Double Dragon - Felinfoel Brewery Co.

Double DragonDouble Dragon

Felinfoel Brewery Co. visit their website
United Kingdom (Wales)

English Pale Ale |  4.20% ABV

Double Dragon has an ABV of 4.2%. It is a full drinking, premium Welsh Ale, which is malty and subtly hopped. Double Dragon has a rich colour and smooth balanced character. This deep copper red ale has a tangy red fruit flavour with nutty, toffee overtones.

(Beer added by: Realale on 12-04-2002)
3.58/5  rDev +7.2%

Hmmm...not too sure how I feel about this one. Very poor appearance for a pale ale, as the whole point of a pale ale is to be clear. This is a hazy copper colour. Like a fog rolling across the Welsh landscape, this is a beer that is hard to penetrate. Decent head.

Smells malty, musty with a sweet-and-sour tang. Akin to some of the the English PAs I've had, but nothing exciting. At times, I feel I can almost detect faint traces of chlorine or chemical lime.

Taste wise, it seems similar to London Pride, Bombardier or even Black Sheep, but not as exciting or flavourful. This isn't terrible, but its certainly not the best I've had. Malts, no detectable hops and a certain amount of bitterness and sourness. Yeasty and dry, no sweetness to this at all.

At the very least, the carbonation and mouthfeel is decent. Easy to drink once I get past the inital odd taste. I'd really like to try this with a ploughman's lunch or a British cheese plate to see if it helps at all.

BDTyre, Jun 10, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +7.2%

Bottle brought over from Leeds, England, by a friend of mine.
Bought in a special beer shop in Leeds.

Dark amber to light brown color, beige lasting head.
Refreshing fruity scent.
Low bitterness, fresh taste.

I like it ok, my first beer ever from Wales, a good first experience.

gnoff, May 06, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -19.2%

Honestly, just don't have the energy to do the full workup on this one, really not worth the effort. It looks pleasant enough, with a clear copper brown body and nice cresting caramel head. Goes downhill from there. Smell is mildly floral and malty. The taste is very macro brown ale, mildly nutty and sweet, but with an unpleasant metallic bite -- goes a bit beyond the usual hard water mineral dryness. Mouthfeel is marginal, thin and fizzy, very Mexican macro.

Wales has never been known for great beer, and this weak sister is one of the reasons why. At least the label is nice.

WetCoaster, May 06, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

This beer poured a copper color with a small head from a 16.9 ounce brown bottle. Malty, toffee aroma is present. Taste is also malty with some toffee notes, and surprisingly watery mouthfeel which I find disappointing. Worth a try, but I wouldn't go looking for it.

Drew966, Mar 22, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -0.3%

This is a shocker that I have I have met a beer from the U.K. I didn't like all that much. Hazy weird reddish brown color, was topped by a very airy head that didn't last. Lacing was a bit better than I expected, leaing delicate rings. Something about the taste that didn't quite do it for me. A strong licorice note was very up front. beer got a bit watery at the end. i have never had a Welsh beers on cask while in the U.K. so I van't compare, but it sure does not measure up to anything available here by Young's or Fullers.

Mark, Mar 19, 2006
2.28/5  rDev -31.7%

Presentation: 500ml brown glass bottle sealed with a dark green cap. Label is just like that one shown on the bottle picture in the BA Database. No freshness date anywhere on this one, this I find rather annoying and more than likely a stipulation from the US distributor (Thames America Trading) because I know they EU versions so indeed have a Best Before Date.

Appearance: Hazed copper with a burnished sunset orange hue when held to the light. Superb looking tan colored head, deep and rich in its texture, as it collapses it weaves a fine looking lacing. Conditioning is a little lacking

Nose: Bready nose with a bakers yeast aspect to it. Sweet malts with a Devon toffee feel. Chewy nose, the malts are sticky and sweet, I recall an aroma that took me 20 minutes to remember……it was that “funky” smell that you get when cleaning out and changing the water from Goldfish tank. Errr, yeah, it really does smell like old pond water!!!

Taste: Urghhh!! Lots of ButterScotch malts and a sickly toffee caramel middle. Soft buttery feel has a diacteyl twang that lingers in the finish, ala Shipyard, something that I have *never* had in the Cask version.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body, low-ish carbonation but the “slick melted butter sliding down your gullet effect” of this beer as it goes down the throat is extremely off-putting after only a quarter Pint.

Drinkability: Strikingly difficult to finish, the diacteyl seems to increase in strength as does the slick buttery texture. Far too sickly.

Overall: This is my actually my second bottle (obtained from different sources I will add 6 months apart). The previous one was far from flattering and I decided against submitting a Review for it. 6 months later I tried it again, with an open mind. But sadly I was let down again and very disappointed by this sample too. From many years experience, I strongly suspect that this is an “older” bottle, and/or it has had a harsh journey West. But without a BBE date it is hard to say for sure. I know this beer extremely well, and I can safely say that what I have here on my desk is not showing this fine malty Premium Welsh Bitter at its best. Difficult to say if this is indeed different in the bottle, or whether I popped for two faded samples, one after another, I thought the condition of this later bottle looked relatively good though, so I am unsure. I do know that this is sublime on Cask, but this bottled version is sadly lacking for some reason.

A real mystery! A great beer, but the second US bottle that I have had still disappoints. I’ll stick to this one from the Beer Engine on its own turf from hereon in, at least until BBE dates are added to the imported bottles.

TheLongBeachBum, Feb 28, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

16.9 Oz. bottle purchased at LaBodega in Riverside, CA. in February 2006 for $3.99.

Pours a slightly murky medium brown, yeast in the bottom says bottle conditioning, but it doesn't help the look of the beer. A thin white head sits atop this brew, slowly supported by a thin stream of carbonation in my Abbey Ales Imperial Pint glass.

Aroma is light sweet chocolate milk, biscuit, slightly yeasty. But the flavor isn't the same. Minimal to no sweetness, harsh hops dominate the first swallow. Balances out a bit after the first blush, and is decent malts, but with a heavy piney (not oily) sharpness. A peat-like undertone. I have a hard time with this one- not a "common" English Pale Ale in flavor, but overall not catchy either.

I can drink this beer, but it does not grab me.

Dukeofearl, Feb 23, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -8.7%

It's the second time for me to taste this beer. The first time was four years ago in the Snowdonia National Park, North Wales, where this was the only Welsh beer I managed to find back then~~ Now that the micro-brewing business is also taking off in Wales, I'm delighted to see this beer widely available at the Tesco supermarket here in London. The bottle cap says: 'contains Barley and "MAY" contain Wheat, Oats, Rye, Spelt'... don't know what it means, does it really contain more than just Barley malts?
BBE DEC 06, served cool in a straight imperial pint glass.

A: pours a beautiful and clear amber hue with strong caramel hints; the off-white head comes thick and frothy with great retention, only very slowly settling and leaving tight sheets of lace~~ gentle, moderately-carbonated body.
S: very grainy-malty upfront, with a semi-sweet note like mixture of root-vegetable (like sweet potato) and sugar-cane juice, against a slightly earthy hoppyness in the background; the two layers of note mingle pretty well,
T&M: pretty floral hoppy with a thin-textured juicy and slightly bready malts upfront, backed by a lightly sour tinge of hays and unidentified grains, maybe spelt (based on my limited experience of spelt beer)? Rather short finish with more floral+wood-barrel (like)+soapy tone. Overall it's balanced b/w subtle hops and soft maltiness, though a bit thin on the overall texture.
D: This beer tastes rather simplistic and straight forward, and not as nice as I could remember from my last bottle in Wales. Perhaps the context mattered in my case. Not to say that it's below average, though.

wl0307, Feb 17, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Ahh Wales, a country the size of Fox River Grove, Illinois, whose only exports are Manic Street Preachers albums and whatever the hell Super Furry Animals are, have decided to enter the beer game. Good for them.

Pours a hazy rust color, dark with a small head the dies quickly.

Very deep, harsh caramel. Put some brown sugar on the stove and leave it until it starts to smoke.

Dry beginning. Random fruit and a bit of alcohol zip (strange, with such a low ABV). Moves into the harsh caramel, mixed with a light vinegar. Ends on a light, fruity hop.

Nice, unique, and easy drinking in spite of its complexity. Nothing great, but pretty darn good.

mynie, Feb 04, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle with no freshness date. Cloudy sweet tea color with a nice, well lacing head that doesnt mind staying for the party.

Smell is a bit weak. Smells a bit like cigarrette smoke with caramel malts.

Not much flavor. Tobacco and diacetyl. Very metallic(a) as well.

Light bodied with an astringency to it. Not a very good beer in my opinion. Little bit of hops in the aftertaste but not enough to save this beer. I hope this breweries other offerings are better. I bet the dark is better.

SaCkErZ9, Jan 21, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: Pours a slightly murky medium amber colored body with a compact but long-lasting head that leaves some lacing

Smell: Caramel malt and some mineral tones

Taste: Starts out rather bready, almost like an Irish soda bread with a touch of honey; that sweet flavor is quickly joined by an assertive lemon/orange citrus bitterness that nicely balances the sweet malt through to the finish; there is a mineral tone in the finish, however, that detracts from the flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a good dose of carbonation

Drinkability: Having read through the reviews, I am surprised that I like this beer as much as I do; a very pleasant English pale ale

brentk56, Dec 31, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +10.2%

Had this one, because I hadn't had a beer from Wales yet. It didn't have a strong alcohol content, which is something I usually favor in my beers, but the taste was delectable, and led you on to believe it would have stronger alcohol %. The smell was hoppy, malty, and fruity, so it was a bit busy. The different smells were all fighting to overpower each other, which did make it interesting. The taste did have the same elements, but the hops won the battle. The warmer it got, the more bitter it was. Even though it was wimpy in the alcohol area, it still was quite filling, thus making it hard to drink the whole bottle. This gave new meaning to "liquid bread".

JISurfer, Nov 27, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -10.8%

Coppery red, nice color, though it has only a middling head, one finger of foam quickly fading, leaving a bit of suds.

The nose is slow in appearing, but when it does it's a surprise, not pleasant.Only mildly hoppy, no mention of malt, and an overriding aroma of seashore. Perhaps it's sulfurous, which wouldn't be out of character, but it's accompanied by the odor of tidal pools and seaweed. Strange.

The taste is metallic and gently hopped, the malt shows up, but shyly, a hint of limes and a dry, peppery finish. Aftertaste of tealike bitterness, with a reprise of metallic notes.

As it warms some tart fruit emerges, but it's not very interesting.

All in all, pretty unremarkable, even unpleasant.

horndecker, Oct 20, 2005
2.78/5  rDev -16.8%

Dusty dark pumpkin with cornbread colored accents. The splendid looking crown of frothy foam is the color of sandstone awash in pale orange light. Although it appears to be sticky, very little lace ends up on the glass. In all but glass coverage, the beer looks great.

The nose is odd and doesn't smell like an English pale ale. It smells like a rusty pipe through which beer has been flowing. I guess that I can attribute that aspect of the aroma to hard water, but this is taking Burton-on-Trentism too far. While there's more hoppiness than maltiness, there isn't much of either.

Compared to the nose, the flavor is different, but is no better. I don't believe I've ever tasted beer quite like this before. Let's see... unsweet caramel, sour peat, old apple skins, splintered wood and harshly bitter, earthy hops. Traces of ethanol and Band-Aid phenols don't help. It isn't quite as bad as all that, but it isn't a whole lot better either.

The flavor profile is becoming less obnoxious as I enter the bottom half of the bottle. The harsher aspects are becoming less harsh and I'm beginning to note an orange fruitiness on the finish. Frankly metallic has now become mineral-like. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium and feels firm rather than creamy.

Double Dragon is an unqualified disappointment. Felinfoel's Thames Welsh ESB is one of the better versions of that style that I've had, so I was expecting good things from this pale ale. I have no idea if I have an old bottle since there's no date, but it doesn't taste like old beer to me. Just not very good beer.

BuckeyeNation, Sep 18, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +18.3%

A cloudy dark amber ( that appears a bit brownish because of the cloudiness) beer. Has a small off white head with some lace. There is some sweet malt in the aroma with some earthy notes and a nutlike background. After a quick splash of bitterness the nutty sweetness builds in. Which is followed by a dry earthy character on the finish.

ybnorml, Aug 29, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +16.8%

I had this beer on tap at Dressel’s. It poured a deep clear copper color with a thick dense off white head with good retention. Nice mildly fruity aroma with apple pineapple, and mild caramel. A little hop citrus in the finish. Sweeter than I expected with apple and nectarine backed my caramel. Just a bit of orange citrus. Nice smooth rich mouth feel, very drinkable.

carln26, Jul 10, 2005
2.03/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Purchases at Frugal MacDoogels on sheer whimsy becuase I used to LOVE Double Dragon on Nintendo, old school baby!

Pours out much darker than expected, a coppery carmelized honey color with 3 fingers of wheat hued foam. As the head settles, sticky walls of lace encrust my English standard pint glass.

Aromas start with honey and caramel malt sweetness, dried fruit skins, powdery rock minerality, and fragrent honeysuckle floral hops.

Unfortunately very little of the nose is translated into flavors. It tastes like watery Bass Ale. There's a generally cereal-like malt flavor which is offset by a tangy, funky lemon tart astringancy. It's filled with bitter minerality, like old water sitting in a concrete well in the dark for 50 years.

The body is water thin with the absent mouthfeel more commonly associated with macro light lagers. I am extremely disappointed with this beer and will no longer associate it with my beloved nintendo video game. Boo.

AlexJ, Jun 13, 2005
3.45/5  rDev +3.3%

05/18/05- Purchased at Nuggett Market in Vacaville, CA

Presentation- 500ml bottle with no dating. Poured into a german pils glass.

Appearance- Copper colored brew with a very creamy 3/4 inch head, but very little lacing if any.

Smell- Not a huge smeller. Maybe a bit of malt and maybe a bit of fruit as in grape skin or the like.

Taste- Kind of a bland brew. Definite malt and maybe a touch of bitter hops. Just a tad of sweetness to make it interesting.

Mouthfeel- Very silky and smooth and easy to drink. Low carbonation. Just a bit watery though.

Drinkability- I'll admit it was refreshing and went down smooth, but it didn't have a bunch of flavor. A tad boring. Not bad, just a bit of a ho-hum brew.

GClarkage, May 18, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +23.7%

Pours a lucid pumpkined brass with an unceding heavy cream pillow of foam.
Malt appears on the nose via toffee, yeast contributes buttered yams, and vapors of orange jam, and cherry skins. Hops mimic black tea.
Begins with a dusty breadiness, sweetened with notions of buterscotch and caramel. A subtled candied fruit appears, most closely associated to peaches or black cherries. Returns to breadiness, now with a buttered biscuit persona. A bit slick with diacetyl, but not out of place here, in fact, it's rather charming. Turns herbal on the close with a tamarron spice hop note and tea.
Moderate in both body and carbonation. Pasty in texture, but with enough gas to slake through it.
A solid bitter, and, as usual, a fine session quaffer.

cokes, Mar 30, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured half of the 16.9 oz into a stout glass and watched it raise two finger of head atop it beer bottle brown clear body. Nice malt aroma Taste was also malt with a little sweetness. A medium mouthfeel that was helped with a good carbon dioxide level that showed good beading. Finished with light hops.

Not bad - very drinkable and a good choice for a session.

Left me wanting more complexity that I found in a Rogue tasted previously.

karst, Mar 15, 2005
2.4/5  rDev -28.1%

Cool named beer ... and since I'm a sucker for cool labels and names, I had to pick it up. Reminds me of a video game I played long ago. Anyway. Pours a light brown color with a medium head that doesn't have much retention and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma is very odd - I can't place it, but me-no-likey. kmpitz2 said it might be lots of biscuit malt ... that might be it. The taste has the same unfortunate character that I just can't place nor can I enjoy it. I wouldn't recommend this one.

clvand0, Jan 28, 2005
2.63/5  rDev -21.3%

Courtesy of clvand0. This beer pours a slightly hazy light amber color with a 2 finger head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is not that inticing. I'm not too sure what it is, but it smells slightly sweet, maybe a little peppery hop, some biscuit malt. I just don't like it. The flavor is equally as unappealing to me. There is a flavor that is just off on the finish. The feel is a light moderate, with a slight carb on it. Overall, this beer is something I would not have again, even if it were free. Thanks Chris.

kmpitz2, Jan 28, 2005
3.65/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured on tap a light copper with a thin- ish head that only briefly sticks around; was poured at a relatively warm temperature that let flavor and aroma say hello. Nice light copper color and a number of hard- to place smells in the aroma; smelled a little fruity a little smoky. Relatively low carbonation. The taste had a tiny vinegar component and I got a trace of apples after a little bit. Almost as if someone got a little hard cider in the glass- but this was clearly intentional and clearly tasty. Mouth was a little thin for me. Easy to knock back a pint of this, but wouldn't make a night of them.

amicar, Jan 17, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a dark amber with a good, creamy head and copious lace. Smell is malty, hoppy, peaty, grassy, and a smell that nearly drove me insane trying to figure it out. It was somewhat like soy sauce, but kept bringing roasted or smoked turkey to mind. A vinegar-like tangy/tartness that I finally gave up trying to determine. Sadly, that was a prevalent smell, but the rest were fairly well balanced. Taste was pretty much the same with the turkey taste less noticeable than in the smell. The complexity was good and the balance decent. Mouthfeel was fairly smooth with good effervescence all over the mouth and tongue. Drinkability: I wish I could say something really great about this beer, it being Welsh and so am I, but sadly, it's nothing special. Not bad, but doesn't stand out in any way.

PorterLambic, Jan 16, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from the bottle into my glass in a cascade of earthy orange and brown. Half inch of dense cream colored head. I smell sweet caramel and mild fruit tones. With the first taste the tongue is awash in caramel and fleeting hop fruit. Moments later I ask myself ... do I taste a hint of butterscotch. Mmm Good. Mouthfeel is nice and thick. I could stand to have a couple of these.

TheBungyo, Jan 02, 2005
Double Dragon from Felinfoel Brewery Co.