Ysbrid Y Ddraig - Breconshire Brewery

Ysbrid Y DdraigYsbrid Y Ddraig

Breconshire Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (Wales)

English Strong Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: wl0307 on 08-22-2010)
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Reviewed from my notes. Served on cask as part of the NERAX @ Novare event. I had a 5oz pour served in my 10oz mini-Imperial pint glass. I was very excited to try this beer, and ordered it before GBBF 2010 champion beer Castle Rock Harvest Pale, but in the end, I was a little disappointed by it. Perhaps my expectations were a bit too high.

It is a clear golden orange liquid with a white bubbly head. A little bit of film coats my glass as I swirl the beer around.

The aroma is mostly dry oak and not much of the whiskey.

The flavor has a good pale malt base. Smoke, oak and whiskey are all apparent in the finish and aftertaste, but they show themselves in a different way than I am used to. It certainly tastes unlike any American barrel-aged beers I've had, or any of the JW Lees harvest ale barrel-aged varieties, which I all I have to base this one upon.

It has a medium body and low low carbonation (even for a cask ale). The coating is dry and provides a slight tingle--perhaps from the whiskey?

Overall, I find it to be pretty drinkable, but personally I am not a fan of the aftertaste. The 5 ounces I had was enough for me; there are too many other interesting beers at this festival for me to return to this one.

ToasterChef, Sep 30, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

(Notes of 06/08/2010) Tasted by a half-pint at the GBBF 2010, served by a swan-neck hand-pull in a straight imperial pint glass. NOTE: the beer is matured for a long period in oak whisky casks before being racked into firkins; this feature also makes it a "speciality ale", winning the Third Place in the Speciality Beer Category, GBBF 2010.

A: dark golden with reddish hues; a thick off-white froth settles gradually, on top of fine fizz.
S: at first the whisky notes (vanilla + lowland single malt + ripe melons) dominate, then estery fruitiness chimes in with pear-ish esters, while pale malts take over. Very light note of alc. is felt but not too much.
T: upfront comes mainly fruitiness like a strong bitter, featuring pear-ish fruits and orangey notes; biscuity malts follow, more in line with pale ales, featuring sherry-ish yeastiness and dry-ish mouthfeel of whisky, while restrained but still chewy hop bitterness and undertones of whisky linger nicely. In the finish, a restrained alc. warmth + vanilla notes outlast other elements.
M&D: smoothly-carbonated (slightly lacking fizziness, to be honest), med-bodied, a bit falling short of promises (for a 3rd-place-winner speciality beer) all in all, but still a nice beer worth a try.

wl0307, Aug 22, 2010
Ysbrid Y Ddraig from Breconshire Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.