2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Mother Of All StormsMother Of All Storms

Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,220 | Reviews: 392 | Show All Ratings:
aasher

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

This bottle was graciously shared at DLD by some top notch BAs. I've been looking for a world class bourbon barrel aged barleywine for some time now. It was probably my favorite beer of the day. It poured a dark brown/amberish color with a light off white head. It instantly smelled of oak, bourbon, vanilla, carmel malts, and alcohol. It made the hair on my neck stand up. I instantly knew that I was in for a treat! The flavors were a nice blend of woody earthiness, vanilla, molasses, Evan Williams, and slight roasted malts. The complexities of this one are something I haven't seen from a barleywine yet. It drank very easily and smooth for the high alcohol content. My only complaint is that I only got a four ounce pour and it disappeared too quickly. Massive thanks to those BAs who shared this on Saturday! You forever etched this memory in my mind! Can't wait to see you guys next year!

Edit: I've now had this beer several times since the tasting at DLD and each bottle has been equally superb. I'm confident in saying that it's my all time favorite beer and I cannot get enough of it.

05-02-2011 13:09:16 | More by aasher
GregSVT

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into a snifter, 2010 Mother of all Storms vintage - Thank you Pelican for selling these to mail order customers!

A: Pours a deep mahogany with a medium dark tan head that fades to a ring and leaves a bit of lacing on the glass. One of the darkest barleywines I've ever seen.

S: The aromas coming from the glass are excellent. Lots of toffee, vanilla, bourbon, and malt.

T: The taste is buttery toffee, vanilla, and a roasty malt flavor. There are lots of oak and tannin flavors in there as well. The finish is incredibly complex and changes as it develops. Lots of sweet flavors and some roasty flavors that balance them out. There's a bit of hops on the finish as well but only enough to let you know they're there.

M: The feel is thick and creamy with an excellent amount of carbonation.

D: One of the best barleywines I've ever had, barrel aged or not, and definitely lives up to the hype. I can't wait to see how this one develops over time.

After having the regular Stormwatcher's I can say that the barrel has done wonders here. The harsh licorice and roasted flavors are smoothed out and the beer greatly improves.

12-11-2010 02:42:17 | More by GregSVT
alpinebryant

Connecticut

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a dark chocolate color, much darker than I had expected with a tiny brown head of small bubbles around the edges. I can see through it and it is a clear dark chestnut chocolate brown.

S: Aroma of thick roasted caramel, cocoa , bourbon, figs and raisins blended with oak.

T: Wow, this is rich! Chocolate, cherry coke, cotton candy and leather intermixed with caramel and roasted caramelized sugar. As these flavors imply, this beer is sweet. Closest thing that comes to mind is Adam, but this has more cherry and less leather in the body. A bit of port with bourbon and american oak barrels really rounding out the sweetness.

M: Thick chewy sticky resinous caramel with a light carbonation.

O: This is definitely one of those beers that lived up to the hype. While I had this on my list for probably two years, I was actually very glad to have finally tried this and it lived up to my expectations. I imagine with a few years age on it, it would do well and possibly lose some of the sweetness. Very impressed here.

04-28-2012 17:52:59 | More by alpinebryant
notchucknorris

2012 Bottle

A: Pours a deep reddish brown color with a thin light brown head.

S: Rich bourbon aroma, but it's not completely overpowering. Lots of toffee, raisin, brown sugar, toasted coconut, oak and dark fruit. Very complex and very intriguing.

T: Opens with some burnt raisin skin and bourbon. Then leads into some great flavors of vanilla, toffee, butterscotch, toasted oak and a dry and warming finish with a touch of booze. Fantastic young, but I definitely can't wait to try an older bottle really soon.

12-06-2012 21:09:07 | More by notchucknorris
WeisGuy

4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

a - pour a deep ruby brown, one inch tan head with retention around the edges, slightly hazy

s - very complex, leather, tobacco, oak, bourbon, caramel malt, vanilla, one of the best smelling beers I've experienced

t - caramel, tobacco and bourbon sweetness, very well integrated, amaretto and vanilla on the mid-palate, finish is lingering oak, bourbon and caramel with a nice boozy warmth

m - full-bodied, low to medium carbonation, well-balanced finish, lots of alcohol warming

d - definitely a sipper, but quite drinkable for a 13.5% barleywine, incredibly complex and interesting

This definitely lived up to the hype...incredibly complex barleywine that will certainly improve with age.

12-03-2009 06:02:33 | More by WeisGuy
nickd717

4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

22oz bottle shared at a tasting. Damn it, once again I don't remember who brought it. largadeer I believe. I swear, I am losing it.

Pours a cloudy dark brown color with a medium tan head that fades to a ring and leaves good lacing.

Aroma is caramel, bourbon, wood, toffee, dark fruit, and spice. Really pungent and awesome. A "perfect storm" of awesome aromas melding together (yes, very creative, I know).

Flavor is caramel and lots of toffee and wood, in addition to vanilla, spices, cherry raisin, fig, date, malted milk balls, and a little mildly boozy bourbon. Very complex and very, very tasty. Once again, the name of this beer is fitting.

Full body with a smooth mouthfeel, only ever so slightly boozy but very warming. Drinkability is high because it's just so damn good. Overall, this is easily one of the best barleywines I've ever tried.

12-15-2009 01:15:39 | More by nickd717
MarkFy

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thank you to my neighbors at DLD '10 for sharing a bottle of this beauty. Going based off of memory....

A: Color is dark brown, yet somewhat clear.

S: Vanilla, toffee, slight whiskey. Very good.

T: Wow! The barleywine brings a nice vanilla and toffee flavor and the bourbon comes through very nicely, not overpowering at all.

M: Very nice, rich, a little sticky but full bodied.

This is exactly what I look for in a good sipping beer. Everything is there, not too boozy. To have this be a memorable experience from an event like DLD says a lot. Well done.

04-25-2010 17:49:29 | More by MarkFy
DwnTwnBwn

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I know this is a no-no, but this review is from notes scribbled down on piece of paper, because I didn't have access to the internet at the time.

A- Very dark viscous brown. Hues of red come through when the sunlight hits it. It has a very rich coloring. Little to no head.
S- Lots of Toffee and Molasses in the nose with plenty of dark fruits also. The roasted malts come through on the end. Bourbon and oak pull through warning you of the immense flavor about to come.

T- This is a huge beer. Lots of sweet roasted caramel flavor. It's a very sweet burnt sugar flavor up front which moves to a darker more complex flavor towards the end. Raisins a figs play out the dark fruit notes as the beer starts to warm up. The vanilla and Bourbon complement the finish quite well.

M- Quite nice, enough carbonation to keep the beer from muddying up the tongue. Thick and smooth are about the only way to sum it up

O- This beer is huge. Lots of flavor through all its complexities. The alcohol is just enough to be noticed and not too much to be overpowering. A 10oz pour out me back, defiantly a beer to share. Will be seeking out more.

04-28-2010 00:47:34 | More by DwnTwnBwn
mikehblack

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 bottle. Big thanks to stupac2 for supplying me with this.

A- Pours a very deep garnet/mahogany color. Thin brownish head subsides very quickly to a ring. Plenty of alcohol visible on the glass.

S- Caramel, vanilla, bourbon, sweet syrup. Dark fruits abound. Alcohol noticeable but not overbearing.

T- Bourbon hits immediately but is enveloped by burnt caramel and sweet syrupy dark fruits. A bit of alcohol in the back. Vanilla and oak. The flavors are hanging on for days.

M- Thick and smooth. It's almost like drinking very delicious cough syrup, meant in the best way possible. Moderate carbonation is enough to keep it from being cloying but lets the flavors linger. Alcohol burn is nice and warming.

O- This is one of the best barleywines/barrel-aged beers I've ever had. Immensely big and complex. Definitely a sipper, though.

12-26-2011 04:31:10 | More by mikehblack
dcloeren

4.71/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Review from notes...

Poured a deep brown with mahogany edges, 1 finger of cinnamon colored head lingered for a quick minute and slowly succumbed to the weight of the beer.

Nice aromas of toffee, caramel, oak, bourbon and vanilla. Smells awesome.

Toffee dominates my palate right off the bat with an amazing bourbon burn following it. Great caramel malt carrying the weight throughout with some vanilla rounding it off on the back end.

Medium to full in body with a perfect amount of carbonation. I really love the carbonation on this beer! It gives it an amazing mouthfeel. I also love the smooth burn from the bourbon on the finish of this beer. Top notch!

This is an amazing barleywine. Amazing flavor and mouthfeel! This is a must have and it is definitely a world class BBBW.

05-21-2013 20:52:12 | More by dcloeren
CosmoHopHead

Kansas

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%

Was saving this for a special occasion and since my girlfriend likes barleywine we decided to open it on her birthday. Cheers babe!

A: pours a very clean dark ruby reddish/brown with almost no head and no lacing at all.

S: as soon as I popped open the cap the smell came flying out. strong scents of oak, bourbon, toffee, dark fruits, malts and molasses

T: wow, unreal. strong presence of oak and bourbon with under tones of vanilla and malts. as it warmed the fruitiness became much more tart and smooth. Raisins and figs make their presence know as well. again, wow

M: feels thick and syrupy with a medium carbonation that tingles my tongue.

D: a big time sipper but that was ok since it became much more complex as it warmed up. The alcohol was very noticeable as it warms the mouth and throat. That being said, it was extremely smooth for 13.5%abv.

Overall, I'm very happy to have gotten the chance to try this amazing barleywine. One of the best I have ever had. Very much worth the Darkness I gave up to get it in trade.

05-21-2010 00:31:32 | More by CosmoHopHead
rye726

Colorado

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%

Nice silky tan head, light lace over a dark woody mahogany. Notes of bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark pitted fruits, candy, malts and pecans. A bit boozy, but should age well. Full body, great finish. This will age very well for years to come. Wish I could get more!

02-22-2011 01:23:37 | More by rye726
Kaydogg

2010

A - Very dark ruby body with a 1/4 inch tan mocha head that doesn't stick around to long.

S - light sweet fruit and caramel up front with a solid bourbon nose mixed in. vanilla and oak is also noticeable.

T - Lots of bourbon flavor..vanilla, carmel, toffee..a nice tiny burn to it...fantastic. It is pretty rich and very complex

M - this is were this beer shines for me.. excellent mouth feel..creamy, carbonation is spot on..really well done.

D - I think this is my favorite BA BW to date. a delicious sipper..
deserves the credit it gets

12-01-2011 16:27:06 | More by Kaydogg
SkeeterBoganski

Colorado

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

MoaS 2012...thanks Scray for this one....finally opening it.

A - the beer, after an aggressive pour, displays a deep ruby black in color; this mofo has a 'sparkling sound' from the carbonation as well; the mocha head sits contently even after the initial pour; bubbled lacing sits but moves

S - there is a LOT going on in the nose here: bourbon covered caramel apple; that brown sugar sweetness; vanilla; candied plums; whisky yams...is that a legit concept? That's what I'm getting

T - man, I love this beer: everything going on in the nose and more! That whisky yam thing carries over predominantly; some cherries; some milk chocolate; oak char; vanilla; brown sugar; molasses; candied prune; f me...booze! Also, there are some cotton candy notes as this one warms up.

M - this one has a little heat to it...which at 14%, I can't say I'm shocked; the beer is nonetheless smooth and nicely syrupy; this one is a little chewy, but I dig it. The heat lingers after a swallow, but yeah...I dig that shit; heavy all in all

O - all I can say is, I'm glad I have another one. I'm looking forward to seeing how this beer develops. It's a damn fine barleywine...maybe the best BW I've had to this point. It's got so many different flavors, the perfect amount of sweetness, an awesome ABV....a sipping man's BW. I'll be working towards a case next year Pelican!

02-21-2013 01:04:31 | More by SkeeterBoganski
standardcherry

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2012 bottle

A: Pours a dark brown/red color with very little head. Almost looks like wine when the head dissipates.
S: Smells so strong, I could smell it across the room when I opened the bottle! Huge caramel, bourbon, vanilla, oak and brown sugar/molasses aromas. Smells amazing.
T: Just like the smell, this has a ton of caramel, brown sugar, vanilla and bourbon. Raisins and figs are in there too, but brown sugar dominates. There's a slight hint of dulce de leche and chocolate hidden in there. Big sweetness in the beginning but it fades towards the finish as you get the blast of oak and bourbon. A nice bit of burn at the end as well.
M: Very balanced for 14%. Nice and thick bodied with low carbonation. Incredibly smooth and velvety.
O: One of the best barleywines I've had, up there with Leon and King Henry. I will need to revisit Sucaba soon to see where that one stands.

05-16-2013 07:53:21 | More by standardcherry
Resuin

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2012 Edition poured from a bomber into a Westvleteren Goblet. Bottled 2.5 months ago.

Appearance: Pours a deep brown/black with a very small dark tan head (less than a finger). Pours relatively thick, but looks quite appetizing.

Smell: Chocolate and bourbon meet the nose first, with a kick. Some caramel, vanilla and figs/raisins as well. The aroma finishes with some alcohol. Quite an interesting smelling beer.

Taste: Pretty complex tasting beer: bourbon up front, along with possibly a toffee-like flavor. Definitely some chocolate in there, along with a bit of vanilla. This one packs a ton of flavor into each sip, awesomely complex.

Mouth-feel: Perfect amount of carbonation for a beer of this depth and complexion. Fairly thick but not quite as thick as the nose suggests. A very well balanced beer for what it is.

Overall: This beer exceeded my high expectations and is an excellent version of a BA Barleywine. So many flavors, and they balance very well together. Definitely a beer to sip and enjoy as it opens up over time. I highly recommend this brew.

01-18-2013 04:43:53 | More by Resuin
zipper8650

Good Beer Sunday
2012 in snifter
High hopes for this one....
A - poured down the middle, starts as a nice amber color, head is a thin golden/brown that dissipates quick. full glass is a nice dark brown with ruby highlights
S - could smell this one since the second I started pouring it, big bourbon smell in the air. Stick you nose in it and you a thick/sweet/molasses and bourbon smell with some vanilla. Thick and sweet best describes this smell for me
T - I am SO impressed how this beer finished off! Its got that great bourbon and barley wine start but the heat from the booze finishes and dies so smoothly. Brown sugar, vanilla, bourbon, its all really well balanced
M - heavy and syrupy
O - exceeded my hopes, i really enjoy this one, its a huge thick sweet boozy beer that is perfectly balanced for me. I went in to this one in the headset that maybe we don't need to bourbon the hell out of everything but the way it works on this one restores the faith that Doom destroyed. Definitely going to keep up with the releases on this one
Skol

05-05-2013 22:17:38 | More by zipper8650
artoolemomo

Oregon

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- Very light head (about a finger and a half to a finger in a 12 oz. Glass) and basically no head retention. This would be worrisome in other styles but acceptable in this one. Tan/light mocha but could be wrong, it went away so quickly. The body is a deep chestnut brown that shows ruby notes when held to the light.

Nose- There was a greenish note that I noticed early one (especially from the bottle itself). A greenish note (not of fruit but of trees, maybe plants) that worked with a certain sourness (think coffee). Toffee, vanilla, butter, and caramel alongside heavy roasted notes of malt and bread. Very sweet- brown sugar and molasses. But the coconut. The coconut on the nose in the glass is dominating. It's intoxicating. It mixes with burnt toffee and is quite a compelling aroma.

Taste- Burnt toffee, coconut, and caramel come out first. There is some bitterness lingering around the edges that need to be sussed out. Some heat but with such a high alcohol content, it is very welcome. This is ever so complex- figs, raisins, light hints of chocolate, oak, and even tobacco at the end. Vanilla as well. While this may be based upon Stormwatcher's, this is much better. Notes of leather as well. This is amazing in its complexity and integration. It is still very boozy. It makes me interested in trying the 2011 that is at bottles. Right now, it is straddling the line between a 4.5 and a 4.75 but I think it is closer to a 4.75. It's only real failure is in appearance. Brown sugar and molasses. Bourbon notes as well. This is what a barleywine should be.

Mouthfeel- This is heavy bodied and it should be. The carbonation is minimal and this is no problem. Syrupy but smooth.

Drinkability- Extremely dangerous. It will destroy your pocketbook and liver. You have been warned. Buy immediately upon sight.

Overall- A/A+. A thoroughly enjoyable beer. It was definitely worth 25 bucks. I would purchase again. Will be ticked as a 4.75 but slightly lower than that.

06-15-2013 03:26:52 | More by artoolemomo
PHBoiler

Poured into tulip glass

Limited tan/khaki colored bubbles that don't even make a thin head across the surface. Deep burgundy colored body with yellowish/tan outlines in the glass. Good coating of the glass. Smell is inviting with some bourbon on the nose and dark fruitiness. The taste is deep. Ripe/overripe fruits creating a candy/brown sugar sweetness that enhances the oak and minor vanilla. Very, very smooth with a slick mouthfeel that is full bodied without too much heat. Great beer. Comparable to the best BA barleywines I've tasted. The key is having the body to stand up to the flavor and round out the drinking experience and this beer delivers that.

07-01-2013 03:40:33 | More by PHBoiler
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +4.9%

Cannot believe I get to finally try this one, been a long time coming for sure! Served at cellar temp and poured into a snifter, this one was consumed on 12/07/2009.

The pour was fantastic, and much better then I have seen on any of the BA BW before. Rich dark brown in color with a huge head of tan that just towered over the top of the glass. Settling down smoothly and evenly it produced a thick coating of lace all along the sides of the glass. Rich vanilla and woody aromas are being picked up almost immediately. Huge notes of oak and subtle caramel and toffee and truly dominating here for sure. Warming only brings this out further, rich and decadent, sweet aromas just building off each other here. The first sip is divine, subtle, and rich and perfectly carbonated it simply rolls across the tongue with a gentleness that is unheard of. Vanilla and caramel merging with oak like notes and touches of earthy hops all working together seamlessly. I am still not sure how strong this one is, but subtleness is key here as it was barely detectable at all.

Overall this was just incredible. I had heard this was one of the best out there, but very seldom does that hold true, here it does with flying colors. One of the best, hands down I has ever had.

12-09-2009 21:36:00 | More by mikesgroove
jwjon1

Delaware

2009 Vintage

Pour an oxidized/rust brown, but perfectly translucent. Smells of Werther's caramel, a touch of Werther's chocolate, toasted pecans, a touch of bourbon and wood, perhaps lightly roasted coffee... list could go on and on. Basically, it was like smelling an exceptional sherry that changed in the glass over time. Phenomenal.

A bit of heat and tannic wood, which gives taste and drinkability as the only small knocks I gave this beer. Perfectly carbonated upon opening--but even after letting it run still in my glass over a couple hours, I continue to be fascinated by this one. Truly an exceptional beer that I can't wait to try again a few years down the road.

Worth seeking out for fans of English barleywines.

12-28-2009 03:36:36 | More by jwjon1
DIM

4.68/5  rDev +4.9%

2009 version, big thanks to OHLRangers for the chance to try this amazing brew.

a: This was a dark, chestnut brown and it poured with a large off-white cap.

s: Perfect barrel aged b-wine aroma. Plenty boozy but in an aromatic way, it wasn't at all hot. Lots of caramel, toffee, molasses, vanilla, raisins, borbon, and a touch of oak. Not subtle in the least.

t: Incredibly rich overall, there are so many bold flavors here its almost overwhelming. There were stronger raisin and dark fruit flavors present than is typical for a BA barleywine, yet the bourbon flavors were quite strong as well. This was sweet without being cloying. Flavors of caramel, molasses, and vanilla were all prominent. There was even some chocolate coming through.

m: Big, sticky body with fairly active, creamy carbonation.

d: This absolutely lives up the hype. Thanks Ed, for advising me to wait until this had a year on it. It was worth it.

10-21-2010 15:51:57 | More by DIM
DarthKostrizer

4.68/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle shared by Ade at a bottle share

Look: Dark mahogany color with only about a 1/4 inch head with good retention and spotty lacing

Smell: Great nose lots of toffee and brown sugar. Backed up by the barrel characters of oak bourbon and vanilla

Taste: Much of the same as the nose with layers upon layers of flavor. Upfront is a nice caramel sweetness backed up by a great bourbon character which brings with it oak and vanilla

Mouthfeel: Full body and mild carbonation

Overall: Great barleywine and to date the best I have had

02-06-2012 05:26:30 | More by DarthKostrizer
mfavoino

Washington

4.68/5  rDev +4.9%

Another big want that Treebs shared with me. Shared three ways.

Appearance: Deep, but translucent brown with a red hue. No head really to speak of.

Smell: Big caramel malt aromas paired with lots of sweet bourbon. Dark fruits and toffee too. Big nose on this one.

Taste: A big, big flavor that pairs a sweet, smooth bourbon with a huge caramel malt backbone. Dark fruit adds some sweetness and the oak gives even more character. Very rich.

Mouthfeel: Thick, full-bodied, and syrupy with a bit of booze on the back end.

Overall: An amazing English Barleywine. A big, big beer that would be great to share with some friends on a chilly night.

08-25-2012 23:50:47 | More by mfavoino
MacQ32

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a deep rich brown with a tint of mahogany in my oversized DFH snifter. Nearly a finger of somewhat vibrant cream brown/yellowish head (the yellow tint was new to me). The head disappeared within 2 minutes leaving only a thin outer ring and virtually no lacing that hangs onto the glass for more than a few seconds.

S - Lots of oaky alcohol burn, sweet caramel, dark fruits (prune/date) and vanilla. Brown sugar/molasses and bourbon are obvious as well.

T - Ohhhh my, Initially it's super oaky/vanilla/bourbony and the dark fruits (cherry and dates are killer), burnt molasses kicks in shortly after and all the flavor sticks around through the flavor with the addition nice alcohol burn.

M - Full bodied and incredibly smooth, minimal carbonation.

O - Fantastic, the mouth feel of this could not be any better, complex and the flavors are damn near perfectly blended with one another. Will definitely hang on to a few of these for a nice dinner.

01-31-2013 23:24:51 | More by MacQ32