Irish Dry Stout - Triumph Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Triumph Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2002)
Reviews by Mpenders:
3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Pours black with streaks of brownish amber around the edges. Brownish white head on top that disappears quickly.

Smell: Huge roasted character with a bit of smoke. Light chocolate flavor but not too much else.

Taste: Chocolate roasted over smoke. Maybe some other malt action going on but not too over the top. Bit of a bite on the finish, overall fairly clean and sweet.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with a medium body.

Drinkability: Goes well with dessert, compliments overly sweet chocolate and peanut butter with a roasted chocolaty character. Not too bad, a bit sweeter than I'm used to a for a dry irish stout, but overall good.

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

My wife order this for lunch. I had the Vienna Lager (another good one I hope to review after trying it again), but drank about half of hers. I was very impressed. I don't normally review from memory, but I was so impressed with the specific tastes and smells of the beer from just a few large sips.

The beer produces a think pitch black with a good light tan head that lingered seemingly forever. Not a strong smell at all, but I got slight malts a tad bit of chocolates. The taste blew me away with a smokey chocolates and dare I say a bit of bitter coffee following up the rear. Simply wonderous. Smooth as any beer I've ever had, very creamy which is a trait of other Triumph beers. Drinkability? Dunno since I didn't actually order one for myself. I plan on attending

I didn't order one for myself, but I will be for sure.

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Arrived pitch-black with a well-retained off-white head that left some rings of lacing down the side of the glass. Looked very similar to a large espresso.
The smell was of charcoal with a hint of roasted espresso.
The taste was of charcoal, with hints of coffee and some underlying hops. It was very well-balanced.
The smokiness and flavors were well-retained. It was medium-bodied.
It went down very smoothly. It was an interesting interpretation of the style - a very enjoyable brew. Although it was mainly a classic rendition of an Irish dry stout, it had some characteristics of an english stout, especially with the smokiness.
A pleasure to drink - I truly recommend it.

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%

Part of the sampler and the forth of seven I tried from Triumph on June 24th, 2003. I would have tried it either 6th or 7th in the order, but I followed the advice of the bartender and the way he laid them out. I'll know better next time.

Poured a pitch black with a great creamy, beige head. The head and the lacing lasted longer than the beer. The ribbon, no streams of lacing around the glass were amazing. The lacing simply did not move and did not fade. I have rarely seen anything like it.

The smell of a dry chocolate malt dominated the nose with the rest of the nose being much like an irish stout with hints of coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, and toasted malt.

The taste was unique, not as thick or heavy as Guiness with a dry malt taste somewhere between a normal stout and that unique taste you get in a cask conditioned ale. There were flavors of coffee and semi-sweet chocolate as well. Not really any noticiable hops but a nice slightly bitter coffee finish. A great beer, this is why I came here.

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an uber dark brown color with a suprisingly (for a cask beer) dense cap of khaki head. Smell is of dark roasted, almost burnt malts and nuts, very faint touch of sourness. Taste is rich, dark roasted malts with hints of peat, earth, smoke and faint hint of sourness, light touch of hops. Medium bodied, amazingly smooth and creamy for a cask beer. A very good Irish Dry that rivals the best out there.

3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

This is Triumph's best beer in my opinion. It arrives in a pint glass looking black as coal with a lovely 1 inch tan head that remains for quite a bit. The aroma is of roasted malt and coffee. The flavor follows suit, as the roasted malt and coffee flavors are met with some very subtle chocolate tones that round out the flavor.

Very dry, creamy, and very smooth mouthfeel. Somewhere between medium and heavy bodied. Extremely drinkable and can be a great beer for having a few.

4.05/5  rDev +2%

a - Brown, typical stout color...the pub was dark so I couldn't say for sure but it looked normal. Big fluffly 1-1/2 finger head was a coffee color and shielded the body for most of the glass.

s - Mild roasty toasty grains.

t - Subtle coffee, chocolate and all around toasty malt flavors. Really smooth, not harsh at all. Not terribly complex but really solid for the style. I didn't get any hops over the grains.

m/d - Nice and smooth rivaling Guinness on tap. Really drinkable, if I wasn't trying to sample other stuff I would have continued with this all night.

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

On-tap @ Triumph Princeton into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: As darkness settled in, the light beige creamy 1/4" head rose to the top. You gotta love the nitro-tap. This is one dark beer.

Smell: A great combination of malt, caramel, coffee in the nose. Not overwhelming, but impressive.

Taste: Caramel, malt, with a light chocolate and coffee in the finish. Hops decided to stay home with this one. A mild bitterness finishes this perfectly. I can't wait until the next sip.

Mouthfeel: Super creamy with a body just a tad bit heavier than a Guinness, but with so much more flavor. Carbonation is mild, which is expected for the style. Very enjoyable...

Overall: Triumph Princeton has a winner here. An outstanding rendition of the style. If you haven't tried it on nitro, I highly recommend it.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

I tried this while having dinner at the Triumph brewpub in New Hope, PA just northeast of Philly. Nice town to waste a day in if you're into artsy shops and lots of tourists. Anyway, the Irish Dry Stout came to me in a pint via a very slow waitress, but even so the head was present and did not wavier from its 3/4" crown. The beer itself is so deep brown that it looks black, and the head is a slight off white. The smell and taste is of coffee and roasted malt, even some faint nutmeg and chocolate. The beer tastes very similar to a guiness draught, only it must have more abv, as it finishes dryly. The beer drinks a whole lot lighter than it appears, and I found myself ordering another mid meal. Unlike some other stouts, this one even exudes a bitter flavor, especailly in the aftertaste. With the sweetness of the choco and coffee taste, it is a most welcome addition. It is one of the better brewpub stouts I've had, if not the best. I was unimpressed with some other beers from Triumph that day (hefe, honey wheat) and unopinionated about another (amber), but certainly if you are near Princeton or New Hope, stop in and treat yourself to this wonderful beer.

3.18/5  rDev -19.9%

Basic black with a dense, tan head that produced thick lacing from start to finish. Great head retention too. The aroma was very roasted, coffee, and burnt with just a little malty character. Bitterness was well balanced with sweeter malts, but I found it overly roasted and burnt. Some chocolate and hop flavour was present as well. Decent texture, some creaminess with low carbonation. Very dry and phenolic. I enjoyed the first half of my pint, but it became difficult to finish it off. The intense dryness and roast just got to be too much.

4.13/5  rDev +4%

A - Comes at you a near black. Some light gets through on the edges with a brown tint. A nice nitro induced head sits atop and leaves a full sheet of lace on the glass.

S - A nice coffee like roasted aroma.

T - A very, very nice taste. Lots of roasty flavor here. This brew had the most flavor of any Dry Irish Stout I've ever tried. I actually think that the Nito might hurt this beer flavorwise, and would love to see it poured through a normal tap and called an American Stout.

M - Typical creamy nitro'ed feel.

D - Excellent. A great session stout with a lot of flavor going on.

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm not a big fan of Guinness, at least of the version I get in the States, so I was hesitant about this beer. No worry. It's great: roasted malts, hints of nuts, a distinct hop flavor. Most importantly for me, it wasn't overly creamy. The mouthfeel was full, but I didn't feel like a was downing a milshake, which is what turns me off about Guinness.

All the flavors are in perfect harmony. Triumph's hallmark is precision, nailing each flavor, never needing to pile on with flavors to mask brewing imperfections. This one is no exception.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

A- opaque black with a minimal tan head that hung around for the entire pint.

S- Has the roasted coffee espresso smell along with a little bit of barley

T- first think i noticed was the coffe followed by a hint of chocoalte followed up by the slightest hint of hops

M- not very thick and heavy at all. fairly light and crisp.

D- drinkability is high which adds another plus to this beer

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Dry stout is not my favorite style. I always find the light mouthfeel disconcerting next to the creamy head and dark color. But I've had enough to know what they are supposed to be like, and Triumph nails the style perfectly. True excellence in execution.

I had it as part of a sampler. None of the other beers had any head left by the time they reached our table, but the stout still had 1/2" of darkish, smooth, creamy foam. The beer itself was opaque and nearly black with that light mouthfeel I always find surprising. Lots and lots of roasted barley in aroma and flavor, with coffee and hints of chocolate to round it out. No hop presence that I could detect.

As the glass warmed, some yeast-derived fruitiness started to appear, but it never had a chance against the roasty-coffee flavor. There was still foam clinging to the sides as I finished the glass.

Like I said, dry stout is not my thing. But if you like dry stout, try this. Just about a perfect example of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

On-tap at the brewpub in Princeton.
This was a very nice drinkable stout. Opaque with a tan head. Served slightly too cold. Smells slightly of coffee. Tastes strongly of coffee and smoky malts. Hints of chocolate and mild hops as it warmed a little. Very creamy, makes me wonder what the Coffee and Cream Stout is like. Smooth finish.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%