Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Wants: 1,447
Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -6.1%

Sampled this courtesy of bret27 at the central coast BA gathering last night. Thanks a lot Bret!

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: A very small pile of khaki foam is all I got for head off the pour. It quickly dissipated to a thin halo. Body is clear, but very dark: deep reddish brown with shades of ruby. Looks very syrupy. I don't see any carbonation.

Smell: Cereal, toasted grains, caramel, bourbon, oak syrup, and brown sugar. Very sweet and sugary, but the light toastiness and hints of bourbon do a lot for this smell. Not as deep or complex as I had hoped, but unique.

Taste: Brown sugar, caramel, sweet oak and bourbon, a touch of pine, and even... roasted malt? Lots of residual sugars in here, but it's less sweet than all other English barleywines I've had (many of which I find to be unbearably sweet). Once again, unique. More complex than the aroma. I dig.

Mouthfeel: Oily, full, gritty, and awesome! Not too hot, not too dry. Lightly carbonated, syrupy, and rich.

Drinkability: English barleywine is certainly not my favorite style, but I can see why this one stands out. I think the sweetness would overwhelm me after a while, but as ~4oz. sample this was great.

ThreeWiseMen, Jan 25, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +7.9%

Reviewed at hoppymcgee's tasting 1/16. '09 vintage. 3oz. pour into a 8oz. pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours no head and leaves no lacing but on-par with the style. Almost seemed flat as a pancake... beer is a deep, stunning, almost opaque amber.

S: Cherry, oak notes, a bit boozy, vanilla, and a strong shot of sherry. Caramel and brown sugar are also present, this one is an assault on the senses.

T: Opens sweet and boozy. A very deep malt backbone is apparent. A bit spicy, quite hot, with a touch of sweet soy sauce. This drinks like an imperial stout... also a bit pruny and the oaky sherry presence dominates towards the end.

M: Medium to full bodied, spicy and hot. This one is slightly coarse in thew mouth but smoothes out over time. More carbonated than I expected. Finish is sweet and sticky, leaving a lasting impression.

D: This is the king of barleywines. Incredibly balanced with a mouthfeel to match and integrate the complexity that is this beer. Seek it out. The hype is well-deserved here. A joy to have and one I'll definitely be seeking out in the future.

SpeedwayJim, Jan 17, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -24%

Pours a deep dark mahogony with amber hues and very little to no head. Not a great looking barleywine, but a decent looking beer. The smell is fantastic. super complex with vanilla, bourbon, toffee, caramel, brown sugar, and sweet dark fruit.

The taste of this beer was a big disappointment, given the high overall BA rating and the aromas eminating from my glass. There are still the toffee, caramel, bourbon and brown sugar flavors, but none of them blend very well. The alcohol is SUPER-hot, and the barrel aging has not done well for this beer. Again, super-hot alcohol throughout, and a dry, bitter aftertaste that does not compel you to drink more. 3+ years would do wonders for this beer.

The mouthfeel is nice and thick, but there is very little carbonation and it is way too hot all around. I'm glad I split this, because it would have taken me a few hours to finish a bottle by myself.

Give this one at least three years and maybe it will be worthy of its BA rating.

jdklks, Jan 12, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -19.1%

The bourbon barrel scars this brew with a brownish hue. The barley wine looks like it started off with a great dark golden color, but the bourbon stains the color to make the finish with a hazy brown heart and darker golden edges. Has a bit of white head, but it leaves pretty fast. Alcoholic legs are fairly thick.

The smell has sweet malt sugars and bourbon. Oak, and cherries with vanilla. Oak and bourbon are very strong, giving the overall smell a 'hot' aspect.

The taste has characters of vanilla, cherries and dark fruits, with oak and bourbon. Lots of malt sugars that make it sweet, tastes like this is already aged over a year. The beer and the barrel come together very well, with the barrel being a bit of a larger character. It did not start off for me very ABV strong, but towards the end of the bottle it was a bit rough. I was picking up the oak and bourbon more and more and the balance was starting to fade. Very enjoyable, but maybe aged in oak a bit too long?

The mouthfeel was good, but towards the end started to get very hot. This damaged the drinkability a great deal, and made the last glass full a challenge. Maybe a 8 oz pour into a brandy snifter would be perfect for me. A full 22oz bomber, even shared, was a bit much.

J

Jmoore50, Jan 10, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -2.7%

Shared by jedwards and served in my 25cl Allagash tulip. Poured a deep brown with red highlights that were revealed from each angle and rotation of the glass. Loose, white head quickly dissipates into barely a swirl. Incredible nose - malty, sugary sweet, toffee, butterscotch, a little booze, molasses, prunes and perhaps a little breadiness. Taste follows nose - sugary sweet with the addition of some caramel, vanilla and coconut. Mouthfeel is medium with a lively carbonation. Definitely a little booziness in this, but a big, bold and delicious beer. However, closer to an American Strong than an English barleywine in my humble opinion.

Jwale73, Jan 10, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 bottle. Deep mahogany pour with bright ruby highlights and no head. The aroma is Musty bourbon and caramelized dates rounded out with a hint of vanilla and charred oak. The flavor is awesome rich, buttery caramel with notes of fig, vanilla, an accent of char and smoke, and milk chocolate. It finishes with a nice little alcohol kick. The body is sticky and full with low carbonation.

punkrkr27, Jan 07, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -1.6%

I had the opportunity to sit down and drink this exceptional brew with one of the Pelican's brewers. As a deschutes loyalist from Bend, Oregon, I had lowered expectations going in from the beginning (abyss or bust). When the gentleman first explained the process of brewing The Perfect storm, I was very intrigued.
I wanted to see the color first, though. It was absolutely beautiful. Even more so then The Abyss.
This elegant, yet slightly scary beer poured beautifully. Right out of the bottle, Chilled to perfection, I will admit to anyone that the beer was one of the best tasting brews I have ever had. But as time passed, mind you this beer is to be drunken slowly, it began to warm up slightly. and as it happened, i could definitely taste the strong alcohol nodes. This was, other than the price, the beers only turn off.
Given time, I know this beer will mature into something amazing. but for now, it is only exceptional.

iheartpnwbrew, Jan 06, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle, foiled top, 09 release. HUGE thanks to MasterSki for breaking this one out a few weeks back, huge want.

Pours a clear dark ruby red, some brown, very thick tan head forms, huge and chunky, settles down to a thick ring, some lace spots stick, legs on the glass, looks great.

Smell is insane, tons of oak and vanilla, bourbon, brandy, huge toffee notes, butterscotch, coconut, lots of raisin and dark fruit, lightly spicy, alcohol, this is intense.

Taste is similar, huge toffee and brown sugar sweetness, vanilla, bourbon and brandy, alcohol, dark fruit, raisin, butterscotch, more vanilla, more bourbon and alcohol in the finish, supremely malty.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation, some big warmth going down but I would expect no less. This stuff is serious, huge rich malts in the one, amazing. Thanks Alex!

Viggo, Jan 04, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +7.4%

Big thanks goes out to my boy in Washington for getting to try this. This has been a want of mine for a loooong time now, and finally I got to try the new batch. Split this with my girlfriend and roommate. Drumroll...here goes...

A: Opens with a nice muffled hiss and the ghostly smoke climbs out of the bottle. Pours a nice, deep mahagony brown with a khaki head. The head is, I would say, half a finger and recedes to a ring. Slightly sticky and creamy. Georgous.

S: Whoa. Bourbon hits you hard, but in a very good way. Nice spicy bourbon, caramel, toffee, and chocolate rise nicely. There are also hints of fruits (raisins?) perhaps, but the bourbon, caramel and toffee are the majority.

T: This is great. Smooth bourbon and caramel with bittersweet toffee and melted bitter chocolate. The caramel blends so great with the fresh bourbon. There is a slight heat that warms you, but nothing distracting at all.

M/D: Creamy, smooth, warming, delicious. Just great.

I am glad I got to try this beer and am lucky I have a good WA BA friend who gave me another to age. Thanks!

treyrab, Jan 04, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a sinister black color with orange highlights; nice color. Just a smattering of brown head fizzes and then dies atop a half glass of Perfect Storm, as expected. Taking an initial whiff from the bottle, I'm already struck by a powerful blast of bourbon, oak, chocolate, and dead leaves, aromas that I continue to smell after I pour out a few ounces. The aroma is everything I want from a barleywine, with the unique, brawny booze and oak presence lurking at the edges. After a while, the smell becomes a little port-like-- very sweet and a little grapey

Sipping amplifies the bourbon, chocolate, and caramel notes, and vanilla and fruit (cherry, orange peel) flavors are added. Some hot alcohol washes in at mid-sip and brings a segue to a rather spicy finish. It's taking me a while to process everything I taste, perhaps because of the sheer intensity of all aspects of Perfect Storm. I don't taste as much oak, but bourbon is pretty upfront.

Mouthfeel is medium-full in body with a syrup-like consistency. My mouth is left tingling after each sip, and now and then the alcohol threatens to become overwhelming after a sip. This is a slow drinker, and I can see I'll be taking a couple hours to polish off the bomber. I guess I can't complain too much about drinkability, even given the sometimes intense aspects-- it's a bourbon barrel-aged English barleywine, after all, and it is what it is.

All told, Perfect Storm is a really great barleywine, perhaps near Midnight Sun Arctic Devil for among the best I've tried. I think some age would have bumped it to #1, as about all I can ding the beer for is a little harshness in taste and feel from the alcohol/bourbon flavors.

Riccymon, Jan 03, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +4%

Bottle courtesy of thirdeye11.

2009 vintage. Pours brown with a very small tan head. Aroma is strong oak and bourbon. The flavor is complex, with vanilla, bourbon, chocolate and roasted malt. Medium mouthfeel and very drinkable. This beer didn't disappoint.

Mora2000, Dec 31, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +4%

On tap at the brewpub today.

Like the bottled version, PS pours a dark brown color, but with fair at best head retention and a decent amount of sticky lacing all around. The nose on this BW is really impressive, with a considerable amount of brown sugar, toffee, chocolate, milk duds and vanilla. As good as this beer smells, it tastes even better. If anything, the flavor profile is more intense then the aroma profile, and this beer has almost a gooey sweet, soft creamy mouthfeel. This is like eating/drinking the essense of BW nougat. Also, there are some wonderful dark fruits in the flavor profile, something I don't recall being all that prevelant in the bottled version. Otherwise, the beer is exceptionally soft, plush and creamy... yummm! This beer does seem a bit boozy, but at 13.5%, that's hardly a surprise. Like the sweetness in this beer, it's not at all intrusive, and is something that I suspect will dissipate over time (and as I have another 3 bottles, I'll get to find out!). Drinkability is pretty good considering the abv., though needless to say, a little bit goes a long way. Also, although this beer is pretty sweet, it's not over the top and is, I think, perfect for the style.

One of the best young BW's I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. The draft version seemed a bit more mature then the bottled version, though I'm sure it will improve over time as well. Otherwise, I can't say I found all that much difference between the draft version and the bottled version. In any event, very, very impressive.

John_M, Dec 29, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

2009 Vintage

Pour an oxidized/rust brown, but perfectly translucent. Smells of Werther's caramel, a touch of Werther's chocolate, toasted pecans, a touch of bourbon and wood, perhaps lightly roasted coffee... list could go on and on. Basically, it was like smelling an exceptional sherry that changed in the glass over time. Phenomenal.

A bit of heat and tannic wood, which gives taste and drinkability as the only small knocks I gave this beer. Perfectly carbonated upon opening--but even after letting it run still in my glass over a couple hours, I continue to be fascinated by this one. Truly an exceptional beer that I can't wait to try again a few years down the road.

Worth seeking out for fans of English barleywines.

jwjon1, Dec 28, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

They don't ever let you go. Crawling
through your mind and holding on to every bit of you, the blood
looks black in the glass, black in the glass, but red
oh so ruby red, so beautiful a red
and a cap, a froth, the boiling of those that cannot forget their anger
their pain, the clear, perfect clear, boiling, black ruby red blood.
And mahogany. And legs. A lot of legs.

The reeling, reeling through your brain, of oak and of bourbon...
the nightmare. the nightmare of darkness, of forgetting who you are, losing yourself,
of endless nights filled with bourbon, the wood, oak-tree, white pepper.
searing alcohol, the bourbon, fire-water, reeling firewater, complexities.
almond, almond, burnt sugar, and the hazelnuts of last year, in the cold
with a hammer.
sugar cookies. the sugar cookies of yesteryear, and the dark firewater
I wish he hadn't, but it tastes so good
the bourbon, the bourbon, drink it down, and bitter
and candied, caramelized sugar, and hot alcohol
the nuttiness, I've forgotten, I forgot...what was it?
syrup. there it was. my head...
they're coming. it never lets you go. never. the bourbon will kill you,
the fire-water, they're running...
thick. syrup. warm. hot. the bourbon. my head.
light carbonation, and hazelnut. yes.
yes yes.
hazelnut bourbon.
and pepper.

my head.

khiasmus, Dec 22, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -4.5%

Bottle of the '09 release generously shared by bmanning at a tasting in November 2009.

A: Pours a dark caramel with nice light tan head and lacing.

S: The initial whiff brings forward quite a bit of bourbon and alcohol. Underneath there is caramel, wood, vanilla, toffee, and a bit of dark fruits.

T: Again, the first taste brings forward tons of hot bourbon. The underlying flavors are all quite nice and complex, but it takes a while to sort through the hotness of it all. This is what keeps it down at a 4.0, although I could see an aged version of this absolutely creeping up to a 4.5 or even a 5.0, depending on how the heat recedes.

M: Even though this is fairly hot, the complexity is outstanding, begging me to slowly chew every sip of the beer.

D: This was a hard one to put down; sip after sip news things are developing. Would love to try this down the line with some more age on it.

Thorpe429, Dec 21, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +4%

A big thanks to t0rin0 for sharing a bottle of this with me.

A: The pour is a dark, dark brown with some nice reddish highlights. The head is mild in volume and tan in color.

S: There is a surprising amount of chocolate (oxidation) in the aroma, but it works quite well. The usual suspects of caramel, toffee, vanilla, and dark fruit are there as well, along with some oak.

T: Like the aroma, there is a ton of chocolate to this beer--something I don't normally expect from a barleywine. The sweet, malty flavors, dark fruits, and barrel contributions (vanilla and a nice oaky flavor) make this amazingly complex. I just had to give it a 5.

M: Very nice and smooth. The carbonation is quite low, and the body is incredibly full.

D: The only place that this beer takes a bit of a hit. This shouldn't be surprising, however. But despite being 13.5% alcohol, it is surprisingly drinkable.

I've not been the hugest barleywine fan in the past, but this beer has changed my perception of the style. Absolutely fantastic.

womencantsail, Dec 21, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +1.8%

09 release

Poured into Carolous chalice.

Pours a layer of tan head. Fades to a ring around the edge of the glass fast. Color is a dark ruby hued chocolate brown.

Aroma: vanilla, oak, bourbon, chocolate, caramel, earthy hops, very complex. Amazing.

Taste: Bourbon, vanilla, and oak up front. A nice amount of hops to balance it out. Caramel with light chocolate. Dark fruit notes. A fantastic b-wine.

Mouthfeel: creamy, smooth, but a little too hot. Pretty full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends malty and hot with dark fruit flavors.

Overall, a fantastic b-wine. One of the best in the style. A little hot. I think this one will get better with age on it and then I will reevaluate the score. I can't wait to try it again

mothman, Dec 21, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to corby and Gillard for this one. I have been lucky enough to have it twice in the past month.

A: Pours a nice deep shade of brown with amber highlights. Medium tan head leaves behind some nice thick spotty lace.

S: Nice sweet malt notes. Tons of caramel, brown sugar, and toffee. Bourbon soaked apples with hints of oak, and vanilla.

T: Same as aroma. Wonderful malt sweetness, with the bourbon providing a great compliment.

M: Full in body, rich, smooth, creamy, EXCELLENT!

D: A damn fine brew, one I could sip on for hours.

tpd975, Dec 20, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -0.4%

Shared with Reed415 while getting our kronk on...

A--Plenty of lacing with a orange-burgandy hue.

S--Complex. So many diffent things going on. Vanilla, spice, and of course, some bourbon.

T--Tempted to give it a 5. So complex in its flavors, not too much Bourbon which I liked, it did not overpower the brew allowing its other flavors to come out. Vanilla and cinnamon for sure, figs?

D--Do to its rarity, does it matter? What I can say is this is a sipper to be enjoyed for its complex flavors and smell. Hated to see it go.

garbercury, Dec 15, 2009

22oz bottle...most recent vintage.

Pours a deep mahogany, with a small but nice looking tan head.
Aroma is magnificent, so much happening here...huge smooth bourbon notes, vanilla, toffee, wood, cinnamon, caramel and rich dark fruits. Wow the nose the very complex. Seems like each time I give it a sniff something new is coming out.
Flavor is equally impressive if not better...rich and smooth flavors of caramel, vanilla, oak and a nice spot on for the style hop presence.
Really nice full body and extremely smooth, very drinkable almost no alcohol presence. This is hands down the best barleywine I have ever had.

gregc, Dec 15, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +6.1%

22oz bottle shared at a tasting. Damn it, once again I don't remember who brought it. largadeer I believe. I swear, I am losing it.

Pours a cloudy dark brown color with a medium tan head that fades to a ring and leaves good lacing.

Aroma is caramel, bourbon, wood, toffee, dark fruit, and spice. Really pungent and awesome. A "perfect storm" of awesome aromas melding together (yes, very creative, I know).

Flavor is caramel and lots of toffee and wood, in addition to vanilla, spices, cherry raisin, fig, date, malted milk balls, and a little mildly boozy bourbon. Very complex and very, very tasty. Once again, the name of this beer is fitting.

Full body with a smooth mouthfeel, only ever so slightly boozy but very warming. Drinkability is high because it's just so damn good. Overall, this is easily one of the best barleywines I've ever tried.

nickd717, Dec 15, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to ipafool for this. Pours ruby/dark brown in color with an interesting tan head that recedes to nonexistence. Smells and tastes amazing - tons of bourbon, vanilla, toffee, raisins, dark fruits, wood, and alcoholic heat. This really is liquid toffee. Reminds me a bit of FW Abacus or FW 10. An amazing wood-aged barleywine. Body is super thick, but the carbonation slices through it to prevent syrupification. I started out the gate strong in downing this, but am hitting a wall as I near the end of the bottle, so drinkability takes a bit of a hit. Not sure why this is sold in bombers rather than 12 oz bottles, but quite a tasty brew.

waltonc, Dec 12, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +4.5%

I drank this second release from a 22.oz bottle into my Rochefort glass.

The beer is a dark brown with medium brown head that rises about 1 finger is gone quite quickly. The lacing is heavy but watery in substance is gone quickly.

The aroma is strong and complex you get bourbon, wood and vanilla right off the bat but then some nice rasian, toffee, and sadly a touch too much alcohol at the end.

This beer tastes very comples and wonderful. The front is very malty lots of raisins, then it fades to bourbon and and ton of vanilla at the end. For 13.5% you taste some alcohol but it could be a lot more.

The feel is incredibly it coats your mouth like syrup almost numbing you to the bone. This is by far the best mouthfeel ever.

Overall, I'm not a barleyfine at ALL! But this great beers may just change my mind, or just is it this beer? This beer is tasty, complex and has the best mouthfeel I've ever had. I would recommend this beer up and down all day.

jrallen34, Dec 10, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

Cannot believe I get to finally try this one, been a long time coming for sure! Served at cellar temp and poured into a snifter, this one was consumed on 12/07/2009.

The pour was fantastic, and much better then I have seen on any of the BA BW before. Rich dark brown in color with a huge head of tan that just towered over the top of the glass. Settling down smoothly and evenly it produced a thick coating of lace all along the sides of the glass. Rich vanilla and woody aromas are being picked up almost immediately. Huge notes of oak and subtle caramel and toffee and truly dominating here for sure. Warming only brings this out further, rich and decadent, sweet aromas just building off each other here. The first sip is divine, subtle, and rich and perfectly carbonated it simply rolls across the tongue with a gentleness that is unheard of. Vanilla and caramel merging with oak like notes and touches of earthy hops all working together seamlessly. I am still not sure how strong this one is, but subtleness is key here as it was barely detectable at all.

Overall this was just incredible. I had heard this was one of the best out there, but very seldom does that hold true, here it does with flying colors. One of the best, hands down I has ever had.

mikesgroove, Dec 09, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +9.7%

BA barley wines typically aren't my favorite style and after all the hype, I was really curious to see how it would hold up.

This was poured into a small snifter and the dark brown/ruby brew sat heavy with a light layer of cream colored bubbles around the edges. They dissipated quickly but small carbonation bubbles continued to rise and agitate the surface. The color was very nice but it was the aroma that let me know I was in for something special. Immediately a wave of warm bourbon and vanilla hit me followed by a light sweetness and touch of alcohol. This easily could be out of balance but to me each component mixed so delicately with one another where the combination added up to something impossibly better than the individual scents. Honestly, if they were able to create an air freshener that matched this aroma, I don't think I could ever leave my house.

If even possible, the taste was better than the aroma. Initially there's a bit of sweetness that quickly fades as the complexity sinks in. Yes, there's a lot of bourbon and vanilla and toffee, but the longer it sits in on your tongue, the more the flavors change. Whereas Wooden Hell is velvet like and overall exceptional, it seems a bit one-dimensional to me compared to the Perfect Storm. Both have outstanding bourbon flavors with a great malt backbone, but TPS just seems to have a complexity in the base beer that is so well balance that it makes sipping on it for a long time extremely enjoyable.

This easily is one of the best beers I've ever had and being the rich, intensely flavorful beer that it is, it's definitely a sipper. That being said, the light carbonation keeps it playful and the smoothness made me crave sip after sip. I went into this thinking that it would be pretty good but would most likely not live up to the hype, and I was absolutely wrong. It's exceptional and I only wish I had more.

SonicAlligator, Dec 08, 2009