Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,965 | Reviews: 1,891
3.24/5  rDev -21.9%

Received from tap with shallow head, super dark, not much color when held up to light either.

Smell was faint of burnt coffee and chocolate, minimal aromas leaping off pint. Even after a few swirls I felt the smell could've stood out a bit more.

Very clean, chocolate is immediate with hints of roasted coffee. The bitterness reminded me of unsweetened bakers chocolate rather than any hops. Bitterness was medium on the finish but left a chocolate-coffee aftertaste.

Medium/Heavy body with a typical stout palate coating to the tongue. The creaminess was nice and went down pretty easily.

It paired well with dessert but wouldn't consider as a session beer or anything outside of a dinner/dessert beer.

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours dark brown with a fluffy tan head and some sediment. Aroma is basically just sweet chocolate, can't smell much else. Not a fan of the taste, it's mostly chocolate cocoa and a little burnt coffee. Mouthfeel is a little light but decent enough. Overall this one was a let down, I'd prefer it if it wasn't completely dominated by the chocolate.

3.22/5  rDev -22.4%

As a rule I'm not the biggest fan of Rogue brews. Not because they make bad beer, on the contrary, their beer is pretty good. I'm not the biggest Rogue fan because I believe they are not living up to their potential. Rogue makes a staggeringly large array of beers, in just about every style. They use unique ingredients and bold flavorful malts that generally make their beer pretty good. But that's just it, Rogue makes good beer, but I think they could be making great beer. There is almost always one thing about each of their beers that doesn't agree with my sensibilities. Sometimes it's a thin body, or sometimes a funny flavor that lingers through the aftertaste.
Chocolate Stout is a beer that is changing my mind about Rogue. This beer is a strange brew that is oddly satisfying. The beer pours a deep black with a dark tan head and a profound aroma of cocoa. This beer hit me on three distinct levels with every sip. Like clockwork: one, two, three. The first taste is a deep rich bitter chocolate mixed with a vague toasted malt and coffee flavor. The dark chocolate gives way almost immediately to a tart liquid-citrus in the middle taste which again leaves quickly. The final stage of the taste for me is the most interesting. The easy drinking citrus disappears into a smooth aftertaste that I can only really describe as tasting like a boozy version of Yoo-Hoo Chocolate Drink. This beer is a vehicle for chocolate and the chocolate is definitely the star. I don't know that I could drink more than one of these at a time, but as a dessert, this beer works wonders.
Every time I discount Rogue beers, they seem to come up with another one that gives me hope. I hope they continue experimenting to come up with more beer that truly lives up to their potential.

3.22/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Portion of a 22 oz bottle into a regular glass.

A: Pours a dark burgundy color with good opacity. The head is a two finger mocha shade. Good lacing is left down the glass.

S: There's a decent chocolate character backed by some roasted malts and citrusy hops. The chocolate is sweet, though a touch off putting. Far from bad, though.

T: Chocolate gives way to a roasted barley finish, laced with some bitter hops. It strikes a better balance than the double version. All in all, the flavor profile is simple, but not cloying.

M: It's dry and light...at first. This initial sensation cleanses the chocolate sweetness well, however it doesn't fully clean it up. Therefore, it strikes me as unfocused, as it's caught between 'dessert beer' or 'drinkable dry stout'.

O: This would make a rock-solid everyday stout if it were A) in 6 packs and B) less expensive. It's still a decent offering, and better than the double.

3.22/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a chalice. Rogue does not print freshness info on the bottle.

Not the rich, sweet, smooth beer taste I was expecting based on the aroma. Did I get an old bottle? There was little to no sweetness. This beer needs better balance. A disappointment for me. You should try this beer if you are a stout fan, which I am, but not again for me.

A – Pours a clear reddish brown with a one-finger rocky tan head.

S - Milk chocolate, followed by coffee with some sweetness.

T – Coffee, some roasted bitterness, a bit of alcohol, a bit thin (-)

MF – Thin, dry, a little astringent (-), minerally.

3.21/5  rDev -22.7%

22oz bottle into Delirium Tremens glass. Split with friends.

A: Pours a flat black with thick dark brown head that slowly faded into a thin film that left a million specs of sticky lace down the glass.
S: Dominant whiffs of dark chocolate with a hint of smoke and grassy hops.
T: Not as potent as I was expecting. Smooth hints of chocolate and coco with a light grassiness to the finish. Aftertaste has a touch of smoke.
M: Rather watery actually. The body is a bit disappointing but this beer is still smooth and the carbonation is milky and creamy.
D: Not a bad stout, but I'm not sure if it is top 100 worthy. Definitely an easy drinker, but in my opinion there are much better.

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

650 ml bottle, "Made with imported chocolate" stamped on bottle.

Pours almost black with a foamy tan head that descends to a thin cover.

The smell is of sweet chocolate with some cherry notes.

The taste is of bittersweet chocolate truffle upfront. Slightly chalky. Some metallic/plastic notes. Opposite of descriptiion - start off sweeter and ends more bitter. Not too fond of the way the Cascade hops work together with the dark malt and chocolate.

The feel is a bit thinner than expected, but holds up decently. Doesn't quite coat the mouth the way I would like it to.

I love chocolate and stouts, but this one doesn't thrill me. I much prefer the Shakespeare Stout.

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

A overpowering strong chocolate impression that doesnt go the route of cloying sweetness and surupy, cool. This happens by using a more roasted coco powder format then a nestle sweet style like Choklat and other personally offensive beers. So take roasted oat flavors and light hoppy brightness and use it to tame cut through the sweetness, this is the lesson other brewers need to learn too.

A decent bomber to pick up to try, it's enjoyable.

Chad

3.19/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed live. Reviewed as an American Stout because it self-identifies as a chocolate stout and it's American. Okay label art. "Made with imported chocolate." 69 IBU. 15 degrees plato. 650ml brown glass bottle with standard branded pry-off cap acquired at a local Vons grocery in Santa Monica for $3.99 and served into a flared stem-snifter/tulip hybrid glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Expectations are above average since it's on the beers of fame.

Served chilled, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger wide head of khaki-tan colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Little lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is well above average - about 3-4 minutes.

Body colour is a predictable solid opaque black; dark but not a jet black per se. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Standard fare for the style. Not unique or special. No obvious flaws.

Sm: Cocoa powder/dust, chocolate malt, dark malts, caramel, buried light roast. Not getting any coffee, vanilla, or molasses. Hop character is present yet generic; hopping is primarily preservative here. Sweet. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. An above average to mild strength aroma.

T: Dark malts and chocolate malts dominate, but there is a slight hint of roast just before the climax that dies almost immediately. Definitely on the sweeter end of the sweet/bitter spectrum. Stale cocoa dust. Oats. Fairly balanced, but there's room for improvement. Would definitely benefit from more complexity and subtlety. I do like it in a general sense. By no means mind-blowing. The chocolate itself isn't particularly rich or evocative; sort of a generic crumbly milk chocolate with heavy cocoa powder notes.

No coffee or vanilla. Lacks flavour diversity, depth, and intensity. Flavour duration is good.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and slightly soft. Good thickness. Nice creaminess for what it is. Good carbonation. Not biting, harsh, gushed, or oily. Suits the flavour profile generally well, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it. Not syrupy. Decent body.

The soft texture is a highlight.

Dr: Very drinkable; I'll have no trouble finishing the bottle. Fairly priced at $4.00 USD per bottle; I'd definitely get it on-draught at this price. For a beer of fame though, it's not horribly impressive. A pretty decent offering from Rogue, but it's far from mind blowing. I wouldn't want more than one in any given night. Tasty but forgettable. Rogue makes better beers. Hides its ABV well.

High C+

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A: poured jet black (maintained when held up to a light) with an inch of caramel-colored head (minute settle). some sticky, globby lacing but that settled quickly.

S: nesquik chocolate syrup (dominating the olfaction), roasted grains, and just a slight undertone of rottenness that's reminiscent of the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator after a few weeks of neglect.

T: given the potent chocolate smell, i was expecting an overwhelming chocolate-milk taste, but the taste was actually a little underwhelming. there's a slight nose of chocolate but that's about all i'm getting.

M: rather light. again... leaving something to be desired. a bitter-tinge down the middle of the tongue and it's gone.

O: despite what sounds like a negative review, i didn't hate this beer. it had an enjoyable, unique smell (one of the most chocolaty smellin' beers i've ever had) and an easy-on-the-palate taste; the appearance and smell just got my hopes up. i was expecting a trip down memory lane when i used to put entirely too much chocolate in my milk when no one was looking.

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a stemless wine glass. No bottle date from what i can tell.

A- Pours a dark brown/black color with a creamy looking light mocha colored head. Dies down into a small film on top of the surface.

S- Lots of chocolate and coffee up front, a little bit of roasty malts, more chocolate. Smells to be a little oxidized maybe? Some very subtle hints of cardboard that is reminicent of vomit. Weird. Doesnt take away from the chocolate onslaught that this beer provides.

T- Follows the nose, coffee and chocolate, a little sweet, alot of bitter. Relatively high IBU, not the norm but interesting nonetheless. The intense chocolate is the only reason that this beer gets a slightly above average rating in this catergory. Lingering bitterness.

M- Average mouthfeel on this one, creamy, not bad. Get a little bit of metallic taste that bounces off the roof of my mouth. Kindof strange.

O- Only slightly above average. Good for the style. I like Rogue alot, maybe this one isnt as fresh as id like but i can only rate this on what i have in front of me, it is what it is.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured into a goblet. Inky black, opaque appearance with a light coffee-colored head that dissipated quickly; subtle lacing clung to the side of the glass during the entire tasting. Smell presented with hints of espresso and malt. As soon as the beer touched the front of my tongue, flavors of dark chocolate and roasted/burnt coffee wafted through my sinuses; however, the smell was much more intense than the flavor. Mouthfeel was thin and watery with a little too much carbonation for this style. Drinkability was somewhat less than I expected due to the amount of carbonation and the burnt taste at the finish.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

A - Pitch black with a fluffy/creamy 2 finger head.

S - Well, chocolate along with vanilla, coffee, & sweet malt.

T - Bitter chocolate. Coffee. Faint hops as well.

M - Bit too carbonated for me. Not as creamy as I'd like.

D - Fairly good. A bottle was no trouble.

You can taste the chocolate for sure. Would be good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

I love stout. I love chocolate. But this combo missed the mark for me.

3.14/5  rDev -24.3%

I ought to be more critical, but I don't have it in me today...

A- pours a dark brown, almost black into a highball glass. The head is a foamy, rich mocha color. gorgeous.

A- One dimensional, but incredibly distinct. Smells like a chocolate milk that has been sitting out in the sun. A little musty, and buttery. It's a smell you'll never forget... even if you want to.

T- Mirrors the taste. The chocolate notes are there, but they're not becoming of a Stout. I've have "chocolate" Porters and Stouts, but it never tastes like this. This reminds me of artificially sweetened cocoa powder.... not a chocolate stout. DISTINCT American hops. They're not the main feature, but they're unavoidable, particularly in the finish.
If it were competing w/ Aunt Jemima's Syrup, I'd call it a competitive attempt, but I'd pick the syrup.

I'm sounding harsh, but only beause of other beers I have had. I do enjoy drinking this, but it's not a hallmark Stout.

It finishes dry... and it's unoffensive: those are features to its credit.

M- creamy, almost silky. Gives way to dryness.

O- Not my cup of tea. I was expecting more. ROGUE's Oatmeal Stout blows this away!!! I'd pick most any ROGUE beer I have had over this one; though I'm not familiar with more than half their line-up.

This just tastes too one-dimensional, and that flavor isn't overwhelmingly appealing. In fact, I could almost do without it.

I guess this beer can be regarded like lots of visiting family members: they're great at first, but then they just become nagging.

3.14/5  rDev -24.3%

Hmm.

A * Poured into a simple pint glass. Dark, dark in pour, dark in the cup. Zero transperancy. Light brown head that dwindles down to nothing across the surface, light stickyness of head wedged in the corner where the beer meets the cup. Lacing is thin lines but plentiful all the way around the cup.

S * Wow. Smells wonderful. Smells like walking into a fine chocolate shop. Dark chocolate, malt, coffee, and molasses.

T * I'm confused here. I don't pick up any hops in the nose but they are very prominent, almost too bitter for what I'm prepared for. I am expecting dark chocolate and malt, which are there, but the taste is overwhelmed with hop bitterness, almost soured in combination with the other flavors. Reminiscent of old coffee. I'm wondering if this bottle has been sitting under the lights too long.

M * Smooth, kinda creamy, over-carbonated. I'm immediately hit with an odd sour bitterness in the back of my tongue which is throwing off any potential it has for a good creamy mouthfeel.

D/Overall * I'm disappointed. I'm kinda worried this was an old bottle that was sitting for too long. I got it for $4.99 which around here is an amazing price for a Rogue 22oz, generally they're $6.99. I will try this again, but not until I find it on tap.

3.11/5  rDev -25.1%

poured into a clean pint glass

A: very dark with thick head which was dark in color.

S: I didn't smell much slight dark roasted malt no real decernable chocolate smell.

T: I only tasted a slight roasted coffee taste typical of a stout no real chocolate taste at all. Slightly hoppy.

M: heavy and creamy

O: I know this has gotten some really good ratings but I don't see why. There was very little taste to this beer and the chocolate didn't add anything to it as far as I was concerned.

3.08/5  rDev -25.8%

From notes

A - thick inky black with a huge brown head. Lots of lacing.

S - muted on the nose but as it warms it becomes a little bit clearer but only a baking chocolate and mild roasted maltyness is detectable.

T - a bittersweet dark chocolate flavor and the some more coffee/roasted malt sort of bitterness. Overall this chocolate stout comes off alittle to bitter to me.

M - full bodied medium carb right for the style.

D - drinkable. I just didn't think it was as balanced as it couldve been.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

Appearance: onyx-black, medium layer of tan foam with OK retention at first, then just a thin film

Aroma: coffee, chocolate liqueur, faint malts, vanilla, a very subdued aroma that slowly stacks up and becomes a little more substantial

Flavor: midly sweet then lots of roast then a hop bitterness takes charge for a second or two before oat-stout sweetness appears, faint chocolate notes, finishes semi-sweet with chicory and dark chocolate truffle in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, terse carbonation, alcohol warmth, a bit astringent

Other comments: The aroma is surprisingly subdued. You really have to hunt for it at first. After a while it seems a little more present, but you'd think there would be more to it. A decent stout. I wonder what the "natural chocolate flavoring" is.

This bottle was courtesy of frank4sail, who brought it (amongst many others) to Belgium for me. I shared it with Belgianbeers during an "American Craft-brew" tasting the other night.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours a nice dark black with a mocha creamy head. It has some beautiful lacing as well as I let the the head dissipate.

Right off the bat I get some roasted maltiness in the nose. Dry cocoa powder and crusty bread as well. The more I smell it, for lack of a better description, it reminds me of when you first enter an old attic. Kind of musty and stale, but not necessarily bad.

The taste is nothing of what I expected. Right up front it threw me off with a chalky, dry cocoa taste. I guess after reading the bottle it makes sense but I get very earthy grains as well. I do not get a lot in the middle but I get bitterness in the finish as well as some burnt coffee grounds which I always enjoy.

This beer is thin without a ton of body. I might be biased as I have been drinking mostly bigger, imperial stouts lately with a lot more viscosity.

Over all this is an interesting beer that surprised me. I am glad I tried it but I was expecting a bit more.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

I was not greatly impressed with this beer. It certainly looked the part of a sweet stout, but the flavor and mouthfeel were very reminiscent of Yoohoo chocolate drink to me...which is to say chocolate-y (in a way) yet a bit thin and watery.

This beer certainly looks the part of a top-notch stout; it was black and opaque, although not particularly viscous. Head formation was creamy and sturdy. Aroma was chocolate-y and coffee-ish, but not overpowering. Flavor was as I said, very reminiscent of Yoohoo. Mouthfeel was a bit thin.

I’d weakly recommend this beer.

I picked up this 22oz bottle from Gary’s Liquor in Oak Creek, WI.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

This was on nitro-tap. What the hell was my favorite beer bar thinking? Talk about almost ruining a great beer. This isn't Guiness so don't make the mistake of treating it like Guiness.

Appearance - dark as a no-star night in Maine. So dark you can't find your way through the forest.

Smell - I swear nitro-refrigeration affects the aroma, even if it's only in my mind. Overly cooled brew, no hints of chocolate, cara, or coffee. No hop aroma (not surpising). Just a little bit of bland malty aroma.

Taste - A touch of chocolate. My guess is that due to the nitro-pour, no way this brew was ever going to warm up to a decent temp and consistency in my life time. Bottled is way better. Hops, however light, seemed murdered by the nitro.

Mouthfeel - a little thin

Drinkability - just okay, didn't get a second, which is unusual. Too cold, too bland.

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Hate to defend from the brothers. I'm disappointed. Mouthfeel thin chocolate faint and bitterness dominates finish. I love everything Oregon but this not up to snuff

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Appearance - A huge fistful of head that exploded over the mug and out onto the floor. A rich chocolate frothy lump on top. Decent lacing.

Smell - Only chocolate and malt.

Taste - A cola-like chocolate that seemed slightly skunked. A more bitter chocolate. It honestly didn't taste all too different from the Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock I had earlier today.

Mouthfeel - A smooth and tasty coffee flavor. Remains a bit skunked. Perhaps I got an older bottle.

Drinkability - Easily drinkable and a little watery. I don't see anything too special in this stout.

Verdict - I personally couldn't find what was so special about this stout. One of the less impressive chocolate stouts I've had. As I said, perhaps my bottle was a little old.

Appearance: it looks a stout though a non-descript one.
Smell: chocolate (duh). Not bad but nothing like I was expecting.
Taste: again, chocolate and enjoyable but nothing outstanding IMO.
Based on rep I thought this one would drink like a chocolate shake so to speak. Full disclosure, after kbs and to a lessor degree southern tiers chokolat, maybe I'm ruined. Still with less alcohol I anticipated a quaffer. A tasty stout but no standout IMO.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a cola brown that collects into a black body with hints of red. Deep tan head that never really goes away, throwing some lacing up the sides of the glass.

S- Strong. Big wafts of chocolate. It smells like a tootsie roll.

T- Less chocolate that I expected. Mostly roasty and charred. Some earthiness towards the end followed by some hops.

M- Thinner than I had hoped. Fluffy carbonation. Smooth

D- This is an alright beer. Nothing awful but I dont think I'll have it again.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales