Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Wants: 1,443
Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +3.1%

Finally got around to rating this delicious beer. Previously split a bottle with a friend a few weeks ago. We split another with 2 others tonite.This is unlike any other barleywine I have had.

A- Poured with limited bubbles and they disappeared quickly from the glass. Very dark, beautiful beer. Swirled nicely in our Dogfish Head brandy glasses, and left a nice coating.

S- Wow, this is bourbon! Beautiful woodsy, bourbon barrel smell. Lots of alcohol scents. We couldn't help but continue to swirl our glasses to get more of the scent wafting up our noses.

T- Again, not like any barleywine I have ever tasted. It had characteristics of a imperial stout, some barleywine, english strong ale and bourbon.

M- Wow again. Lots of alcohol flavors. Carbonation went quickly away as we continued to drink our glass. But who needs that when you have a delicious sipping/after dinner/dessert beer? Sweet flavors continued to come through.

D- A must share with friends. Enjoy a bottle with two people or more.

This is a great beer. Didn't rate it the highest because I don't think this is a traditional barleywine but extremely enjoyable.

chief7771, Nov 24, 2009

This is the 2009 vintage. Thanks Mike!

This is my first review, and what a beer to kick it off with!

Pouring this beer into my glass reminds me of that vanilla cherry dr pepper a little bit with all the smells. I can definitely smell the bourbon and malts too. It looks like a dark brown color. The foam settles quickly and all thats left is a nice set of intersecting carbonated bubbles rising up the edge of the glass.

The taste of the beer is just like the smell - very thick and chewy and just the right amount of carbonation. I taste nuts, bread, sweet dark fruits.

This is easy to drink. High ABV not a concern. It's actually a little dry swallowing with a nice warmth. Well balanced.

Parts of this beer reminds me of the Central Waters bourbon barrel barleywine but more complex, brewed in my state. If I could find another bottle of this, I'd love to do a side by side tasting with that.

MysterySwirl, Nov 17, 2009

2009 vintage-

Poured this into my Delirium Tremens tulip snifter. Was hit with the pleasant smell of vanilla, bourbon, caramels and the tan lacing quickly dissipated into a nice little ring of lacing. When I swirl my glass, I'm reminded of this beer's thickness. Damn - this is a hell of a BA Barleywine. *Just had it again and I honestly can say this is the BEST smelling beer I have ever had. If we had to score this based on smell the Perfect Storm would be number one.

It's very dark brownish ruby color but-crimson like through the edges when I hold my glass to the light. So smooth - malty, dark fruits, bready, caramel. Carbonation teases my tongue and cheeks when I swirl it around. The ABV is warming and the taste is dryer on the finish but SO drinkable. It's like drinking pure goodness!

World class - that's for sure. Lives up to the hype and belongs where it is now. I wish I had more of this than the 3 bottle I have left because I can only imagine how this is going to taste in a year or two.

kunstdrache, Nov 16, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

2009 Vintage (aged in 1998 Evan Williams barrels).

A: Deep rudy-brown body. Bordeaux like on the edges when held to the light. Lively carbonation forms a fizzy, coca-cola like khaki head. Rises to about an inch before crashing rapidly. No lacing to speak of.

S: Rich bourbon, soft oak, warm caramel, sweet vanilla, roasted brown sugar, molasses and hints of raisin. There are lots of elements coming together here in harmony. Sweet, yet not cloying or desert like.

T: The sweet caramel, brown sugar and molasses dominates. Accentuated by substantial, yet not overwhelming, bourbon. The barrels imparts a nice delicate oak/vanilla character. You can tell that this beer is the product of both an excellent base beer and nice bourbon barrels with a good amount of age on them.

M: There is lively carbonation throughout the entire bomber. Imparting a hefty, yet not massive mouthfeel. Creamy. Perhaps a bit oily. Nice lingering bourbon "burn" in the finish.

D: Immensely drinkable. Easily the best barleywine available. Looking forward to trying this each year.

callmemickey, Nov 15, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a very dark brown in color. A little froth around the edges, but not a whole lot of head going on.
Smell is huge malts, a little toffee and just a hint of alcohol in the backend.
Taste is incredibly smooth, some slight fruits and a bit of alcohol heat in the finish. This beer is absolutely outstanding. The drinkability on this beer is unbelievable. The abv is barely noticeable in the beer.
The mouthfeel is untouchable in this beer. I know this beer comes in at 13.5%, but everytime I take a sip I want to drink the whole thing.
I love this beer.

FtownThrowDown, Nov 14, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Ahh, I have been waiting a long time to get a chance to try this beer. Poured from a bottle into my Bruery tulip. Thanks, Ben.

I was taken aback by the brew from the instant it poured from the bottle. A very dark but clear deep reddish amber color, very, very attractive for the style. A thin tan head develops, but quickly dissipates. Nice.

The moment you pop the cap the aromas explode on you. Bourbon is paramount here, but underneath are layers of brown sugar, toffee, alcohol, and just a hint of dark fruit. I'm thinking plum.

Taste is excellent. Again, the barrel aging is very obvious here, with the bourbon playing a big role. Taste follows the nose - sweet caramel, brown sugar, with a nice alcoholic zing at the end. Maybe some nuttiness on the finish too, which is interesting and unexpected. Only reason that it's not a perfect 5 here is because I think the bourbon could be slightly more mellow (but only slightly). This will age very well - a year in the cellar might make this a perfect score.

Mouthfeel doesn't get any better for a barleywine. The slight carbonation is perfect, and the beer is viscous and chewy. Outstanding.

You know, I don't care that this is 13% alcohol. I think that I could sip on this beer all night and never, ever get tired of it. I might pass out, but it would be totally worth it. If this beer was on the shelves, I would have it stocked all-the-freaking time.

Perhaps the best English barleywine I have had the pleasure of drinking.

davod23, Nov 14, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -1.3%

Had two pours of this last night at the South Bay Drugs Bottle Tasting. This was had in the same night as BA Speedway, BA Numbskull, Black Tuesday, and Black Ops. This is not a stout, yes, but the barrel-aged nature of it certainly lends a similar bourbon character.

Appearance: Certainly nothing remarkable or indicative of a "world class" beer status. Don't mean that in a negative way, just in a you-don't-know-what's-coming way. Slight reddish hue in a brown-orange beer with a relatively little tannish crown.

Smell: Raisins, bourbon-rum, malty, sugary sweetness and some booze coming through. A very, very pleasing aroma.

Taste: I was slightly let down from what I've heard, but still very powerful. Rum-raisin, brown sugar, with the big bourbon notes coming through. It's certainly a complex beer, but she needs a little time in a cellar to mellow the tastes out a bit. Huge potential here for sure.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick, and relatively mild in the bitterness department. Bourbony finish is very solid as well.

Drinkability: I think it drinks right around the ABV. Side-by-side with the other barrel-aged classics though, it just didn't stand out to me in the same way. Then again, give this a year or two to mellow out some boozy sweetness and I could easily see this sliding into that tier.

nomomentwasted, Nov 13, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

Latest 2009 vintage

A: Dark Ruby, a quick swirl exposes a light tan head that dissipates quickly.

S: Bourbon, Alcohol, brown sugar, cake.

T: Bourbon, oak, Vanilla, slightly fruity, not overly hot... delicious!

M: Thick and chewy with pleasant carbonation.

D: Was expecting this to be boozy and sweet with alot of heat. Surprisingly it was very well balanced and complex but never cloying. Kinda reminds me of Bourbon Barrel Angel's Share but chewier and actually carbonated. A definite sipper, but what a fantastic beer. One of the best barreled barleywines I've had.

LilMatrix, Nov 12, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks Shane.

Pours a glowing, translucent brown with some ruddy, ruby-esque highlights. A small light tan head of maybe a half an inch to an inch, surprising considering the brew's abv. Very attractive.

Smells glorious. Absolutely splendiferous. Rich warming bourbon, supple caramel, a bit of coconut and vanilla, some .. wood? ... notes brown sugar and candied cake, along with toffee and roasted marshmallows. Really sublime, with two dozen things going on at once. Maybe even a hint of dark fruit.

Tastes very good. A really great melding of strong boubon flavors with a complex backing. The bourbon comes through more strongly in the flavor than the aroma. The coconut, vanilla and ... dark chocolate ...? take more of a center stage along with the luscious bourbon, and the brown sugar, toffee, and caramel provide a delicious sweet backbone. The barrel also give a slight woodsy/earthy flavor to it. I do wish that it had a touch less bourbon, but it's a small complaint considering all that was going on.

Chewy, thick mouthfeel. Quite an achievement. Considering the ABV, very drinkable.

Overlord, Nov 12, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -1.3%

Opened this one with HopHead84 upon landing in San Diego last Thursday. What a beer to start the weekend with. 2009 vintage.

The beer pours a dark reddish-brown, and sits in the glass nearly opaque with a finger of tan head. When held to the light, it has a beautiful crimson hue with perfect clarity.

The aroma is earthy, woody, leathery. There's a bit of tobacco and some noticeable oxidation in the form of sherry with just a hint of soy sauce. There's a bit of boozy heat from the barrel as well, along with caramel and a touch of toasted coconut.

Opens on the palate with moderate malty sweetness, light fruity esters, boozy bourbon, fruitcake and a touch of roastiness. The body is medium-full; this isn't overly rich or sweet as some barleywines can be. The mid-palate brings out more heat and some pleasant oxidation - soy sauce, sherry, and some oaky vanilla. The finish is tannic and dry with a light bitterness.

Drinkability is good for a 13.5% barleywine. While it's very rich, it's not especially cloying and the complexity keeps it interesting throughout.

largadeer, Nov 10, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +2%

2009

A - Pours a ruby tinted root beer stream with a short lived dark tan head that recedes to nothing. Only a few sips in, but no lace. The appearance should be a 4, but I'm adjusting it to bump the taste to ~5.

S - Damn this smells great. As I started pouring this I could smell the sweet sweet bourbon. Fantastic toffee, raisins, oak, vanilla, and I think some nuts?

T - Thick brown sugar, vanilla, and rum soaked raisins. This is freakin' delicious, and is making a great dessert night cap. I might be crazy, but it reminds me of Nutella a little bit...

M/D - There really isn't much of an alcohol presence, but I also enjoy a glass of good bourbon. The mouthfeel is awesome; oily and coats your whole mouth with light carbonation. It's a sipper, but one I seriously can't put down.

xpimptastikx, Nov 10, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +8.7%

Shared courtesy of mykie73, thanks dude

L) Pours with little head, tiny bubbles around the glass which show the light carbonation. Brown to amber almost transparent. Looks yummy

S) huge toffee notes, bourbon, syrup, oak. Smells yummy.

T) light sweetness, bourbon and oak like the smell a little hot but still awesome. Tastes yummy.

M) Perfect, the light carbonation does wonders not to thick not to thin. A somewhat dry finish. Yummy again

D) Perfect again, it is strong but it is a barrel aged barleywine. I could sip this all night long.

A overall great beer that should be seeked out by any barleywine lover.

ipafool, Nov 10, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +2%

Shared with Dave & Joe for NBS. Served in a mini-pint glass.

A - A finger of dark tan/mocha foam that dissipates to a thick ring and leaves a bit of light film. Transparent ruby red-brown body that really glows when held to the light. Not much in the way of lace, but still quite impressive for such a high-gravity brew.

S - The smell is a wonderful combination of toasted marshmallow, light coconut, milk chocolate, burnt brown sugar, a bit of wood, and a touch of grape/raisin flavor that I tend to get more from old ales (like Papier). The booze and bourbon are extremely understated, especially compared to something like Barrel-Aged Behemoth.

T - The taste isn't quite as complex, with more roastiness and tannic bite - there's still some chocolate and sugar, but there's also some multi-grain bread qualities bouncing around. Finishes with a lot of tannins and barrel, as well as some roastiness, but it's not overly bitter or astringent. Pretty good - should probably be closer to 4.25 at this stage.

M - The mouthfeel is wonderful. Big and chewy, viscous, full bodied, with a dry finish that has only a touch of residual stickiness. Light carbonation tingle that keeps things from getting too syrupy and heavy, but not harsh either.

D - I keep sipping this one. It's very mellow considering the ABV. That said, the aftertaste does get a touch fatiguing - I don't think I'd ever have more than a bottle in one sitting. I think I like Abacus a little more, but this didn't disappoint either.

MasterSki, Nov 09, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

A case of this arrived on Friday from Portland. Best thing I've ever had from the Pacific Northwest!

Pours a dark ruby red/chestnut brown with a small head that recedes into a thin rim. Looks stately in my tulip class!

This is easily the best smelling beer I've ever had. Absolutely no question. Nutty, caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, cherries and some bourbon heat all come a-calling.

It's all there in the taste. I'm also picking up grape skins, toffee and marshmallow. The only detractor this beer has right now is it's heat. I think that in a few months, this could be my favorite beer of all time.

At 13.7%, drinkablilty suffers... but you don't go through your stash of this beer willy-nilly. You savor this, sip by mother loving sip. Standing effing ovation, Pelican!

rudylaw, Nov 09, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -17%

Bottle shared by Eric. Thanks! Pours dark amber with off white color. Aroma is oak, booze, and rubbing alcohol. Viscous mouthfeel. Flavor was dark fruit, vanilla, oak, bourbon, and finished with a rubbing alcohol aftertaste. This beer might be too green at this point. It was just hard to sip because of the rubbing alcohol aftertaste. It was tough. Shared originally Sept. 1, 2009.

fiver29, Nov 09, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

Purchased a case of 2009 Perfect Storm and received it in the mail 11/2/09. Opened the first one on 11/7/09 to celebrate the birth of my daughter born 11/5/09. I really worked up this brew in my head because of all the reviews I read and the attractive appearance and color of the beer.

When I cracked the top the smell was of raisins and bourbon. The bottle was pretty cold (maybe 40f) so I took one sip cold and then let it warm up. The initial reaction was that tastes dang good, but to cold to taste the spectrum of flavors.

After warming up I started enjoying it in my snifter. Flavors consisted of oak, bourbon, raisins, caramel/toffee, maybe fig?
Definitely a top notch beer. Strong, dominating flavor, great carbonation. I think the alcohol was a little hot still in the bottle and will get better with aging.

This was a great beer, but I keep on thinking afterwards that I've had some that are better. Namely the Abyss, Berserker, Canadain Breakfast Stout, Cherry Adam, Matt etc. This is definitely a beer that should remain in the top 25-50 brews available world wide.

northwestmark, Nov 08, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a very dark burgundy color with a small tan head.

Scent of rich sugars, sweet bourbon, chocolate, oatmeal, a hint of raspberry, and faint alcohol. Nice complexity, but not quite perfect.

Taste of strong bourbon, molasses, chocolate, a bit of alcohol, dark fruit, and sugars. The bourbon flavor is quite powerful and lasts long into the finish and the alcohol adds a nice heat.

Mouthfeel is heavy and oily with a small bite of carbonation.

paco1029384756, Nov 08, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +9.4%

22 oz. bottle purchased at Pelican on release day.

A - Dark brown with seductive reddish hues... little to no head. Coats glass when swirled.

S - Nice nose with promise of dark fruits, bourbon, oak .

T - Bourbon, coconut, marshmallow, vanilla, dark fruits...just luscious

M - chewy, coating viscous mouthfeel...

D - contemplative sipper...just the way I like them.

This is an exceptional beer.

hannont, Nov 08, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +7.2%

22oz bomber, 2009 vintage, poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep, clear copper with a short-lived cap of big bubbles that recedes to a small collar and leaves very little lacing, though there are boozy legs down the glass after each sip.

The aroma is massive and has plenty of bourbon sweetness and alcohol burn in the nose which mixes well with the sugary caramel malt and dark fruit in the nose.

The underlying caramel malts are the first thing I notice with some toffee and dark fruits. There is definitely plenty of bourbon especially in the finish where there is a noticeable burn in the throat. Overall, it's like a caramel and chocolate dessert with raisins and plums soaked in bourbon.

The mouthfeel is stunning, one of the best I've ever felt, like velvet. It's smooth with ample, but soft, carbonation and slightly dry and woody in the finish with a sweet bourbon presence on the palate as well.

I wasn't sure what to expect on this one. I saw everyone raving about it but just figured it wouldn't live up to the hype. Well, it lives up to the hype. It's a wonderful beer that drinks fairly easily for the high ABV. The bourbon is strong right now and I think this one becomes even better with time. Superb.

gford217, Nov 08, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -1.8%

22oz bomber with a bling-esk gold foil top poured into my newly acquired Darkness snifter.

A - Pours black with a super-fizzy head that quickly vanishes right after I complete the first pour. A few stray bubbles here and there, but otherwise, it's just complete darkness (in the Darkness snifter...okay, not funny).

S - Amazing nose. Plums, raisins, cherries, oak/wood, bourbon, roasted malts, brown sugar. So sweet but yet all meld together perfectly. The bourbon is there, no doubt about it, but it's not so in-your-face as to not appreciate all the other things going on with this one.

T - Not quite as sweet as the nose suggests. Dark fruits, roasted malts, dark chocolate. Lots of bourbon on the palate, but it doesn't kick you in the face as bad as I thought it would. ..it's very smooth. Some alcohol burn on the way down but hey, it's 13.5%, so what was I suppose to expect? Bitter hoppy dark chocolate finish. Whew, I'm getting the sweats putting this one down. This is one BIG beer.

M - Medium to full bodied. The carbonation tingles a bit but quickly smoothes out and engulfs the palate. Pretty dry on the finish. Just like motor oil, only better!

D - The alcohol is hidden pretty darn well, if I do say so myself. It's a sipper, no doubt about it, but probably one of the best (if not THE best) BA Barleywines I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. Right there with Wooden Hell, IMO

This beer is going to be near perfect with a couple of years in the cellar.

Sean9689, Nov 07, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Very dark ruby body with a 1/4 inch coffee head that doesn't stick around to long.

S - Fruity and caramel up front with a solid bourbon nose mixed in. Some vanilla and oak is also noticeable.

T - Lots of bourbon flavor and a little burn but very little for an almost 14% abv. It is pretty rich and intense.

M - Thick body with a meduim body.

D - Very enjoyable but a sipper for sure.

midaszero, Nov 07, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +3.8%

A- Pours a very dark, reddish brown with a small brown head that fades quickly.

S- Very oaky, deep bourbon notes, brown sugar, caramel, hints of toffee.

T- Dark fruits up front, fig and plum followed by a wave of bourbon, brown sugar and faint piney hops.

M- Thick with medium carbonation.

D- Extremely drinkable for a beer this big. So well rounded. The strong and complex malt presence complemented perfectly by an equal wave of bourbon on the back end.

Lothore, Nov 07, 2009

Appearance - Very dark in color with a reddish tint to it. The head fizzled away very quickly. Good amount of carbination.

Smell - At first it smelled very fruity to me, but then the toffee/syrupy smell came on strong with hints of bourbon. Right at the end it really reminds me of a raw dough smell heh. The smell is great and very strong, I could smell it as soon as I popped the cap.

Taste - The toffee and the caramel really shine through in the taste along with the alcohol.

Mouthfeel - It is quite fizzy which I like.

Drinkability - Goes down alright, think it would go great with a hardy meal of some sorts.

Edit for 2010 MoAS

Much of the same as the last year, but more vanilla/marshmellow flavor and smell. I'd say this years is better and one of the best beers out there. So I am giving a 5. The drinkability is insane consider the ABV.

yuriruley, Nov 06, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Consumed on 11/6/2009 and poured into a snifter. Thanks to largadeer for opening the bottle. The beer appears deep crimson when held to light with good clarity. The wispy head is one finger and a light toffee color.

The nose is outstanding, and it reminds me of...M. When I stuck my nose in the glass I immediately thought of the famed Midnight Sun beer. I'm greeted by strong vanilla and spicy oak notes. Bourbon is very well integrated in the nose. I detect dates and a hint of roast. The nose is boozy but it's fitting. Caramel and toffee are strong in the nose, and there's a touch of sherry-like and soy sauce oxidization, as well as a distinct earthy quality. Beautiful.

The beer opens sweet with strong vanilla, toffee, and caramel notes. Oak adds a touch of spiciness. Bitterness is at a medium level with that same earthy quality I found in the flavor. Bourbon is well integrated, providing complexity while not dominating. Alcohol heat hints at a beer below 10%, rather than the high 13.5%. The fruit component is reminiscent of dates. The beer finishes refreshingly dry with some noticeable heat and a whisper of soy sauce and sherry. The beer has a low level of carbonation that works very well. This is a top notch -bal aged English Barleywine. I can't recommend it enough. This beer is a prime candidate for aging, too.

HopHead84, Nov 06, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

Alas, I have been waiting to try this beer for a while.

Back story.... Purchased three of the first batch one year ago on an educated gamble (educated because Pelican is awesome; gamble because it was expensive and purchased in a mall kiosk); traded 2 of them, cellared one. All in the mean time, I have been watching the hype for this beer grow from afar, while my one remaining bottle has been tormenting me.

2009 served around 50-55ish degrees into a snifter. shared with MrMike or ipAfool

L) head is none existent--tiny bubbles cascade upwards (if the verb "cascade" can be used in an uphill motion) towards the side of the glass showing it's good carbonation. beautiful deep, dark brown-maroon while staying transparent despite color. not cloudy at all. looks amazing besides the lack of head.

L) toffee...lots of toffee, maple syrup, currants, raisons, vanilla, oak, sweet bourbon. a little bit of heat on end. There is a lot going on. As others have mentioned, smells like its going to be sweet and syrup-like...

T) ...and not as sweet as it smells. chocolate covered raisins (raisinets), vanilla yogurt covered raisins (goat berries), toffee, caramel, and bourbon... delicious bourbon. bourbon is dominant but does not overpower or offend; like three exclamation points at the end of a poetic sentence!!! (okay...bad example).

F) what a barleywine should be...not thin, not overly thick...just perfect.. chewy and has a dry finish. Tremendous coating of mouth with an aftertaste that lingers harmoniously; I want it to be my saliva.

D) This beer should never be on drought...at least not without a limit...because I fear I will not stop drinking it. insanely drinkable do to dry finish... worth the price tag. My roommate watched an entire episode and a half of project runway and I didn't move...I didn't look up...I didn't care...I just had a shit-eating-grin on my face starring at this masterpiece. I was lost in this beer... and I did not want to find a way out.

1998 Evan Williams Bourbon barrels and Pelican Stormwatchers Winterfest barleywine is truly is a perfect storm.

mykie73, Nov 06, 2009