2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Mother Of All StormsMother Of All Storms

Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,221 | Reviews: 392 | Show All Ratings:
Svejk

Washington

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I were watching tv, and she suggested that it was a good occasion for me to "open one of your expensive bottles of beer". Since she's a hophead, I was a little hesitant to open a $20 bottle of The Perfect Storm that we had picked up on our last vacation, but she assured me that I could open whatever I wanted and she'd do her part.

I poured her a small sample in my 2008 GABF glass, and put the rest into my pint glass. That was probably a mistake because this beer deserves your best glass.

My first impression was that I was surprised how well it was carbonated. There was a good hiss when I popped the cap, but then even a few minutes after pouring the beer, there seemed to be a lot of bubbles coming off the beer long after the head had receded.

For the most part, this is a dark beer and there is very little to notice about the color. Every once in a while, however, you'll get a glimpse of a very dark red, sort of a garnet color that lets you know that there is a clarity to the beer that isn't apparent at first glance.

The smell makes you think that this will be a very sweet, if not cloying experience. You definitely get the smell of bourbon, as well as the sweet smells of malty chocolate and vanilla. I suppose the good carbonation makes these smells seem more robust than they otherwise would without so much CO2.

My first sip was not the experience that I expected. It was a lot drier than the smell would make me think. That first sip made me re-think this beer. If it had been an overly sweet, syrupy mess, I would have thought that the smell was a perfect representation of the beer I would be drinking. Instead, this beer is very well attenuated, and the bourbon, malty chocolate and vanilla flavors are present in a much more subdued and delicious experience.

There is another thing about this beer that is worth mentioning. It has a velvety smoothness about it that could easily be masked by the harshness of its alcohol level. The brewer has done a magnificent job of balancing the sweetness with the dryness to give a beer experience that is definitely worth repeating.

This is one of those few beers that I have had that make me question if the other beers I have really loved were really that good. I can see why Pelican has decided to charge $20 per bomber. It is still a great deal, even at that price.

02-05-2009 00:01:32 | More by Svejk
rhinos00

Colorado

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter. Batch #1, Bottle 1 of 500. Split with BA Pecorasc. Huge thanks to Mychal for hooking this guy up!!!

A- Pours a dark burgundy with garnet hues throughout. Produces a fingers width of tan head, reduces to a thin layer over consumption. Some retention.

S- Absolutely perfect. It's potentcy should be legendary. The way the complex aromas melded together is definitely worth noting. On one hand, big notes of vanilla come forth from the bourbon barrels. In addition a gentle sweetness is detectable from the caramel malts. Also noticing some chocolate malts and various dark fruits...almost like prunes drizzled in toffee and then soaked in bourbon. If you inhale just enough, you can feel the hairs inside your nose start to burn.

T- Just as complex as the aroma. The one big thing I'm noticing is that the intense flavors of this beer just linger for minutes after each sip. Upfront I'm getting notes of caramel and vanilla. Just as these flavor set in, a distinct rich bourbon flavor kicks in. Alongside are various notes of toffee and chocolate malts. The finish is boozy and intense with the combination of flavors mentioned above. There is also a sweetness that is not as easy to pick up in the aroma. Very complex and rich. Perfect, no other way to describe it. Interesting to note that after a while, you become desensitized with the alcohol notes and can pick up more of the sweetness.

M- This is what really put the beer over the top for me. Rich and velvety, everything I could want. So smooth. Definitely world class.

D- While this beer is nearing 14% abv, it is so delicious and perfectly crafted that I could definitely drink a bomber of this no problem.

Overall, this is honestly one of the best beers I have ever had. The only beer that can even hold a candle to it is a 2002 De Dolle Oerbier Reserva I have had recently. This beer will put Pelican on the maps. Bravo!!!

07-17-2009 00:30:38 | More by rhinos00
bgramer

Washington

I love barrel-aged barleywines and have been wanting to try this for some time. Kicked myself for not going out to the mall in Portland when it was available as late as February 2009, and thankfully to a generous trader, I was able to acquire a bottle which I still hold.

My review is for a 2009 bottle which I consider myself lucky enough to have gotten a few bottles of, thus affording me the opportunity to open one up. The 2009 StormWatcher batch was aged in the same Evan Williams barrels as the 2008 batch was.

Whoa, this beer's aroma is pungent with vapors of vanilla, alcohol, and sweet malts as I removed the gold foil and opened it. A dark ruby/mahogany color fills my glass with a little head but there's some carbonation and lacing. Viscous, creamy, chewy, nutty, caramelly, toffee, and very bready. Can taste the oak character and bourbon as well.

This is definitely an easy sipping beer, if only to enjoy the complexities and enormity of this beer's character. I found myself inhaling the aroma each time I would sip, just to appreciate it. The alcohol presence is there but very drinkable in a smooth warming sense on the finish. I wouldn't have known it was a 13% abv.

The buzz around this beer seems to be picking up. It's no longer a NW secret, and it shouldn't be because this is an absolutely fantastic barrel-aged barleywine. It's a keeper.

11-04-2009 05:39:29 | More by bgramer
yuriruley

Oregon

Appearance - Very dark in color with a reddish tint to it. The head fizzled away very quickly. Good amount of carbination.

Smell - At first it smelled very fruity to me, but then the toffee/syrupy smell came on strong with hints of bourbon. Right at the end it really reminds me of a raw dough smell heh. The smell is great and very strong, I could smell it as soon as I popped the cap.

Taste - The toffee and the caramel really shine through in the taste along with the alcohol.

Mouthfeel - It is quite fizzy which I like.

Drinkability - Goes down alright, think it would go great with a hardy meal of some sorts.

Edit for 2010 MoAS

Much of the same as the last year, but more vanilla/marshmellow flavor and smell. I'd say this years is better and one of the best beers out there. So I am giving a 5. The drinkability is insane consider the ABV.

11-06-2009 23:16:30 | More by yuriruley
kunstdrache

2009 vintage-

Poured this into my Delirium Tremens tulip snifter. Was hit with the pleasant smell of vanilla, bourbon, caramels and the tan lacing quickly dissipated into a nice little ring of lacing. When I swirl my glass, I'm reminded of this beer's thickness. Damn - this is a hell of a BA Barleywine. *Just had it again and I honestly can say this is the BEST smelling beer I have ever had. If we had to score this based on smell the Perfect Storm would be number one.

It's very dark brownish ruby color but-crimson like through the edges when I hold my glass to the light. So smooth - malty, dark fruits, bready, caramel. Carbonation teases my tongue and cheeks when I swirl it around. The ABV is warming and the taste is dryer on the finish but SO drinkable. It's like drinking pure goodness!

World class - that's for sure. Lives up to the hype and belongs where it is now. I wish I had more of this than the 3 bottle I have left because I can only imagine how this is going to taste in a year or two.

11-16-2009 17:51:53 | More by kunstdrache
MysterySwirl

Wisconsin

This is the 2009 vintage. Thanks Mike!

This is my first review, and what a beer to kick it off with!

Pouring this beer into my glass reminds me of that vanilla cherry dr pepper a little bit with all the smells. I can definitely smell the bourbon and malts too. It looks like a dark brown color. The foam settles quickly and all thats left is a nice set of intersecting carbonated bubbles rising up the edge of the glass.

The taste of the beer is just like the smell - very thick and chewy and just the right amount of carbonation. I taste nuts, bread, sweet dark fruits.

This is easy to drink. High ABV not a concern. It's actually a little dry swallowing with a nice warmth. Well balanced.

Parts of this beer reminds me of the Central Waters bourbon barrel barleywine but more complex, brewed in my state. If I could find another bottle of this, I'd love to do a side by side tasting with that.

11-17-2009 18:57:32 | More by MysterySwirl
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

Let me just start off by saying that this is fantastic beer that really shows what barrel-aging is capable of doing with a high-quality base beer. Of course using the finest quality barrels also adds to the complexities found in this elixir.

Appearance is really a deep brown when observed at table level but when held to the light a russet and golden edged sunburst color is apparent. Little to no head is produced with a vigorous pour, but that's not to say there isn't any carbonation. Surprisingly no legs are visible even when the beer is swirled to release it's outstanding aroma. At this level of alcohol legs were, to me, a forgone conclusion.

On to that outstanding smell. Where to begin!! Deep dark, Belgian chocolate, star anise, fresh, home-made caramel, intoxicating booze (high quality), very slight pine and resin, a minute amount of top-shelf soy sauce and a roasty bourbon char and the requisite vanilla underpinnings.

The taste is not nearly as sweet as I thought it would be. It almost reminds me of a Amontillado sherry in how the nose would leave you to believe that a serious dose of sweetness (toffee, honey, turbinado sugar) was coming your way, only to produce the hint of those sticky sweet flavors you expect to swirl around in your mouth. Very intriguing and very more-ish. The Storm also has a hint of hazelnuts in is lasting finish.

Mouthfeel is thick, rich and viscous - almost decadent. Not a great deal of carbonation, but enough to suit the style perfectly.

This is a sipper folks, but the best kind of sipper possible - warm, friendly and lets face it, intoxicating - the kind of beer that leads to reflection and contemplation. This is a beer for late fall, early winter when the trees are barren and the first signs of frost blanket the earth. Take out your favorite beer book, start a fire and relax.

Update: This has become my favorite Barleywine over the years. I look forward to buying a case each year. This is the ONLY beer I buy by the case!! I'm drinking my last 2012 as the leaves fall and thunderstorms roll in. This is why I drink beer. Perfection!

11-24-2009 22:03:30 | More by Rochefort10nh
Dajtai007

08 TPS (4.8)
A month ago a friend and I took a very long trip to Pacific City. First sight was the amazing Oregon coastline. I have to say that the brewery is one of the sweetest sights I have ever seen. Literally, its right on the beach! I knew I was in for a treat. Pick up a three cases of their finest. I drove home with that silly grin of accomplishment.
Went home served it in my Rochefort glass, I thiought it was fitting.
Deep deep red with a very creamy head that bubbles out.
The smell was deep with a rich malty goodness. I have a hard time deciphering minute aromas. Lets just say " It was divine".
Taking my first sip let me know it was finely carbonated, very clean. To follow up with amazing complex flavors. The great thing was that the high ABV was tamed quite well.
After thew bottle I felt blissful with a warm fuzziness that comes from excellent beer. I'm so glad I know where to get more,

Great beer, one of the reasons I moved to the NW!

09 Batch (5.0)
This years TPS is sublime. The base beer, 08 Stormwatchers, is a lot better than the previous. Thus giving the ale a wonderful creaminess and balance it didn't have before (I didn't realize this until I did a side-by-side tasting). Big notes of vanilla, caramel , prunes, raisins, and a little bourbon makes this years batch worth every drop. I have to give a standing ovation to Pelican for taking TPS up a notch. They have been producing some amazing beers under the radar and TPS is the cream of the crop. Great World Class Beer!!!

11-30-2009 18:48:17 | More by Dajtai007
gregc

22oz bottle...most recent vintage.

Pours a deep mahogany, with a small but nice looking tan head.
Aroma is magnificent, so much happening here...huge smooth bourbon notes, vanilla, toffee, wood, cinnamon, caramel and rich dark fruits. Wow the nose the very complex. Seems like each time I give it a sniff something new is coming out.
Flavor is equally impressive if not better...rich and smooth flavors of caramel, vanilla, oak and a nice spot on for the style hop presence.
Really nice full body and extremely smooth, very drinkable almost no alcohol presence. This is hands down the best barleywine I have ever had.

12-15-2009 12:47:49 | More by gregc
olympuszymurgus

an already outstanding barley wine gone barrel aged? ridiculous. on tap at the end of a vertical flight of stormwatchers at the beautiful pelican.
it takes you to a mystical land, a dream world of murky depths and heavenly summits. pours dark red and a bit murky, pungeant, bourbon, vanilla, sweet malt, caramel, dates, and figs. its aroma is surpassed by the flavorful assault. the sweet malt and bourbon ride in first, flanked by vanilla. the fruit flavor and caramel then storm to the sides, capturing your entire match in ecstasy. it finishes with just the right bourbon bite and malt sweetness, leaving you desirious for more.

03-07-2010 23:58:27 | More by olympuszymurgus
BierSchmecker

Washington

This is an exceptional beer, from an exceptional brewer. The deep roasted malts, bourbon and oak flavors come through in every sip. The finish delights with a hint of vanilla. This beer is an absolute delight! I strongly recommend this beer to all in search of high quality beers.

03-27-2010 04:51:25 | More by BierSchmecker
ChadQuest

I have been super excited to try this beer, i've been desiring it for years, Unclejedi hooked me up with a trade and now i am opening it during the first snow of the year. perfect.
Head doesn't last long due to the alcohol content, leaving a clean looking deep dense off black body the color of mahogony with a thin ring around the edge of this 3oz snifter.
The barrel influence smells amazing, clean crisp heat rising up mixed with perfect caramel candy and toffee and maple.
Incredible rich flavors of Oak and other woods more sappy, and Vanilla with rich dark Molasses and melted caramel, and smooth bourbon with just a hint of courseness,and lightly sugar coated dried fruits, incredible smoothness and complexity for an 13% beer.
I got 2 bottles, one for tonight and another for aging, but i am going to absolutly have to get more, this is an amazing beer, maybe the very best BarleyWine i've ever had...i should say most likely the best...most likely the best beer period.

I sipped these 22oz for the better part of 4 hours, and still at the end it was exciting to raise the snifter to my lips. incredible. i'm a harsh reviewer, but i'm strongly considering all 5s...next bottle(someday)will decide.

12-04-2010 03:16:07 | More by ChadQuest
black13

****2010 Mother of all Storms***

Surprised to find thus on tap before I can buy it tomorrow. This is going to be a great weekend.

Served in wine glasses from fresh tap (first glass in fact). No head was left nor any lacing, but who cares. This dark honey beverage looked spectacular.

The aroma was everything I expected. First and foremost was a suble bourbon overtone. To go with was some mollasses, caramel and vanilla.
They are some others aromas present, but my novice alfactory organ fails to identify them.

Holly crap. This thing is amazing. All the flavors blend together perfectly. Nothing overpowers, but rather everything is perfect beer symphony. Despite clocking in at 13%, the alcohol does not dominate. The flavor is sweet, but certainly not cloying. My taste buds are happy!

The mouthfeel can only be described as a creamy smoothness.

I could drink this all night, but I have 09 Perfect storm to attend to. A wonderful beer that does not dissapoint this newbie and will likely please the seasoned veteran.

Another stellar beer from Pelican.

Consumed on 11-19-2010

05-14-2011 21:20:54 | More by black13
bonghitta

Washington

Had the 12 at the release, absolutely delicious. Only bourbon notes, not too bourbony, not infact too boozy either. All in all, this gives KH a run for the money. The sweetness drops off quickly, but its a delicious sweet tinge that hits you upfront that really makes this beer unique. A sweet BB aged barleywine!

Can't wait to try this next year after its aged a little

11-20-2012 16:56:23 | More by bonghitta
Impfan

Washington

At last, a barleywine I prefer even over Olde Curmudgeon!
2012 Bottling
Incredibly complex nose and flavor of caramel, toffee, bourbon (lots of it), sherry, cognac, vanilla, oak, raisins, honey, kumquats, orange zest, persimmons, plums, peaches, strawberries, prunes, dates, figs, cherries, pecan pralines, rhubarb, toasted coconut, leather, tobacco, and a hint of smokiness.

The body is syrupy, but playfully so, not sticky or cloying. This beauty has legs like Angelina, and the mouth becomes delightfully coated as the sipping continues. The finish is one of the longest I've ever experienced, and the woodiness and the alcohol prevent this one from becoming too sweet (as a gentleman before me pointed out).

It's been quite a few years since I was an ardent fan of the barleywine style, but this one absolutely blew me away, even fresh. I can only imagine what a few years of aging might achieve.

12-08-2012 21:26:11 | More by Impfan
CraftBrewhaha

Washington

Poured from the bottle into a glass and straight into my mouth-face. Mother of All Awesome. Drinkin delish. Sweet and boozed up like I like my ladies. It's a bomb didally-bourbon explosion on my palate. If you got one pop that top cause she's drinkin like a champion.

04-09-2013 06:18:30 | More by CraftBrewhaha
DmanGTR

4.99/5  rDev +11.9%

Re-review on 1/18/14

Thanks to Joe for breaking this out!

A huge barleywine. Wonderful chestnut hues with off white streaks of lace. Nose is predominantly toffee and caramel with lesser notes of raisins, vanilla, and bourbon. Many layers of complexity here. Mainly sweet but finishes with a light touch of earthy hops to keep the sweetness in check. Rich, smooth, and delicious.
4.75/5/5/5/5
---

Thanks to an awesome BA who broke this out at DLD. Review from notes on 4/24/10

A - Poured a rich chocolate brown with a large tan head that lasted the entire experience. Touches of lace here and there. Deep ruby red in the light. 4.5

S - Wonderfully malty with lots of caramel and toffee tones mixing with a delicate vanilla and wood. Hint of figs and black currants, but very subtle. I feel enlightened after wafting this goodness. 4.5

T - This is amazing. Complex dark fruits blended perfectly with toffee, caramel, and the slightest hint of robustness. Plums and figs bring the finish with the every so slight earthiness of hops. Yes, this is a delicate beer but that's exactly why it's so good. 4.5

M - There can be no flaw here. Rich and smooth to the point of velvetiness, coats the palate ever so slightly, and finishes with a bit of warmth in the throat. Carbonation is held in check the entire time. 5.0

D - Ok, I'm putting this on my whale hunt. Damn this is good. 5.0

01-19-2014 08:34:47 | More by DmanGTR
ajramirez1

4.98/5  rDev +11.7%

2012 Mother of all Storms.

Color is a rich dark brown color. Smell is amazing. Cracking this blitch Fiesta Bowl Ore vs K St. Winter season perfect time. Poured beast in a snifter.

Beer is down right dirty. Very great taste initially cold then better with warmth. I have this ranked no1 in Barleywines as of right now. Fairly new to Barleywines but ive had highly ranked ones and this is tops. Was going to give it a perfect score but no. Thats for PtY, PtE, Westy12. With time, this may be perfect.

Musy try, chalked off another top50 beer...

A-

01-04-2013 02:46:52 | More by ajramirez1
Pecorasc

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

This will probably be my only review, ever; Rhinos00 split a 22oz with me on the condition that I review it. Poured into a 10 oz snifter. Simple brown bottle with silk screen print, like their other beers. Aged in '98 Evan Williams barrels.

Very deep mahogany color. When held up to light - shows a deep red glowing spot light. A cream colored head that only sticks around the edges of the glass. The center of the beer doesn't hold any head; instead a small area of carbonation bubbles keeps it interesting.

I can't describe how perfect this beer smells. Amazing combination of alcohol, whiskey, and wet malt. If inhaled enough it creates a burning sensation. It took me 10 minutes to build up the courage to taste, out of fear that it wouldn't live up to the aroma.

It lived up to the aroma. Toasted bread, alcohol, molasses, prunes, vanilla; a nectar fit for gods. I want to jump right ahead to mouthfeel. It didn't occur to me until I tasted this beer just how English this Barleywine is.

Most amazing mouthfeel of any Barleywine. Creamy. Possibly the best mouthfeel of any beer. If you didn't have taste buds and you closed your eyes, you might think you have a cream stout in your mouth.

I haven't read Rhinos00's review, he may have said this: "Although you would get hammered, you could easily drink a bomber of this. It is just too good to only have one ten ounce snifter if there is more in front of you."

This beer is going to give Pelican one of the greatest reputations in the country. The last sip made me shudder in oral-gasm. My belly is warm, my soul content.

07-18-2009 22:40:56 | More by Pecorasc
thethrone

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

One word summary: Awesome.

22oz bomber, 2009 vintage, enjoyed via snifter starting at an unmeasured temperature I'll refer to as "lightly chilled".

The aroma is amazing. Caramel, bourbon, toasted oak, buttery vanilla, a deep robust spice, and a bit of alcohol to let you know it is meant to be taken seriously. This beer has one of those smells that that I could just take in all day. The only disappointment here is that the scale only goes to five. It doesn't end there; the taste delivers on everything the aroma promises. Creamy and smooth, complex without overwhelming, sweet without being syrupy, strong without being boozy, and just enough carbonation to hold it all together.

This beer is the real deal, and is easily among the best beers I have had the pleasure of enjoying. If you enjoy this style, then The Perfect Storm should be on your short list of beers to seek out.

11-05-2009 05:15:07 | More by thethrone
mykie73

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

Alas, I have been waiting to try this beer for a while.

Back story.... Purchased three of the first batch one year ago on an educated gamble (educated because Pelican is awesome; gamble because it was expensive and purchased in a mall kiosk); traded 2 of them, cellared one. All in the mean time, I have been watching the hype for this beer grow from afar, while my one remaining bottle has been tormenting me.

2009 served around 50-55ish degrees into a snifter. shared with MrMike or ipAfool

L) head is none existent--tiny bubbles cascade upwards (if the verb "cascade" can be used in an uphill motion) towards the side of the glass showing it's good carbonation. beautiful deep, dark brown-maroon while staying transparent despite color. not cloudy at all. looks amazing besides the lack of head.

L) toffee...lots of toffee, maple syrup, currants, raisons, vanilla, oak, sweet bourbon. a little bit of heat on end. There is a lot going on. As others have mentioned, smells like its going to be sweet and syrup-like...

T) ...and not as sweet as it smells. chocolate covered raisins (raisinets), vanilla yogurt covered raisins (goat berries), toffee, caramel, and bourbon... delicious bourbon. bourbon is dominant but does not overpower or offend; like three exclamation points at the end of a poetic sentence!!! (okay...bad example).

F) what a barleywine should be...not thin, not overly thick...just perfect.. chewy and has a dry finish. Tremendous coating of mouth with an aftertaste that lingers harmoniously; I want it to be my saliva.

D) This beer should never be on drought...at least not without a limit...because I fear I will not stop drinking it. insanely drinkable do to dry finish... worth the price tag. My roommate watched an entire episode and a half of project runway and I didn't move...I didn't look up...I didn't care...I just had a shit-eating-grin on my face starring at this masterpiece. I was lost in this beer... and I did not want to find a way out.

1998 Evan Williams Bourbon barrels and Pelican Stormwatchers Winterfest barleywine is truly is a perfect storm.

11-06-2009 05:47:21 | More by mykie73
LilMatrix

Latest 2009 vintage

A: Dark Ruby, a quick swirl exposes a light tan head that dissipates quickly.

S: Bourbon, Alcohol, brown sugar, cake.

T: Bourbon, oak, Vanilla, slightly fruity, not overly hot... delicious!

M: Thick and chewy with pleasant carbonation.

D: Was expecting this to be boozy and sweet with alot of heat. Surprisingly it was very well balanced and complex but never cloying. Kinda reminds me of Bourbon Barrel Angel's Share but chewier and actually carbonated. A definite sipper, but what a fantastic beer. One of the best barreled barleywines I've had.

11-12-2009 20:22:12 | More by LilMatrix
brdc

Wisconsin

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

large capped bottle, poured into a snifter. Thanks alcstradamus for this one. From notes.

It created one of those rare "wow" moments, as I casually grabbed the glass and started walking, only to stop short, turn around, sit down and start paying attention.
Reddish brown in color, nice thick tan head, good retention and lacing.
the aroma suggests the malt assault that is coming, as expected for a british style barleywine; toffee and butterscotch, sweet, dark fruits, some oak and vanilla, brandy.
On the palate this is incredibly rich, velvety with a very longlasting afterflavor. Sweetish but never too much. Malts abound, balanced somewhat by a nice booziness that is never too hot. vanilla, brandy, dark fruits, lots of toffee and butterscotch.
A very impressive barleywine, british style as I prefer, need to get myself more of this. An excellent sipper.

04-06-2010 05:11:05 | More by brdc
Shmeal

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

Some scrawled notes that I found when I popped a 2010 bottle in October 2011.

This is my favorite barleywine of all time.

Big bourbon, roasted malts, caramel, molasses, dark fruits, and hop notes all balanced with a dose of warming booziness. I would be hard pressed to think of a tastier beer on a cold day.

02-04-2012 04:55:30 | More by Shmeal
Floydster

4.95/5  rDev +11%

22 ounce bottle off to the side during the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party on 3/28/09, reviewed from notes on my cell phone, thanks to vurt for bringing this gem that he formerly bought at a mall kiosk, how awesome of story that is, very cool of you to bring this along Eric and I truly enjoyed this to say the least, he gave me a generous six ounce pour in my Chimay goblet

A-Very dark brown with several bright red highlights, 1 1/4 inch creamy and foamy beige head that lasts the whole time I was drinking it, that is crazy for a beer that spent this long in a barrel, great legs as well
S-Bourbon, vanilla, strong oak, sugar, donuts, white cake mix, charcoal, milk chocolate, some dark cocoa nibs too, espresso, cream, toffee, caramel, toasted bread, various dark fruits, and a hint of syrah wine
T-Starts off with a nice sweet character than was a bit like a dessert wine, lots of caramel malt along with a variety of breads in the middle, big vanilla finish with a lingering bourbon aftertaste, then a bit of coffee and more roasted accents come to the surface, still followed by a sweet and oaky vanilla flavor, later on a bit of cake and milk chocolate tootise roll-like flavors arrive in the finish, each sip was something different and all of that was good, this beer has bourbon characteristics but is not that boozy at all, not even that dry from the wood, its seemed the barrel aging just enhanced the great flavors that were already there, great overall and balanced at all points even if the tastes changed so dramatically often, outstanding flavor
M-Sweet, warm, chewy, and earthy mouthfeel, medium to full bodied, this brew is as rich as they come but you keep wanting more, syrupy texture with moderate carbonation, taste lasts a long time but you still want it to be longer
D-Yeah right this stuff is thirteen and a half percent, it taste more like eight, alcohol is hidden incredibly, this stuff is quite easy to drink and that is saying a lot because it has so much flavor, smooth until the very last sip, insane drinkability

Best barleywine I have ever except for a certain one from Midnight Sun, this beer is outstanding, has everything a barrel aged beer should, talk about an introduction to a brewery, wow, I plan on buying two different vintages of Stormwatcher soon and comparing them to this beautiful BA version, Evan Williams Single Barrel is my favorite whiskey and this certainly made this beer unforgettable, wish this stuff was more attainable but according to several people there was not much of it made and it sold out pretty quickly, one of the top beers of 2009 for me, I want more now, cannot recommend this enough

04-03-2009 01:47:45 | More by Floydster