Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,965 | Reviews: 1,891
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

POured into a pint from a 650 ml bottle. As always, the beers from Rogue give you this extra enjoyement with an awesome bottle design, the cult for the object arises. Great!

A: This is a very handsome beer, Negro Azabache (Jet Black). Big brown and creamy looking head with an awesome lacing. Magnificent.

S: A whole lot of chocolate up my nose, it gives the impression that this is going to be a very sweet beer, but...

T: Chocolate, roasted malts, cocoa beans and bread very nice blended with a great balanced hop bitterness. Finishes dry. Can't isolate the taste of alcohol but I can feel the buzz, nice!

M: Medium low carbonation, great body.

D: Very, very, very high.

This is a very big beer but subtle at the same time, Rogue's Chocolate Stout has the balance that I am used to from this awesome brewery. I'm just sad 'cause my pint is getting empty....damn it! Salud!

Poured into nonic pint.

Pours a nice two finger head and looks like a stout dream. When I take a big whiff of it i get a full nose of chocolate. There is no hiding it this is a true chocolate stout. Right off the bat you get hit with chocolate. Taste of mostly milk chocolate almost like a nice hot cocoa. There is a slight taste of coffee and a little hops. Feels nice in the mouth not to heavy like a lot of stouts. I could drink this one all night and will be picking up another one of these in the near future.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: A very dark stout with a beautiful brown head. The head was huge. It looked beautiful.

Smell: The aroma was mostly chocolate. A little bit of hops show through in the aroma.

Taste: The taste is very much like the aroma. Very chocolaty at first with hops that kick in to give it a little bitter to go against the sweetness. Very good.

Mouthfeel: Very rich and creamy. When too warm the carbonation is too much. However other than that it is great.

Overall this brew is great. It is soo very chocolatey. A very good beer and one that I will buy often.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Arguably I think most fans of chocolate stout would agree that this one is among the better ones. Coffee black color. Colossal head, very thick and textured, hang on until the end. Sweet chocolate aroma. Crisp roasted mat and chocolate flavors. Crisp and clean finish. A treat!

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Great go to chocolate stout. the new rebel hop really gives it a bitter finish that isn't quite as subtle as the discontinued 9 ingredient cascade hop version. I think the ibu on this new version is underrated but this stout is great being as it's not an imperial/double stout it has a slightly thin mouthful and a modest 6%abv but it makes up with chocolaty goodness from beginning to end.. I recommend this beer and I believe it shines as it warms as do most stouts I recommend a slight chill our pull it out of the fridge and let it sit and warm a bit I enjoy it from a balloon so it warms in my hand.. the slight complexity that is there can be easily missed if it's to cold and it will really mask the bitter chocolate taste...

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

One of the best beers period, in my opinion. A must try for any stout lover. It is pretty much true to its name, but I'll describe my thoughts of the brew anyway: This one pours thick, and is a black hole of a brew. A nice thin, light brown head caps it off. Smell is chocolate and roasty, and...oh yeah, chocolate. Taste is exceptional.....very chocolaty, perhaps slight hints of coffee...but mainly chocolate, and more chocolate! A thick and smooth mouthfeel, easy on the palate. This one is a little thick to drink too many, but that's a good thing in my book. Nonetheless, I usually limit myself to one of these at a 'sitting'..........a delicious brew.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Luscious head is dark brown, like the foam on a chocolate milkshake. Body is jet black, like a basement with the lights off. Spidery lacing is left all the way down. The nose is like ripping the lid off a packet of instant hot chocolate. Very inviting. Taste is big bitter chocolate, roasty malt, and a bit of sweet/sour. Mouth is nice and even. All I can say is, if you want chocolate, this is your beer. Wonderful.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer poured very dark with a light head. The smell of the beer was of a chocolate bar!! The flavor of this beer is amazing Rogue certainly hit the spot for this one! No skimping of ingridients on this beer! It is certainly not something you can drink all night but it certainly has great flavor and is a beer I will suggest to all my beer loving friends.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Pitch black color with a large creamy brown head. Smells rich with sweet chocolate, coffee malts, and a hint of bitter hops. The flavor is full of hints of burnt malts and bittersweet chocolate. Kind of like chocolate chips. A hint of bitter hops pull through. Full bodied and a creamy silky mouthfeel. Has a semi-dry bitter-sweet aftertaste. Damn, this is a good stout. One of the best flavored stouts I have ever had.

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%

This tasty treat poured a shade-and-a-half away from being jet-black with a sizeable, lightly tan head and a bit of retention. The head subsides but begins as exceptionally creamy. The smell is raisiny with very rich, dark chocolate moving to the front. Cocoa fills the nose. The taste is incredible, rich and smooth yet dark and a surprising (if you don't read the bottle) entrance of hops that get stronger on the finish. A bit smoky and a ton delicioius. Very creamy yet light in the mouth and perhaps the most drinkable stout I've had.

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Dark with a slight brown hue, rich. excellent lacing, excellent head

S: Smells faintly of dark chocolate and all spice.

T: When I think chocolate stout, this is what I want. An great balance between dark chocolate and malty beer flavors. It has a little coffee and almost a little burnt sugar taste too it, but not enough to throw off the chocolate/stout combo -instead it adds a bit of depth. Perfection

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth, rich, excellent

Overall: For it's style I can't think of any way this beer could be better so full marks. While not exactly inexpensive at $6.50 for 650ml it is worth every penny. If you love darker beers and/or chocolate you will love this beer. If you want a hoppy beer, look elsewhere -that isn't what this style or stouts in general are about. I'm going to have to add this to my list of favorite beers without a doubt.

Favorite beers (for comparison, after all taste preferences are subjective): Elysian's Daedalus Irish Stout, Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Allagash's White Ale, New Belgium's 1554, Full Sail's Wassail, etc. Beer styles I don't like: IPAs (with few exceptions)

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Pours opaque black with off brown/tan head that retains well.

Nose has a nougat-chocolate character that is very enticing.

On the palate the roasted malts, multi-chocolate flavours dominate, and hops are noticeable in the background to keep things from getting out of hand.

One of the most drinkable chocolate stouts I've ever had.

The chocolate components are truly some of the best around.

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Ordered from the Rogue Alehouse in San Francisco. Came in a standard 12oz "pint" glass.

A: Dark, dark, dark, with a surprisingly slight head.

S: Sweet, chocolate, and malts, with a little vanilla.

T: Boom! Tons of chocolate up front and at the end, with the malts coming in during the middle. Almost like a milkshake as opposed to a beer!

MF/D: Creamy texture, low carbonation, I personally found this to be EXTREMELY drinkable. I'd read in other reviews that this isn't a session beer, but I disagree, I had four of these before I knew what was going on (probably down to my wife helping herself every time my back was turned.) Excellent beer which I thoroughly enjoyed, so much so there's a growler of it sitting in my fridge. (Ooh, speaking of which...!)

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Bottle temperature when opened: ~ 60F. Slight hiss, no smoke. Poured into two 12oz American 'pint' glasses. There's a quick rise to a head of about 1 inch, which scales down to medium lace around the glass. Pitch black. Smells like sweet chocolates, and when inhaled a tick layer of hop aroma. The hops are there but not overpowering - well balanced behind the malt and chocolate.. my GF loved it, and she's not a fan of high hop beers. Sweet at first but leaves behind a slightly dry, coffee -with-hops like taste. Will get this again..

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Presentation - 22 oz. bomber bottle. Poured shiny black with a dark tan head. Excellent lacing, but that's nothing new for Rogue.

Smell - Sweet cocoa and dark chocolate are predominant. Oats enhance the rich sweetness of the smell

Mouthfeel - Heavy. Thick. Smooth. Very nice. Enough said.

Taste - The smell belies the taste of this beer. I was expecting sweetness along the lines of Young's Double Chocolate, but that isn't the case. The taste is sweet at first, but the dark, more bitter chocolates soon take over. Not that its a bad thing in any way. Coffee and hints of berry can be found. The hop presence is perfectly masked until the finish. Surprisingly dry and hoppy at the end, but that provides an excellent contrast to the sweeter and earthier flavors found towards the beginning. Taaaayyysty!

Drinkability - Strictly a one per night brew at the bomber size. Nevertheless, thoroughly drinkable throughout the bottle. The flavors never wear on you, and alcohol level is reasonably low.

Overall - The word of mouth has been spreading, and with good reason. This beer kicks ass. It takes a backseat to no chocolate stout (I'm looking at you, Brooklyn - you have been matched). The 22 oz. size gives you plenty of time to savor all this beer has to offer. I'm glad I bought two instead of just one! Rogue, why must you be all the way on the west coast???

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Splitting this bomber with a fellow beer champion...

Pours an opaque black with a thin khaki head that never quite disappears. First smell reveals creamy chocolate, but swirling the glass a little uncovers roasted grain, coffee, and even some lovely hops. Uber-smooth malts begin the flavor, with the creamy milk chocolate coming in pleasantly early. The sweet smooth chocolate sticks around, adding an extremely nice flavor to this stout. Roasted grain is there, along with a little fresh roasted coffee. Finish has a hint of citrous hops with also provide subtle spice. Long aftertaste keeps this hoppy chocolate wonder in my mouth long after swallowing. A truely exceptional brew from Rogue.

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Simply amazing, looks like chocolate syrup coming out of the bottle.
Has the darkest head I've ever poured - albeit somewhat uneven bubbles. Chocolate Mocha aroma, very nice. Thick creamy deep roasted flavor. A very moving moment. Hops asserts itself, beautifully balanced and deeply satisfying. This is what I'd hoped to experience with Rogue. Silky and velvety on the tongue and all the way down. Wish I owned a case or two. Extremely fine Brussels Lace. Rogue claims to use Imported Chocolate when making this brew and it must be said it is done with a restrained hand. It is the quintessential chocolate stout. A rare find.

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

A: Richly dark, with a short light brown head that lasts for a pretty good while.

S: Cho.Co.Late. Really, it smells of cocoa powder, or the sugar free mocha syrup that we use at work (Starbucks). A very slight twang of the alcohol as well.

T: Wonderful dessert chocolate flavor, but not very sweet. A roasted flavor is present, and there's a tartness from the malt and alcohol that reminds of the kind of tart berries that pair well with chocolate.

M: Not too terribly thick, but the roasted chocolate flavor stays in the mouth for a good period of time. The tartness of the alcohol and oh-so-slight hops bitterness finish.

D: It's a really "fun" beer to drink. As has been recommended on the site before, it would do very well as a lone-standing dessert or paired with a chocolate-based dessert. I'll enjoy going back for it again and again.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Rogue chocolate stout, the quintessential dessert beer. This is a 2 year old sample, which has a little surprisingly aged reallly well.

Perfect appearance. Almost black, great tan foam that sticks around forever and coats the glass. The smell is domineering chocolate. The taste...wow it's almost too chocolatey to be a beer. You could confuse it for some sort of chocolate liqueur until the roasted malt kicks in gently to balance the chocolate taste. There is also some molasses sweetness hiding underneath it all, which in my opinion really completes this brew. That's all I get here, but the interplay is done to perfection. The finish is mildly bitter and dry from the chocolate and the acidity of the malt. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and thick for a beer of this ABV - definitely is only hurt by the decadence of it all. This is amazing.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

A: Very dark appearance, almost jet black with a brownish hue. Love the color.

S: In short, a great chocolate smell with dark malt and hops. Some nutty molasses in there as well.

T: I was a little skeptical of a chocolate Beer but Surprisingly it was blended well. You taste the chocolate mostly when it first hits your tongue and on the aftertaste. I like how you can taste the chocolate but it doesn't overpower it at all. Great brewing if you ask me. An awesome winter Beer to be savored.

M: Wow, I was surprised on how smooth this Beer was. Phenomenal texture, so creamy. I think the chocolate really comes through on the mouthfeel.

D: I could drink a lot of this, I don't want to put it down.

I highly recommend this beer if you are a fan of dark beers, it really is liquid gold. Awesome Beer.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Tasted this last night with a friend (converted from shyte beer to a BA)..

Black as molasses in appearance. Chocolate is evident on the nose, with a profoundly charming malt presence. The taste is complex; I got coffee at first, then malt with a touch of hoppy character with a velvety smooth, embracing mouthfeel. Then, just as you start to swallow, and for a fleeting moment, the delightful taste of chocolate truffle.

Truly a masterpiece of the brewer's art. A fantastic dessert beer, but seeing that I'm a BA and a choc-a-holic, I could drink this delightful concoction any time, anywhere..

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

This is the only other chocolate stout I put in the same category with Young's Double Chocolate Stout as the best chocolate stouts available. Pure drinking delight and in a way almost too seductive in nature. Heavy mouthfeel that's light on carbonation and overflowing with a rich, dark chocolate flavor. Not too bitter with a strict stout aftertaste. I'd say the Rogue Chocolate Stout offering is slightly sweeter than Young's which is the only thing I feel sets these two apart. All in all a great stout and one that I anticipate drinking again (next time I hit the Brewhaus!)

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

I am just wrapping up tasting about a dozen of Rogue's beer and this along with the Imperial Stout, Shakespeare Stout, and I2PA are the cream of the crop...

For a chocolate stout the nose is surprisingly devoid of huge cocoa characteristics..more of a nestle quick milk chocolate nose, but also a huge breeze of fresh hops..and a hint of herbal/leather/earthy notes...it looks like I'd expect it to look dark black with a tinge of ruby red on the lace...Mouthfeel is about perfect...creamy...smooth..maybe a tich thin, but for this kind of stout it is probably right on the button...

I think the taste is exceptional...sweet milk chocolate but not overdone...also a nice herbal/leathery hop finsih that adds a real nice characteristic to this beer....

This isn't perfect but it is very close...I still like Youngs a tad better personally but this might be a better made beer...Young's has a bigger chocolate flavor and has very little hop bite...this is more complex and should be a must try for Beer Coniseurs around the globe...

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

oh man is this a killer! blacker than black in color, thick and rich, with a big dark tan head that stays forever. piney hops on top of chocolate in the nose. tastes of bitter and sweet chocolate with the usual cascade hop finish. the body of this brew is awesome...bold and heavy, yet silky smooth. how a beer can be so bitter yet oh so smooth is baffling. i'm having a hard time coming up with the right words to accurately describe this brew. so 'absolutely delicious' will have to do. a chocolate lover's delight!

4.79/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer blew me away from what I was expecting, namely after having had the Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

This was a totally different kind of beer than Young's. The smell is of sweet powdery chocolate. The taste is of liquified sweet chocolate. IBU's register at 69 but this thing actually felt like maybe 10, this one is pretty mellow. This would be the beer I'd put a scoop of ice cream in if I ever wanted a beer float.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales