2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,352 | Reviews: 1,826 | Show All Ratings:
JamesS

Indiana

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured a great opaque color with a wonderful tan head and excellent lacing. It has a very nice scent. a bit of burnt grains with a hint of chocolate. Outstanding taste! A great stout, with burnt grains and coffee flavoring, along wiht an absolutely wonderful dark chocolate taste. It's creamy and goes down great. One of the best beers I've ever had.

03-03-2008 00:15:11 | More by JamesS
EnojysAnyBeer

Colorado

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

What a truly exceptional stout. My 1st chocolate-infused beer and I am blown away

A- Poured vigorously for an amazing 4-finger frothy, cascading, latte-colored head that leaves lacing all over the glass. Deep opaque black.

S- Smells like chocolate liquor mixed with the traditional malted barley and hops of a beer.

T- Taste is unbelievably chocolate. The sugary taste of the chocolate greatly compliments the sweet malts and the bitter taste compliments the spicy hops

M- Feels like a watery hot-chocolate mix. Medium-heavy body and silky carbonation

D- I could drink this for as long as my sweet tooth is awake and then some just for kicks. The bittersweet aftertaste makes you want more after every sip.

09-09-2008 03:06:08 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
MrStark

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is a a dark opaque black with a huge light brown/tan head that slowly settles and has great retention. Nice sticky lacing.

Smell is quite potent with rich milk chocolate and cocoa as well.

Taste is a wonderful! Now this is what I want to taste in a beer with the word chocolate on the label. A combination of sweet milk chocolate and a nice roasted dark chocolate malt bitterness towards the end. This is just about chocolate desert in liquid form to me. Very rich and pleasant!

Mouthfeel is full bodied, nice and smooth. Cream with a mild amount of carbonation. Feels very nice on the tongue.

Drinakability in a word, fantastic! This is by far one of the best stouts I've ever had. It goes down very nicely and leaves me wanting to grab another bottle. I could drink this all night and if it were in six pack from, an instant session beer for me.

11-07-2009 01:19:18 | More by MrStark
drawbackwards

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

oh my god...this chocolate stout is the best that i have ever had. ok from the get go...the pour- very good, dark, nice milk chocolate head.
nose- this is where i fell in love. the smell of chocolate ovaltine is f'ing DELICIOUS!
mouthfeel- nice carbonation, extremely smooth
taste- as i review this i am thinking to myself...i am so upset that i only have 1 bomber of this and will be finishing it shortly. this beer is delicious. you can taste the chocolate right away, but it's not too overwhelming. you still have the maltiness of the stout to remind you "this is still a tough beer". not a covered up chocolate piece of crap.
one of my favorite stouts EVER...

02-02-2010 23:52:26 | More by drawbackwards
mjurney

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

[Appearance]: Jet black color, beautiful creamy head, lacing looks awesome on the glass.
[Smell]: Milk chocolate in the nose, roasted malts, touch of coffee.
[Taste]: Milk chocolate up front, roasted malts, some little coffee, dash of nutty, finish off nice bitterness from the hops.
[Mouthfeel]: Very creamy mouthfeel, full-bodied, light on the carbonation, very smooth.
[Drinkability]: Very drinkable.

03-07-2010 02:44:47 | More by mjurney
Orangesoda111

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

A - As the beer pours into the glass from the 22 oz bottle, it forms a nice dark brown head very rapidly. The beer itself is pitch black in color, and as you sip this beer, it leaves a very nice lacing behind in the glass. This is one of the best looking beers Ive ever seen.

S - I am getting a slightly roasted smell, followed by the chocolate. Overall it smells very good, theres not a huge chocolate aroma like I was expecting but the chocolate is definitely present.

T - Wow, this beer has a VERY nice chocolate taste, but not in a gimmicky way, like some of the other chocolate stouts Ive had. When I think of A chocolate stout this is how I picture it tasting. Besides the chocolate taste, it also has a roasted quality to it, plus a tasty hop bitterness at the end. The chocolate flavor is great, but more importantly its balanced perfectly with the hop bitterness, and roasted flavors.

M - This beer has a very thick mouth feel, and it goes down nice and smooth. I enjoy beers that tend to have a nice full body like this one.

D - Personally I think the beer is highly drinkable, just because it taste so great. It may have a full body, and be a dessert beer, but I can see myself drinking 4 of these bottles in one sitting. Sure I would probably pass out in a drunken mess, and have nightmares of chocolate bars with arms and legs, beating my ass with Rogue Chocolate Stout bottles, but in the end its all worth it for the delicious choc-a-riffic taste.

09-10-2010 17:05:37 | More by Orangesoda111
kchannel9

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

This is my new favorite beer, period. I absolutely love everything about it, it is a perfect chocolate stout. I usually favor high IBU India Pale Ales, specifically double IPAs. This beer has single handedly broadened my horizons and become my new favorite. Om Kali Ma

01-07-2012 10:59:35 | More by kchannel9
phunkychickita

Maine

4.89/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is, hands down, the best chocolate stout I've had the pleasure of trying to date. I keep searching for something equal or better tasting, as I don't see it often up in Maine, but alas... to no avail! This beer has just the most perfect blend of true chocolate flavor... not too sweet. It's like desert in a bottle for me!

05-20-2013 16:22:20 | More by phunkychickita
comat0se

Colorado

Chocolate!

Beer pours black as night topped with a creamy smooth, dessert-like tan head. Big time chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt aromas exploding out of the beer. Later on, the aroma reminded me more of a really nice chocolate milkshake. The flavor meets the expectation groundwork laid down by the aroma and appearance. CHOCOLATE! That's what this beer is all about. Dessert malt, coffee, and chocolate flavors with a great mouthfeel to boot. This isn't an overly sweet beer either, but nicely balanced. Next time I'm going to bust out some strawberries with this beer for an experiment in decadence.

01-11-2003 20:51:21 | More by comat0se
kunzbrew

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

This brew pours a an opaque black with a nice size rich creamy head that last a little awhile and leaves a nice silky sexy lace in its tracks. The sweet smell of chocolate milk fill my nose and bring me back to when I was a child. THis is making me want that little nestle quik rabbit. The aroma of roated malts also fill the nose.

The first sip is very rewarding, the chocolate is wonderful and the toasted malts are very flavorful. The hop flavor is low but that is ok, it doesn't make a difference.

This is a kick ass beer from a kick brewery.

Cheers

04-29-2003 18:07:46 | More by kunzbrew
Boilermaker88

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

So, last night my wife and I had just put my son to bed and she asks me if I have any beer she might like. I check the fridge and there sat my bomber of Rogue’s Chocolate Stout, virtually begging to be chosen. Since my wife already is a fan of Young’s Double Chocolate Stout, she was willing to try Rogue’s offering.
This brew had a uniform ebony hue that looked like it was sucking the light out of the room. A firm, bubbly, one-finger brown head perched atop the beer. As the beer disappeared, a solid layer of sheet lace was left behind. The rich chocolate aroma came pouring off the top well before I got my nose close to the glass. Some roasted malt notes were also present but the overwhelming aroma was chocolate. The taste was redolent of dark chocolate, amazing in its richness. It reminded me of the Swiss dark chocolate my brother gave me on his last visit back to the States. Some light oatmeal and gentle coffee flavor rounded out the taste profile. The feel was medium-bodied at first but built up in thickness as it warmed. Not quite as velvety smooth as Young’s, however.
I’m astounded at how much chocolate flavor and aroma is crammed into this beer. It’s not a beer; it’s like a dark chocolate mousse that got liquified. Unbelievably drinkable; try to restrain yourself from guzzling it all before it has a chance to warm up some.

12-03-2003 20:28:56 | More by Boilermaker88
Dmann

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

This is dessert in a bottle! It poured a jet black color with a dark brown head that settled into a pillow of foam after about 1 min. The smell was all chocolate, just like sniffing the inside of a truffle. The taste was just amazing with a great chocolate sweetness and just enough hops to balance out the flavor. This is one that could be enjoyed with cake or ice cream or just by its self. What a beer!

01-14-2004 07:06:38 | More by Dmann
goschool

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

If you like chocolate, you oughta love this stuff. If you don't, you... you're wierd. The pour is dark, dark brown with a fluffy tan head. Milk chocolate fills the nose like chocolate milk. Burnt and roasted malts join the chocolate in the taste to remind you that you're drinking a stout. If you let the beer sit on your tounge for a moment it becomes velvety smooth and soooo creamy. Another plus is that this is the only sweet stout I've had that doesn't become sickeningly rich by the end. This one's totally worth Rogue's high price.

06-16-2006 07:14:54 | More by goschool
yemenmocha

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours opaque black with off brown/tan head that retains well.

Nose has a nougat-chocolate character that is very enticing.

On the palate the roasted malts, multi-chocolate flavours dominate, and hops are noticeable in the background to keep things from getting out of hand.

One of the most drinkable chocolate stouts I've ever had.

The chocolate components are truly some of the best around.

03-30-2008 04:22:44 | More by yemenmocha
drez511

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured into snifter from a 22 ounce bomber.

A: Dark black in color. Nice thick light brown foamy head. Looks great. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass as I drink it.

S: Malty Chocolate smell. Smells delicious.

T: First taste is burnt malt. The finish is bitter with a sweet Chocolate aftertaste.

M: Smooth and creamy. Medium body.

D: A very drinkable stout. I will have plenty of these stocked in my fridge for the fall. Goes great with the Milk Duds I am eating.

This is my favorite beer from Rogue out of all of them I tried. Much better then the Mocha porter that they offer.

11-01-2009 00:08:46 | More by drez511
magine

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a black brew, with tan massive chunky head - could float a bottle cap on it. Very nice looking brew. Nice sticky lace.

Smells awesome - chocolate, roasted; oats, barley, hops damn good smelling brew.

Brew taste very smooth, very complex and balanced. You get the roasted flavors, the chocolate, slightly bitter aftertaste.

This brew is a true treat to the palate, a superb stout that could go great after dinner. But hell why not make a session of it - I sure would. Superb.

11-05-2009 00:39:53 | More by magine
KickbacksSteve

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

22 ounce bomber poured into a Unibroue tulip. Beige head one finger thick is imploding from within as if its the surface of some other planet, yet to be discovered. Body is black as the night itself. Aroma is chocolate, or more accurately as the bottle describes...chocolate truffle. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. I would estimate that this bottle is one year old by the amount of yeast sediment/buildup at the bottom of the bottle...the perfect age for this slow to attenuate chocolate stout. Taste is creamy and smooth with some mild hops and mild alcohol heat. Some coffee notes, but mainly just chocolaty greatness. This is the best chocolate stout on Earth.

11-07-2009 09:24:47 | More by KickbacksSteve
IHC

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

This is the way a chocolate stout should taste!!

The beer pours practically black and has a big head on the top of the beer, which fades slightly over time but remains throughout drinking. The chocolate taste is perfect, with a slight roasted taste coming through in the middle this beer balances the taste of chocolate with beer bitterness perfectly.

12-09-2010 01:08:43 | More by IHC
KellyL

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Served in a snifter, poured from a bomber.

Appearance – Dark brown, almost black. Faint amounts of light penetrated only the very edges. Poured straight into the middle of the snifter. Thick tan head formed quickly and faded slowly to just the edges. Very minimal lacing.

Smell – Big hints of chocolate, slight roasted malt and very minute hop aroma. It almost smells like toll house chocolate chips.

Taste – Nice roasty flavor up front. Big chocolate notes in the middle and finish. The roasted malt blends perfectly with the chocolate. Slight residual sweetness, but overall it is reminiscent of semi-sweet chocolate. At the very end a slight toffee flavor finishes the sip off.

Mouthfeel – Creamy. Lends a nice character to the beer, almost like drinking dark chocolate milk... But better.

Overall –An almost perfect example. Perfectly balanced. A little more head retention would make it perfect. Rouge has done yet to make a beer that I can't appreciate. It's apparent to me as a home brewer that they spend a lot of time on recipe formulation before releasing a beer. This is my second time having this beer and my tasting notes are almost identical (glassware was different).

Serving type: 22 oz bottle

06-13-2012 20:14:10 | More by KellyL
FlatRabbitRed

4.86/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Mighty tastey brew, very good stuff...feel like he nailed this one. I dont like to feel like I am drinking a chocolate soda when I choose a choclate stout... and that was understood when this one was brewed.

The choclate malt and black malts are in your face, bold and smooth beer. No bitter after bite, makes you want to keep on drinking, very pleasant beer.

Loved this one!

02-10-2013 22:53:19 | More by FlatRabbitRed
Citadel82

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours inpenetrable black witha creamy cocoa colored head. Lots of thick lace.

Smell is of rich dark chocolate.

Taste is bittersweet cocoa / chocolate (reminds me of the cocoa powder made by Droste) some sweetness then coffee/cappuccino with a long dry finish.

Medium bodied, hard to believe you could pack all that flavor into such modest bodied brew.

Oy Vey, this is one special glass of stout. Like a rich chocolate cake with only a fraction of the calories. It is definitely a one per night brew. The rich complexity of this one would be too much for a repeat.

01-11-2005 03:20:08 | More by Citadel82
bobbyc881

South Carolina

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

This is by far one of my favorite beers, and I've had it both on-tap and from a 22oz bottle. Pours out nice and dark, with a creamy tan head.

Smells absouletly awesome, like chocolate, obviously. Reminds me of hot chocolate, but it's cold, and beer. Smells so wonderful that I wish I could inhale it all.

Taste matches up with the smells, except a bit more dry and bitter. Nice roasted malts. Flavored with oats and chocolate, and a bit of the hops poke through. Excellent taste.

Medium carbonation, but altogether very smooth. Leaves my mouth a touch dry.

I could drink these all night, but I could see where it would be filling for some. Excellent with a meal, but stands strong by itself as a dessert beer.

06-12-2005 23:19:00 | More by bobbyc881
asabreed

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Bought a bomber for $4.99 and was waiting for the right, relaxed night to crack it open and sip it for over an hour. It was certainly worth the wait; even with all the hype, this is a kickass stout.

Appearance: Opaque of course, nice thick mocha-colored head. However, there wasn't much sticky lacing, which I expected (could be the glass). Also, the head dissipated quickly too (also could be the glass). Though I DID think the glass was clean. Still nice looking though, despite the absent trails of frothy goodness.

Smell: What I had hoped for. My thing with other chocolate stouts has (usually) been (though as my reviews show, some I still love) a beer that's too hoppy, or else not as balanced with creamy aromas of the many kinds of malts and sweeter ingredients. But this was totally creamy: dark and milky chocolate, real chocolate and chocolate malt mixing well, a sweet smell of powdered chocolate, slight coffee (though with cream and sugar, not bitter black coffee). Perfectly balanced and wonderful to get your nose in.

Taste: Chocolate insanity -- amazingly done. The coffee with cream and sugar aromas certainly come through, which adds an interesting twist to the powerful chocolate aromas. Not much hops flavor, though somehow it's handled without being too sweet or too overbearing. I don't see how a chocolate stout could get any better.

Mouthfeel: Silky, creamy, medium carbonation, not too thick of a body. Awesome.

Drinkability: I have to say, I wouldn't want this all the time. I would, however, like to try it with a dessert next time, as pairing this with many different things would probably make some amazing texture and flavor combinations. I'm going to get another one ASAP and save it again for another night, sipping for as long as possible.

07-25-2005 21:02:53 | More by asabreed
Px2GrafX

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

presentation: 22oz. bomber with rogue's typical graphics. screen printed white, red and brown. sebbie buhler holds up a stein of rogue chocolate stout while holding a piece of chocolate in her other hand. "made with imported chocolate" on front. ingredients are printed on the back of the bottle. "dedicated to sebbie buhler, a rogue original" on back. also, there's rogues interpretation of their own stout along with brewing specs, (gravity, temp., ibu's, etc)

appearance: pours opaque black with a dark tan almost brown pancake batter-like head. head is about 1 inch and drops to a capper after a few minutes. laces ok.

smell: huge chocolate aromas. some alcohol and sweet roasted caramelly sugars. mostly chocolate, but some earthy hops sneak in. sweet chocolate aromas while sipping almost wash over you.

taste: very chocolatey bready malts with a good bitter balance. roasted flavors as well as some dark fruits. maybe plums or black cherries. just bitter enough with some earthy hop flavors. finishes bittersweet chocolate and very dry and clean. aftertaste is lightly hoppy and again, bittersweet. alcohol becomes warming, but not apparent in flavor towards the end of the bomber.

mouthfeel: creamy and smooth medium body. good carbonation and nice swallow. crisp and clean with the dry finish. very nice mouthfeel, and i've given 5s for less.

drinkability: what do you have when a beer quenches it's own dry-bitter finish and aftertaste with an aromatic creamy-smooth dose of sweet chocolate? a viscious cycle that forced me to finish this bomber way too quickly.

overall: very, very nice. for so long, shakespeare stout was my favorite rogue brew, and it pained me to rate this slightly higher, but it's got the goods. right now, right this second, without having the shakespeare in a glass to compare, i'd say this is a hair better. i can only imagine what this would have rated with a chocolate dessert to pair this with.

edit (10.24.05): not so fast! did a vertical with the shakespeare and the chocolate stouts. these are both equally impressive in almost every way, but are slightly different. i just can't accurately say which i like better and which i'd rank higher. if i had a gun to my head, the shakespeare might have to get the nod.

09-27-2005 03:23:45 | More by Px2GrafX
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured pitch black with a fluffy light brown head. Head retention and lacing was phenominal. Head had the appearance of the skin that forms when you make instant pudding. Looked like some sort of dessert or tricked out coffee

Smell: Chocolate malt in the nose with slight hints of grain

Taste: Rich chocolate taste from the get go. Bitterness from baker's choclate? Slight dryness and nuttiness

MF: Slight chewyness and well carbonated

This beer works well by itself or paired with a number of desserts, yum

12-31-2005 04:37:20 | More by russpowell