Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Wants: 1,430
Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros
SonicAlligator

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +9.4%

BA barley wines typically aren't my favorite style and after all the hype, I was really curious to see how it would hold up.

This was poured into a small snifter and the dark brown/ruby brew sat heavy with a light layer of cream colored bubbles around the edges. They dissipated quickly but small carbonation bubbles continued to rise and agitate the surface. The color was very nice but it was the aroma that let me know I was in for something special. Immediately a wave of warm bourbon and vanilla hit me followed by a light sweetness and touch of alcohol. This easily could be out of balance but to me each component mixed so delicately with one another where the combination added up to something impossibly better than the individual scents. Honestly, if they were able to create an air freshener that matched this aroma, I don't think I could ever leave my house.

If even possible, the taste was better than the aroma. Initially there's a bit of sweetness that quickly fades as the complexity sinks in. Yes, there's a lot of bourbon and vanilla and toffee, but the longer it sits in on your tongue, the more the flavors change. Whereas Wooden Hell is velvet like and overall exceptional, it seems a bit one-dimensional to me compared to the Perfect Storm. Both have outstanding bourbon flavors with a great malt backbone, but TPS just seems to have a complexity in the base beer that is so well balance that it makes sipping on it for a long time extremely enjoyable.

This easily is one of the best beers I've ever had and being the rich, intensely flavorful beer that it is, it's definitely a sipper. That being said, the light carbonation keeps it playful and the smoothness made me crave sip after sip. I went into this thinking that it would be pretty good but would most likely not live up to the hype, and I was absolutely wrong. It's exceptional and I only wish I had more.

12-08-2009 04:08:00 | More by SonicAlligator
photomike

3.65/5  rDev -18.2%

Big thanks to Joel, who brought this to our tasting...this was one I was very excited to try!

Pours a very dark, very clear reddish brown with a tan head that dissipates to nothing.

Smell is of toffee, raisin, prune, bourbon, vanilla and oak. Big, malty, sweet, and very boozy. Nice. This is so barrely.

The taste is equally strong. Very bourbony and boozy. Too much so. Bitter and carmelly with some blueberry-like dark fruits. This beer is so rough around the edges, it is impossible to review it as positively as others have on here. I truly don't understand the fuss over this one, and neither did most of those with whom I shared the bottle (and we didn't even discuss that at the tasting--just now reading their notes). This tastes like a prime candidate for extended aging, but as it stands fresh, it just isn't very drinkable or tasty. Give it 2 or more years and it might turn into something great, but it just isn't right now.

Crazy hot with low-medium carbonation with a medium-full body.

Too hot and too intense to be very drinkable, this one is complex and tasty enough to keep me thirsty for more...to a point.

12-07-2009 07:21:47 | More by photomike
bulletrain76

3.28/5  rDev -26.5%

Bottle brought down by Joel from the pub. Super dark red color with a small beige head. The aroma has a lot of bourbon influence and barrel character, like this spent some quality time on wood. Dark burnt sugars, charred oak, burnt vanilla, caramel, alcohol and old wood. The flavor is very hot with lots of bourbon, dark caramel, bunt fruit and charred wood. The finish is almost pure alcohol and very rich. The mouthfeel is very hot and alcoholic, full, and has a modest amount of prickly carbonation. A very big beer that is not very smooth at this point and could use a lot of time to mellow out. Dark and burnt for a barleywine. They really went for it with maximum barrel extraction, but it looks like its going to take a lot of time to really mellow back out.

12-07-2009 05:19:58 | More by bulletrain76
illidurit

3.25/5  rDev -27.1%

Bottle courtesy Joel. Pours a gorgeous shimmering copper color with a fading beige head. Aroma is sharp bourbon, lots of heat here, charred oak, vanilla. This is more bourbony than any barrel-aged beer I've had. Over the top. Flavor is caramel and bourbon, vanilla, leather, and wood. I don't know if I'm drinking beer or if a plane dropped a barrel on my face. Needs a lot of age to gain a modicum of drinkability. Also rather thin from the spirit influence.

12-07-2009 03:27:44 | More by illidurit
bret27

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle courtesy of Big Joel

S: Vanilla, bready, sweet, bourbon

A: Dark ruby brown, minimal brown head

T: Malty, sweet, vanilla, caramel, woody, crackers/bready, strong bourbon/boozy presence.

M: Fairly thin and hot. Like a bit more mouth on my beer

D: High abv, thin and hot. Definitely a sipper.

Overall: A little less body and more heat than I had hoped. Still delicious. I'm sure heat and drink will improve w/cellaring.

12-06-2009 18:18:15 | More by bret27
corby112

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a very dark amber/chestnut brown color with ruby mahogany edges and a one finger light beige head that quickly fades into a lasting ring that leaves sporadic spots of lacing behind.

Sweet caramel malt aroma with hints of honey, toffee, hazelnut and earthy leathery malts. Sweet alcohol, earthy oak and a boat load of vanilla accompanying the subtle bourbon character. There was not as much bourbon in the nose as I had expected and this is a nice change of pace. Very complex with a lot of interesting aromas going on here.

Nice soft carbonation up front with a medium body that's on the fuller end. Promient oaky tannis and a huge vanilla character from the oak aging. The bourbon is ore prominent in the flavor than in the aroma but again it isn't overpowering but rather is a nice compliment to the other complex flavors. There's also a bit of dark fruit, especially raisin, fig and date balancing out the earthy leathery malt notes. The bourbon presence provides a bit of alcohol warmth but this beer is dangerously drinkable considering how well the high ABV is masked. Extremely smooth and if I didn't share this bottle with some other BAs I would have probably killed myself by drinking it too fast. This is one of the best beers I've ever had and I can't recommend it and higher!

12-06-2009 01:13:02 | More by corby112
WeisGuy

4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

a - pour a deep ruby brown, one inch tan head with retention around the edges, slightly hazy

s - very complex, leather, tobacco, oak, bourbon, caramel malt, vanilla, one of the best smelling beers I've experienced

t - caramel, tobacco and bourbon sweetness, very well integrated, amaretto and vanilla on the mid-palate, finish is lingering oak, bourbon and caramel with a nice boozy warmth

m - full-bodied, low to medium carbonation, well-balanced finish, lots of alcohol warming

d - definitely a sipper, but quite drinkable for a 13.5% barleywine, incredibly complex and interesting

This definitely lived up to the hype...incredibly complex barleywine that will certainly improve with age.

12-03-2009 06:02:33 | More by WeisGuy
mikey711

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

2009 bottle

A: Very deep mahogany, nearly purple. Very faint tan head about a quarter inch formed but quickly faded in less than a few seconds and no lace could be found.

S: Lots of sweet flavors like toffee, caramel, dark fruit followed by some sweet vanilla and bourbon. The wood is very mild but provides a hint of an earthy undertone.

T: This very well may have been the most complex beer I have ever tried. Each sip seemed to provide a different flavor. It started out with the toffee and caramel but there were also some nice coconut and almond notes present. Plenty of bourbon in there as well providing a nice amount of smokiness and some leather. Figs with a mild vanilla flavor also come it. At times it tasted a bit like marscapone. Again one of the most complex beers I have ever tasted.

M: It was slightly hot and at first the bold flavors were a bit overwhelming. It had a nice cheky quality and blurred the lines of what a beer can be. At times I felt like I was drinking a port due to the sweetness.

D: This is one to share without a doubt. The tiniest of sips was all that was needed to get a mouthful of flavor.

12-03-2009 00:59:31 | More by mikey711
Dajtai007

08 TPS (4.8)
A month ago a friend and I took a very long trip to Pacific City. First sight was the amazing Oregon coastline. I have to say that the brewery is one of the sweetest sights I have ever seen. Literally, its right on the beach! I knew I was in for a treat. Pick up a three cases of their finest. I drove home with that silly grin of accomplishment.
Went home served it in my Rochefort glass, I thiought it was fitting.
Deep deep red with a very creamy head that bubbles out.
The smell was deep with a rich malty goodness. I have a hard time deciphering minute aromas. Lets just say " It was divine".
Taking my first sip let me know it was finely carbonated, very clean. To follow up with amazing complex flavors. The great thing was that the high ABV was tamed quite well.
After thew bottle I felt blissful with a warm fuzziness that comes from excellent beer. I'm so glad I know where to get more,

Great beer, one of the reasons I moved to the NW!

09 Batch (5.0)
This years TPS is sublime. The base beer, 08 Stormwatchers, is a lot better than the previous. Thus giving the ale a wonderful creaminess and balance it didn't have before (I didn't realize this until I did a side-by-side tasting). Big notes of vanilla, caramel , prunes, raisins, and a little bourbon makes this years batch worth every drop. I have to give a standing ovation to Pelican for taking TPS up a notch. They have been producing some amazing beers under the radar and TPS is the cream of the crop. Great World Class Beer!!!

11-30-2009 18:48:17 | More by Dajtai007
rpstevens

New Hampshire

4.78/5  rDev +7.2%

Huge thanks to rochefort10nh for sharing this brew with me, during my break at work none-the-less. Reviewed from notes earlier today. The pour yielded no head, just a tight white ring around the top of the deep dark brown mahogany body. When held up the light there was a bit of amber glow around the edges, very little lacing on this one.

The smell is an intoxicating blend of toffee, caramel, bourbon booze, barrel and vanilla. Underneath the dominate notes there are hints of pine resin, toasted malts and raisins.

The taste is a huge malty blast of caramel, toffee and a toasted malt sweetness, that never gets too sweet or cloying. The barrel flavors bring everything back to center quickly and effectively and the bourbon just finishes everything off. You taste caramel-and-bourbon, toffee-and-bourbon, etc... The bourbon flavors are perhaps the best I have had in a beer yet, just perfectly complementing everything else and inviting me back for more.

This is definitely a sipper, it has a thick boozy mouthfeel and the warming sensation in the stomach starts almost instantly with this brew. The carbonation is light, but spot on for the style, and adds just enough to make the beer more complex. The finish is incredible and surprisingly dry, not sweet and boozy at all. As the beer warms the raisin and vanilla come out a bit more, making the flavors more interesting indeed.

11-26-2009 03:27:55 | More by rpstevens
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

Let me just start off by saying that this is fantastic beer that really shows what barrel-aging is capable of doing with a high-quality base beer. Of course using the finest quality barrels also adds to the complexities found in this elixir.

Appearance is really a deep brown when observed at table level but when held to the light a russet and golden edged sunburst color is apparent. Little to no head is produced with a vigorous pour, but that's not to say there isn't any carbonation. Surprisingly no legs are visible even when the beer is swirled to release it's outstanding aroma. At this level of alcohol legs were, to me, a forgone conclusion.

On to that outstanding smell. Where to begin!! Deep dark, Belgian chocolate, star anise, fresh, home-made caramel, intoxicating booze (high quality), very slight pine and resin, a minute amount of top-shelf soy sauce and a roasty bourbon char and the requisite vanilla underpinnings.

The taste is not nearly as sweet as I thought it would be. It almost reminds me of a Amontillado sherry in how the nose would leave you to believe that a serious dose of sweetness (toffee, honey, turbinado sugar) was coming your way, only to produce the hint of those sticky sweet flavors you expect to swirl around in your mouth. Very intriguing and very more-ish. The Storm also has a hint of hazelnuts in is lasting finish.

Mouthfeel is thick, rich and viscous - almost decadent. Not a great deal of carbonation, but enough to suit the style perfectly.

This is a sipper folks, but the best kind of sipper possible - warm, friendly and lets face it, intoxicating - the kind of beer that leads to reflection and contemplation. This is a beer for late fall, early winter when the trees are barren and the first signs of frost blanket the earth. Take out your favorite beer book, start a fire and relax.

Update: This has become my favorite Barleywine over the years. I look forward to buying a case each year. This is the ONLY beer I buy by the case!! I'm drinking my last 2012 as the leaves fall and thunderstorms roll in. This is why I drink beer. Perfection!

11-24-2009 22:03:30 | More by Rochefort10nh
chief7771

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +3.1%

Finally got around to rating this delicious beer. Previously split a bottle with a friend a few weeks ago. We split another with 2 others tonite.This is unlike any other barleywine I have had.

A- Poured with limited bubbles and they disappeared quickly from the glass. Very dark, beautiful beer. Swirled nicely in our Dogfish Head brandy glasses, and left a nice coating.

S- Wow, this is bourbon! Beautiful woodsy, bourbon barrel smell. Lots of alcohol scents. We couldn't help but continue to swirl our glasses to get more of the scent wafting up our noses.

T- Again, not like any barleywine I have ever tasted. It had characteristics of a imperial stout, some barleywine, english strong ale and bourbon.

M- Wow again. Lots of alcohol flavors. Carbonation went quickly away as we continued to drink our glass. But who needs that when you have a delicious sipping/after dinner/dessert beer? Sweet flavors continued to come through.

D- A must share with friends. Enjoy a bottle with two people or more.

This is a great beer. Didn't rate it the highest because I don't think this is a traditional barleywine but extremely enjoyable.

11-24-2009 05:32:05 | More by chief7771
MysterySwirl

Wisconsin

This is the 2009 vintage. Thanks Mike!

This is my first review, and what a beer to kick it off with!

Pouring this beer into my glass reminds me of that vanilla cherry dr pepper a little bit with all the smells. I can definitely smell the bourbon and malts too. It looks like a dark brown color. The foam settles quickly and all thats left is a nice set of intersecting carbonated bubbles rising up the edge of the glass.

The taste of the beer is just like the smell - very thick and chewy and just the right amount of carbonation. I taste nuts, bread, sweet dark fruits.

This is easy to drink. High ABV not a concern. It's actually a little dry swallowing with a nice warmth. Well balanced.

Parts of this beer reminds me of the Central Waters bourbon barrel barleywine but more complex, brewed in my state. If I could find another bottle of this, I'd love to do a side by side tasting with that.

11-17-2009 18:57:32 | More by MysterySwirl
kunstdrache

2009 vintage-

Poured this into my Delirium Tremens tulip snifter. Was hit with the pleasant smell of vanilla, bourbon, caramels and the tan lacing quickly dissipated into a nice little ring of lacing. When I swirl my glass, I'm reminded of this beer's thickness. Damn - this is a hell of a BA Barleywine. *Just had it again and I honestly can say this is the BEST smelling beer I have ever had. If we had to score this based on smell the Perfect Storm would be number one.

It's very dark brownish ruby color but-crimson like through the edges when I hold my glass to the light. So smooth - malty, dark fruits, bready, caramel. Carbonation teases my tongue and cheeks when I swirl it around. The ABV is warming and the taste is dryer on the finish but SO drinkable. It's like drinking pure goodness!

World class - that's for sure. Lives up to the hype and belongs where it is now. I wish I had more of this than the 3 bottle I have left because I can only imagine how this is going to taste in a year or two.

11-16-2009 17:51:53 | More by kunstdrache
callmemickey

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

2009 Vintage (aged in 1998 Evan Williams barrels).

A: Deep rudy-brown body. Bordeaux like on the edges when held to the light. Lively carbonation forms a fizzy, coca-cola like khaki head. Rises to about an inch before crashing rapidly. No lacing to speak of.

S: Rich bourbon, soft oak, warm caramel, sweet vanilla, roasted brown sugar, molasses and hints of raisin. There are lots of elements coming together here in harmony. Sweet, yet not cloying or desert like.

T: The sweet caramel, brown sugar and molasses dominates. Accentuated by substantial, yet not overwhelming, bourbon. The barrels imparts a nice delicate oak/vanilla character. You can tell that this beer is the product of both an excellent base beer and nice bourbon barrels with a good amount of age on them.

M: There is lively carbonation throughout the entire bomber. Imparting a hefty, yet not massive mouthfeel. Creamy. Perhaps a bit oily. Nice lingering bourbon "burn" in the finish.

D: Immensely drinkable. Easily the best barleywine available. Looking forward to trying this each year.

11-15-2009 19:34:44 | More by callmemickey
FtownThrowDown

4.78/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a very dark brown in color. A little froth around the edges, but not a whole lot of head going on.
Smell is huge malts, a little toffee and just a hint of alcohol in the backend.
Taste is incredibly smooth, some slight fruits and a bit of alcohol heat in the finish. This beer is absolutely outstanding. The drinkability on this beer is unbelievable. The abv is barely noticeable in the beer.
The mouthfeel is untouchable in this beer. I know this beer comes in at 13.5%, but everytime I take a sip I want to drink the whole thing.
I love this beer.

11-14-2009 23:50:42 | More by FtownThrowDown
davod23

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Ahh, I have been waiting a long time to get a chance to try this beer. Poured from a bottle into my Bruery tulip. Thanks, Ben.

I was taken aback by the brew from the instant it poured from the bottle. A very dark but clear deep reddish amber color, very, very attractive for the style. A thin tan head develops, but quickly dissipates. Nice.

The moment you pop the cap the aromas explode on you. Bourbon is paramount here, but underneath are layers of brown sugar, toffee, alcohol, and just a hint of dark fruit. I'm thinking plum.

Taste is excellent. Again, the barrel aging is very obvious here, with the bourbon playing a big role. Taste follows the nose - sweet caramel, brown sugar, with a nice alcoholic zing at the end. Maybe some nuttiness on the finish too, which is interesting and unexpected. Only reason that it's not a perfect 5 here is because I think the bourbon could be slightly more mellow (but only slightly). This will age very well - a year in the cellar might make this a perfect score.

Mouthfeel doesn't get any better for a barleywine. The slight carbonation is perfect, and the beer is viscous and chewy. Outstanding.

You know, I don't care that this is 13% alcohol. I think that I could sip on this beer all night and never, ever get tired of it. I might pass out, but it would be totally worth it. If this beer was on the shelves, I would have it stocked all-the-freaking time.

Perhaps the best English barleywine I have had the pleasure of drinking.

11-14-2009 20:27:35 | More by davod23
nomomentwasted

Oregon

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%

Had two pours of this last night at the South Bay Drugs Bottle Tasting. This was had in the same night as BA Speedway, BA Numbskull, Black Tuesday, and Black Ops. This is not a stout, yes, but the barrel-aged nature of it certainly lends a similar bourbon character.

Appearance: Certainly nothing remarkable or indicative of a "world class" beer status. Don't mean that in a negative way, just in a you-don't-know-what's-coming way. Slight reddish hue in a brown-orange beer with a relatively little tannish crown.

Smell: Raisins, bourbon-rum, malty, sugary sweetness and some booze coming through. A very, very pleasing aroma.

Taste: I was slightly let down from what I've heard, but still very powerful. Rum-raisin, brown sugar, with the big bourbon notes coming through. It's certainly a complex beer, but she needs a little time in a cellar to mellow the tastes out a bit. Huge potential here for sure.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick, and relatively mild in the bitterness department. Bourbony finish is very solid as well.

Drinkability: I think it drinks right around the ABV. Side-by-side with the other barrel-aged classics though, it just didn't stand out to me in the same way. Then again, give this a year or two to mellow out some boozy sweetness and I could easily see this sliding into that tier.

11-13-2009 19:12:38 | More by nomomentwasted
LilMatrix

Washington

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

Latest 2009 vintage

A: Dark Ruby, a quick swirl exposes a light tan head that dissipates quickly.

S: Bourbon, Alcohol, brown sugar, cake.

T: Bourbon, oak, Vanilla, slightly fruity, not overly hot... delicious!

M: Thick and chewy with pleasant carbonation.

D: Was expecting this to be boozy and sweet with alot of heat. Surprisingly it was very well balanced and complex but never cloying. Kinda reminds me of Bourbon Barrel Angel's Share but chewier and actually carbonated. A definite sipper, but what a fantastic beer. One of the best barreled barleywines I've had.

11-12-2009 20:22:12 | More by LilMatrix
Overlord

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks Shane.

Pours a glowing, translucent brown with some ruddy, ruby-esque highlights. A small light tan head of maybe a half an inch to an inch, surprising considering the brew's abv. Very attractive.

Smells glorious. Absolutely splendiferous. Rich warming bourbon, supple caramel, a bit of coconut and vanilla, some .. wood? ... notes brown sugar and candied cake, along with toffee and roasted marshmallows. Really sublime, with two dozen things going on at once. Maybe even a hint of dark fruit.

Tastes very good. A really great melding of strong boubon flavors with a complex backing. The bourbon comes through more strongly in the flavor than the aroma. The coconut, vanilla and ... dark chocolate ...? take more of a center stage along with the luscious bourbon, and the brown sugar, toffee, and caramel provide a delicious sweet backbone. The barrel also give a slight woodsy/earthy flavor to it. I do wish that it had a touch less bourbon, but it's a small complaint considering all that was going on.

Chewy, thick mouthfeel. Quite an achievement. Considering the ABV, very drinkable.

11-12-2009 02:50:10 | More by Overlord
largadeer

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%

Opened this one with HopHead84 upon landing in San Diego last Thursday. What a beer to start the weekend with. 2009 vintage.

The beer pours a dark reddish-brown, and sits in the glass nearly opaque with a finger of tan head. When held to the light, it has a beautiful crimson hue with perfect clarity.

The aroma is earthy, woody, leathery. There's a bit of tobacco and some noticeable oxidation in the form of sherry with just a hint of soy sauce. There's a bit of boozy heat from the barrel as well, along with caramel and a touch of toasted coconut.

Opens on the palate with moderate malty sweetness, light fruity esters, boozy bourbon, fruitcake and a touch of roastiness. The body is medium-full; this isn't overly rich or sweet as some barleywines can be. The mid-palate brings out more heat and some pleasant oxidation - soy sauce, sherry, and some oaky vanilla. The finish is tannic and dry with a light bitterness.

Drinkability is good for a 13.5% barleywine. While it's very rich, it's not especially cloying and the complexity keeps it interesting throughout.

11-10-2009 19:46:44 | More by largadeer
xpimptastikx

4.55/5  rDev +2%

2009

A - Pours a ruby tinted root beer stream with a short lived dark tan head that recedes to nothing. Only a few sips in, but no lace. The appearance should be a 4, but I'm adjusting it to bump the taste to ~5.

S - Damn this smells great. As I started pouring this I could smell the sweet sweet bourbon. Fantastic toffee, raisins, oak, vanilla, and I think some nuts?

T - Thick brown sugar, vanilla, and rum soaked raisins. This is freakin' delicious, and is making a great dessert night cap. I might be crazy, but it reminds me of Nutella a little bit...

M/D - There really isn't much of an alcohol presence, but I also enjoy a glass of good bourbon. The mouthfeel is awesome; oily and coats your whole mouth with light carbonation. It's a sipper, but one I seriously can't put down.

11-10-2009 01:10:11 | More by xpimptastikx
ipafool

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%

Shared courtesy of mykie73, thanks dude

L) Pours with little head, tiny bubbles around the glass which show the light carbonation. Brown to amber almost transparent. Looks yummy

S) huge toffee notes, bourbon, syrup, oak. Smells yummy.

T) light sweetness, bourbon and oak like the smell a little hot but still awesome. Tastes yummy.

M) Perfect, the light carbonation does wonders not to thick not to thin. A somewhat dry finish. Yummy again

D) Perfect again, it is strong but it is a barrel aged barleywine. I could sip this all night long.

A overall great beer that should be seeked out by any barleywine lover.

11-10-2009 01:06:49 | More by ipafool
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +2%

Shared with Dave & Joe for NBS. Served in a mini-pint glass.

A - A finger of dark tan/mocha foam that dissipates to a thick ring and leaves a bit of light film. Transparent ruby red-brown body that really glows when held to the light. Not much in the way of lace, but still quite impressive for such a high-gravity brew.

S - The smell is a wonderful combination of toasted marshmallow, light coconut, milk chocolate, burnt brown sugar, a bit of wood, and a touch of grape/raisin flavor that I tend to get more from old ales (like Papier). The booze and bourbon are extremely understated, especially compared to something like Barrel-Aged Behemoth.

T - The taste isn't quite as complex, with more roastiness and tannic bite - there's still some chocolate and sugar, but there's also some multi-grain bread qualities bouncing around. Finishes with a lot of tannins and barrel, as well as some roastiness, but it's not overly bitter or astringent. Pretty good - should probably be closer to 4.25 at this stage.

M - The mouthfeel is wonderful. Big and chewy, viscous, full bodied, with a dry finish that has only a touch of residual stickiness. Light carbonation tingle that keeps things from getting too syrupy and heavy, but not harsh either.

D - I keep sipping this one. It's very mellow considering the ABV. That said, the aftertaste does get a touch fatiguing - I don't think I'd ever have more than a bottle in one sitting. I think I like Abacus a little more, but this didn't disappoint either.

11-09-2009 01:10:18 | More by MasterSki
rudylaw

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

A case of this arrived on Friday from Portland. Best thing I've ever had from the Pacific Northwest!

Pours a dark ruby red/chestnut brown with a small head that recedes into a thin rim. Looks stately in my tulip class!

This is easily the best smelling beer I've ever had. Absolutely no question. Nutty, caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, cherries and some bourbon heat all come a-calling.

It's all there in the taste. I'm also picking up grape skins, toffee and marshmallow. The only detractor this beer has right now is it's heat. I think that in a few months, this could be my favorite beer of all time.

At 13.7%, drinkablilty suffers... but you don't go through your stash of this beer willy-nilly. You savor this, sip by mother loving sip. Standing effing ovation, Pelican!

11-09-2009 00:31:05 | More by rudylaw