Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Wants: 1,445
Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros

PackerBacker, Jan 05, 2013
4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

Alas, I have been waiting to try this beer for a while.

Back story.... Purchased three of the first batch one year ago on an educated gamble (educated because Pelican is awesome; gamble because it was expensive and purchased in a mall kiosk); traded 2 of them, cellared one. All in the mean time, I have been watching the hype for this beer grow from afar, while my one remaining bottle has been tormenting me.

2009 served around 50-55ish degrees into a snifter. shared with MrMike or ipAfool

L) head is none existent--tiny bubbles cascade upwards (if the verb "cascade" can be used in an uphill motion) towards the side of the glass showing it's good carbonation. beautiful deep, dark brown-maroon while staying transparent despite color. not cloudy at all. looks amazing besides the lack of head.

L) toffee...lots of toffee, maple syrup, currants, raisons, vanilla, oak, sweet bourbon. a little bit of heat on end. There is a lot going on. As others have mentioned, smells like its going to be sweet and syrup-like...

T) ...and not as sweet as it smells. chocolate covered raisins (raisinets), vanilla yogurt covered raisins (goat berries), toffee, caramel, and bourbon... delicious bourbon. bourbon is dominant but does not overpower or offend; like three exclamation points at the end of a poetic sentence!!! (okay...bad example).

F) what a barleywine should be...not thin, not overly thick...just perfect.. chewy and has a dry finish. Tremendous coating of mouth with an aftertaste that lingers harmoniously; I want it to be my saliva.

D) This beer should never be on drought...at least not without a limit...because I fear I will not stop drinking it. insanely drinkable do to dry finish... worth the price tag. My roommate watched an entire episode and a half of project runway and I didn't move...I didn't look up...I didn't care...I just had a shit-eating-grin on my face starring at this masterpiece. I was lost in this beer... and I did not want to find a way out.

1998 Evan Williams Bourbon barrels and Pelican Stormwatchers Winterfest barleywine is truly is a perfect storm.

mykie73, Nov 06, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

Latest 2009 vintage

A: Dark Ruby, a quick swirl exposes a light tan head that dissipates quickly.

S: Bourbon, Alcohol, brown sugar, cake.

T: Bourbon, oak, Vanilla, slightly fruity, not overly hot... delicious!

M: Thick and chewy with pleasant carbonation.

D: Was expecting this to be boozy and sweet with alot of heat. Surprisingly it was very well balanced and complex but never cloying. Kinda reminds me of Bourbon Barrel Angel's Share but chewier and actually carbonated. A definite sipper, but what a fantastic beer. One of the best barreled barleywines I've had.

LilMatrix, Nov 12, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +10.1%

Bomber into a BW glass.

Mmmm…..Dark, dark, dark. Ruby red when held directly to the light with tan head.

Oak! Bourbon!!! Earthy/woody. Sweet sugary prunes, toasted vanilla. No alcohol present, like none! Dark cherry as it warms.

Bourbon! Toasted malt and dark candied fruit. The sweet malt is balanced perfectly by the bourbon-barrel. Really rich in flavor!!

Warm. Medium-bodied. Borderline on full, but not syrupy.

AGE IT!! Sooo good now, but resist the temptation if you can. A lot of potential here for one of the top BW’s of all time. Very pleasurable. Just a joy to sip on.

If you’re into bourbon (we’ve been doing shots of Maker’s Mark lately) you have to get your hands on this, whatever the cost in trade or dollars.

JamesMcPolin, Apr 30, 2011

4.75/5  rDev +6.7%

sind310, Oct 23, 2012

manjanai, Jun 17, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +9.7%

2011 vintages poured into a cognac snifter.

A: Pours a nice dark brown with a little tan head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving a little lacing. Decent for the style but certainly not the best head I've seen.

S: Smells lovely. Nice caramel and bourbon up front with some brown sugar, figs, and vanilla character.

T: The smell was lovely and the taste didn't let me down. I am getting the bourbon and caramel that I noted in the aroma, along with some vanilla. The background has some brown sugar and dark fruit. Really well put together.

M: This is a nice hefty barleywine with pretty light carbonation, but well within the range I expect for the style. There is just the slightest hint of booze going down.

O: I really like this beer, probably my favorite barleywine. I usually like my barleywines a bit hoppier, but this was my favorite (so far anyway). I will do my best to age a few.

BigTomZ, Jun 22, 2012

EvilStar33, Aug 06, 2013

tigervette, Nov 30, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -21.3%

CapitalGains, Jan 20, 2012

CanConPhilly, Dec 15, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Rich deep dark mahogany brown with zero head. Some carbonation is seeping through. This beer just looks boozy and mean. Well sh*t. Another over the top bourbon mess in the aroma. Sweet bourbon, molasses, brown sugar, boozy soaked prune and dates. The flavor delivers a tad more. Wow, one boozy beer beer. The alcohol is far from hidden. Starts with a great in depth complex barleywine style and is followed by some bourbon integration, but the finish is just so sweet and hot. My belly is just filled with alcohol. I can see how many people would love this beer, but it's far from being a finessful drinkable beer.

TrueRates, Jun 27, 2010

eatabag, Dec 06, 2011

brewinglawyer, Feb 21, 2012

davidn17, Mar 11, 2012
4.22/5  rDev -5.2%

Got to taste the bourbon barrel aged @ the jacki os release feb 2011.
Appearance - little to no head, dark.
Taste - mostly malts when cold, change and became softer as it warmed up.
Smell - malts, oats, dark fruits
Mouthfeel - nice taste up front and on the finish, solid beer nice feel on the palate
Drinkability - good.

udchemist, Feb 05, 2011
4.69/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Good Beer Sunday
2012 in snifter
High hopes for this one....
A - poured down the middle, starts as a nice amber color, head is a thin golden/brown that dissipates quick. full glass is a nice dark brown with ruby highlights
S - could smell this one since the second I started pouring it, big bourbon smell in the air. Stick you nose in it and you a thick/sweet/molasses and bourbon smell with some vanilla. Thick and sweet best describes this smell for me
T - I am SO impressed how this beer finished off! Its got that great bourbon and barley wine start but the heat from the booze finishes and dies so smoothly. Brown sugar, vanilla, bourbon, its all really well balanced
M - heavy and syrupy
O - exceeded my hopes, i really enjoy this one, its a huge thick sweet boozy beer that is perfectly balanced for me. I went in to this one in the headset that maybe we don't need to bourbon the hell out of everything but the way it works on this one restores the faith that Doom destroyed. Definitely going to keep up with the releases on this one
Skol