Mother Of All Storms - Pelican Pub & Brewery

Wants: 1,413
Pelican Pub & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

English Barleywine |  14.00% ABV

First Release - November 2008 'The Perfect Storm'
2007 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

Second Release - October 2009 'The Perfect Storm'
2008 Stormwatcher's Winterfest Barleywine, aged in 1998 Evan Williams Bourbon Barrels.

***NOTE - Third Release - November 2010 The name was changed to 'Mother of All Storms' for trademark reasons.***

Fourth Release - November 2011

31.7 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 13.5% by volume
Bitterness: 40 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Of All Storms Alström Bros
drabmuh

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle shared by Dan, thanks!

Beer poured into a Russian River glass. Beer is amber, dark, and mostly clear with a thin broken head of small bubbles, some lacing and low carbonation. Looks good.

Aroma is malty and warm with bourbon, liquor, oak and mild vanilla, smells nice.

It is a little warm at the lead off but overall its a medium bodied beer with sweetness and alcohol at the front. The palate opens up in the middle with oakiness and more sweetness, from the bourbon. The finish of the beer is clean and a little dry but it doesn't dry out my palate. It's big but the alcohol is balanced well with the flavors of the malt and the barrel character. It's very drinkable, although it is a sipper.

12-13-2010 22:07:31 | More by drabmuh
SocalKicks

10-11-2013 14:18:38 | More by SocalKicks
jlindros

4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

Wow, review # 1000! I never imagined I would make it this far. It's been an interesting road, some good beers, some bad drain pours, some surprises. I've learned a lot over the time. But yet, there are so many more to go. So for awesome number 1000, comes one I've been waiting for for a while. As I could not land a Kaggen! this is a good rebound. Thanks to imperialking for this beauty. This is the '09 vintage.

I keep balking at opening it, not quite sure if I want to yet, but I've come this far, and I need an awesome beer for the 1000th, so here. I finally bite my tongue and pop! It pours a very small fizzy but darker colored bubbled head that fades to little pockets of bubbles fairly quickly. The beer itself is super dark, barely any light getting through on the edges, revealing a ruby molasses brown color.

The nose wafted out as soon as it cracked open, with bourbon just pouring out. Lots of great bourbon aromas, some oak, toasty oak, a bit of vanilla coming from that. That rounds off the awesome malt aromas, plenty of dark malts and reddish malts all smashed together in a big heavy nose. Some dark fruits, hints of plum and date/fig, candy aroma like the candy on a candy covered apple, plenty of caramel and vanilla, some light chocolate, light bitter chocolate and creamy, very light hint of booze, and a nice soft aged malt aroma. So heavenly, complex, and just awesome. As it warms the bourbon comes out a bit more, bringing some woody esters with it too. I just hope the taste doesn't let down now.

Taste starts rich and creamy, lots of dark malts, chocolate, very light roast, some reddish malts, creamy smooth malts, rich and luscious, some dark fruits again bringing fig, plum, hint of raisin, and more, which gives a nice chocolate covered raisin and candy flavor. Then again loaded with bourbon flavor, not so much as the nose and as it would be fresh I imagine, but a really nice bourbon flavor. Some light toasted oak and barrel flavor coming with that delicious bourbon. THere is also a light warming booze, and hint of tingly booze as I hold it in my mouth for about a minute. Some aged soft malt flavors come through, like a nice old ale or, sic, barleywine. A light juicy malt bomb, light smooth and creamy oat feel, it has quite a smooth but heavy stout feel as well, almost like a cross between a big stout and barleywine. I get the slightest hint of earthy hops, adding a light bitterness to the nice sweetness and luscious feel. Hints of molasses and caramel, as well as vanilla, round off the complex and awesome flavor. As it finishes, a mouth coating malt flavor just sticks all over, reminding me of the flavor for a few minutes, a very slight tingle from the booze comes and goes quickly. It drinks much smoother than 13.5%. A light chocolate and candy flavor linger, as well as aged malts and dark fruits, the bourbon is mostly gone at this point.

Mouth is full bodied, fairly heavy, luscious, smooth, thick, and a little velvety, with lower but decent enough carbonation for an aged barleywine.

Overall, I'm very impressed. I was glad this was #1000. It definitely lived up to the hype, and maybe more. Lots of delicious soft aged dark malts, chocolate, dark fruits, caramel, vanilla, bourbon, oak, very complex but very tasty. No real off flavors at all, even with all the dark malts there was no minerality quality or burnt flavors. The booze is there but drinks well for 13.5%. Very slight hops there, but not much, which I'm sure is helpful for aging it, and perhaps I should try it fresh sometime. A slow drinker, but I could sip this all day. The one negative at all is the lack of carbonation, but then again almost 2 years old, a heavy slightly syrupy barleywine at 13.5% the lower carbonation doesn't hurt too much.

Yay, 1000 reviews! Release the balloons and confetti, just don't let them fall in my awesome beer. Thanks to all the awesome traders who helped me get here, and more in the future. Can't wait to try more awesome beers, and wish I could just sip beer all day and never have to work, but I gotta pay for the beer somehow. And now I'm enjoying this with a little bit of dark chocolate and it's so transcending, they accent each other so well, I'm in heaven.

03-20-2011 22:30:15 | More by jlindros
Rifugium

4.88/5  rDev +9.4%

First had: bottle from Beaumont Market, Portland, OR

Review for 2011 vintage.

Shared with the wife in the comfort of our home, this one was decanted into a Klokke Roeland globe for myself (a Cascade stem glass for her). Deep and dark, yet still eerily translucent, dark brown color mixed with a glistening bloody maroon, topped with a rocky beige head that retained for a surprisingly long time, and left some soapy lacing on the glass. Complex and tantalizing aroma of dark malty sugars, molasses, juicy dark fruits, and chocolate-covered cherries. Rarely do I give "5" ratings for taste, but I can't really bring myself to rate this beer anything less. Caramel, toffee, thick malts, molasses and milk chocolate up front, a segue of almonds leading to a mid-palate cascade of raisins, figs, black cherries, sherry, brandy, red grapes, and finishing off with flavors of cigar-grade tobacco, vanilla-tinged, wood-soaked bourbon, and a deep-seated earthiness. If that weren't enough, the mouthfeel was intensely creamy and velvety smooth, full-bodied, almost too drinkable, though pretty hot from the alcohol, but you have to expect that from a beer like this. I have a few more bottles of this that I'm going to let age for a while. I'm sure they'll prove to be interesting in a few years.

03-11-2012 12:23:29 | More by Rifugium
Mora2000

4.63/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle courtesy of thirdeye11.

2009 vintage. Pours brown with a very small tan head. Aroma is strong oak and bourbon. The flavor is complex, with vanilla, bourbon, chocolate and roasted malt. Medium mouthfeel and very drinkable. This beer didn't disappoint.

12-31-2009 22:50:36 | More by Mora2000
oline73

4.08/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay goblet. I had this at a tasting with finewinemike and Arenbeer. Was super excited to get to try this.

Appearance: Pours a mahogany color with hardly any head at all. The head goes away completely almost right away.

Smell: Very sweet with vanilla, toffee, dark fruit and some warm booze.

Taste: This is a really nice and complex barleywine. Sweet toffee, bourbon, vanilla, and dark fruit all show up. The finish has a slight bitterness to it along with some warm alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thicker side and mildly sticky. The carbonation is mild and the finish is a bit slick.

Overall: A very tasty beer, but I wasn't as blown away as I expected to be. Great depth of flavors and I will seek it out again, but I do think I have had some barleywines I enjoy just a bit more.

10-24-2011 01:03:13 | More by oline73
mdfb79

4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

From 12/12/10 notes. Brought to a local tasting, poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. 2010 MoaS vintage.

a - Pours a nice mahogany brown color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Leaves a little bit of lacing.

s - Smells of caramel malts, dark fruits, bourbon, molasses, oak, and light vanilla. I loved the smell; I thought it was very complex and balanced, and I didn't think the bourbon overpowered the nose. One of the better smelling barleywines I've had.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, molasses, caramel malts, dark fruits, chocolate, and light vanilla. Alcohol is definitely present, but again, not overpowering. I like it.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and creamy. Feels amazing.

d - I thought this was a really good barleywine; one of the better ones I've had. I loved the nose and think for the ABV, it is pretty drinkable. Glad I've got some more of this, looking forward to holding onto most of them.

12-16-2010 01:01:59 | More by mdfb79
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

Let me just start off by saying that this is fantastic beer that really shows what barrel-aging is capable of doing with a high-quality base beer. Of course using the finest quality barrels also adds to the complexities found in this elixir.

Appearance is really a deep brown when observed at table level but when held to the light a russet and golden edged sunburst color is apparent. Little to no head is produced with a vigorous pour, but that's not to say there isn't any carbonation. Surprisingly no legs are visible even when the beer is swirled to release it's outstanding aroma. At this level of alcohol legs were, to me, a forgone conclusion.

On to that outstanding smell. Where to begin!! Deep dark, Belgian chocolate, star anise, fresh, home-made caramel, intoxicating booze (high quality), very slight pine and resin, a minute amount of top-shelf soy sauce and a roasty bourbon char and the requisite vanilla underpinnings.

The taste is not nearly as sweet as I thought it would be. It almost reminds me of a Amontillado sherry in how the nose would leave you to believe that a serious dose of sweetness (toffee, honey, turbinado sugar) was coming your way, only to produce the hint of those sticky sweet flavors you expect to swirl around in your mouth. Very intriguing and very more-ish. The Storm also has a hint of hazelnuts in is lasting finish.

Mouthfeel is thick, rich and viscous - almost decadent. Not a great deal of carbonation, but enough to suit the style perfectly.

This is a sipper folks, but the best kind of sipper possible - warm, friendly and lets face it, intoxicating - the kind of beer that leads to reflection and contemplation. This is a beer for late fall, early winter when the trees are barren and the first signs of frost blanket the earth. Take out your favorite beer book, start a fire and relax.

Update: This has become my favorite Barleywine over the years. I look forward to buying a case each year. This is the ONLY beer I buy by the case!! I'm drinking my last 2012 as the leaves fall and thunderstorms roll in. This is why I drink beer. Perfection!

11-24-2009 22:03:30 | More by Rochefort10nh

beernads

02-08-2013 10:15:59 | More by beernads
kojevergas

3.9/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with gold-foil-ed over standard pry-off pressure cap acquired as part of a trade and served into a Guinness stem-goblet glass in me parents’ gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado during my annual Christmas tasting. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given Duff27's recommendation and its current 99 rating. No ABV is listed on the bottle. 2012 vintage (Bottled 11/05/12. Reviewed as a barrel-aged barleywine because it's identified as such on the label.

Served cold – straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it’s poured.

Pours a half finger wide head of rich shiny khaki colour. Nice thickness and creaminess. Head retention is poor - about 15 seconds. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a rich dark amber. Understated and classy. No floating yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it’s an appealing appearance for the style. I’m really looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Bourbon character is plentiful, but there's no distinct vanilla/oak character. Nice amber malts, bready/breadcrust-evoking malts, and rich malty character. Not too sweet nor too bitter.

No hop character or yeast character is detectable.

Unfortunately, the bourbon overwhelms the base beer.

A pleasant aroma of moderate to high strength.

T: Great bourbon-evocative notes - plenty of vanilla and oak, but not real authentic vanilla bean or toasty oak barrel. Amber malts. Bready malts. Some bread crust. Caramel. Maybe some sherry wine. A hint of marshmallow. A hint of graham cracker.

Has lots of subtlety. Nice complexity, nuance, and intricacy.

Good depth, intensity, and duration of flavour.

It's real well balanced. Has a nice pleasant boozy warmth that I really dig. I don't get any spice.

No yeast character or hop character is detectable.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Well-carbonated. Good body, thickness, and presence on the palate. Has a decent softness to it.

Not oily, gushed, hot, astringent, harsh, or rough.

Dr: Pretty drinkable for the barrel aging and ABV, but still a sipper. Rich and decadent. I really like it. I'd definitely get it again. Really good stuff. I'll have to seek out more Pelican brews. Many thanks to Duff27 for the bottle. Age I think has done it well. Dead-on for a barleywine. The barrel notes complement the base beer nicely; there's some development of flavour there.

High B+

imperialking

11-19-2011 17:47:21 | More by imperialking
corby112

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a very dark amber/chestnut brown color with ruby mahogany edges and a one finger light beige head that quickly fades into a lasting ring that leaves sporadic spots of lacing behind.

Sweet caramel malt aroma with hints of honey, toffee, hazelnut and earthy leathery malts. Sweet alcohol, earthy oak and a boat load of vanilla accompanying the subtle bourbon character. There was not as much bourbon in the nose as I had expected and this is a nice change of pace. Very complex with a lot of interesting aromas going on here.

Nice soft carbonation up front with a medium body that's on the fuller end. Promient oaky tannis and a huge vanilla character from the oak aging. The bourbon is ore prominent in the flavor than in the aroma but again it isn't overpowering but rather is a nice compliment to the other complex flavors. There's also a bit of dark fruit, especially raisin, fig and date balancing out the earthy leathery malt notes. The bourbon presence provides a bit of alcohol warmth but this beer is dangerously drinkable considering how well the high ABV is masked. Extremely smooth and if I didn't share this bottle with some other BAs I would have probably killed myself by drinking it too fast. This is one of the best beers I've ever had and I can't recommend it and higher!

12-06-2009 01:13:02 | More by corby112
yourefragile

District of Columbia

01-18-2013 01:23:24 | More by yourefragile
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.88/5  rDev -35.4%

2009 -The Perfect Storm
A: Poured a deep brown with good carbonation.

S: Nose is bourbon, booze and vanilla.

T: Taste is off because I thought it was poorly carbonated. I did find notes of bourbon, toasted grains, caramel, toffee, dark fruits and booze. This beer was all over the place. Not a subtle barleywine and I have had many barrel aged bwines which were capabale of pulling flavors together much better.

M: Mouthfeel is hot and bourbon but mainly because I did not find much on mouthfeel to help balance it out. There is a sherry like quality to it

O: I struggled and wanted to give it an A but no dice
///
2011-Mother of All Storms ampled 1/8/2012 and 12/1/2012

A: Poured a medium brown with a nice tan cap and some bubbles

S: I get a unique cotton candy nose on this with toffee, brown sugar, bourbon and booze

T: Immediate atringency with brown sugar and toffee, a little bit of residual sugar, bourbon midway with some pungent heat. I managed to pick up some light leather, vanilla and cocoa

M: Medium body but I still feel this beer was carbonated a bit high for the style, seemed a bit thin on the back end, perhaps due to the heat. Booze and a syrupy sweetness on the back end and an odd twang to boot I can best describe as liquid dirt.

O: Originally I gave this a cut above average. I c have changed my mind. After afting the first runs, vintages and fresh I still believe this beer is thin, hot and off balanced. The tannins on this beer just a killer for me. In no way is this a true to style English Bwine and I feel by taste, experience and BJCP standards this is a poor showing.

12-02-2012 19:39:17 | More by barleywinefiend
oriolesfan4

08-11-2013 21:26:04 | More by oriolesfan4
zestar

11-04-2013 14:01:54 | More by zestar
akorsak

3.28/5  rDev -26.5%

Thanks to Foofaa for sharing this bottle at the Brass Rail last night.

A: The barleywine is a coffee look-alike, dark and brown and opaque. The depth of color makes me think of a stout. Surprisingly, at least to me, there is really no head whatsoever. All that remains, from first pour to last sip, is a miniscule off-white band.

S: The nose has plenty of toffee to go around. The malts are unmistakable, thick and rich. I'd even posit that molasses is sitting there. There really isn't any indication of a barrel.

T: The barleywine is very hot, leaving a burning sensation with each sip. The booze can't hide amongst the excessive malts. Those malts have toffee and molasses, paired with some chocolate, and are heavily roasted. Very thick, I feel like I should be chewing what is in my glass. As in the nose, there really isn't anything that screams barrel, or even barrel-blended.

M: Beware the heat, this baby isn't afraid to drop the booze on you. The maltiness is blindingly thick, drowning out any barrel and any real enjoyment.

D: Number 10 (as of right now)? Really? Give me JW Lee's Harvest Ale or Gratitude any time of this. Too messy, I just can't get into it.

03-12-2010 23:32:38 | More by akorsak
orangesol

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks to whoever brought this one to Imminent Liquidation II. Bottle from 2011, not my first run in with this one.

A - Pours dark caramel brown with a decent one finger tall khaki colored head leaving small streaks of lace down the glass.

S - Smells of toffee, caramel, vanilla, dark fruits, oak, molasses and plenty of bourbon booze. This one still smells a little too hot for my liking but still very nice.

T - Starts off with plenty of sugary sweetness - mostly toffee, caramel, vanilla, dark fruits, etc. - quickly giving way to the hot bourbon booze and some dry oak tannins. Finish is best described as sweet bourbon heat, lingering long after consumption.

M - Big, boozy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. The carb goes a little flat as it sits in the glass and the booze is still way too strong.

O - I remember when I had this beer for the first time. It was a 2009 bottle, consumed in early 2010, and it was the #10 overall beer in the world. At the time I thought that was WAY too high. I have had it twice since then and it is still very good, but the best I have ever had? No way.

03-28-2012 16:02:28 | More by orangesol
stakem

4.55/5  rDev +2%

2010 release, big thanks to Joe for hooking me up with this, shared with Smoked.

Poured into a snifter, this brew appears a deep dark ruby color with a hint of almost purple about it that is fairly clear and plum-like in appearance. A finger of frothy yellowish stained tan head appears and fades leaving spots atop the brew and on the glass.

The aroma is deep and fruity like plums, raisin, toffee, caramel and sweet, smooth vanilla notes. The barrel aged and bourbon presence in this brew is amazing. The vanilla aspect is amazing, it's one of my favorite characteristics of barrel aged brews. The abv tingles the nose with a fusel touch and light medicinal quality and herbal smelling hops. Overall the smell of this brew is quite candied sweet and enjoyable. The alcohol gets a bit tangy as it warms.

The taste is bold with alcohol and contrasted with herbal hops that give way to a light medicinal flavor. The bold flavors of this brew part to show a light oxidized quality, herbal hops and a drying sense of alcohol. Notes of oak and the barrel aging presence of vanilla flavoring mix with toffee and caramel sweetness. More sips yield dark fruity flavors like raisin, plum, dates and an overall candied sweetness.

This is a medium to full bodied brew with a lighter level of carbonation but not too low. This is an exceptional brew. The abv is fitting and not distracting with all the other flavors. A very solid sipper with a toasted quality that only evolves as it warms. Fantastic brew that satisfies the sweet tooth.

04-07-2011 19:09:52 | More by stakem
InspectorBob

09-30-2013 12:59:46 | More by InspectorBob
dbrauneis

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottle share in Hoboken, NJ.

2010 Vintage.

A: Pours a slightly hazy mahogany in color. The beer has a thin light beige head that reduces to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. No lacing is observed.

S: This beer has a lot of caramel/toffee/molasses sweetness as well as a heavy presence of dark fruits (plums and figs).

T: The beer was very sweet tasting, not quite cloying but still very sweet. There is a lot of caramel/toffee/molasses malt sweetness and a heavy presence of dark fruits (plums mostly but a little fig). Some light bourbon presence and a hint of oakiness. Some very light alcohol present in the finish.

M: Medium to full bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

O: There is a nice complexity in the flavor and aroma of this beer but there is a heavy sweetness and some alcohol presence. This beer is a definite sipping beer and a very nice one at that... Glad to try this and hope to get another vintage at some point in the future.

04-15-2012 17:50:07 | More by dbrauneis