanGTR
whartontallboy

11-15-2011 02:20:23 | More by whartontallboy
Jwale73

Rhode Island

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Shared by jedwards and served in my 25cl Allagash tulip. Poured a deep brown with red highlights that were revealed from each angle and rotation of the glass. Loose, white head quickly dissipates into barely a swirl. Incredible nose - malty, sugary sweet, toffee, butterscotch, a little booze, molasses, prunes and perhaps a little breadiness. Taste follows nose - sugary sweet with the addition of some caramel, vanilla and coconut. Mouthfeel is medium with a lively carbonation. Definitely a little booziness in this, but a big, bold and delicious beer. However, closer to an American Strong than an English barleywine in my humble opinion.

01-10-2010 17:21:00 | More by Jwale73
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev -5.4%

Bomber into a Weyerbacher tulip; shared at a tasting.

A: Effectively opaque brown body with ruby highlights. Not much carbonation, but what do you expect in such a huge beer?

S: Hugely toasty, sweet nose of lightly oxidized barleywine goodness. Caramel, toffee, vanilla, oak, some light, candied fruit. A little over the top - but isn't that what you want?

T: Big, sweet, and oaky. Everything you'd expect; nothing you wouldn't. Great beer.

M: Full body with some spiky carbonation - more than I expected based on the pour and the ABV. Pretty good.

D: Not great, but what could be at 13%?

Notes: Super special thanks to Tony for magnanimously opening this amazing and sought-after beer with us. I only wish we'd had it earlier in the night, when my experience wouldn't have been quite as hazy. Drunkenness didn't keep this from being a memorable experience, though. I can't wait to get to try this beer again, preferably with some more age on it. The astronomical ABV could use some time to tone down, even though it's delicious enough to drink wantonly as is.

Cheers!

10-07-2010 03:31:20 | More by woosterbill
aasher

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

This bottle was graciously shared at DLD by some top notch BAs. I've been looking for a world class bourbon barrel aged barleywine for some time now. It was probably my favorite beer of the day. It poured a dark brown/amberish color with a light off white head. It instantly smelled of oak, bourbon, vanilla, carmel malts, and alcohol. It made the hair on my neck stand up. I instantly knew that I was in for a treat! The flavors were a nice blend of woody earthiness, vanilla, molasses, Evan Williams, and slight roasted malts. The complexities of this one are something I haven't seen from a barleywine yet. It drank very easily and smooth for the high alcohol content. My only complaint is that I only got a four ounce pour and it disappeared too quickly. Massive thanks to those BAs who shared this on Saturday! You forever etched this memory in my mind! Can't wait to see you guys next year!

Edit: I've now had this beer several times since the tasting at DLD and each bottle has been equally superb. I'm confident in saying that it's my all time favorite beer and I cannot get enough of it.

05-02-2011 13:09:16 | More by aasher
ArrogantB

Colorado

22oz bottle courtesy of Jerriko, thanks a million man! I split this with a friend and 11 ounces is too much for me but your mileage may vary. This beer is a monster. Dark brown/black like cola. Smells like whiskey barrels, caramel, pretty good. The flavor is nice but intense whiskey barrel, caramel, barleywine, and then oddly enough a cola flavor. This is a good beer but it is hot and for sipping only.

04-21-2011 19:57:36 | More by ArrogantB
FosterJM

400th review on BA
bottle to snifter
2010
Capped and gold foil

App- This was a gorgeous deep dark pentrating red. It had a lot of shimmery highlights. The head was a very compact two finger khaki in color and was very quick to recede.

Smell- A very big smelling beer. The minute you pop the cap scents just come wofting up and out of the bottle. This was big, boozy and very rich. Scents of oak, vanilla and dark dried fruits fill out the nose.

Taste- This is one of those beers I will remember for a long time. It was powerful and rich but had a multi faceted taste that changed with each sip. The booze is very potent and that's okay because the other flavors compliment it well from the oak and the vanilla to the sweet and strong dried cherries.

Mouth- This bordered itself on being full bodied and was low carbed. The mouth was thick and rich and left a sweet liquor like taste after each sip.

Drink- This was one of the best beers I have had. The strong qualities were matched by its subtle flavor directions and how well each sip played on the last one. Would love to have one a week. Just a great beer.

04-14-2011 01:57:22 | More by FosterJM
tpd975

4.6/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to corby and Gillard for this one. I have been lucky enough to have it twice in the past month.

A: Pours a nice deep shade of brown with amber highlights. Medium tan head leaves behind some nice thick spotty lace.

S: Nice sweet malt notes. Tons of caramel, brown sugar, and toffee. Bourbon soaked apples with hints of oak, and vanilla.

T: Same as aroma. Wonderful malt sweetness, with the bourbon providing a great compliment.

M: Full in body, rich, smooth, creamy, EXCELLENT!

D: A damn fine brew, one I could sip on for hours.

12-20-2009 14:38:29 | More by tpd975
Lare453

07-13-2013 05:54:58 | More by Lare453
maximum12

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Huge malty thanks to lothore for this bottle via trade. I traded for this in ignorance, just figuring it was another decent barrel-aged barleywine, not knowing that it was bringing in a king's ransom. Lothore, I owe you one. 2009 vintage of "The Perfect Storm" bottle split with my wife on a bitterly cold Minnesota evening.

Pours light black, with surging, bubbling, turgid red snapping around the edges of the goblet. The smell is a slapshot of bourbon. I tried really hard, honest, but that's all I could come up with. But it's a really nice smell, somehow dominant without being overwhelming.

The Perfect Storm radiates warmth like an Amish fireplace. Booziness soaks into the pores before anything else is evident. Then the beer unfolds like a spring rose in my warm, welcoming mouth. Big caramel notes waltz with great shots of sweet, sweet malts. Drying oak is sly enough that I almsot missed it, but upon recognition, it's evident in every sip. Vanilla, figgishness or something, round out the sample, before the bourbon steps back in front for one last curtain call.

Strong. Wicked. Thick enough that if it weren't so good, I'm pretty sure I could dump my motor oil & use this. Despite the freak-show ABV & heavy-heavy-monster-mash sparks The Perfect Storm throws off, I could sip this all night. Or as long as my night would last. Not very.

This did not disappoint. A masterpiece that I'm intensely happy I've been able to sample, & now I'm really looking forward to the new batch of Mother of All Storms!

12-09-2010 03:28:47 | More by maximum12
sweemzander

4.9/5  rDev +9.9%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. 2010 vintage. A big thank you to black13 and hopsbreath for bottles of this; been a big want for me for awhile!

(A)- Pours a rather dark burnt sienna color that produced a rather good sized tan colored head despite its ABV. Dissipated to a low layer of froth. Certainly a darker representation of the style, but it does not bother me any.

(S)- A decadent rich profile. Wonderfully sweet and rich caramel/toffee/brown sugar front. Raisin, molasses, cocoa, and a smooth syrupy-like charred oak roastedness that could only have come from the bourbon barrels. Such a dynamic yet delicate and rich aroma that I could smell all day; my description does not do it justice.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A sexy rich profile of raisin and molasses with bits of caramel/toffee/and brown sugar. A blend of cocoa and charred oak. Again, my description fails in comparison to what this is really like.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. It is so smooth yet rich and smooth for a barleywine with only a minimal warmth despite is massive 13.5% ABV.

(D)- This is just a wonderful example of a barleywine despite how fresh it is still. Smooth despite its ABV. My review does not do it justice; rich and dynamic with really the perfect body for the style. I so want to just give this perfect 5s, but this really cannot be too drinkable since it just needs to be sipped and savored to fully appreciate just how good this really is in my opinion.

01-09-2011 19:54:35 | More by sweemzander
mynie

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was the first buzzy barrel-aged barleywine I remember reading about. It’s good and all, but frankly I’m burned out on barrel-aged things. It tastes like vanilla. Or—OR, it tastes fiery like whiskey. And also a little like beer. Whoopie.

I mean, again, it tastes good and all, but I kind of miss the days when we got excited because beer tasted like beer.

Back when I brewed, I sucked. I could understand brewing on paper and had a decent enough nose and palette to tell between different hop and yeast varieties. But I’m impatient and have ADD and am 1/18th basset hound and therefore prone to running through glass porch doors in pursuit of sparkly butterflies. Where was I going with that? Oh, yeah! Impatience! That and brewing do not mix, and so I’d always do something stupid or forget something important and my beers would turn out not very good.

But one time I brewed a high-acid double IPA and I put a cheesecloth sack full o’ oak chips in the secondary. It tasted pretty damn good. All of the off nodes—which, trust me, simply must have been there—were blotted out by vanilla and alcohol and citrusy hops. I cheated, and so I won.

Extremity erases character. That’s why it’s so weird to think that at one point Hitler was a sensitive painter type. Not to say this is the Hitler of beers. I mean, yeah, it gets Shit done, however messily—but I’m going down a weird road, here.
Again, this is not the Hitler of beers.

It does, however, win the award for most annoying shit I’ve ever seen written on a bottle. I’m too full of worms to get up and see what it actually said, but it was something like “you got to wait years on the ocean to see a storm this intense.” Breweries should hire writers. I could do much better. Like, I’d said “this beer is like vanilla and barleywine like a pelican’s salty, barnacled beak.” That sucked. Fine. But it was still less lame than what they wrote.

Full review: http://mynie.com/?p=374

03-23-2013 15:02:20 | More by mynie
hopdog

4.1/5  rDev -8.1%

22oz bottle acquired in trade with bitbucket (thanks!). I needed something strong to figure out Eric's bike!

2007 Vintage.

Poured a deeper brown color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of caramel, dark fruits (raisins), and toffee. Tastes of dark fruits, caramel, nutty, and toffee. Some alcohol in the finish (but not 13%).

07-26-2009 00:51:45 | More by hopdog
Reagan1984

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%

Big Thanks to GbVDave for providing this as the main part of a recent trade. Excellent trading partner.

A beautiful ruby red/amber color. Cool color when held to the light. Rather dark when looking at a full glass. A tan head forms and vanishes fairly quickly. A thin ring of foam remains. No lacing remains.

Aroma is of malt, subtle vanilla a little nutty and a touch of coconut. Some sense of oak, but deep in the background. Actually the aroma just keeps getting better.

If someone says this beer is only highly rated due to hype, they need to be slapped. Wow, this is fantastic. The layers of malt are the base of the flavor. The depth is wonderful. Maple, vanilla, coconut, nice wood, yes bourbon, caramel… Lot’s going on. There are some dark fruits here, but I am so struck by the other flavors that I don’t let my mind dwell there.

Really bold body. Even more than I ever expected. Really thick and almost a syrup. Carbonation only provides a sparkle.

Special beer indeed. I will be trading for this again. Back on the Want List for this one!!!

04-15-2011 00:34:43 | More by Reagan1984