Double Dragon - Felinfoel Brewery Co.

Double DragonDouble Dragon

Felinfoel Brewery Co. visit their website
United Kingdom (Wales)

English Pale Ale |  4.20% ABV

Double Dragon has an ABV of 4.2%. It is a full drinking, premium Welsh Ale, which is malty and subtly hopped. Double Dragon has a rich colour and smooth balanced character. This deep copper red ale has a tangy red fruit flavour with nutty, toffee overtones.

(Beer added by: Realale on 12-04-2002)
1.63/5  rDev -51.2%

Served from a cask into an English glass mug in Cardiff. Cost was 3.05 GBP. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head of soft cream, good thickness, and average retention. Colour is a transparent dark copper-amber colour.

Sm: Cream, lovely slight ester hops I can't identify, and light amber hops. Pretty light in strength.

T: Watery, with cream on the open. Flat barley forms the pathetic foundation. It's simple garbage, a casualty of CAMRA's blind support of cask ale. This is proof they're wrong.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and watery. Undercarbonated. Again, a victim of casking.

Dr: Might be better on draught. As is, it's worthless shite, and expensive at that. I'd have it again out of a better serving type - even a can, but this is just crap.

kojevergas, Oct 04, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -47.6%

Sharp looking beer. Shiney copper body with medium sized carbonation. Eggshell white head that leaves good sized ring lace.

Buttery is the first thing that comes to mind. Malts are breaded and the theme. Malts seem to be in the raw doughy stage of bread. There is a yeast presence as well that I seem to get in alot of beers from the UK. Samuel smiths uses this to perfection but this is just missing the character of a good english pale and granted very few make it here in good shape and some I imagine just aren't good period. This falls under the later statement, its just not good. Nothing spoiled about it, fairly mundane carbonation just can't do much for the mouthfeel, and the hops are non existent.

Notes: Ehhhh....Not terrible. Just not worth dollar bills.

DogFood11, Oct 13, 2006
1.88/5  rDev -43.7%

I bought a bottle of Double Dragon at a Welsh themed pub in Wellington, NZ. Forget the name of the pub but that famous Welsh song "Let's do the Time Warp Again" was playing as I walked in.

Besides being, at that time, the most expensive beer I ever bought, it was extremely underwhelming. In fact, with little head and little taste, I could have been excused for thinking it was dishwater. Perhaps that's what the Welsh drink.

SquidProQuo, Apr 07, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Purchases at Frugal MacDoogels on sheer whimsy becuase I used to LOVE Double Dragon on Nintendo, old school baby!

Pours out much darker than expected, a coppery carmelized honey color with 3 fingers of wheat hued foam. As the head settles, sticky walls of lace encrust my English standard pint glass.

Aromas start with honey and caramel malt sweetness, dried fruit skins, powdery rock minerality, and fragrent honeysuckle floral hops.

Unfortunately very little of the nose is translated into flavors. It tastes like watery Bass Ale. There's a generally cereal-like malt flavor which is offset by a tangy, funky lemon tart astringancy. It's filled with bitter minerality, like old water sitting in a concrete well in the dark for 50 years.

The body is water thin with the absent mouthfeel more commonly associated with macro light lagers. I am extremely disappointed with this beer and will no longer associate it with my beloved nintendo video game. Boo.

AlexJ, Jun 13, 2005
2.15/5  rDev -35.6%

The beer looks nice, with a somewhat normal head.

The smell is a little like old pond water, and not good.

The taste is a little smoky, with some wierd hop flavor over sweet malts. It is going to be hard to finish the bottle. Thank goodness I only bought one.

Hampton73, Feb 18, 2007
2.28/5  rDev -31.7%

A 275ml bottle with a BB of Sept 2012. Picked up from Morrisons a while back as part of a seasonal 4-pack. Described on the label as a medal-winning premium ale and the national drink of Wales. I like the celtic-themed dragon image on the front.

Poured into a Sam Smith's pint glass. A coppery-amber colour with faint haze and good carbonation. Forms a small head of white foam that lasts for a moment or two before subsiding. Aroma of mild caramel malt with hints of grain, biscuits and faint stewed leaves. A stale, almost oxidised cardboard note lurks in the background - not good.

Tastes of caramel malt with a dry finish. Notes of subtle biscuity grain and stewed leaves, accompanied by a stale cardboard hint that dominates the flavour. A mild, dry bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth and tingly, but insubstantial and overly astringent. Aftertaste of dry, stale malt and stewed leaves.

Pretty crappy beer. The taste is unpleasant, and would be dull even without the obvious flaws. Boring malt with little hop presence, while the staleness is vile. All said, this is rubbish - not worthy to be anyone's national drink. There must be better beer in Wales?! Other reviews seem to suggest that the cask version is a big improvement, so I might revisit it if I have the chance. Based on this experience, however, I would recommend avoiding it completely.

jazzyjeff13, Sep 06, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -31.7%

Presentation: 500ml brown glass bottle sealed with a dark green cap. Label is just like that one shown on the bottle picture in the BA Database. No freshness date anywhere on this one, this I find rather annoying and more than likely a stipulation from the US distributor (Thames America Trading) because I know they EU versions so indeed have a Best Before Date.

Appearance: Hazed copper with a burnished sunset orange hue when held to the light. Superb looking tan colored head, deep and rich in its texture, as it collapses it weaves a fine looking lacing. Conditioning is a little lacking

Nose: Bready nose with a bakers yeast aspect to it. Sweet malts with a Devon toffee feel. Chewy nose, the malts are sticky and sweet, I recall an aroma that took me 20 minutes to remember……it was that “funky” smell that you get when cleaning out and changing the water from Goldfish tank. Errr, yeah, it really does smell like old pond water!!!

Taste: Urghhh!! Lots of ButterScotch malts and a sickly toffee caramel middle. Soft buttery feel has a diacteyl twang that lingers in the finish, ala Shipyard, something that I have *never* had in the Cask version.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body, low-ish carbonation but the “slick melted butter sliding down your gullet effect” of this beer as it goes down the throat is extremely off-putting after only a quarter Pint.

Drinkability: Strikingly difficult to finish, the diacteyl seems to increase in strength as does the slick buttery texture. Far too sickly.

Overall: This is my actually my second bottle (obtained from different sources I will add 6 months apart). The previous one was far from flattering and I decided against submitting a Review for it. 6 months later I tried it again, with an open mind. But sadly I was let down again and very disappointed by this sample too. From many years experience, I strongly suspect that this is an “older” bottle, and/or it has had a harsh journey West. But without a BBE date it is hard to say for sure. I know this beer extremely well, and I can safely say that what I have here on my desk is not showing this fine malty Premium Welsh Bitter at its best. Difficult to say if this is indeed different in the bottle, or whether I popped for two faded samples, one after another, I thought the condition of this later bottle looked relatively good though, so I am unsure. I do know that this is sublime on Cask, but this bottled version is sadly lacking for some reason.

A real mystery! A great beer, but the second US bottle that I have had still disappoints. I’ll stick to this one from the Beer Engine on its own turf from hereon in, at least until BBE dates are added to the imported bottles.

TheLongBeachBum, Feb 28, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -28.1%

Cool named beer ... and since I'm a sucker for cool labels and names, I had to pick it up. Reminds me of a video game I played long ago. Anyway. Pours a light brown color with a medium head that doesn't have much retention and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma is very odd - I can't place it, but me-no-likey. kmpitz2 said it might be lots of biscuit malt ... that might be it. The taste has the same unfortunate character that I just can't place nor can I enjoy it. I wouldn't recommend this one.

clvand0, Jan 28, 2005
2.42/5  rDev -27.5%

16.9 ounce brown bottle without freshness dating.

Pours clear tawny copper with weak carbonation, a finger of thin creamy foam. Smells of caramel malts and gentle leafy hops; overshadowed by hard metallic water. Flavor is extremely poor; very weak caramel malt, a touch of hop bitterness. FAR too little flavor and too much watery metallic tang in the finish. Very thin, watery, body.

This one drinks like weakly carbonated ale-flavored water. Move along. There's nothing to see (or taste) here.

dgallina, Jul 19, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured a dark copper hue with a one finger pillowy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell was dominated by a strong caramel malt aroma. A smattering of hop present as well.

The taste was upfront sweet with a heavy malty body. Caramel flavors dominated. Sour aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was dry and astringent.

Overall not all that enjoyable.

plaid75, Oct 06, 2006
2.53/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a rich red-amber colour. Head is off-white and all big bubbles, hard to form any kind of crown, and lace is lacklustre, just a bit of whispy foam. Standard; not bad, not good.

Smells very malty; too sweet, really with a mass exodus of malt aroma giving milky, creamy caramel with burnt sugar, praline and a touch of artificial vanilla. Slight metallic hop note at the back isn't enough to lend this gravitas.

Taste doesn't have that sweetness. In its place is a fairly bland, dour bitterness. Largely watery, really, with a light cereal grain upfront, develops into very watery mid with whispers of grass and green tea around the edges. Bit of sweet grain pops up again late, which only serves to expose the distinct shortcomings of this beer's bittering plan. There's just nothing to this palate, a real quaff-ten-pints-with-your-mates ale of blah.

Mostly thin and watery, slight drying twist towards the back which suggests more hops than does the palate.

Can't say I expected much from this, so well done for delivering no surprises, beer. National ale of Wales? Is Wales a nation of blonde pigtailed girls who wear pink gingham frocks to work every day?

laituegonflable, May 27, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -23.7%

Shared a bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Clear amber, thin off-white head. Nothing to note.

Smell: Strong malt and grain aromas with some noticeable English hops.

Taste: Something seems to be wrong here - primary flavors are pepper, metal and acid.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, OK carb. Strange flavors affect the finish.

Drinkability: Unfortunatley, the rough flavors remain with a long aftertaste.

psinderson, Jun 25, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle with no freshness date. Cloudy sweet tea color with a nice, well lacing head that doesnt mind staying for the party.

Smell is a bit weak. Smells a bit like cigarrette smoke with caramel malts.

Not much flavor. Tobacco and diacetyl. Very metallic(a) as well.

Light bodied with an astringency to it. Not a very good beer in my opinion. Little bit of hops in the aftertaste but not enough to save this beer. I hope this breweries other offerings are better. I bet the dark is better.

SaCkErZ9, Jan 21, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -21.3%

Courtesy of clvand0. This beer pours a slightly hazy light amber color with a 2 finger head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is not that inticing. I'm not too sure what it is, but it smells slightly sweet, maybe a little peppery hop, some biscuit malt. I just don't like it. The flavor is equally as unappealing to me. There is a flavor that is just off on the finish. The feel is a light moderate, with a slight carb on it. Overall, this beer is something I would not have again, even if it were free. Thanks Chris.

kmpitz2, Jan 28, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -19.2%

Honestly, just don't have the energy to do the full workup on this one, really not worth the effort. It looks pleasant enough, with a clear copper brown body and nice cresting caramel head. Goes downhill from there. Smell is mildly floral and malty. The taste is very macro brown ale, mildly nutty and sweet, but with an unpleasant metallic bite -- goes a bit beyond the usual hard water mineral dryness. Mouthfeel is marginal, thin and fizzy, very Mexican macro.

Wales has never been known for great beer, and this weak sister is one of the reasons why. At least the label is nice.

WetCoaster, May 06, 2006
2.78/5  rDev -16.8%

Dusty dark pumpkin with cornbread colored accents. The splendid looking crown of frothy foam is the color of sandstone awash in pale orange light. Although it appears to be sticky, very little lace ends up on the glass. In all but glass coverage, the beer looks great.

The nose is odd and doesn't smell like an English pale ale. It smells like a rusty pipe through which beer has been flowing. I guess that I can attribute that aspect of the aroma to hard water, but this is taking Burton-on-Trentism too far. While there's more hoppiness than maltiness, there isn't much of either.

Compared to the nose, the flavor is different, but is no better. I don't believe I've ever tasted beer quite like this before. Let's see... unsweet caramel, sour peat, old apple skins, splintered wood and harshly bitter, earthy hops. Traces of ethanol and Band-Aid phenols don't help. It isn't quite as bad as all that, but it isn't a whole lot better either.

The flavor profile is becoming less obnoxious as I enter the bottom half of the bottle. The harsher aspects are becoming less harsh and I'm beginning to note an orange fruitiness on the finish. Frankly metallic has now become mineral-like. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium and feels firm rather than creamy.

Double Dragon is an unqualified disappointment. Felinfoel's Thames Welsh ESB is one of the better versions of that style that I've had, so I was expecting good things from this pale ale. I have no idea if I have an old bottle since there's no date, but it doesn't taste like old beer to me. Just not very good beer.

BuckeyeNation, Sep 18, 2005
2.8/5  rDev -16.2%

deep amber, like a fairly dark ipa. good cap and lace.
sweet grain and some light toasting in the aroma. pretty inviting.
pilsner/noble hops at 1st, then a butter sensation, then toastiness and a lingering bitterness, accompanied by a slight citrus twang, mostly lemon.
something is totally roof of mouth coating. diacetyl?
sort of like sa boston ale and a pilsner blended. the wife really disliked. unfortunately, at 4.99 a 16.9 oz bottle it's way overpriced. (pricing did not factor into scores)

brewmudgeon, Aug 27, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -15.3%

Got this little number at the Pizza Port Bottleshop in Carlsbad, CA.

A- A dark amber hue, slightly transluscent. It pours a nice two finger head with a rather dense white head that disappears after a couple of minutes to just a lacing over top of the beer.

S- Malty notes come very heavy on the top of the nose. I also detect a hint of citrus in there, grapefruit possibly. There is also a slight sour component to the nose, I hope I don't have an off bottle, but it certainly has a Belgian sour kick to it as well.

T- A bit on the watery side, with malts forward and a rather displeasing aftertaste. After a nice gulp it feels a bit astringent even. Not too much hop taste coming through, or much else for that matter. A rather one dimensional beer that left me unimpressed.

M- High carbonation, a bit too high for my liking, but the beer feels good nonetheless.

D- Not a homerun for me, not by a long shot. I believe I'll try this beer again as I'm not convinced Felinfoel put their best foot forward with this batch. However, from what I tasted so far, I'm underwhelmed.

ETF5000, Oct 14, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -13.2%

Amber, clean, without rising bubbles. The right finger of foam.
Very light smell, with hop and tea leaves.
The taste is light too. Quite well balanced, though, smooth and drinkable.
Pleasant, for its 4.2 ABV.
In the aftertaste notes of musky hop, hints of orange marmelade, and tea.
Not so thin body.

stcules, Aug 18, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -11.7%

New label on my 500ml bottle (to the current one shown on BA), poured into an 'Abbot Ale' glass tankard.

The best before date wasn't complete on the cap, but Sept 2011 seems the best bet, the review was carried out on 7 Jan 2011.

Rather red in colour for a 'Pale Ale', clear and clean looking. The white head left before it arrived.

Malts in the smell, with red berries as the beer warms, but nothing very strong. The rear label mentions toffee and nutty flavours within the beer, some toffee maybe, but certainly no nuts for me!

Those red berries appear in the taste too (as do those toffee mentions), the malts are also there, but lack depth within the flavours. Some hop hints, but again nothing powerful and without nuts.

Expected more from 'The National Ale of Wales' and I'm sure the cask version is a whole lot better, if I remember correctly (but it was many moons ago).

BlackHaddock, Jan 07, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -10.8%

Coppery red, nice color, though it has only a middling head, one finger of foam quickly fading, leaving a bit of suds.

The nose is slow in appearing, but when it does it's a surprise, not pleasant.Only mildly hoppy, no mention of malt, and an overriding aroma of seashore. Perhaps it's sulfurous, which wouldn't be out of character, but it's accompanied by the odor of tidal pools and seaweed. Strange.

The taste is metallic and gently hopped, the malt shows up, but shyly, a hint of limes and a dry, peppery finish. Aftertaste of tealike bitterness, with a reprise of metallic notes.

As it warms some tart fruit emerges, but it's not very interesting.

All in all, pretty unremarkable, even unpleasant.

horndecker, Oct 20, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a rich red colour with no head.

The smell is sweet, pretty weak.

The taste is sweet, caramel and a bit watery.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodies with medium carbonation.

Overall a very mediocre beer, not terrible but won't buy again.

Dave1999, Sep 24, 2013

Appearance: This one gushed from the bottle as soon as I uncapped it, despite not being a bottle conditioned beer, and then filled my glass nearly to the brim with foam. Pretty annoying. Once it settles, the color is a clear amber with an off-white head.

Smell: Extremely buttery. Ripe fruit (or fruitcake maybe) and caramel. Mineral water.

Taste/mouthfeel: Slick and buttery, mildly sweet with big flavors of toffee/butterscotch. Wow, lots of diacetyl in this one. The mouthfeel is pretty watery, even for a 4.2% brew. Not a lot of change in flavor from start to finish - a touch more hops would lend a necessary balance to this brew.

Notes: Can't rate this one any higher than average. Don't think I'll drink this again.

largadeer, Jun 03, 2008

cdwil, Dec 29, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -8.7%

It's the second time for me to taste this beer. The first time was four years ago in the Snowdonia National Park, North Wales, where this was the only Welsh beer I managed to find back then~~ Now that the micro-brewing business is also taking off in Wales, I'm delighted to see this beer widely available at the Tesco supermarket here in London. The bottle cap says: 'contains Barley and "MAY" contain Wheat, Oats, Rye, Spelt'... don't know what it means, does it really contain more than just Barley malts?
BBE DEC 06, served cool in a straight imperial pint glass.

A: pours a beautiful and clear amber hue with strong caramel hints; the off-white head comes thick and frothy with great retention, only very slowly settling and leaving tight sheets of lace~~ gentle, moderately-carbonated body.
S: very grainy-malty upfront, with a semi-sweet note like mixture of root-vegetable (like sweet potato) and sugar-cane juice, against a slightly earthy hoppyness in the background; the two layers of note mingle pretty well,
T&M: pretty floral hoppy with a thin-textured juicy and slightly bready malts upfront, backed by a lightly sour tinge of hays and unidentified grains, maybe spelt (based on my limited experience of spelt beer)? Rather short finish with more floral+wood-barrel (like)+soapy tone. Overall it's balanced b/w subtle hops and soft maltiness, though a bit thin on the overall texture.
D: This beer tastes rather simplistic and straight forward, and not as nice as I could remember from my last bottle in Wales. Perhaps the context mattered in my case. Not to say that it's below average, though.

wl0307, Feb 17, 2006
Double Dragon from Felinfoel Brewery Co.