Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,966 | Reviews: 1,891
3.37/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Dark brownish black, decent-sized tan head, very little lacing left behind.

S: Just lots of rich, sweet chocolate here.

T/M: Sweet chocolatey goodness up front, balanced out by some bitterness from the hops. Very little follow-through, though, and the mouthfeel is surprisingly thin and watery.

O: A decent, tasty, rather mild chocolate stout. Pretty good stuff, but could be lots better with some more body.

3.37/5  rDev -18.8%

Appearance: 22-ounce bomber. Dark, dark brown in color..very opaque. Very thin brown head even with a vigorous pour.

Smell: Nice smell of roasted coffee and obvious chocolate aroma.

Taste: Tastes strongly of dark chocolate and very apparent roasted flavor. The roasted malts are good, but maybe a little too much? I dunno, the taste just let me down a little given the other offerings I've had from Rogue. I didn't like the combination of bitter coffee and chocolate in this one and didn't enjoy the aftertaste. I think without the coffee bitterness, I would have enjoyed the taste a lot more.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation from this one, but the body is definitely fairly full. Soft, creamy finish.

Drinkability: The thick body and full flavors make this one beer you won't be drinking in large quantities.

Overall, I think other Rogues have spoiled me, because this didn't live up to my expectations like I hoped it would. Either way, I recommend it because it is still a great, very tasty chocolate stout...just not exactly to my taste.

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

Ah, the chocolate stout. The classic dilemma of whether to go with the beer or just stick to an average chocolate bar and a shot of liquor.

But Rogue, obviously, doesn't think that this should be the case and instead provides an excellent alternative, if a bit safe.

Sure the chocolate smells, tastes, feel, and look are all over, but when it tastes like a thick stout with the texture of chocolate you don't hardly mind that this is such a weak (6.0) abv. I would drink again, and the moderate price makes this seem possible as a common beer for the festive season.

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

I have seen this beer in the fridge at work for months though never tried it. I decided to give her a go and purchased a 22oz bottle with my food. I poured the beer and it looked fantastic. I am a fan of stouts so I had high hopes. I took a whiff and the beer impressed me once again. It was only when I proceeded to take a taste that I realized that this was not my brew. The initial taste was delightful but then easily overpowered by strong hints of cocoa powder. I read the bottle and they hit the nail on the head by describing it as "chocolate truffle." Too choco for me. I would recommend to a friend. Merely for kicks- as a novelty beer.

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

Sal's Bar and Liquor in Wash. Twp., NJ.
22 oz. bottle
Pint Glass

A: Poured black with a real dirty, off-white, fluffy, one finger head.

S: Some great scents: chocolate syrup, roasted coffee beans and toasted oats.

T: Not as sweet as the smell; very burnt and not as much chocolate as expected.

M: Not overly thick but bubbly and carbonated.

D: I was truly looking forward to this one for some time now but it came up a little short. I definitely want to try it on tap to get a second opinion.

22 oz bottle

Poured dark, dark brown with tan head

Smelled of chocolate (as the name would imply) and roasted malts.

Tasted of bitter chocolate, earthy hops, and roasted malts. fairly good balance, although slightly bitter for me.

fairly thick, but not oily and not too tongue coating.

Drinkability at 6% is very good, alcohol not dominant, but i am not a huge fan of the bitterness in this one.

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass

A: dark almost black 2 finger mocha head that slowly disapated, some lacing

S: chocolate and coffee

T: tasted like cold hot cocoa, slightly creamy, really sweet

M: Medium bodied, creamy, typical nice stout feel.

D: I just can't give a good score here, this is a beer thats good in moderation, and that's not due to the ABV. Its just to over the top chocolate rich, and the sweetness builds to a point you can't take it anymore. This is a brew that gives a very satisfying first impression that halfway thru has you thinking about your next selection.

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

This beer is fairly rich in flavor, but not thick in flow. Easy to drink, and it has a distinct hint of chocolate, but it is slightly tart as though there are grapes or something hidden in the shaddows. Very enjoyable beer, but the aftertaste is very undesireable.

3.34/5  rDev -19.5%

Aroma - Roasted malts like crystal malts to be specific.

Appearance - Dark brown with a brown tan head that quickly dissipated.

Taste - Roasted malt and then tons of bitter hops and chocolate. Maybe too much bitterness for my taste. I think I'm too sensitive to hops to enjoy this beer. Not enough of the roasted malts to redeem this for me.

Notes - Good mouthfeel with a decent level of carbonation.

3.34/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a bottle into my Chimay goblet. Initial pour is a dark brownish black with a tan head. Smells like...well, chocolate. Not too strong, however. Tastes of chocolate malts, much more bitter than sweet though. Would really like more sweetness. Very thin in the mouth. I couldn't drink more than a couple of these in a night...just a little too bitter for my taste.

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

Originally sampled on 3 February 2003. I am writng this review from my notes.
Appearance: This pours Jet black w/ a tan head.
Mouthfeel: My initial sips brought some unpleasant bite to the roof of my mouth, but those ceased after a few minutes. It is Definitely loaded with a lot of chocolate flavor.
Those initial unpleasant flavors lowered this review for me. I'll have to try it again in the future

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

appearance - a dark chocolate.chocolate.

smell - verry much like a cup o' hot chocolate.

taste - complex and deep with a slight coffie tinge to this sweet chocolate stout.

mouthfell- nice and thick

drinkability - I myself rate this verry high, and if you are a fan of this genre, you proaly will too...but if not you may find it to ba a bit to sweet.

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

This poured a very dark brown, almost black with a substantial cafe au lait head. It had a sweet, chocolate odor. The taste was a little off-putting. It was very sweet, almost too sweet for me, and had a pronounced chocolate taste, It felt very carbonated in my mouth, and wasn't as substantial as I expected.

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

Took the bottle from the fridge and poured it right into a clean glass. Completely black with a big brown head. Great head retention and lacing. Almost odorless, which was strange. May have been a hint of chocolate in the smell, or it could just be in my mind because of the name. Medium carbonation with a medium/full body. Seemed a little bland for a stout, but the little bit of flavor that was there was very nice. I could certainly taste the chocolate and roasted malts. Good balance of hops too. No taste of alcohol present. Overall, a slightly above average stout that's very drinkable. I'm still stumped by the lack of smell, though, which really brings the score down for this one.

Bottled: Unk

A: Pours a nice dark brown ale with a single finger of fine latte head. This dissipates over several minutes to a thick sheet of the same. cobweb lacing. Excellent clarity when one can see light.

S: Milk chocolate, cocoa, dark malts. Sweet, raisins, some hints of prune. Slightest metallic scent. A little yeast on the finish.

T: Nose>taste. Dry, dirty, slightly bitter. Some coffee grounds. The milk chocolate is left behind and only the bittersweet baker's chocolate is left in the finish. For a stout the flavors don't add up to much IMO.

M: Medium to thin with moderate carbonation. Would like to see more creaminess in the body, a bit too dry on the palate.

O: Everything seems to go great until the taste, then things don't go so well. I think the flavor is a bit one-dimensional and fails to highlight the chocolate as adverted. The body is thin and forgetful. Not a beer of fame for me.

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

My wife and I have tried this one several times,including buying it from the local Whole Foods where it is kept cold, and well it has been bitter every time -so it is either my wife and I's taste buds or just the way this one is. Everything else about it is pretty good - juts always seems to be bitter.

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

A: Was a very nice and typical black with a creamy head. Reduced down quickly to a very thin fingernail.

S: Smelled like coffee, chocolate, and cloves.

T: Really strong chocolate - very bitter. Mild coffee flavor, weak on the malts. The bitter chocolate was very over-powering and kinda killed the normally yummy malts.

M: Was good mouthfeel for a stout. I liked the thickness of it.

D: Was pretty good with food. Wasn't that fantastic by itself.

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

Draught at The Red in Santa Cruz. Black with a dense tan head. The aroma is super chocolate powered; leaning a little toward the dark side, but still milky and creamy. The flavor takes that and adds in a roasted bitterness that doesn't completely blend, but works out alright. The body is a little thin, but pretty smooth. This is a really nice smelling beer, with a pretty good flavor to back it up, but the chocolate and roasted malt don't seem to gel as well as they could

3.29/5  rDev -20.7%

This nice-looking stout pours thick and creamy, with a medium-sized dark-tan head that is populated by large bubbles. It dies off quickly, leaving almost no lacing. It looks completely opaque, even when held to the light.
I took one whiff and immediately fell in love; almost completely chocolate, but smooth milk-chocolate, not overpowering. A very light malty nose, with hints of hazelnut and coffee. I was excited to try it and hoped the sweet smell didn’t leave me disappointed.
I hate to say it, folks. I was. I’ve come to expect great thins from Rogue, and everyone else seems to be in that boat. The sweet, chocolaty smell led me to believe it would be a bit sweeter than it was. I know, I know it’s a stout, and should be treated as such, but the first thing I noticed was the bitter and highly carbonated mouthfeel. It was dry, smoky, with less chocolate than I was expecting. It most closely resembled chewing on a coffee bean; more bitter than anything. The feel wasn’t flat, but rather the taste. I thought I must have served it too cold so I waited a few minutes. And waited. And waited….and still, an even slight sweetness wasn’t there. I suppose it got slightly sweeter after a few minutes, but it was more or less flat tastes of bitter cocoa, oat, alcohol and coffee. It wasn’t very rich.
I’m not writing off Rogue by any means. It could be a bad bottle; I might have served it incorrectly. I don’t know, but I have to admit I was hoping for a little bit more drinkable beer.

3.29/5  rDev -20.7%

Reviewed January 1, 2012. Poured a 650 mL bottle into a mug.

A: This poured quite an interesting head, the head was thickly carbonated with over 4 fingers in size. This poured black, but it seemed almost like a black molasses color. Laces quite amazingly.

S: This has a strong chocolate malt smell. The head that stays strong is odd in the smell that it adds because its almost bubbly (to an extent soapy). The chocolate malt oddly comes in strongest during the swallow of the drink.

T: This carries an odd taste in that it's not really sweet. This was a drink that I've heard praise about its chocolatey goodness, but it's not at all what I was hoping for. This carries like a powdery chocolatey taste, extremely malty almost like a fountain malt shake.

M: This hits the tongue heavily carbonated (almost like a soda), but then it transforms into a full bodied thick drink. This definitely carries a nice creamy thickness.

O: I'm not quite sure that this is rated as high as it is. This as a decent taste and all, but it doesn't really feel like a beer. The taste are simply to simple in this.

3.28/5  rDev -21%

Served this at just about cellar temperature, into a pint glass, from a twenty two ounce brown bottle.

Appearance: This one pours out a deep midnight black, that looks to be like a spent motor oil, and not a single ray of light could pass through. About two and a half fingers of mocha brown head formed. Head was thick and creamy and just seemed to hang there forever. Great head retention leaves generous gobs of thick lace behind.

Smell: Aroma is thick with milky chocolate, some roasted/toasted malts and oat aromas. A bit of licorice and brown sugar are in there as well along with a hint of hops. The aroma of this beer is quite strong.

Taste: I really prefer the smell of this beer to the taste. The choclate isn't really rich and creamy like it is in the smell, and has an almost burnt flavor to it. A bit of coffee and caramel come out from the background. A rich maltiness with just a touch of hops. Not quite what I expected, I guess my expectations were set a bit high.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is very thin. No chewiness or thickness here. Almost watery.

Drinkability: Decent drinkability, but lacking some body here. A very middle of the road in my opinion.

3.27/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.0 A: Pitch black color. Two fingers of brown head, which starts out really foamy and dies down to frothy. Good retention and lots of lacing.

4.5 S: Nose is full of bittersweet chocolate. Real chocolate, not artificial. I feel like I'm in Hershey, PA. Pretty one dimensional, but it's a good dimension.

3.0 T: Taste is a huge letdown. The burst of chocolate in the nose is nowhere as strong as I expected or would have liked. I would liken it to drinking a Coke with ice and letting all the ice melt. The diluted coke is worse than either coke or water. Thus, this beer would be better if the chocolate were ramped up or completely removed. Suprisingly bitter and much less malty than I would have expected.

2.5 M: Light body, which is the exact opposite of what I would want in a chocolate beer. A bit overly carbonated too. Not creamy at all.

2.5 D: Based on the appearance and smell I was expecting something akin to ST Choklat. The taste and mouthfeel eliminated that thought on the first sip. This is a bad beer, which could easily be salvaged by ramping up the chocolate flavors and thickening the mouthfeel.

3.26/5  rDev -21.4%

22 ounce bottle. Almost opaque black with a lasting frothy light brown head. Nice looking. Pretty light on the aroma side. The chocolate comes of like obvious extract to me. Theres some slight coffee, and a good punch of hops in the flavor. Palate is okay. easy to drink. Not something I'd want to drink again though.

22oz bomber from Martignetti's

Appearance = Beautiful dark, ruby brown, close to black as you can get. Great 1.5'' head, thick and creamy, faded to 1/4'', decent lacing.

Smell = Deep, dark chocolate with robust toasted malt. Fainter and lighter than expeected but what's there is good. I expected it to be much more intense.

Taste = Disappointing given the hype. Chocolate is there but overwhelmed by a sourness that drowns out the other flavors.While I like hoppy flavors this sourness feels wrong on every level, especially in this particular style. This feels like a mismatch that isn't balanced. It's not bad though with average taste and drinkability but very disappotining given the huge expectations. The mouthfeel is also thin and watery, not what I'd expect from a stout.

Overall = An OK stout that I draink with apathy. I can't really recommend it, , but it's worth a try for stout fans.

3.26/5  rDev -21.4%

I think I got a bad bottle or something, cause I got no choclate in this whole beer. The most I got was a heavy bite from hops, which I don't care for too much. I have had the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout and that blows this one away, as far as balanced out malts and hops, as well as taste. This one was way too hoppy for me and had little balance. I got very little malts in it at all, which was a huge let down. The best thing about this brew, for me, was the apperance. This is simply one of the best looking beers you will ever see. Nice head retention and super dark color. The color was so beautiful, I couldn't see through it, so that's a plus in my book. Other than that, this was below average, as far as chocolate stouts go. I couldn't finish the bomber, and that says a lot to me.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales