Jewish Rye Beer - Triumph Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Triumph Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Rye Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2002)

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Enjoyed on premises at the Princeton brew pub this interesting brew has a cloudy, orange-amber appearance with a healthy white head and good lacing. I can smell deep earthy rye bread that is more like real rye bread than any other I've ever smelled, accent on the carroway! The flavor is a more perfumy or flowery rye, but unmistakeable rye bread just the same. It seems near minty with subtle sweetness and dry herbal hops. I would call this light bodied with a very crispy feel with tiny bubbles. Real nice and my first true rye (in terms of the flavor) in my opinion. It's about time! Nice job Triumph.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Jewish Rye Beer | on-tap | ?% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Triumph Brewing Company
Style: Rye Beer
Glass: Pint

Appearance:
Murky amber with a finger of tan head.

Aroma:
Rye dough all the way.

Taste:
An assertive, spicy rye flavor steals the show. Like a rye bread sandwich in liquid form.

Mouthfeel:
Carbonation sparkles nicely. Light-medium bodied.

Harmony:
Very nice. I like it.

Would I get it again?:

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy light ruby color with a small fluffy white head.

Smell: That fine fine rye spice, just like sticking your nose in a bag of fresh rye bread. There's a earthiness that permeates all other flavors and a bit of a fruity lemon like back tone.

Taste: They say it's like eat some fresh Jewish Rye bread and I'd have a tough time arguing that. That fruitiness is a bit more prevalent in the taste and it finishes with a nice little bitter bite.

Mouthfeel: Soapy and sticky/slimy but fairly light bodied.

Drinkability: I had this with some traditional bar food and it held up nicely, I could easily put two or three of these back without really losing much flavor or getting bored. Overall not bad and one I'll definitely pick up in the future.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Murky, pale gold color.

S - Rye bread. Very obvious this is a rye beer in the nose, otherwise not much going on.

T - Again, rye bread pretty much covers it. Really tasty but only if you like rye. Really quite refreshing and unique, I have not come across any brews in this style at the local brewpubs. Not spicy like some ryes can be, little hop flavor is detectable.

M/D - Though quite bready not terribly thick, little if any residual sweetness. Flavor does hang around for a while but again, not a bad thing if you are a fan of rye.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Wow,I was not ready for that! What a taste, and it just keeps coming. After my first taste this beer would not quit. Flavor after Flavor. I am not a fan of this brewer, but this is a home run. If you like malty beer with a great finish this one is for you. Had it on tap at the Brewers Plate and found this late, but even with my buds worn out this beer stood out and shouted for attention. Many missed this beer, but I did my part to turn on as many as I could. The question now is will they bottle this beast. Later.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

The beer arrived a cloudy almost orange color with a decent head above. The aroma is grainy with lots of rye and bready character. A big bready malt flavor on the palate with another dose of rye. Carraway seed flavors mix in but are not overbearing. The beer finishes quick and clean. Not a bad brew, something a little different.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer is simply the single most appropriately named beer I have ever encountered.

They say that smells and tastes can bring back memories. This beer did just that for me.

My Great Grandmother used to eat Rye toast with honey whenever she came to visit us. Of course, as a little kid, I used to have a bite or enjoy a piece myself....

I know you don't care, but all of this came flooding back to me as I smelled and then tasted this beer. Yes, as every other reviewer says, this is liquid rye bread.

One of the most interesting beers I've had in quite some time.

Cloudy and amber in color.
Nice foamy to slightly creamy 2 finger head sat atop for quite some time.
A slight amount of lacing remained.

Aroma was the first indication of what awaited you. Caraway seeds and Jewish Rye bread, that's simply what it smelled like.

Taste was no surprise after such a distinctive aroma. Yes, Jewish Rye bread.

Medium body that matched the bread like quality, but overall very drinkable.

I am NOT a fan of caraway and I can tell you it's not over powering.

Triumph claims that they have been brewing this beer for some time and that it's not a part of the recent Rye trend.

Kudos on a very interesting and satisfying brew. Thanks for bringing back some nice memories of "Bobi" my Great Grandmother.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours amber with a foamy head that thins and stays.

The smell is faint - doughy with a hint of rye.

The taste is of rye and carroway with breadiness. Tastes just like rye bread.

Medium-to-full bodied with mild carbonation.

Tastes like rye bread - surprisingly so. Ligquid bread, indeed - rye.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

A pint of hazy amber goodness met me at the downstairs bar. Aroma was negligible with a hint of (you guessed it) rye. This puppy arises in the flavor department. Oh, it's rye! Lot's of it. And even some pumpernickel gets through. Spiced with a good healthy dose of caraway to boot. This is caraway and rye all the way, with a finish that is smooth and oily.

Last swigs: Some fellow brewers tell me that rye is not easy to use in a brew so this seems to be what is proposes to be: Rye beer! Period!

Beer is good. Happy rye beering.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

This is liquid rye bread. I wish I could tell you something more descriptive or something that captures the essence of this beer in wonderful prose. Sorry.

Liquid rye bread. I would have preferred if they used less caraway. But guess what? If they did that, this wouldn't taste exactly like rye bread. They have the proportions dead to rights.

I don't particularly care for rye bread, so I'm going to reduce the drinkability on this one. (Even if I liked it more, the taste is just spooky. Beer shouldn't taste exactly like something else.)

Appearance was fine. Only real downside: No discernable smell. And my traveling beer friend blitheringidiot has my back on this. My sense of smell is not at all acute, so you have a second opinion.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

My first rye. And it may be one of the best beers i've ever had. I loved the intense rye bread flavor. All i could think of was corned beef and slaw. It has a very nice orange-amber hue, not a whole lot of head (i had it in a growler, so i don't know quite how it could've looked straight from tap), but it was fresh enough that it had ample carbonation. A very smooth beer with a nice refreshing crispness to it. i've been itching for this beer ever since i've had it. I've been trying to find another beer like it in bottle, but i can't seem to find one. All i can say is that i can't wait for next year when the rye comes out again.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Bought a pint of this on the suggestion of my friend who's been raving about this brew since last summer.

Appearance: Orange-red body with a quarter inch head that doesn't last.

Aroma: Somewhat citrusy hop aroma...strong rye seed aroma. Maltiness not too prevalent

Taste: Yeah, beer is called "liquid bread" sometimes; yet this brew actually tastes like liquid bread. If I stuck this in the blender with a pickle, some pastrami and mustard, I'd have a damn good deli lunch. Rye is very prominent...also a very sour taste to the beer.

Mouthfeel: Light body...minimum bitterness. Acidity lends to a very interesting brew.

Drinkability: Definitely a session brew, but I could see the sourness getting to me after a couple.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

Where's the Corned Beef?

That was my question. A good looking brew with a moderately dark hue, the aroma was filled with a pungent rye smell that enticed the tastebuds to think food. The taste was what the smell forshadowed: an initial rye taste that finished off with a pumpernickel aftertaste. Just fabulous. I'm not sure that you can drink more than 2 or so but as a change of pace, this is among the best I've had. Hats off to Triumph for a job well done. But next time, I'm bringing the corned beef!

Jewish Rye Beer from Triumph Brewing Company