Golden Glory - Badger Brewery, Hall and Woodhouse

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-20-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.53/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Golden amber, half a finger of head that disappears to nothing. Peaches and nectarines are overwhelming in both aroma and taste. Decent mouthfeel.

Regrettably this beer doesn't really work; the flavour is too sweet for starters, but more to the point it is too artificial. It's as if someone has taken a regular pale ale and added fruit cordial to it. Unfortunately I've had similar feelings about other Badger beers: overwhelmed by one, specific artificial flavour.

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

A – Golden amber in colour this one claims to be peachy and have a hint of melon.
S – As soon as you crack the bottle the smell of peach and nectarine is very obvious. Slight smell of charred wood.
T – The taste of peach follows through when you drink it however the melon is only the slightest hint and may well be lost on many a pallet. What you are not told to expect is the nice after taste that comes from the malted barley that has made its way in there. On the sniff you might detect a hint of charred wood similar to a ‘lap sang Souchong’ and this last flavour teases the tongue when you drink making you wonder if you taste it at all, but it is most definitely there.
MF – Buttery and a little oily but I was actually able to handle this quite well although it would not be a feel I like.
O – Badger beers are a good starting point for anyone wanting to get into tasting and the fun to be had there, mainly because they give a very concise explanation of what to expect from the beer on the back of the bottle. A little fruity for my taste and not my first choice from the Badger range this is still a fine beer and a great drink with dessert or on a cold day.

3.09/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle: clear bottle (booo!) with okay label. The Badger is cute.

Appearance: looks like dark pee after someone hasn't had enough water. However, a fantastic head, nice and thick with great lacing.

Aroma: quite a strong yet pleasant peach aroma, quite sweet.

Taste: the peach is there, with some light watermelon. Doesn't taste like a fruit beer though, more a flavoured pilsener.

Aftertaste: reasonably buttery in feel, however the body is quite watery with a slight oiliness.

Mouth feel: reasonably buttery in feel, however the body is quite watery with a slight oiliness.

Overall: not a bad beer, but neither is it great. Kind of tastes like a peach cider. Seems reasonably well made, but too sweet for me. And at AU$105+ for an equivalent case of 24 x 330mL bottles, I think I'll leave this one alone.

3.34/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a nice and white head. Golden amber color. Very low carbonation with tiny bubbles.
Clear peach aroma, some cantaloupe as well.
Taste follows aroma, very peachy and sweet. Mild bitterness with a watery ending. I believe this fruity combination would demand more carbonation and something zesty to make it more pleasant.

2.31/5  rDev -26.4%

Bottle from my grilfriend's mom, brought this 500ml back from England. Clear bottle, with a best befor date of January 12, no year specified.

Pours gold, with a tinge of orange. Short fizzy white head appears but retains a quite solid layer. Filtered, and good lacing. Nose of peach and melon (as advertised) are prominent, but this one is massively skunked. This does no justice to the clear bottling. Taste is even worse, with some peaches and a weird cheesiness. Skunked clearly, and theres some butter/diacetyl too. Ugh. Mouthfeel has medium carb, and relatively decent feel in light of this. Choked half of this back before drainpouring this. Definitely not as pleasant as it could be, surely.

2.68/5  rDev -14.6%

A 500ml clear glass bottle with a BB of Jan 2012. This ale has peach blossom added to the mix.

Poured into a Sam Smith's pint glass. A clear golden colour with considerable carbonation. Forms a foamy white head that subsides after a couple of minutes. A distinctive peach aroma - it's the first thing that hits you. It also has a strong buttery smell which is overpowering and unpleasant. A hint of malt, but the overall impression is derailed by the buttery odour.

The flavour is light malt with a sweet floral peach note. The peach blossom adds a obvious fruity element, but it's different from a fruit beer. An unpleasant buttery note is also present, and contaminates the taste. There is a crisp light bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth with an oily slickness on the tongue.

Not great. This is the second Badger ale I've had where I experienced an undesirable buttery note. I wonder if it's something to do with the brewing process or yeast? Or maybe the addition of wheat to the malt bill? Anyway, although there are some nice floral notes and a decent finish, I felt that this was ruined. Not a pleasant drink, and I won't be trying it again in a hurry.

3.84/5  rDev +22.3%

I'm actually very pleasantly surprised by this beer. Once opened and poured, the floral and peach/melon aroma hits you quite pungently, and is very nice.

Drinking it, it seems to be highly carbonated. The peach/watermelon can be found quite subtley as a sweetness at the staet, as can the taste of the hops, which I find very nice. The bitterness from the hops tasted in the middle seems to be counteracted well by the sweetness of the fruit on the finish, leaving you with no bitter aftertaste. There is, however, not much of an aftertaste to be found at all.

Overall a nice beer, I like sweet things so I would buy again. It's also nice to see breweries trying something different, and makes a good change from a bitter or a stout. Yes, this is defintely a summer drink. (He says whilst sat inside on a February Afternoon!)

3.22/5  rDev +2.5%

500ml bottle, consumed Jan 2011, BBE Dec 2011.

A - Amber colour with a slight peach hue, brief head which dissipated quickly leaving virtually no lacing.

S - Very noticeable smell of peaches which was quite surprising; from their website they mention "a subtle addition of extract of peach blossom" which really produces a notable peach aroma.

T - Peach and floral tastes are also quite evident in the taste, with a dry, slightly bitter finish and peach aftertaste.

M - Slightly fizzy carbonation, quite a light mouthfeel.

D - It is certainly a very drinkable beer, very nice for a warm Summer day. I don't know that I would want to drink several of them in a session because they're very sweet, but for one or two they're quite pleasant.

2.89/5  rDev -8%

Dark amber pour with a stunning persistent creamy head leaving loads of lacing.
Aroma has loads of sweet and juicy peach, like peach jelly or peach iced tea. As delicious as this is, unfortunately it blocks out any malt or hop characteristics that may be hiding underneath.
Flavours are better balanced, though still not up to scratch. Peach is still quite dominant, but there is some caramel malt notes followed by a weak, non-descript bitterness.
Body is too light.

4.22/5  rDev +34.4%

colour is a peachy golden with nice white head - quite enticing

I m NOT a fan of fruit beers but this has NO fruit added - it still manages to smell and tatse stronly of peaches with some melon and that s entirely clean tatse and smell with slightly bitter floral hop finish

Only downside is a slight coating it leaves and dry aftertaste

3.79/5  rDev +20.7%

OK, If you don't like fruity beers you may not like this one. But I think giving it a chance may surprise you.

A - Nice looking, golden blonde with a nice normal sized head that became a long lasting film by the end of the beer with very little lacing.

S - Intense Peaches and a bit of Melons. Smells like a delicious fruit salad.

T - Much like it smelled. Heavey on the peach and Melon with a floral hoppy kick at the end. Very clean finish. I like the fruity beers, especially on a nice summer day so this went down well. It is not as sweet as it smelled.

M&D - A bit thin, could have more of a body to it but still very refreshing and clean. Although I could drink many of these, I don't think I would choose to.

Great beer for people who are not into craft beers but like sweet fruity alcoholic beverages.

3.95/5  rDev +25.8%

500ml Brown bottle, drank very close to its best by date. Poured into a vase shaped 'Old Speckled Hen' pint glass.

Good looking beer, fine amber colour with an off-white foaming head. The body was bright and clear.

Incredible peach aroma, they claim to add extract of peach blossom to the brew, well you can certainly smell it.

The beer is far from sweet, but that peach blossom does come through in the flavours too. A good 'bite' to the beer, tangy and hoppy too.

I am not a big fruit beer or sweet beer sort of guy, but this beer realy impressed me. Had I read the label more carefully I doubt I'd have bought it, but glad I did. The 4.5% alcohol holds up well and although I have reviewed plenty of beers from this brewery, this is one of the best in my opinion.

4.32/5  rDev +37.6%

500 mL poured into a glass.

Read the label before drinking, just by chance. The label told me to expect peach and melon in the aroma--I honestly wasn't expecting to actually find it. Often the marketing tags on the label are just that.

Completely surprised to find strong peach in both the aroma and the taste. Color is a light copper/dark amber with medium head and lacing.

I don't typically like fruit beers. I don't mind undertones that come through the hops or malts, but I don't like beers with added fruit flavors (at least the ones I've tried), as the fruit flavor overpower the beers (same way I don't like flavored coffees--let the subtleties of the beans come through instead).

I'm not sure how they got this strong peach flavor without adding peaches, but it really works. I agree with others when they say this probably isn't an American blonde ale. It seems rather that it's an English pale--but yet the peach throws that off a bit. If you took away the peach, you'd have a moderately bitter, typical English pale ale, but when you add the peachiness to it . . . Anyway the hop bitterness and peachy sweetness complement each other well in my opinion.

Would definitely drink this again!

3.24/5  rDev +3.2%

500ml bottle:

I'm also unsure that Badger had An American Blonde in mind when they came up with this!

It has a pinkish copper hue with a decent head. Starts with very little flavour and an explosion of very bubbles pricking the tongue. At this point it seems I am drinking flavoured mineral water. Then as the bubbles fade Badger's stock, rather creamy, grainy flavour comes through. It ends with a faint peachy aftertaste.

Not unpleasant and eminently drinkable, but I'd prefer something with a little more substance. Definitely one for the summer months only.

3.94/5  rDev +25.5%

Oddly enough I didn't find this too be too much like an American blonde ale, so I'm just going to state that fact and ignore it like I don't know what style it is.

A> Dark honey colour.Small white head. Lively.

S> PEACHES! with some hops. interesting

T> more complex tasting than I expected. a good balance of bitterness and the sweet peach flavor not too sweet thank goodness.

M> pretty nice

D> Good ale for a summer day!

3.37/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured a clear golden hue, with a minimal head and next to no lacing. Again, freshness is a mild problem with English Ales coming to Australia, but they still taste damn fine.

A huge sweet peach smell dominates the nose. There is some slight bready quality and mild hoppiness, but it is all about the sweet peach.

A sweetish peach taste, and hints of passionfruit trail off with a sligh hoppy floral finish.

It is quite a light brew, but very drinkable. I still think it pales compared to the Golden Champion, but still a nice drop.

3.23/5  rDev +2.9%

A golden, copper beer with a creamy, stable head with moderate lacing on the glass.

Smell of winegums, the green ones that is. Fruity and syrupy smells with lemon, lavender and old women's soap whiffs.

On the label I read now that this beer has a peach aroma. Damn, that's it! Still I get the winegum taste. Pretty extreme and artificial fruity with peachy taste. I hate to admit that I did not get the peach smell and taste immediatelly. Hops are absent, or at least they are not tasted. Body is quite thin. Drinkability is good.

I finished the glass and I am still not sure if I liked it. For sure it is a good thirst quenching beer, but it will bore me after 2 glasses.

2.94/5  rDev -6.4%

I suppose if there was a category for peach flavoured beers this might rank highly. However, ranking it against "normal" beers, I have to score it low. It's certainly one you either like or don't as reviews tend to go high or low. Color is orangish amber, head is light and fleeting. Aroma is dominated by peach - it's a bit of a shock if, like me, you didn't read the label. The taste is quite pleasant absent the peach - which is of course the whole thing.

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

A - Light copper coloured beer with a few centimetres of tight white head that falls away fairly quickly.
S - Just like the label says - Peach - it dominates. Smells like peach juice.
T - Peach also comes through with the taste but luckily there is a caramel malt that reminds you that you are actually drinking beer.
M - Light to medium bodied, fairly high carbonation.
D - Nice enough but too much fruit ruins the sessionability. Is that a word?

3.7/5  rDev +17.8%

This is a very different type of beer. Upon asking the wife to get me "my usual" in the shopping she appeared with this, I had never even seen it before. However I was very surprised.

This pours into the glass with a nice amber colour throughout, slightly cloudy and almost no head. The fruitiness, especially peaches, dominate the nose although there are also hints of floral scents.

This fruity dominates continues through to the taste especially peaches but also with a hint of citrus, which is actually nicer than it sounds. The beer is light and crisp in the mouth, but it has some body, seperating it from a lager.

This was taken on a warm summers night and went down very well, several more of these were taken and it never once made me feel bloated.

I imagine this is a beer you will either love or hate, don't go buying a bunch of these try one in the weekly shop and then decide. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I don't think I it is a winter beer.

1.67/5  rDev -46.8%

Purchased from Waitrose in Surrey. Second in the line of a four pack I've been stewing on...
Hard pour garnered a golden brew with just about no head, even after some heavy mixing. Loads of soda like carbonation and no lacing.
Smells overly flowery, like those crappy candle joints at the mall.
A carbonated peach soda mess with some cheap apricot syrup added for sugarness. Light bubbly mouthfeel with lingering artificial peachy flavor. Ugh. Would've been better to use for potpouri.

Overall: A drain pour, three hefty drinks for the review were more than enough. Judging by the other reviews, I'm not the only one with the opinion. Had me thinking caveat emptor. I passed over a few bottles of landlord to take a four pack of badger back to the US. If only I had one of them fancy phones where I could search the internet prior to purchase.

1.9/5  rDev -39.5%

Nice deep honey straw color, decent head, a little sticky.

The nose is - woah! - something's not right here, surely. Huge and intense floral and fruity. Grapefruit, peach, flowery, melon. The peach is not subtle at all, just pervasive and unpleasant. There's some hops back in there as well.

Taste is peachy with bittering hops afterwards, okay malt underneath. Drying herbal tea aftertaste. Not impressed.

I don't know whose idea this was. Back to the drawing board.

3.64/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

500ml Bottle bought from the Sainsburys...

Poured a deep golden / amber colour... Head was white, big and foamy with quite big beading and disappeared quite quickly...

Aroma - Strong peach and pear, vanilla, very sweet and sugary, very floral...

Taste – Not as sweet as the smell would indicate, floral, strong peach, very slight hop notes, nutty...

Feel - Sharp with medium amount of carbonation...

Overall - An OK ale, although probably not something i would drink again...

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Got this bottle from my local Sainsbury's, when it was on sale.
In a goblet it pours a clear orange amber hue, with a minimum beerhead and very low carbonation. The nose is just what it says on the label, "peach blossom", and also like sweet, concentrated peach juice. The juicy note is too overpowering, I must say. The palate is slightly tartly sweet peachy and floral, while at the back it turns quite flat with a tinge of weak floral bitterness and finished with a slightly "conflicting" mouthfeel which one gets after drinking concentrated juice. On balance the taste is too light, or maybe too heavy on the peachy theme, while hops and malts are very inconsiderable which result in a serious lack of depth and body. This beer is not my cup of tea, though it's not so undrinkable.

2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

Appearance: deep gold, great clarity, thin layer of fluffy white foam but poor head retention

Aroma: light malt, perfumy melon, flowery hops, plums, peaches

Flavor: mild malt sweetness, slight acidity, wild flowers (or at least the taste of the smell of flowers... if you know what I mean), soapy hop flavor, stiff but somewhat mild bitterness, finishes dry with an aftertaste of perfume and cellulose

Mouthfeel: medium body, mild carbonation

Other comments: Weird! Apparently they add extract of peach blossom to this beer. That would account for the faceful of peach perfume when you bring the glass to your mouth. I'm guessing it also accounts for that soapy taste. I could see using this in a wit or something like that, but it doesn't really have a place in a beer with any amount of maltiness or hoppiness (the flavors "clash").

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast