Winter Ale - Telegraph Brewing Company

Winter Warmer |  7.10% ABV

Beer added by: JayTheFinn on 12-24-2006

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.91/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle picked up at the brewery. Copper red with a nice cream head. You can smell the cinnamon and spices with a hint of peppers. The mouth feel is sharp, spicy with a solid malt backing. The flavors are what you smell, cinnamon spice peppers. The chocolate coffee malts are in the background just a hint. This brew is a true winter warmer.

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.43/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

750ml brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork and a well-concocted straightforward label served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I actually quite like Telegraph. 7.5% according to my bottle; Batch number 117.

Served cold, straight from the fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption (the label advises to "enjoy it cool, rather than cold." Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Yields a satisfying pop upon removal of the cork. Adequate carbonation is anticipated.

A: Pours almost entirely foam - save for a finger's worth of actual body. The ambitious head is light khaki in colour, with good cream and thickness - and superb retention (7+ minutes). Overcarbonation is suspected. Body colour is a refined dark cherry-red; translucent and transparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. I really like the vibrant body; it's quite appealing for a winter warmer. No lacing as the head recedes.

Sm: Not at all what I expected. Dark ripe fruit; plum, grapeskin, maybe juicy pear. Pleasant spice like cinnamon, allspice (when I look for it), and nutmeg. Majestic raisin - really evocative. A bit of fig roll. I look for chili notes and don't find any. Caramel. Chocolate malt. I'd venture to say the fruit notes are actually dominant; surprising given what the label suggests they're going for. I expected a chocolatey chili-heavy winter warmer; this is not that. Biscuit malt. Belgian candi sugar. Very interesting and appealing. I'm intrigued. A moderate strength aroma. A bit of biscuity yeast does come through. I don't detect any alcohol.

T: The candi sugar hits me first. I notice the fig and the fruit after that - they're right there on the climax, with prominent raisin character. Not as much grapeskin as the aroma suggested. Sure, there're sprinklings of spice - cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe allspice. I don't get any chili notes; maybe I just don't know what sweet anchos are. I guess I expected hot or spicy chili notes but this is cool and refreshing in a fruity way. Caramel comes through. Nowhere near as much chocolate as I expected; it's just there as a light cocoa powder. The biscuity malts and candi sugar take centre stage here. I don't know that this tastes anything remotely like Mexican hot chocolate, but I do know that I like it. Balanced and well built. It's a bit on the simple side, but there's some subtlety here that I really appreciate. A pleasant surprise, overall.

Mf: Smooth and wet. It's actually undercarbonated, contrary to its appearance. Carbonation may be the biggest issue with this beer; it even starts to come off just a touch thin and watery as it warms. Good body and presence on the palate. Complements the flavour profile quite well but I don't know that it feels custom-tailored specifically to its flavours. Well-executed any way you slice it.

Dr: You have to drink this one with an open mind; it's probably not what you'd expect. Hides its ABV well. A solid winter warmer from Telegraph - a brewery that is quickly rising in my mental ranking of Californian breweries. Still, its price point is its biggest failing. Very drinkable and approachable; this would make a great introductory beer for the style but I don't know that it's convential per se. None of the toasted malt emphasis you find in most winter warmers is present here. It's intriguing and probably best regarded as a Belgian dark with a twist. And a such, it's quite a success. Bravo, Telegraph. I'd get this again on-draught or aged.

B-

3.62/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Batch # 117.

Pours a hazy dark orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, chile, slight cocoa, and a variety of Winter spices. Taste is much the same with earthy spice and chile flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some very earthy aromas and flavors.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

One of my favorite winter brews. Chocolate malt, allspice, and ancho pepper combine to create a complex and unique flavor.

2.9/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle to a Thistle
Labeled Batch 117

Appearance- pours a reddish brown with 3 fingers of light tan foam. coarse bubbles that linger a bit. No lacing and for a beer with a cork, I expected it to be a little more chapagne-y. Not that this is bad !

Aroma- cinnamon, clove, chili, all spice, a little carmel butterscotch in there.

Taste- clove, cinnamon, allspice a hint of butterscotch. Virtually no heat or presence from the chilies. maybe it is being eclipsed by the hops? Hops Chilis vegetal all smears. No distinct hop character.

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, the label says it was based on mexican hot chocolate, which I understood to be almost like a hot chocolate pudding, than a beverage. Maybe it needs some cacao nibs, chocolate malt, lactose, oats even? I do appreciate the carbonation level in this though, and the alcohol warmth is hidden well.

Overall- This one is spicey, I could see it pairing well with game meats, pumpkin pie or other desserts.
It is a valiant effort for a holiday ale and it is festive as a re-gifted fruitcake! But If I wanted chilies, i would go to a Stone Smoked Chipotle Porter. If I wanted Cocoa, I would go to a Young's Chocolate Stout, If I wanted Spice I would go to your favorite Pumpkin ale (Pumking/punkin?). This one maybe tries to do too much... I know It's hard to please everyone in SB. The Townies, the college kids, girls in Ugg Boots, surfers, Hippies, Oprah and her cronies, but Just be true to telegraph it'l come ! Dig the wit beer

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

Had on tap at The Jug Shop. 2011 Vintage.

Pours a deep plum, inch of head, nice lacing.

The smell has gingerbread, plum, spices galore and a nice caramel background.

The taste starts with dark fruit and nutmeg. This is closely followed by a heap of Christmas spices, cinnamon and clove being the most pronounced. Caramel and pine make an appearance as well. A little heavily carbonated for my taste.

Ages very very well. Not as much of a fan fresh though.

Winter Ale from Telegraph Brewing Company