Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Wants: 1,443
Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle, foiled top, 09 release. HUGE thanks to MasterSki for breaking this one out a few weeks back, huge want.

Pours a clear dark ruby red, some brown, very thick tan head forms, huge and chunky, settles down to a thick ring, some lace spots stick, legs on the glass, looks great.

Smell is insane, tons of oak and vanilla, bourbon, brandy, huge toffee notes, butterscotch, coconut, lots of raisin and dark fruit, lightly spicy, alcohol, this is intense.

Taste is similar, huge toffee and brown sugar sweetness, vanilla, bourbon and brandy, alcohol, dark fruit, raisin, butterscotch, more vanilla, more bourbon and alcohol in the finish, supremely malty.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation, some big warmth going down but I would expect no less. This stuff is serious, huge rich malts in the one, amazing. Thanks Alex!

Viggo, Jan 04, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +7.2%

Big thanks goes out to my boy in Washington for getting to try this. This has been a want of mine for a loooong time now, and finally I got to try the new batch. Split this with my girlfriend and roommate. Drumroll...here goes...

A: Opens with a nice muffled hiss and the ghostly smoke climbs out of the bottle. Pours a nice, deep mahagony brown with a khaki head. The head is, I would say, half a finger and recedes to a ring. Slightly sticky and creamy. Georgous.

S: Whoa. Bourbon hits you hard, but in a very good way. Nice spicy bourbon, caramel, toffee, and chocolate rise nicely. There are also hints of fruits (raisins?) perhaps, but the bourbon, caramel and toffee are the majority.

T: This is great. Smooth bourbon and caramel with bittersweet toffee and melted bitter chocolate. The caramel blends so great with the fresh bourbon. There is a slight heat that warms you, but nothing distracting at all.

M/D: Creamy, smooth, warming, delicious. Just great.

I am glad I got to try this beer and am lucky I have a good WA BA friend who gave me another to age. Thanks!

treyrab, Jan 04, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a sinister black color with orange highlights; nice color. Just a smattering of brown head fizzes and then dies atop a half glass of Perfect Storm, as expected. Taking an initial whiff from the bottle, I'm already struck by a powerful blast of bourbon, oak, chocolate, and dead leaves, aromas that I continue to smell after I pour out a few ounces. The aroma is everything I want from a barleywine, with the unique, brawny booze and oak presence lurking at the edges. After a while, the smell becomes a little port-like-- very sweet and a little grapey

Sipping amplifies the bourbon, chocolate, and caramel notes, and vanilla and fruit (cherry, orange peel) flavors are added. Some hot alcohol washes in at mid-sip and brings a segue to a rather spicy finish. It's taking me a while to process everything I taste, perhaps because of the sheer intensity of all aspects of Perfect Storm. I don't taste as much oak, but bourbon is pretty upfront.

Mouthfeel is medium-full in body with a syrup-like consistency. My mouth is left tingling after each sip, and now and then the alcohol threatens to become overwhelming after a sip. This is a slow drinker, and I can see I'll be taking a couple hours to polish off the bomber. I guess I can't complain too much about drinkability, even given the sometimes intense aspects-- it's a bourbon barrel-aged English barleywine, after all, and it is what it is.

All told, Perfect Storm is a really great barleywine, perhaps near Midnight Sun Arctic Devil for among the best I've tried. I think some age would have bumped it to #1, as about all I can ding the beer for is a little harshness in taste and feel from the alcohol/bourbon flavors.

Riccymon, Jan 03, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle courtesy of thirdeye11.

2009 vintage. Pours brown with a very small tan head. Aroma is strong oak and bourbon. The flavor is complex, with vanilla, bourbon, chocolate and roasted malt. Medium mouthfeel and very drinkable. This beer didn't disappoint.

Mora2000, Dec 31, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +3.8%

On tap at the brewpub today.

Like the bottled version, PS pours a dark brown color, but with fair at best head retention and a decent amount of sticky lacing all around. The nose on this BW is really impressive, with a considerable amount of brown sugar, toffee, chocolate, milk duds and vanilla. As good as this beer smells, it tastes even better. If anything, the flavor profile is more intense then the aroma profile, and this beer has almost a gooey sweet, soft creamy mouthfeel. This is like eating/drinking the essense of BW nougat. Also, there are some wonderful dark fruits in the flavor profile, something I don't recall being all that prevelant in the bottled version. Otherwise, the beer is exceptionally soft, plush and creamy... yummm! This beer does seem a bit boozy, but at 13.5%, that's hardly a surprise. Like the sweetness in this beer, it's not at all intrusive, and is something that I suspect will dissipate over time (and as I have another 3 bottles, I'll get to find out!). Drinkability is pretty good considering the abv., though needless to say, a little bit goes a long way. Also, although this beer is pretty sweet, it's not over the top and is, I think, perfect for the style.

One of the best young BW's I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. The draft version seemed a bit more mature then the bottled version, though I'm sure it will improve over time as well. Otherwise, I can't say I found all that much difference between the draft version and the bottled version. In any event, very, very impressive.

John_M, Dec 29, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +4.9%

2009 Vintage

Pour an oxidized/rust brown, but perfectly translucent. Smells of Werther's caramel, a touch of Werther's chocolate, toasted pecans, a touch of bourbon and wood, perhaps lightly roasted coffee... list could go on and on. Basically, it was like smelling an exceptional sherry that changed in the glass over time. Phenomenal.

A bit of heat and tannic wood, which gives taste and drinkability as the only small knocks I gave this beer. Perfectly carbonated upon opening--but even after letting it run still in my glass over a couple hours, I continue to be fascinated by this one. Truly an exceptional beer that I can't wait to try again a few years down the road.

Worth seeking out for fans of English barleywines.

jwjon1, Dec 28, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

They don't ever let you go. Crawling
through your mind and holding on to every bit of you, the blood
looks black in the glass, black in the glass, but red
oh so ruby red, so beautiful a red
and a cap, a froth, the boiling of those that cannot forget their anger
their pain, the clear, perfect clear, boiling, black ruby red blood.
And mahogany. And legs. A lot of legs.

The reeling, reeling through your brain, of oak and of bourbon...
the nightmare. the nightmare of darkness, of forgetting who you are, losing yourself,
of endless nights filled with bourbon, the wood, oak-tree, white pepper.
searing alcohol, the bourbon, fire-water, reeling firewater, complexities.
almond, almond, burnt sugar, and the hazelnuts of last year, in the cold
with a hammer.
sugar cookies. the sugar cookies of yesteryear, and the dark firewater
I wish he hadn't, but it tastes so good
the bourbon, the bourbon, drink it down, and bitter
and candied, caramelized sugar, and hot alcohol
the nuttiness, I've forgotten, I forgot...what was it?
syrup. there it was. my head...
they're coming. it never lets you go. never. the bourbon will kill you,
the fire-water, they're running...
thick. syrup. warm. hot. the bourbon. my head.
light carbonation, and hazelnut. yes.
yes yes.
hazelnut bourbon.
and pepper.

my head.

khiasmus, Dec 22, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle of the '09 release generously shared by bmanning at a tasting in November 2009.

A: Pours a dark caramel with nice light tan head and lacing.

S: The initial whiff brings forward quite a bit of bourbon and alcohol. Underneath there is caramel, wood, vanilla, toffee, and a bit of dark fruits.

T: Again, the first taste brings forward tons of hot bourbon. The underlying flavors are all quite nice and complex, but it takes a while to sort through the hotness of it all. This is what keeps it down at a 4.0, although I could see an aged version of this absolutely creeping up to a 4.5 or even a 5.0, depending on how the heat recedes.

M: Even though this is fairly hot, the complexity is outstanding, begging me to slowly chew every sip of the beer.

D: This was a hard one to put down; sip after sip news things are developing. Would love to try this down the line with some more age on it.

Thorpe429, Dec 21, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +3.8%

A big thanks to t0rin0 for sharing a bottle of this with me.

A: The pour is a dark, dark brown with some nice reddish highlights. The head is mild in volume and tan in color.

S: There is a surprising amount of chocolate (oxidation) in the aroma, but it works quite well. The usual suspects of caramel, toffee, vanilla, and dark fruit are there as well, along with some oak.

T: Like the aroma, there is a ton of chocolate to this beer--something I don't normally expect from a barleywine. The sweet, malty flavors, dark fruits, and barrel contributions (vanilla and a nice oaky flavor) make this amazingly complex. I just had to give it a 5.

M: Very nice and smooth. The carbonation is quite low, and the body is incredibly full.

D: The only place that this beer takes a bit of a hit. This shouldn't be surprising, however. But despite being 13.5% alcohol, it is surprisingly drinkable.

I've not been the hugest barleywine fan in the past, but this beer has changed my perception of the style. Absolutely fantastic.

womencantsail, Dec 21, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +1.6%

09 release

Poured into Carolous chalice.

Pours a layer of tan head. Fades to a ring around the edge of the glass fast. Color is a dark ruby hued chocolate brown.

Aroma: vanilla, oak, bourbon, chocolate, caramel, earthy hops, very complex. Amazing.

Taste: Bourbon, vanilla, and oak up front. A nice amount of hops to balance it out. Caramel with light chocolate. Dark fruit notes. A fantastic b-wine.

Mouthfeel: creamy, smooth, but a little too hot. Pretty full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends malty and hot with dark fruit flavors.

Overall, a fantastic b-wine. One of the best in the style. A little hot. I think this one will get better with age on it and then I will reevaluate the score. I can't wait to try it again

mothman, Dec 21, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to corby and Gillard for this one. I have been lucky enough to have it twice in the past month.

A: Pours a nice deep shade of brown with amber highlights. Medium tan head leaves behind some nice thick spotty lace.

S: Nice sweet malt notes. Tons of caramel, brown sugar, and toffee. Bourbon soaked apples with hints of oak, and vanilla.

T: Same as aroma. Wonderful malt sweetness, with the bourbon providing a great compliment.

M: Full in body, rich, smooth, creamy, EXCELLENT!

D: A damn fine brew, one I could sip on for hours.

tpd975, Dec 20, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -0.7%

Shared with Reed415 while getting our kronk on...

A--Plenty of lacing with a orange-burgandy hue.

S--Complex. So many diffent things going on. Vanilla, spice, and of course, some bourbon.

T--Tempted to give it a 5. So complex in its flavors, not too much Bourbon which I liked, it did not overpower the brew allowing its other flavors to come out. Vanilla and cinnamon for sure, figs?

D--Do to its rarity, does it matter? What I can say is this is a sipper to be enjoyed for its complex flavors and smell. Hated to see it go.

garbercury, Dec 15, 2009

22oz bottle...most recent vintage.

Pours a deep mahogany, with a small but nice looking tan head.
Aroma is magnificent, so much happening here...huge smooth bourbon notes, vanilla, toffee, wood, cinnamon, caramel and rich dark fruits. Wow the nose the very complex. Seems like each time I give it a sniff something new is coming out.
Flavor is equally impressive if not better...rich and smooth flavors of caramel, vanilla, oak and a nice spot on for the style hop presence.
Really nice full body and extremely smooth, very drinkable almost no alcohol presence. This is hands down the best barleywine I have ever had.

gregc, Dec 15, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

22oz bottle shared at a tasting. Damn it, once again I don't remember who brought it. largadeer I believe. I swear, I am losing it.

Pours a cloudy dark brown color with a medium tan head that fades to a ring and leaves good lacing.

Aroma is caramel, bourbon, wood, toffee, dark fruit, and spice. Really pungent and awesome. A "perfect storm" of awesome aromas melding together (yes, very creative, I know).

Flavor is caramel and lots of toffee and wood, in addition to vanilla, spices, cherry raisin, fig, date, malted milk balls, and a little mildly boozy bourbon. Very complex and very, very tasty. Once again, the name of this beer is fitting.

Full body with a smooth mouthfeel, only ever so slightly boozy but very warming. Drinkability is high because it's just so damn good. Overall, this is easily one of the best barleywines I've ever tried.

nickd717, Dec 15, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to ipafool for this. Pours ruby/dark brown in color with an interesting tan head that recedes to nonexistence. Smells and tastes amazing - tons of bourbon, vanilla, toffee, raisins, dark fruits, wood, and alcoholic heat. This really is liquid toffee. Reminds me a bit of FW Abacus or FW 10. An amazing wood-aged barleywine. Body is super thick, but the carbonation slices through it to prevent syrupification. I started out the gate strong in downing this, but am hitting a wall as I near the end of the bottle, so drinkability takes a bit of a hit. Not sure why this is sold in bombers rather than 12 oz bottles, but quite a tasty brew.

waltonc, Dec 12, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

I drank this second release from a 22.oz bottle into my Rochefort glass.

The beer is a dark brown with medium brown head that rises about 1 finger is gone quite quickly. The lacing is heavy but watery in substance is gone quickly.

The aroma is strong and complex you get bourbon, wood and vanilla right off the bat but then some nice rasian, toffee, and sadly a touch too much alcohol at the end.

This beer tastes very comples and wonderful. The front is very malty lots of raisins, then it fades to bourbon and and ton of vanilla at the end. For 13.5% you taste some alcohol but it could be a lot more.

The feel is incredibly it coats your mouth like syrup almost numbing you to the bone. This is by far the best mouthfeel ever.

Overall, I'm not a barleyfine at ALL! But this great beers may just change my mind, or just is it this beer? This beer is tasty, complex and has the best mouthfeel I've ever had. I would recommend this beer up and down all day.

jrallen34, Dec 10, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +4.9%

Cannot believe I get to finally try this one, been a long time coming for sure! Served at cellar temp and poured into a snifter, this one was consumed on 12/07/2009.

The pour was fantastic, and much better then I have seen on any of the BA BW before. Rich dark brown in color with a huge head of tan that just towered over the top of the glass. Settling down smoothly and evenly it produced a thick coating of lace all along the sides of the glass. Rich vanilla and woody aromas are being picked up almost immediately. Huge notes of oak and subtle caramel and toffee and truly dominating here for sure. Warming only brings this out further, rich and decadent, sweet aromas just building off each other here. The first sip is divine, subtle, and rich and perfectly carbonated it simply rolls across the tongue with a gentleness that is unheard of. Vanilla and caramel merging with oak like notes and touches of earthy hops all working together seamlessly. I am still not sure how strong this one is, but subtleness is key here as it was barely detectable at all.

Overall this was just incredible. I had heard this was one of the best out there, but very seldom does that hold true, here it does with flying colors. One of the best, hands down I has ever had.

mikesgroove, Dec 09, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +9.4%

BA barley wines typically aren't my favorite style and after all the hype, I was really curious to see how it would hold up.

This was poured into a small snifter and the dark brown/ruby brew sat heavy with a light layer of cream colored bubbles around the edges. They dissipated quickly but small carbonation bubbles continued to rise and agitate the surface. The color was very nice but it was the aroma that let me know I was in for something special. Immediately a wave of warm bourbon and vanilla hit me followed by a light sweetness and touch of alcohol. This easily could be out of balance but to me each component mixed so delicately with one another where the combination added up to something impossibly better than the individual scents. Honestly, if they were able to create an air freshener that matched this aroma, I don't think I could ever leave my house.

If even possible, the taste was better than the aroma. Initially there's a bit of sweetness that quickly fades as the complexity sinks in. Yes, there's a lot of bourbon and vanilla and toffee, but the longer it sits in on your tongue, the more the flavors change. Whereas Wooden Hell is velvet like and overall exceptional, it seems a bit one-dimensional to me compared to the Perfect Storm. Both have outstanding bourbon flavors with a great malt backbone, but TPS just seems to have a complexity in the base beer that is so well balance that it makes sipping on it for a long time extremely enjoyable.

This easily is one of the best beers I've ever had and being the rich, intensely flavorful beer that it is, it's definitely a sipper. That being said, the light carbonation keeps it playful and the smoothness made me crave sip after sip. I went into this thinking that it would be pretty good but would most likely not live up to the hype, and I was absolutely wrong. It's exceptional and I only wish I had more.

SonicAlligator, Dec 08, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -18.2%

Big thanks to Joel, who brought this to our tasting...this was one I was very excited to try!

Pours a very dark, very clear reddish brown with a tan head that dissipates to nothing.

Smell is of toffee, raisin, prune, bourbon, vanilla and oak. Big, malty, sweet, and very boozy. Nice. This is so barrely.

The taste is equally strong. Very bourbony and boozy. Too much so. Bitter and carmelly with some blueberry-like dark fruits. This beer is so rough around the edges, it is impossible to review it as positively as others have on here. I truly don't understand the fuss over this one, and neither did most of those with whom I shared the bottle (and we didn't even discuss that at the tasting--just now reading their notes). This tastes like a prime candidate for extended aging, but as it stands fresh, it just isn't very drinkable or tasty. Give it 2 or more years and it might turn into something great, but it just isn't right now.

Crazy hot with low-medium carbonation with a medium-full body.

Too hot and too intense to be very drinkable, this one is complex and tasty enough to keep me thirsty for more...to a point.

photomike, Dec 07, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -26.5%

Bottle brought down by Joel from the pub. Super dark red color with a small beige head. The aroma has a lot of bourbon influence and barrel character, like this spent some quality time on wood. Dark burnt sugars, charred oak, burnt vanilla, caramel, alcohol and old wood. The flavor is very hot with lots of bourbon, dark caramel, bunt fruit and charred wood. The finish is almost pure alcohol and very rich. The mouthfeel is very hot and alcoholic, full, and has a modest amount of prickly carbonation. A very big beer that is not very smooth at this point and could use a lot of time to mellow out. Dark and burnt for a barleywine. They really went for it with maximum barrel extraction, but it looks like its going to take a lot of time to really mellow back out.

bulletrain76, Dec 07, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy Joel. Pours a gorgeous shimmering copper color with a fading beige head. Aroma is sharp bourbon, lots of heat here, charred oak, vanilla. This is more bourbony than any barrel-aged beer I've had. Over the top. Flavor is caramel and bourbon, vanilla, leather, and wood. I don't know if I'm drinking beer or if a plane dropped a barrel on my face. Needs a lot of age to gain a modicum of drinkability. Also rather thin from the spirit influence.

illidurit, Dec 07, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of Big Joel

S: Vanilla, bready, sweet, bourbon

A: Dark ruby brown, minimal brown head

T: Malty, sweet, vanilla, caramel, woody, crackers/bready, strong bourbon/boozy presence.

M: Fairly thin and hot. Like a bit more mouth on my beer

D: High abv, thin and hot. Definitely a sipper.

Overall: A little less body and more heat than I had hoped. Still delicious. I'm sure heat and drink will improve w/cellaring.

bret27, Dec 06, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a very dark amber/chestnut brown color with ruby mahogany edges and a one finger light beige head that quickly fades into a lasting ring that leaves sporadic spots of lacing behind.

Sweet caramel malt aroma with hints of honey, toffee, hazelnut and earthy leathery malts. Sweet alcohol, earthy oak and a boat load of vanilla accompanying the subtle bourbon character. There was not as much bourbon in the nose as I had expected and this is a nice change of pace. Very complex with a lot of interesting aromas going on here.

Nice soft carbonation up front with a medium body that's on the fuller end. Promient oaky tannis and a huge vanilla character from the oak aging. The bourbon is ore prominent in the flavor than in the aroma but again it isn't overpowering but rather is a nice compliment to the other complex flavors. There's also a bit of dark fruit, especially raisin, fig and date balancing out the earthy leathery malt notes. The bourbon presence provides a bit of alcohol warmth but this beer is dangerously drinkable considering how well the high ABV is masked. Extremely smooth and if I didn't share this bottle with some other BAs I would have probably killed myself by drinking it too fast. This is one of the best beers I've ever had and I can't recommend it and higher!

corby112, Dec 06, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

a - pour a deep ruby brown, one inch tan head with retention around the edges, slightly hazy

s - very complex, leather, tobacco, oak, bourbon, caramel malt, vanilla, one of the best smelling beers I've experienced

t - caramel, tobacco and bourbon sweetness, very well integrated, amaretto and vanilla on the mid-palate, finish is lingering oak, bourbon and caramel with a nice boozy warmth

m - full-bodied, low to medium carbonation, well-balanced finish, lots of alcohol warming

d - definitely a sipper, but quite drinkable for a 13.5% barleywine, incredibly complex and interesting

This definitely lived up to the hype...incredibly complex barleywine that will certainly improve with age.

WeisGuy, Dec 03, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

2009 bottle

A: Very deep mahogany, nearly purple. Very faint tan head about a quarter inch formed but quickly faded in less than a few seconds and no lace could be found.

S: Lots of sweet flavors like toffee, caramel, dark fruit followed by some sweet vanilla and bourbon. The wood is very mild but provides a hint of an earthy undertone.

T: This very well may have been the most complex beer I have ever tried. Each sip seemed to provide a different flavor. It started out with the toffee and caramel but there were also some nice coconut and almond notes present. Plenty of bourbon in there as well providing a nice amount of smokiness and some leather. Figs with a mild vanilla flavor also come it. At times it tasted a bit like marscapone. Again one of the most complex beers I have ever tasted.

M: It was slightly hot and at first the bold flavors were a bit overwhelming. It had a nice cheky quality and blurred the lines of what a beer can be. At times I felt like I was drinking a port due to the sweetness.

D: This is one to share without a doubt. The tiniest of sips was all that was needed to get a mouthful of flavor.

mikey711, Dec 03, 2009