Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,874 | Hads: 3,978
2.75/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pitch black color with a 2 finger tan foamy head with good retention. Smells of chocolate and cocoa. The taste is chocolate, cocoa, and some burnt bitterness. Not as much sweet chocolate as the smell would suggest. More roasted malt flavor comes forward.

The mouthfeel is thinner than I expected, and there is quite a bit of carbonation. The mouthfeel is the weakest part of the beer. (385 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

bomber shared with my gf. snifter.

a - pours a deep dark brown with a thin cap of sudsy, tan foam. head calms slowly, leaving thick rings of lacing in the glass.

s - cocoa powder, sourdough bread, grassy hops.

t - cocoa powder with an herbal bitterness that totally dominates the flavor profile. has an off putting chemical aftertaste that gets really nasty as the beer warms, i'm assuming from the added flavoring.

m - full bodied with lots of carbonation. finer co2 profile.

o - meh. would be enjoyable if it weren't for the weird chemical flavors. one of the few beers i have ever drainpoured. probably won't be buying anything from rogue again. (654 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a midnight black with a nice creamy mocha head. Very nice lacing that lingered as I drank it down.

Smell is pure chocolate, rather heavenly, but nothing else.

Taste is overpowering chocolate and some maltiness. Way too much chocolate in this for me. I do love chocolate stouts (Youngs & Brooklyn my favorites), but this one is like drinking a chocolate malt, doesn't taste like a beer.

I split a bomber with my friend & we both could barely finish our half, not very drinkable.

A rather disappointing chocolate stout from Rogue (538 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

650ml bottle 6,0% Abv.
Served chilled and split between a snifter and a wine glass.
No Bottle date.

Appearance: Rogue Chocolate stout appears pitch black in the glass , with a strong backlight only revealing a little deep red along the edges of the glass (this stuff is pretty dark for the Abv.). A standard pour yields a massive dark tan coloured head. The head displays fantastic retention and leaves beautiful rings of lacing clinging to the glass as it slowly recedes.

Smell: Given all the great reviews, the nose is actually quite disappointing. There is a fair amount of chocolate, but it seems somewhat fake and more like chocolate flavour than actual chocolate. Other notes include: Oats, toasted malt and some creamy caramel.

Taste: As with the nose the flavour is rather disappointing. There isn't a ton of flavour and the beer comes across as somewhat watery. There is a fair amount of (fake) chocolate flavour, some roasted malt, a toasty character and a pleasant bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Blegh, this doesn't work at all, the body is thin and watery. The carbonation is okayish at a medium-high level but it is a little harsh.

Overall: Another shitty beer from Rogue, I can't see I'll be buying anything more from these guys. (1,275 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -32.3%

I was really excited to try this beer. It came in a huge 22 oz. bottle and I got a huge 16 oz glass with it.

A: Dark black, with a great, foamy, tan head. The head lasted a bit, and it lingered on the sides of the glass as I drank it.

S: Beer had the strongest chocolate smell. Really, it smelled like a chocolate bar! I was so excited to drink it after smelling it, so I was so disappointed when...

T:...the taste was overwhelmingly bitter. It was so bitter that I couldn't taste any sweetness at all. I let it warm up a bit and ate some pizza to try and tease out some flavors, but got nothing. All I could taste was bitter, bitter, and more bitter aftertaste lingering on my tongue, so that I didn't even look with delight to the next sip. All I kept thinking was, "well, I gotta finish the beer."

M: It's smooth, like Guinness, and almost as thick and heavy as a Gunness. It wasn't heavily carbonated at all.

D: The bitter aftertaste was just too much for me. I finished the bottle only because I hate to waste beer. I've tasted great chocolate stouts, and I wouldn't reccomend this to anyone. The only reason it has a good grade at all is because it looks and smells really good. (1,192 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -32.1%

Presentation: 650ml bottle into a large mug.

A- Deep brown/black, completely opaque in appearance. Pours with massive brown/tan head, which fades slowly to but a thin coating, leaving heavy lacing.

S- Chocolate syrup odor wafts up, and grassy hoppiness there if I bury my nose deep.

T- Starts off bland with a burnt coffee finish. I was too impatient, perhaps, and needed to let it warm. As it warms, vague hints of chocolate appear (still less prominent than expected), and the coffee finish mellows substantially. Still disappointed.

M- Medium/light....thinner than I had hoped.

D- Eh....ok. Not too heavy, but I can't imagine even a fan wanting more than this bomber worth.

Future outlook: Disappointed in this one. Doubtful that I will revisit it anytime soon. (772 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured from a bomber into a wide mouth wine glass

A: Dark brown/Black. No lacing. Very thin head that dissipates as the beer sits.

S: Great smelling stout. Dark chocolate, cola, vanilla bean.

T: Flat. Could use more carbonation. Nice mellow chocolate up front and at finish.

M: Very light for a stout. Not much staying power

D: Easy to drink because there is not a lot going on. (386 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. No dating info. It was black in color with slight carb but tons of lacing. It had a very large brown head that very, very slowly settled into a thick constant foam.

The aroma was very weak. I'm battling spring allergies so even had the wife take a sniff. We both had to really swirl the glass and then breath deep to get much. What was there was good. Cocoa and coffee mainly with some milk chocolate in the back. The taste was very disappointing. Chalky with a very bitter middle and end. I like bitter but this seemed out of place and the wrong bitter if that makes sense. Also getting a lot of watery taste as well. Normally, I'd chalk this up to a bad bottle but I tried this about 6 months ago and it tasted exactly the same. I didn't review it then because I thought it was a bad bottle but now I think that it's just the way it is. I really wanted to like this one as I love the style and it's readily accessible but really didn't enjoy. After half a bottle it really became a chore to finish.

Overall, a disappointment - see above for why. Could I possibly have had 2 bad bottles? Seems unlikely but I'm way off from other reviewers that normally I find a lot in common with. Since it's Rogue, I'll give it one more chance down the road. Unless dramatic improvement, one and done. (1,335 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured from a 650 ML bottle into a brandy snifter, this beer presented itself well. A deep dark burnt umber with a very decent mocha colored head that to some degree lingered to the end. Aroma of chocolate...period. The smell was pure chocolate and lacked the other nuances of a typically well done chocolate stout. Stir in a spoonful of dark coco into your next porter or stout and you'll get the idea. The taste was, frankly, disappointing. An unpleasant bitterness lingered after each sip. Once you get past the chocolate, you're kind of drinking a Guinness with a little more body. Whether this bitterness comes from bakers chocolate or a big shot of hops...or both, I couldn't tell. But to my palate, this stuff is unpleasant. The bitter aftertaste lasts until you brush your teeth. From previous reviews, I expected better. I'll take a Young's Double Chocolate, thank you. (878 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- When poured into a glass it has a very nice dark brown head that stays around a while. The color of the beer is dark brown with a hint of translucense.

S- Very strong burnt smell too it. Almost too much. Drowns out most of the other flavoring to it.

T- Again, very strong burnt taste to it. I can taste some of the chocolate and other flavors to it. Unfortunately the overpowering taste is the burnt coffee. Burnt is the correct word too because the taste is more than just roasted coffee. If the burnt flavor is toned down this could be a good beer.

M- Good mouthfeel, little light for my taste but is still a medium body.

D- This wasn't an enjoyable beer. The burnt coffee dominated every aspect of this beer and not in a pleasant way. Something a little more subtle is more to my liking. (797 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -29.2%

Bomber poured into a Samuel Smith's pint glass.

A - slightly aggressive pour at first yields a huge, tan colored head. this beer with only the faintest reddish hue on the edges when held up to a bright light. head slowly dissipates over a few minutes, clinging to the side of the glass. the high point of this beer.

S - if you've ever burned brownies or hershey bars on the stove, this is the scent. offset slightly by a bit of toasted malt, very faint toffee and coffee. tried my hardest to detect any hint of alcohol in the nose but to no avail.

T - more slightly burnt chocolate. initial sweetness is balanced pretty well by the malts, and then a bit of hop bitterness at the back of the tongue...and there's the alcohol! aftertaste is more of the same, and lingers for quite awhile. as it warms, the coffee notes become a little more prevalent.

M - pretty strong carbonation, a bit too much. leaves behind a chalky kind of texture on the tongue, and the taste (though not bad) just refuses to go away. wished this was a little creamier.

D - though not really heavy, i'm half-struggling to finish all 22oz on my own. kind of tasty, but every few minutes i find myself taking another sip just to fight the overly chalky aftertaste.

Notes: i've had this beer numerous times, and can see myself being in the mood for it in the future, although not too often. wish this was a bit thicker, a little sweeter with a little less "burnt" taste, and in a smaller bottle.

-my first formal review on BA. was planning on doing it with a "better" beer, but figured I would just jump in tonight. cheers! (1,598 characters)

Bomber to pint glass

Had a LONG week of work and couldn't wait to drink this for the first time.

A - Cracked it open and poured (with a slightly heavy wrist) into my pint glass. Looks good. DARK brown - almost black - even in the light. Not much head (1/3 inch even with the slightly agitated pour) but a nice tan color.

S - Maltiness... Chocolate.... Nuttiness... Coffee? In that order. hmmmm, let's see how it performs

T - I left a little dinner on my plate, skipped desert, and passed on sweats all day for this?!? Where's the chocolate? I taste an average-stout, with average maltiness, and some hints of chocolate and nuts. A little too hoppy.

M - Oily / watery stout. Slightly under-carbonated. Not exactly pleasing to the palate.

Look, I understand the paradigm that chocolate stouts should not be over-chocolatey, however, this is will be a disappointment to anyone looking for an even-slightly sweet treat. It was drinkable, but boring. According to the website, this stout is:

"Ebony in color with a rich creamy head. The mellow flavor of oats, chocolate malts and real chocolate are balanced perfectly with the right amount of hops for a bitter-sweet finish."

-Color was ebony, but the creamy head was not.
-Oats? No.
-Chocolate malts and real chocolate? Meh, malts and a hint of chocolate.
-Too much hops making the beer more bitter than sweet. (1,365 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -29.2%

I had a pint of this while visiting Kclingers. THe beer comes in a pint glas and there is a thin creamy tan head floating on the surface. The color of the beer is drak brown with no lite passing through when held up. The aroma is rich and chocolatey, no surprise there. The chocolate is actually fairly sweet like cocoa powder of a hershey bar. First sip reveals a fairly thick body and very mild carbonation. Nice and smooth beer. Then the flavor, things go down a little here IMO. The beer is very sweet chocolate flavored like eating a candy bar over and over. By about mid pint it gets to be very cloying and not very enjoyable. Maybe with some fruit or vanilla ice cream but with a dinner it is just too much sweet chocolate. Of course if you really dig that this is for you. I am turned off by the overdose of chocolate and wish it was some more roasted notes or coffee to balance the sweetness. (901 characters)

Appearance: it looks a stout though a non-descript one.
Smell: chocolate (duh). Not bad but nothing like I was expecting.
Taste: again, chocolate and enjoyable but nothing outstanding IMO.
Based on rep I thought this one would drink like a chocolate shake so to speak. Full disclosure, after kbs and to a lessor degree southern tiers chokolat, maybe I'm ruined. Still with less alcohol I anticipated a quaffer. A tasty stout but no standout IMO. (446 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a cola brown that collects into a black body with hints of red. Deep tan head that never really goes away, throwing some lacing up the sides of the glass.

S- Strong. Big wafts of chocolate. It smells like a tootsie roll.

T- Less chocolate that I expected. Mostly roasty and charred. Some earthiness towards the end followed by some hops.

M- Thinner than I had hoped. Fluffy carbonation. Smooth

D- This is an alright beer. Nothing awful but I dont think I'll have it again. (486 characters)

I did not enjoy this beer. Purchased in bomber form, the beer poured nicely, but my hopes began to wane when I sniffed it. Too much chocolate. The chocolate nose reminded me of chocolate syrup for lattes, which is never as good as Hershey's syrup--which isn't very good. The taste was more offensive--like someone dumped a bunch of flavoring into what could have been a good beer. Well, someone did. Although I did not like the strength of the chocolate, it was the synthetic characteristic that I couldn't get past. (516 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -28%

Appearance - A huge fistful of head that exploded over the mug and out onto the floor. A rich chocolate frothy lump on top. Decent lacing.

Smell - Only chocolate and malt.

Taste - A cola-like chocolate that seemed slightly skunked. A more bitter chocolate. It honestly didn't taste all too different from the Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock I had earlier today.

Mouthfeel - A smooth and tasty coffee flavor. Remains a bit skunked. Perhaps I got an older bottle.

Drinkability - Easily drinkable and a little watery. I don't see anything too special in this stout.

Verdict - I personally couldn't find what was so special about this stout. One of the less impressive chocolate stouts I've had. As I said, perhaps my bottle was a little old. (739 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Hate to defend from the brothers. I'm disappointed. Mouthfeel thin chocolate faint and bitterness dominates finish. I love everything Oregon but this not up to snuff (167 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -27.3%

Appearance: onyx-black, medium layer of tan foam with OK retention at first, then just a thin film

Aroma: coffee, chocolate liqueur, faint malts, vanilla, a very subdued aroma that slowly stacks up and becomes a little more substantial

Flavor: midly sweet then lots of roast then a hop bitterness takes charge for a second or two before oat-stout sweetness appears, faint chocolate notes, finishes semi-sweet with chicory and dark chocolate truffle in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, terse carbonation, alcohol warmth, a bit astringent

Other comments: The aroma is surprisingly subdued. You really have to hunt for it at first. After a while it seems a little more present, but you'd think there would be more to it. A decent stout. I wonder what the "natural chocolate flavoring" is.

This bottle was courtesy of frank4sail, who brought it (amongst many others) to Belgium for me. I shared it with Belgianbeers during an "American Craft-brew" tasting the other night. (994 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a nice dark black with a mocha creamy head. It has some beautiful lacing as well as I let the the head dissipate.

Right off the bat I get some roasted maltiness in the nose. Dry cocoa powder and crusty bread as well. The more I smell it, for lack of a better description, it reminds me of when you first enter an old attic. Kind of musty and stale, but not necessarily bad.

The taste is nothing of what I expected. Right up front it threw me off with a chalky, dry cocoa taste. I guess after reading the bottle it makes sense but I get very earthy grains as well. I do not get a lot in the middle but I get bitterness in the finish as well as some burnt coffee grounds which I always enjoy.

This beer is thin without a ton of body. I might be biased as I have been drinking mostly bigger, imperial stouts lately with a lot more viscosity.

Over all this is an interesting beer that surprised me. I am glad I tried it but I was expecting a bit more. (958 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -27.3%

I was not greatly impressed with this beer. It certainly looked the part of a sweet stout, but the flavor and mouthfeel were very reminiscent of Yoohoo chocolate drink to me...which is to say chocolate-y (in a way) yet a bit thin and watery.

This beer certainly looks the part of a top-notch stout; it was black and opaque, although not particularly viscous. Head formation was creamy and sturdy. Aroma was chocolate-y and coffee-ish, but not overpowering. Flavor was as I said, very reminiscent of Yoohoo. Mouthfeel was a bit thin.

I’d weakly recommend this beer.

I picked up this 22oz bottle from Gary’s Liquor in Oak Creek, WI. (635 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -27.3%

This was on nitro-tap. What the hell was my favorite beer bar thinking? Talk about almost ruining a great beer. This isn't Guiness so don't make the mistake of treating it like Guiness.

Appearance - dark as a no-star night in Maine. So dark you can't find your way through the forest.

Smell - I swear nitro-refrigeration affects the aroma, even if it's only in my mind. Overly cooled brew, no hints of chocolate, cara, or coffee. No hop aroma (not surpising). Just a little bit of bland malty aroma.

Taste - A touch of chocolate. My guess is that due to the nitro-pour, no way this brew was ever going to warm up to a decent temp and consistency in my life time. Bottled is way better. Hops, however light, seemed murdered by the nitro.

Mouthfeel - a little thin

Drinkability - just okay, didn't get a second, which is unusual. Too cold, too bland. (865 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -26.8%

From notes

A - thick inky black with a huge brown head. Lots of lacing.

S - muted on the nose but as it warms it becomes a little bit clearer but only a baking chocolate and mild roasted maltyness is detectable.

T - a bittersweet dark chocolate flavor and the some more coffee/roasted malt sort of bitterness. Overall this chocolate stout comes off alittle to bitter to me.

M - full bodied medium carb right for the style.

D - drinkable. I just didn't think it was as balanced as it couldve been. (501 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -26.1%

poured into a clean pint glass

A: very dark with thick head which was dark in color.

S: I didn't smell much slight dark roasted malt no real decernable chocolate smell.

T: I only tasted a slight roasted coffee taste typical of a stout no real chocolate taste at all. Slightly hoppy.

M: heavy and creamy

O: I know this has gotten some really good ratings but I don't see why. There was very little taste to this beer and the chocolate didn't add anything to it as far as I was concerned. (492 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -25.4%

I ought to be more critical, but I don't have it in me today...

A- pours a dark brown, almost black into a highball glass. The head is a foamy, rich mocha color. gorgeous.

A- One dimensional, but incredibly distinct. Smells like a chocolate milk that has been sitting out in the sun. A little musty, and buttery. It's a smell you'll never forget... even if you want to.

T- Mirrors the taste. The chocolate notes are there, but they're not becoming of a Stout. I've have "chocolate" Porters and Stouts, but it never tastes like this. This reminds me of artificially sweetened cocoa powder.... not a chocolate stout. DISTINCT American hops. They're not the main feature, but they're unavoidable, particularly in the finish.
If it were competing w/ Aunt Jemima's Syrup, I'd call it a competitive attempt, but I'd pick the syrup.

I'm sounding harsh, but only beause of other beers I have had. I do enjoy drinking this, but it's not a hallmark Stout.

It finishes dry... and it's unoffensive: those are features to its credit.

M- creamy, almost silky. Gives way to dryness.

O- Not my cup of tea. I was expecting more. ROGUE's Oatmeal Stout blows this away!!! I'd pick most any ROGUE beer I have had over this one; though I'm not familiar with more than half their line-up.

This just tastes too one-dimensional, and that flavor isn't overwhelmingly appealing. In fact, I could almost do without it.

I guess this beer can be regarded like lots of visiting family members: they're great at first, but then they just become nagging. (1,532 characters)

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales