Bohemian Garnet Lager - Hideji Beer

Hideji Beer visit their website

Vienna Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: Naerhu on 02-06-2006

2.95/5  rDev n/a

My first beer review from my new home of Miyazaki City, Miyazaki Prefecture, Japan. This beer comes from Nobeoka, a town about 90km from the prefectural capital. Best Enjoyed Before 2008.12.05.

It's always odd when a bunch of beers have been found and added to the BA database without anyone actually having tried them. Although it says on the bottle that this is a "Bohemian Garnet Lager", this is not in any way garnet in colour, and is certainly not a Vienna Red Lager. It's dark brown in colour, and has a striking similarity to a decent Munich Dunkel Lager in terms of head retention, carbonation and lacing.

In fact, that's the closest style I can think of to how this tastes. Just a black lager. Not sweet enough to be a Bock of any kind, just fairly acidic, not very hoppy, and not much aftertaste except a little sweetness on the palate.

In all, a pretty run-of-the-mill, acceptable dunkel lager as far as I'm concerned. I truly wonder why they call it a 'garnet lager' - maybe they're mistaken as to the meaning of garnet, or maybe it looks different on tap at the brewery or something.

Either way, I'll make the trip up to Nobeoka one weekend soon, and test the entire range. I'm really glad there's at least one microbrewery in Japan - I'm getting pretty sick of the ubiquitous happoushu, and I left my brewing stuff back in Australia! There are about seven or eight brews in the lineup, not sure of all the styles since they're a ridiculous 470 yen a bottle, while a normal can of beer from a vending machine is 150 yen. Can't afford to be drinking this all the time, but I can't wait to visit the brewery.

Japan needs better beer. This beer is a step in the right direction, but still it's not what I expected. I'm a bit disappointed because I was really expecting a Vienna red, but it's OK for what it is, a dark lager that tastes no different from a macro dark lager, only without the adjuncts.

Bohemian Garnet Lager from Hideji Beer
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.