1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Mother Of All StormsMother Of All Storms

Wants: 1,463
Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros

4.1/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to Rutager for this bottle!

Vintage 2011 served up at cellar temp.

A dark mahogany brew with a small tan head

The nose is of sweet caramelized sugar, not much else on the nose.

The taste is of bourbon, vanilla and caramelized sugar. This brew is on the sweeter side, not surprising considering the ABV is 14%. The mouthfeel is full and vinous.

Not bad when a sweeter and bigger brew is called for.

3.75/5  rDev -15.7%

4.85/5  rDev +9%

Look - Very little head appears on an aggressive pour but the color is great it's a very dark amber color.

Smell - A very nice bourbon smell the oakiness comes thru but it is not over powered but the slight alcohol smell, there is also some dark fruit and a little caramel

Taste - The taste is amazing great bourbon taste just like is the nose. The first thing you taste is bourbon then some dark fruit, and finally some of the caramel. I find that the alcohol is very well hidden for being 13.5%

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation for the style, the body was a little thin when compared to others in this style but I found the medium body to well complement the flavors. Just like in the taste you can tell the alcohol is there but it is very nicely done.

Drinkability - This has scary good drinkablilty for 13.5% this is hands down my favorite English Barley wine that I have ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +6.7%

I love barrel-aged barleywines and have been wanting to try this for some time. Kicked myself for not going out to the mall in Portland when it was available as late as February 2009, and thankfully to a generous trader, I was able to acquire a bottle which I still hold.

My review is for a 2009 bottle which I consider myself lucky enough to have gotten a few bottles of, thus affording me the opportunity to open one up. The 2009 StormWatcher batch was aged in the same Evan Williams barrels as the 2008 batch was.

Whoa, this beer's aroma is pungent with vapors of vanilla, alcohol, and sweet malts as I removed the gold foil and opened it. A dark ruby/mahogany color fills my glass with a little head but there's some carbonation and lacing. Viscous, creamy, chewy, nutty, caramelly, toffee, and very bready. Can taste the oak character and bourbon as well.

This is definitely an easy sipping beer, if only to enjoy the complexities and enormity of this beer's character. I found myself inhaling the aroma each time I would sip, just to appreciate it. The alcohol presence is there but very drinkable in a smooth warming sense on the finish. I wouldn't have known it was a 13% abv.

The buzz around this beer seems to be picking up. It's no longer a NW secret, and it shouldn't be because this is an absolutely fantastic barrel-aged barleywine. It's a keeper.

3.75/5  rDev -15.7%

4.25/5  rDev -4.5%

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance - Very dark in color with a reddish tint to it. The head fizzled away very quickly. Good amount of carbination.

Smell - At first it smelled very fruity to me, but then the toffee/syrupy smell came on strong with hints of bourbon. Right at the end it really reminds me of a raw dough smell heh. The smell is great and very strong, I could smell it as soon as I popped the cap.

Taste - The toffee and the caramel really shine through in the taste along with the alcohol.

Mouthfeel - It is quite fizzy which I like.

Drinkability - Goes down alright, think it would go great with a hardy meal of some sorts.

Edit for 2010 MoAS

Much of the same as the last year, but more vanilla/marshmellow flavor and smell. I'd say this years is better and one of the best beers out there. So I am giving a 5. The drinkability is insane consider the ABV.

4.25/5  rDev -4.5%

Tasted along side King Henry and Abacus in one night.

A: Deep Chocolatey brown, light brown head that didn't produce much head or leave any lacing.

S: Bourbon Bourbon and more Bourbon, with some roasty toasty malt in there.

T: Great complexity of flavor, Even with the Big Bourbon flavor this beer is balanced enough to taste some really good malt profile. The finish was a little odd for me, I can't put words to the flavor but it just tasted different and not that good on swallowing.

M: Hard to hide 13.5% in there, this thing def tasted and felt like a High ABV beer. Carbonation was a lil low.

O: Drinking this next to Abacus I would have to rate it just below because of the weird after taste, if it weren't for that the complexity of flavor was better. King Henry is in a league of his own. This was a really good beer, def something I would want to sip around a campfire.

Mother Of All Storms from Pelican Pub & Brewery