Sleeping Giant IPA - Gage Roads Brewing Company

good

Gage Roads Brewing Company visit their website
Australia

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Finite on 10-31-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by doktorhops:
3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

This caught my eye at the local Sir Daniel Murphy Esquire the Third's and as I'm a fan of any brew that has "Pale Ale" in it's name I thought I would give it a go.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Guinness pint glass.

A: Body and head resemble the appearance of a nice refreshing iced tea. The head started off pretty flat and subsided to a thin densely packed white head... still appealing.

S: The sharp resiny hops hit the nose with the promise of a damn bitter ale, which I'm liking! There is a light background aroma of caramel malts that offer a slight balance to the punchy hops.

T: The sweet caramel malts almost immediately surrender to the sharp resiny and bitter hops... though it's not as bitter as I was expecting from an IPA. The ale offers not a great deal of flavour complexity outside of this.

M: Creamy and medium bodied. A good balance in this department.

D: It's an alright drop, not as heavy as some other IPA's I've tried and I could see myself drinking a few more, however I feel the biggest letdown is the lack of flavour complexity (I don't think I tasted more than one type of hops in this brew). Everything else is decent enough.

Food match: Cheese platter, canapes and tapas... party food.

doktorhops, Feb 24, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

A - Pours a nice fairly clear amber colour, with initially a decent size head. Head retention diminishes quite quickly whilst maintaining a nice amount of lacing.

S - Nothing too overwhelming in the aroma department. Very light aroma for an IPA.

T - Fairly bitter with not a lot of malt coming through. Average presence of hops.

M - Great mouthfeel, goes down quite smooth and enjoyable.

O - As far as IPA's go personally I think it's a little weak, especially in the aroma and abv department. However if you're just getting in to IPA's this is a great beer to start off with as it contains all the characteristics of a good IPA without being to overwhelming.

LeeroyAgogo, Dec 01, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +17.6%

A: really nice copper colour, not bad lacing. Head dies down a little quickly for my liking but this varies from bottle to bottle.

S: grapes, lychee, umami, strong malt presence. Floral hops. Think the malt comes through a bit more than the hops in the aroma but it's still pleasant.

T: Reminds me a fair bit of Murrays Icon (but less intense). Definite floral hop notes as well as some citrus with a prominent malt backing. A little bit bitter- the bitterness seems a little bit Pride of Ringwoody. Somehow the malt profile has an almost Belgian character. 4

M: I would appreciate some more carbonation in this beer I think, but I like to think the syrupyness is due to hop oils.

D: Drinkability is high with this one. Well priced too. Gets bonus marks because it is actually a proper IPA, so rare to see in Sydney (which is why I don't take it for granted), even if it does still have something of a macro quality to it. Maybe if we had the range of IPAs available in this US this might not impress me as much. Definitely a competitor with Little Creatures PA in terms of price, drinkability and flavour at present. 5

Really good effort by Bridge Roads, makes up for the ungodly Premium Lager.

Daniell, Nov 10, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours dark amber with a quickly fading off-white head.
Nose shows lots of malt with caramel, toffee and some soft citrus hops underneath.
Similarly malty flavours but with a bit of orange/tangerine in there too. Pretty tasty stuff.
Body feels a little light on.
Not very hoppy but nice nonetheless.

CrazyDavros, Jun 21, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

BrazilianAussie, Apr 05, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

Gage Roads is back. Copper coloured, malty with some crystal sweetness without being cloying, hoppy (I think its more US than UK). I'm getting what could be some munich or vienna in there? Session strength also. If this was on tap in Perth/Freo it would be real hit. Available in bomber format which is a real bonus as far as I am concerned. The bomber trend is kicking off here in Aust.

foles, Aug 25, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

pin, Nov 22, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +26.6%

A- Nice copper/light brown colour with a minimal 2 finger quickly-dissipating caramel coloured head. Steady bead of bubbles flowing to the top.

S- Caramel, nutty, floral hops. Seems to have a fair bit going on. Very appealing toffee after-scent.

T- That toffee sweetness is up first on the front with a mid to finish of hops. This probably won't satisfy most hop-heads, but this to me bridges a nice gap between tasty and light. Very nice.

M- Medium bodied and pleasantly carbonated. Not overly effervescent, but not too tepid either.

O- I really like this. I'm not going to pretend that it is the "perfect representation of an EIPA" or anything like that, but for me, this definitely hits the spot. This is one of my go to beers when there is nothing else or I just want a tasty, highly drinkable treat.

aeolianshredhead, Aug 08, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured clear, pale straw colour with light head and no lacing. Aroma is bread and hop. I'm not good with smell. Taste is bread and grapefruit with a solid bitter kick at the end that is persistent. Some floral hop notes and maybe a hint of caramel/toffee. Very clean finish and crisp mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Pretty decent beer actually and for an IPA I found the drinkability high. Not as complex as some but I quite enjoyed this. No overwhelming hop resin which I don't mind but find in some IPAs to be over the top. Nice.

rjimlad, Dec 08, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

This pours a clear copper colour with a white head which drops away very quickly.

Quite a strong bit of malt on the nose with some resinous hops. Not as hoppy as I would like.

Some tropical fruit notes come through on the palate. Less malt on the palate.

Medium bodied.

This is ok, maybe a good entry point for newbies, but a bit so so for others.

Macca, Nov 28, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

330ml bottle poured into a pint glass...

A- Amber and fairly clear. Moderate carbonation with a head that quickly settles into a fine lace.

S- floral and hoppy with citrus and a hint of barley

T- Hops up front with malt. Very pleasent and drinkable. Well balanced.

MF- just the right amount of carbonation which finishes with a perfect dryness.

O- I have tried MANY of the craft beers here in Australia and I can not for the life of me figure out why this beer isn't more polular. I wouldn't classify the price on this beer as being a bargin, but it is much lower priced than other "premium" beers here that it blows out of the water. I will definately be buying more of this!!!

jjkatter, Jan 19, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

samadaftab, Jul 11, 2014
2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

What a yawn. Low in hop aromas, low in bitterness, low in hop flavour, low in imagination. I just got bored drinking this. It's like the G rated version of an IPA. Not even pale ale in hop levels. A decently tasting beer to be fair, it doesn't taste awful or anything but it's pretty bland. Despite it's freshness it just doesn't have any zip to it that helps it shine. Playing it safe for the Dan Murphys customers.

juju7, Nov 12, 2010
3.66/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Pours a dark copper color with a good sized head that fades to some nice lacing.

A: Aroma of citrus and grain with a bit of spice in the background.

T: Taste of grapefruit, grain and some fruit with just a bit of malt sweetness. Mild bitterness and a clean finish.

F: Medium body, crisp and refreshing with a decent balance.

O: Quite drinkable, hoped it would be a bit more robust. Nice offering for the style.

soju6, Jun 02, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -50.4%

Julian4077, May 11, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

tobelerone, Aug 09, 2013
3.94/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Deep clear amber with one finger beige head, dissipates leaving large bubbles. Moderate carbonation.

S: Honey, grass, bread, slight lime.

T: Delicious hops, bread, and a roasted taste. Lovely bitter aftertaste.

M: Feels really rich and well balanced, then when you swallow that sensation disappears leaving a pleasant dryness that makes you want more.

O: Really nice flavourful and satisfying beer. Will definitely have again.

Breeza, Feb 13, 2014

MenInVen, Dec 27, 2011

NathanJoyce, Mar 21, 2014

RXUYDC, Jan 15, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass 21/8/12 thanks Mikey for hauling this around the world
-from notes

A light copper with a shitload of bubbles feeding a thin cap for quite a while but only a few patches of lace

S earthy herbal hops with some citrus rind and nutty hard toffee, rather grainy with lots of cereals

T interesting hop profile with just a little bit of everything, floral, herbal, earthy and some citrus but rind more then flesh, just a little iced tea as it warms . its a little tame but respectable

M creamy from the bubbles and a little slick in the mouth and slightly sticky on the lips, just a mild bite and a nutty earthy aftertaste that lingers for a while

O interesting stuff that's worth trying, a mellow IPA almost a West Coast, English hybrid

I could drink a few without getting board but I wouldn't go searching for it, a few could go down without falling over

wordemupg, Sep 06, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I found this beer at Dan Murphy's without knowing of its release by Gage Roads. I was looking for a commercial example of the English IPA style as I was preparing to brew one myself, so this beer caught my eye.

A: Brilliant clear clarity with a deep copper colour. Low carbonation and head on the pour.

S: Crystal caramel maltiness comes through followed by some light floral hop aromas. Very clean fermentation characteristics with no esters present. Other aromas include orange blossom honey and toffee.

T: Sweet biscuit, toasty malt flavours with medium bitterness in support, balance towards malt though. Some resiny hop note coming through but no fruitiness detected.

M: Finnish is dry, with a medium - light body. Lingering caramel maltiness in the after taste but pleasant and makes you want another mouthful.

D: Great beer just lacks the level of English hop aromas I was looking for in the style, bitterness could have been more suited if raised a couple more IBU.

I really enjoyed this beer and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good malty backbone in a beer.

Cheers,

Liam

LiamAhearn, Jan 02, 2011
3.53/5  rDev 0%

The first thing I noticed was the attractive labelling and decent price of $15 for a 6-pack. It certainly looks like both GRB and LWB
are continually expanding their macro dreams.

The beer pours a fairly dark amber and you get a decent head which does fall into a thin foam.

Subdued floral, can get sweet malt on the nose. On the palate, you get a malty front, bit of floral notes and a fairly lacklustre hop finish. There is a bitterness but it isn't very complex.

This beer is actually a decent session beer, it's nothing like James Squire IPA - in a way it's trying to broaden appeal of this style.

If this were AUD$40 - $50 per carton it's a good buy for those wanting something non-offensive but not entirely spectular.

mazstar, Aug 24, 2011