Join our email list →

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,892 | Hads: 4,086
4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

22 ounce bomber poured into a Unibroue tulip. Beige head one finger thick is imploding from within as if its the surface of some other planet, yet to be discovered. Body is black as the night itself. Aroma is chocolate, or more accurately as the bottle describes...chocolate truffle. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. I would estimate that this bottle is one year old by the amount of yeast sediment/buildup at the bottom of the bottle...the perfect age for this slow to attenuate chocolate stout. Taste is creamy and smooth with some mild hops and mild alcohol heat. Some coffee notes, but mainly just chocolaty greatness. This is the best chocolate stout on Earth.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

I didn't pour it, I just drank it from a bomber during a gig my band and I were playing. First off, I'm going to assume it looked fantastic like most rogue beers. What I can attest to is the taste and the feel. There's no shortage of chocolate in this bad boy. Some bitter sweet notes of chocolate, even coffee, and roasted malts. The feel is nice and smooth which is typical of stouts since they have less carbonation. As the beer warmed (since I drank it between songs) the chocolate became even more pronounced and the feel also became smoother. Honestly this is by far one of the greatest beers I've had in my life. I'm a sucker for rogue beers and this one is way way up the list.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured into snifter from a 22 ounce bomber.

A: Dark black in color. Nice thick light brown foamy head. Looks great. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass as I drink it.

S: Malty Chocolate smell. Smells delicious.

T: First taste is burnt malt. The finish is bitter with a sweet Chocolate aftertaste.

M: Smooth and creamy. Medium body.

D: A very drinkable stout. I will have plenty of these stocked in my fridge for the fall. Goes great with the Milk Duds I am eating.

This is my favorite beer from Rogue out of all of them I tried. Much better then the Mocha porter that they offer.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

This brew pours a an opaque black with a nice size rich creamy head that last a little awhile and leaves a nice silky sexy lace in its tracks. The sweet smell of chocolate milk fill my nose and bring me back to when I was a child. THis is making me want that little nestle quik rabbit. The aroma of roated malts also fill the nose.

The first sip is very rewarding, the chocolate is wonderful and the toasted malts are very flavorful. The hop flavor is low but that is ok, it doesn't make a difference.

This is a kick ass beer from a kick brewery.

Cheers

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

Served in a snifter, poured from a bomber.

Appearance – Dark brown, almost black. Faint amounts of light penetrated only the very edges. Poured straight into the middle of the snifter. Thick tan head formed quickly and faded slowly to just the edges. Very minimal lacing.

Smell – Big hints of chocolate, slight roasted malt and very minute hop aroma. It almost smells like toll house chocolate chips.

Taste – Nice roasty flavor up front. Big chocolate notes in the middle and finish. The roasted malt blends perfectly with the chocolate. Slight residual sweetness, but overall it is reminiscent of semi-sweet chocolate. At the very end a slight toffee flavor finishes the sip off.

Mouthfeel – Creamy. Lends a nice character to the beer, almost like drinking dark chocolate milk... But better.

Overall –An almost perfect example. Perfectly balanced. A little more head retention would make it perfect. Rouge has done yet to make a beer that I can't appreciate. It's apparent to me as a home brewer that they spend a lot of time on recipe formulation before releasing a beer. This is my second time having this beer and my tasting notes are almost identical (glassware was different).

Serving type: 22 oz bottle

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is, hands down, the best chocolate stout I've had the pleasure of trying to date. I keep searching for something equal or better tasting, as I don't see it often up in Maine, but alas... to no avail! This beer has just the most perfect blend of true chocolate flavor... not too sweet. It's like desert in a bottle for me!

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

If you like chocolate, you oughta love this stuff. If you don't, you... you're wierd. The pour is dark, dark brown with a fluffy tan head. Milk chocolate fills the nose like chocolate milk. Burnt and roasted malts join the chocolate in the taste to remind you that you're drinking a stout. If you let the beer sit on your tounge for a moment it becomes velvety smooth and soooo creamy. Another plus is that this is the only sweet stout I've had that doesn't become sickeningly rich by the end. This one's totally worth Rogue's high price.

Chocolate!

Beer pours black as night topped with a creamy smooth, dessert-like tan head. Big time chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt aromas exploding out of the beer. Later on, the aroma reminded me more of a really nice chocolate milkshake. The flavor meets the expectation groundwork laid down by the aroma and appearance. CHOCOLATE! That's what this beer is all about. Dessert malt, coffee, and chocolate flavors with a great mouthfeel to boot. This isn't an overly sweet beer either, but nicely balanced. Next time I'm going to bust out some strawberries with this beer for an experiment in decadence.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a black brew, with tan massive chunky head - could float a bottle cap on it. Very nice looking brew. Nice sticky lace.

Smells awesome - chocolate, roasted; oats, barley, hops damn good smelling brew.

Brew taste very smooth, very complex and balanced. You get the roasted flavors, the chocolate, slightly bitter aftertaste.

This brew is a true treat to the palate, a superb stout that could go great after dinner. But hell why not make a session of it - I sure would. Superb.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

This is a phenomenal chocolate stout. Had one last night and accidentally spilled some on the rug. The stain looks like black ink.

Pours pitch black with a thick, foamy, dark head that doesn't stick around for a long time.
Smells spicy with chocolate and dark grain.
Taste is full bodied with hint of chocolate and well roasted, almost burnt, grain with a very nice finish.
Very silky and creamy mouthfeel with medium carbonation.
Highly drinkable for a heavy, full bodied stout.

This is an awesome stout. This is a tasty adult treat like chocolate milk was when I was a kid. I highly recommend it. Mmm...I want another.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Black, with a huge, dark brown, creamy head that sticks around to the very end. Nice aroma of slightly bitter dark chocolate, with a hint of hops as the brew warms. Flavor is just heavenly. This is the most authentic chocolate flavor I've ever encountered in a beer, and it doesn't stop there. Taste develops into a nice understated roasted malt, and finishes with just enough hops to let you know you're still drinking a beer. Finish has a nice mixture of bitterness from three different sources: the grains, the chocolate, and the hops. Really pleasant. Sweet, full-bodied with a decadently creamy mouthfeel. A truly outstanding beer.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is a a dark opaque black with a huge light brown/tan head that slowly settles and has great retention. Nice sticky lacing.

Smell is quite potent with rich milk chocolate and cocoa as well.

Taste is a wonderful! Now this is what I want to taste in a beer with the word chocolate on the label. A combination of sweet milk chocolate and a nice roasted dark chocolate malt bitterness towards the end. This is just about chocolate desert in liquid form to me. Very rich and pleasant!

Mouthfeel is full bodied, nice and smooth. Cream with a mild amount of carbonation. Feels very nice on the tongue.

Drinakability in a word, fantastic! This is by far one of the best stouts I've ever had. It goes down very nicely and leaves me wanting to grab another bottle. I could drink this all night and if it were in six pack from, an instant session beer for me.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

A - As the beer pours into the glass from the 22 oz bottle, it forms a nice dark brown head very rapidly. The beer itself is pitch black in color, and as you sip this beer, it leaves a very nice lacing behind in the glass. This is one of the best looking beers Ive ever seen.

S - I am getting a slightly roasted smell, followed by the chocolate. Overall it smells very good, theres not a huge chocolate aroma like I was expecting but the chocolate is definitely present.

T - Wow, this beer has a VERY nice chocolate taste, but not in a gimmicky way, like some of the other chocolate stouts Ive had. When I think of A chocolate stout this is how I picture it tasting. Besides the chocolate taste, it also has a roasted quality to it, plus a tasty hop bitterness at the end. The chocolate flavor is great, but more importantly its balanced perfectly with the hop bitterness, and roasted flavors.

M - This beer has a very thick mouth feel, and it goes down nice and smooth. I enjoy beers that tend to have a nice full body like this one.

D - Personally I think the beer is highly drinkable, just because it taste so great. It may have a full body, and be a dessert beer, but I can see myself drinking 4 of these bottles in one sitting. Sure I would probably pass out in a drunken mess, and have nightmares of chocolate bars with arms and legs, beating my ass with Rogue Chocolate Stout bottles, but in the end its all worth it for the delicious choc-a-riffic taste.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured a great opaque color with a wonderful tan head and excellent lacing. It has a very nice scent. a bit of burnt grains with a hint of chocolate. Outstanding taste! A great stout, with burnt grains and coffee flavoring, along wiht an absolutely wonderful dark chocolate taste. It's creamy and goes down great. One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Poured from the 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is black. when held to a light it's still black. The pour produces a large, foamy, brown head nearly two inches thick. The head never really dies, falling to a solid cover on the liquid leaving lots of lace. One of the prettier beers I have seen, it also helps that I like the "dark" beers and go for the black look.

Smell: What else would you expect from a chocolate stout but lots of chocolate and roasted malts aromas. Some decent hops aromas are buried within as well.

Taste: What can I say but this beer suits me. I like'em big and malty with planty of roasted malts and a touch of hop bitterness on the finish. This beer delivers. Not sweet at all, (I would even say it is a bit bitter) with just enough chocolate flavors but not overbearing. A great stout.

Mouthfeel: Rich, smooth and creamy. Full bodied , a touch chewy. Limited alchohol, if it wasn;t so filling this could be a decent sessioner because it is so good.

Drinkability: This is one of the best beers I have ever had. The End. What more does there need to be said? Close to a perfect 5, IMO.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

This is my new favorite beer, period. I absolutely love everything about it, it is a perfect chocolate stout. I usually favor high IBU India Pale Ales, specifically double IPAs. This beer has single handedly broadened my horizons and become my new favorite. Om Kali Ma

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

[Appearance]: Jet black color, beautiful creamy head, lacing looks awesome on the glass.
[Smell]: Milk chocolate in the nose, roasted malts, touch of coffee.
[Taste]: Milk chocolate up front, roasted malts, some little coffee, dash of nutty, finish off nice bitterness from the hops.
[Mouthfeel]: Very creamy mouthfeel, full-bodied, light on the carbonation, very smooth.
[Drinkability]: Very drinkable.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

What a truly exceptional stout. My 1st chocolate-infused beer and I am blown away

A- Poured vigorously for an amazing 4-finger frothy, cascading, latte-colored head that leaves lacing all over the glass. Deep opaque black.

S- Smells like chocolate liquor mixed with the traditional malted barley and hops of a beer.

T- Taste is unbelievably chocolate. The sugary taste of the chocolate greatly compliments the sweet malts and the bitter taste compliments the spicy hops

M- Feels like a watery hot-chocolate mix. Medium-heavy body and silky carbonation

D- I could drink this for as long as my sweet tooth is awake and then some just for kicks. The bittersweet aftertaste makes you want more after every sip.

WHOA!!!

CHOCOLATE STOUT

This is absolutely outstanding...
I didnt know chocolate stout could actually taste so much like actual chocolate.

Pair this with some chocolate ice cream. I dare ya!!! Thats what i have done and i am astounded.

Smell was a bit faint but the rich chocolate flavor and the drinkablity wow ...mouth feel was just right as well...Nice dark rich color
I should have got 2 of these...

Excellent work....

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Poured from a 22 into a pint. I like the Rogue bottles, kind of a rotoscope approach. Unique styling. As far as the beer itself, stouts are harder to review in this department. What can I say, it’s pitch black. A light brown head that forms and dies within a few minutes. Pitch black.

S: Wow. This is definitely a chocolate stout! Not just chocolate hints, this one smells just like a fresh chocolate candy bar. A syrupy cocoa. There were definitely some heavy adjuncts used here, but that’s not exactly a secret, and it'd be impossible to get this level of chocolate out of pure malt anyway. Very, very nice. Now I know what chocolate really smells like. I would give it a 6 if I could.

T: Nice and sweet. Rich and creamy with a dark milk-chocolate flavor and subtle hints of deep roasted espresso. Some cream, wheat, and delicate mint.

M: Excellent. Full body without being totally syrupy; a delicate mix of water, sweetness, and carbonation.

D: This is an extremely drinkable stout. I’ve always liked Young’s Double-Chocolate, but this one blows it out of the water. This is how a chocolate stout should taste. Simple, chocolate, and an appropriate, modest, stout mouthfeel. This beer is really a delight.

22oz. bomber

Pours a jet black color with a dark chocolate head that fades. Spotty lacing around the glass.

Smells like hot chocloate....Hot chocolate made from dark chocolate....Mmmm....

Taste is amazing. A rich dark chocloate taste unlike any chocolate stout I've ever tasted. It's a bit on the bitter side, and there are hints of malt - but it's all about the chocolate!

Nice carbonation, boisterous body.

Insanely easy to drink, has been a favorite for many years. I'm glad I finally found a place to get it regularly.

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

oh my god...this chocolate stout is the best that i have ever had. ok from the get go...the pour- very good, dark, nice milk chocolate head.
nose- this is where i fell in love. the smell of chocolate ovaltine is f'ing DELICIOUS!
mouthfeel- nice carbonation, extremely smooth
taste- as i review this i am thinking to myself...i am so upset that i only have 1 bomber of this and will be finishing it shortly. this beer is delicious. you can taste the chocolate right away, but it's not too overwhelming. you still have the maltiness of the stout to remind you "this is still a tough beer". not a covered up chocolate piece of crap.
one of my favorite stouts EVER...

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

Rogue Chipotle Ale with a silk screened smiling woman on the 22 oz. brown bomber bottle. This one was poured into a standard pint glass.

The beer poured black with short tan head that left thin, fine lacing down the side of the glass. The beer smelled - literally - like some hot chocolate or cocoa. The flavor was chocolate followed by an immense roasted malt character and a lingering coffee after taste. Absolutely spectacular. This beer is a true pleasure and an absolute delight. It's incredibly drinkable, and - even though a flavored or "chocolate stout" - one of the best american stouts I have ever tried.

Note: Ran to the kitchen to grab a few pieces of dark chocolate as a I finished this fine Rogue product.

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

Darkest mahogany. I would call it ebony but I get the sense that there's a reddish tint when the glass is held up to bright sunlight. The generous head is toasted cocoa brown in color, tight-bubbled and semi-firm. It looks like it might be an impressive lacer, but despite maintaining a thick creamy disk, there isn't a lot of glass coverage. A short collar and a few small scraps is it.

There's an undercurrent of dark, roasted malt and citric hops, but the nose is dominated by an enticing, liqueur-like, bittersweet chocolatiness. It smells like an entire bottle of Hershey's syrup was added to the bomber. This is, without question, the most chocolatey nose of any beer that I've ever had. Wow, a beer milkshake!

My impressions after tasting are nearly identical to my impressions after smelling. Sure, you have your roasted black malt and your trademark Rogue hoppiness (Cascade in this case), but man oh man, the sweet, silky, liquid chocolate goodness is exploding over my tongue and is lingering seemingly forever.

The carbonation is under the radar stealthy, which only improves the smooth, impossibly creamy texture. It isn't full and chewy like an Imperial stout, but it really doesn't need to be for maximum enjoyability. This is one amazing beer.

When I saw that Rogue added natural chocolate flavoring (the front of the silk-screened bottle says "made with imported chocolate") I was all set to put on my beer snob hat, invoke purity laws and say things like 'why couldn't they make it taste like chocolate using only roasted malt, etc.' That was before I tasted it.

I don't care what they added to make it taste this delicious, I just hope they keep on brewing it. If ever there was a chocolate beershake, this is it. If that strikes some as heresy then I'll gladly consume their share. Rogue Chocolate Stout is, in my opinion, the definitive chocolate stout and the one by which all others will now be measured. Tremendous stuff!

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Dark black/brown pour with an outstanding brown head.

Chocolate dominates the nose with a dollop of vanilla as well.

Roast flavors on the tip of the tongue blend into a rich cocoa flavor midtongue. Ends with a heavy bitter roast/hoppiness on the back and sides of the tongue.

Rich and full bodied, this beer is an incredible drinkable fantastic treat.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales