Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

135º Lovibond
to view more.
Ratings: 3,940 | Reviews: 1,881
4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle to pint glass. Pitch black with a thick tan head that lasts. S: Milk chocolate up front and roasted malts. T: Malts up front with a dark chocolate presence. Was hoping for a little more up front chocolate like the smell F: it is thin but i feel it matches the flavor profile and that it would feel "off" if it was thicker. Wish it had a touch less carbonation O: Very solid!! Will definitely buy again. Just wish it had more chocolate presence in the taste

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Hate to defend from the brothers. I'm disappointed. Mouthfeel thin chocolate faint and bitterness dominates finish. I love everything Oregon but this not up to snuff

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Smell: milkchoclate malt sweetness Coffee
taste: First it tastes like milkchoclate then a heavy bitterness enters the game and the taste goes into the dark chocolate direction.
For my taste a little bit to light body but overall a solid an nice stout

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

A true classic. How have I not rated this already?
22oz bottle served in a stout glass. Beer pours as black as expected and forms a medium brown head. Mild cocoa aroma atop bittersweet chocolate flavor, with just a kiss of hops familiar to an American stout. The chocolate brings up both the levels of bitter and sweet. The result is really tasty and drinkable. Not as sweet as Young's double chocolate, and pairs way better with dessert.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow, there’s a Chocolate Stout from Rogue I haven’t tried yet... I’m sure it was merely an oversight on my behalf, I love Chocolate Stouts, in fact the name of my beer review blog was almost going to be ILCS (I Love Chocolate Stouts) however I Hate Macros seemed a bit of a better fit - it encompassed brews that weren’t specifically Chocolate Stouts and also increased my hits with web users that hate MS Office [you’ll have to think about that one for a moment dear reader]. In any case Rogue, what can I say about them that hasn’t already been said by others? They’re a brewer with more craft pedigree than you can poke a stick at, and one of the few brewers that experiment with weird/wonderful ingredients*, they got moxy.

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: “Welcome to the dark side of the beer” I think to myself with Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars’s voice in my head. A delicious inky black body with a 1cm mocha head... and the prize goes to: Rogue! 9/10.

S: Milk chocolate upfront, as it damn well should be, with a solid biscuit malt base, oats, a touch of earthiness, along with some choc-chip cookie for good measure - “I’m going to enjoy this!” (Freddy Quimby from The Simpsons). 9/10.

T: Yep, a solid Chocolate Stout FTW! This is one tasty chocolate brew, though I would recommend letting it warm a little as I drank this fairly chilled and it was muted as a result, but damn: the flavours are there and they’re great; milk chocolate, biscuit malts, oats, cookie, vanilla and a slight roasted/light bitter character towards the end - this is one Stout that spoils you like a kid at Easter. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied with a slightly gassy carbonation. I had a burp, and I shouldn’t with a Stout. This is the only smudge against an otherwise awesome brew. 8/10.

D: Certainly a brew I will be getting again... and again... and again... and possibly again... but after that no more for a while... then just as I think I won’t get it again - I get it again. Rogue Chocolate Stout is up there with Amager Bryghus & Cigar City’s Xiquic as one of my favourite chocolate beers, and praise well-earned that is and indeed high, mmm [I’m doing a Yoda voice now]. 9/10.

Food match: Chocolate pie, if indeed such a thing exists, with Chantilly cream (if indeed such a thing exists).

*Check out my tasty review of their Voodoo Doughnut Pretzel, Raspberry & Chocolate Ale on BeerAdvocate and hopefully one day: this blog.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours black with a large tan head.
Nose shows milk chocolate, dry roast, cocoa.
Similar flavours, loads more dry roast, a fair bit of bitterness but some sweet milk chocolate too.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Has a more Milk Chocolate character, solid.

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Pours a nice black colour with inch and a half frothy tanned head that reatins and laces well on my Duvel tulip

S - As expected sweet chocolate malt aromas, some burnt or smoked coffee

T - Sweet chocolate malts very prominent, expresso or roasted coffee, dark chocolate present giving a hint of bitterness at the finish

M - Medium to full body with light carbonation

O - A fantastic chocolate stout that is easy to drink and I would recommend

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A nice chocolate stout. I like the double more but this is a great beer.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good chocolate flavor like a liquid brownie. I approve

3.44/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Very bland. Good albeit lackluster.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Very good stout and very rich.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rogue’s “Chocolate Stout” fondly brings back memories of the Winter Stout Tasting event that Nicholas Publicover and I attended a month ago, where he was entranced and firmly suggested that this was the beer of the night. According to him, despite other offerings that night having a higher ABV or different additives, the simplicity and drinkability of this beer put it over the top. An award winning beer and one of the flagship brews from Rogue, I was exceptionally excited to get my hand on another full 22oz bottle of this and put my feet up in front of a fire. Was it as good as I remembered?

Appearance – 94: The stout poured with a thicker head than I remembered (likely in part to all of those high ABV selections we drank last time that I referred to previously!), roughly a half inch thick with caramel/mocha colored bubbles that clung to the edge of the bottle. The color is pitch black and allows no light to penetrate it at all. Slight lacing was evident as well.

Aroma – 94: As one might imagine, the smell of the beer mimics the ingredients used – malts and chocolate. An earthen tone also hints at the roasted barley and rolled oats element, which became more prevalent once the beer hit my tongue.

Body & Texture – 93: As the beer is made with high quality imported chocolate, the first taste (as I’m sure you’d imagine) is of dark chocolate with a hint of milky-vanilla. After a moment a roasted coffee sensation kicks in, before departing to the earthen elements that I suggested earlier. A surprisingly complex amount of flavors given the limited ingredients. Slight carbonation also plays on the palate, which is fun!

Taste – 95: If the Nestle Quick bunny decided to make an alcoholic beverage, this would be it. Everything promised in the description delivers, and then some. Chocolate taste? Prevalent, strong, but not overpowering. Stout element? Certainly. Malted and roasted notes, with tremendous flavor in a great combination. Couldn’t have been more impressed with this selection.

Overall – 94.3 (Excellent): Tasting this beer again after a brief hiatus reminded me of what I was missing, similar to a short breakup with a girlfriend. Holy smokes, what a fantastic beer! If you remotely enjoy chocolate OR stouts (and especially both), you owe it to yourself to sample this beverage. Extremely easy to drink, delicious, and delivering on every level, there is no doubt that several bottles of this will find it to my basement to age. Incredible!

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

A great gift brought by guests to a dinner party. Ads stouts are her favorite beer style, my wife got to contribute to this review....a rarity. Pours a deep black licorice with a pretty coffee brown bubbly head that dissipates, but returns with a gentle swirl of the glass. The scent is of toasted malt and leaves a reminder of chocolate milk. The taste is of bitter dark chocolate, a hint of coffee, and a faint caramel aftertaste. Some creaminess, but also a nice carbonation. Slightly sweet, especially late. We've had chocolatier stouts, but this was nicely balanced and really quite well done. I hope to get this again, but I'll likely have to share it.

Dark brown, almoust black beer with a two finger high mocca-colored head.

Nose: Chocolate, roasted malt, dark bread, oat and coffee.
Taste: Brown sugar, dark chocolate, coffee, dark fruit and caramel.
Body: Full body, compex texture. Medium carbonation. Smooth taste. Bitter ending.

Great stout!

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

With such a chocolate smell upon first sip of this you'd think you were eating a piece of 70% cacao. Pitch black in color. Overly sweet smell but dry taste. This might be the base malts for the voodoo donut brew they make.

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This was one of the better bombers I've had in a while. tasted very very fresh. I enjoyed it a lot. Stuff pours a little lighter then an IMP with a larger toffee colored head that keeps its shape. Taste has lots of coffee, didn't get any tobacco notes. feel is awesome, not slippery but more coarse. overall the bottle i has was fresh and i really really enjoyed it!

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Much worse than its double counterpart. Too bitter and not enough chocolate for a beer called chocolate stout

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Good chocolaty stout with tobacco notes.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

another great beer from Rogue!

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Pours a thick oily black. Looks like burnt, 60 weight motor oil in my glass, I love it. Pours an easy and incredible 2 finger head with no vigorous pouring, leaves whispy lacing on the glass. Head is a dark tan color, looks like I'm pouring a cherry Coke.
S - Smells EXACTLY like a caramel macchiato, very strong caramel, coffee and dark chocolate notes in the smell with a slight bock aromas backing it all up.
T - Imagine when you were a kid drinking Nesquick chocolate milk. Imagine if they made a more adult, dark chocolate powder, this beer has that taste. This may come off unspeaking but it is a very good think, extremely delicious with hints of coffee and caramel. Extremely long finish, flavors stay resident in the mouth for quite some time. O - Absolutely a 5 star stout in my book. You next to a fireplace on a winter day with this stout in hand.
V - Good Value.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

It's a year since I've seen my girl. My lips missed your feel, tongue your taste.2 inch head is all you need, dark as night, smooth as water.

Exactly everything I look for in a chocolate stout.

2.92/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Too bitter for my palate. Hops seem to overpower the chocolate and roasted flavors.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Whoa that's a lot of chocolate! Nice, smooth, and flavorful, makes a nice sipping beer.

to view more.