Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,962 | Reviews: 1,890
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

One of my favorite stouts! Creamy caremelly head. Smell of chocolate and dark roasted malts. Great feel on the pallet with just enough carbonation to give it a little kick and ehance the chocolatey dark roasted malty flavor. Little hint of a caramelized malt stickiness to the taste as well. Man what a great brew !

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: Pours a thick, rich liquid that's more impenetrably blackish brown than any other beer I've seen. Brownish head is not much but extremely dense and slow to dissipate

Smell: Chocolate hits at the forefront but it's right alongside some slight oatmeal/coffee smells like those that are common with porters.

Taste: Absolutely amazing taste from the very second it hits your lips. Immense mouthfeel, and generally just one of the richest taste profiles I've ever had in a chocolate stout. It's chocolatey beyond belief but also balanced with just about everything I love about stouts/porters being at least slightly involved in the mix here. A bit of coffee, a bit of oatmeal, a bit of caramel, but still chocolate is at the center here. Everything else plays a huge role though, and it just feels creamy and rich as anything here. It's very powerful in its level of chocolate, the density and power of its taste, the chocolate taste, the way the other flavors influence but never overwhelm... I seriously just want to keep taking huge gulps of this. It's insane. There's not much to be said about the flavor changing much throughout the swallow, it's pretty much just a richly accented chocolate stout through and through, but the chocolate flavor definitely does develop from biting cocoa to chocolate milk to dark chocolate bitterness throughout its mouthful, and there's a slight coffee taste that shows up and lingers on the back-end. I personally think it's an all-around perfect beer, but I feel like the taste and mouthfeel at least are undeniably perfect for a stout.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Dark Chocolate - with understandable choco bitterness on end - one of our tasters thought the chocolate was more like cough syrup - but he is old. 2 out of three liked it - the third (the old man) walked out and we haven't seen him since.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Very nice stout, dark chocolaty goodness!

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 1pt 6oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours with a half fingers worth of a light brown foam that dissipates to a thin line within 20 seconds. No visible bubbles. Black in color with brown tint. A few small white particles can be seen casted throughout the brew. Very srong aromas of chocolate with mild aromas of roasted barley and earthy tones. Flavor reciprocates the aroma (except that roasted barley flavors are strong instead of mild) with all flavors entering the palate simultaneously. Previously undetected by the nose, mild hops enter the palate after intial flavors to create a splendid balance. Full-bodied, extremely creamy, incredidbly smooth, with little carbonation combine to create a near perfect mouthfeel.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I haven't had this one in awhile, I figured I would get another and enjoy it. It truly tastes like a melted Hershey's bar with alcohol. Easily one of the top 10 offerings from Rogue Brewing.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Not as good as Young's but I would buy again. Chocolate is less pronounced

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

I'm not a stout guy, or a chocolate beer guy, but I had a friend bring a bottle of this over when we were doing a "bottle share" night.

For the style, it's pretty amazing. Nice chocolate flavors, yet has a nice hop backbone too. Since I primarily drink IPA's, that was a good quality to have in a stout like this. Pours almost black with a picturesque head.

Overall, taking my feelings about the style into consideration, it's still a wonderful beer and if I was in the mood for a stout I would probably go for this.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Beatiful head and dark black color. Smells extremely hippy for a stout. Taste matches the smell. The chocolate character is a bit overwhelmed by the happiness and makes it hard to distinguish. Mouthfeel is fitting for the taste, perfectly smooth. This one is just too hippy and light for what I'm looking for when I want a chocolate stout. Still a good beer and I will buy it again if I am looking for a stout with bold hop flavor. I would be interested to see what it would taste like aged.

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

I didn't pour it, I just drank it from a bomber during a gig my band and I were playing. First off, I'm going to assume it looked fantastic like most rogue beers. What I can attest to is the taste and the feel. There's no shortage of chocolate in this bad boy. Some bitter sweet notes of chocolate, even coffee, and roasted malts. The feel is nice and smooth which is typical of stouts since they have less carbonation. As the beer warmed (since I drank it between songs) the chocolate became even more pronounced and the feel also became smoother. Honestly this is by far one of the greatest beers I've had in my life. I'm a sucker for rogue beers and this one is way way up the list.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle to pint glass. Pitch black with a thick tan head that lasts. S: Milk chocolate up front and roasted malts. T: Malts up front with a dark chocolate presence. Was hoping for a little more up front chocolate like the smell F: it is thin but i feel it matches the flavor profile and that it would feel "off" if it was thicker. Wish it had a touch less carbonation O: Very solid!! Will definitely buy again. Just wish it had more chocolate presence in the taste

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Hate to defend from the brothers. I'm disappointed. Mouthfeel thin chocolate faint and bitterness dominates finish. I love everything Oregon but this not up to snuff

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Smell: milkchoclate malt sweetness Coffee
taste: First it tastes like milkchoclate then a heavy bitterness enters the game and the taste goes into the dark chocolate direction.
For my taste a little bit to light body but overall a solid an nice stout

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

A true classic. How have I not rated this already?
22oz bottle served in a stout glass. Beer pours as black as expected and forms a medium brown head. Mild cocoa aroma atop bittersweet chocolate flavor, with just a kiss of hops familiar to an American stout. The chocolate brings up both the levels of bitter and sweet. The result is really tasty and drinkable. Not as sweet as Young's double chocolate, and pairs way better with dessert.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow, there’s a Chocolate Stout from Rogue I haven’t tried yet... I’m sure it was merely an oversight on my behalf, I love Chocolate Stouts, in fact the name of my beer review blog was almost going to be ILCS (I Love Chocolate Stouts) however I Hate Macros seemed a bit of a better fit - it encompassed brews that weren’t specifically Chocolate Stouts and also increased my hits with web users that hate MS Office [you’ll have to think about that one for a moment dear reader]. In any case Rogue, what can I say about them that hasn’t already been said by others? They’re a brewer with more craft pedigree than you can poke a stick at, and one of the few brewers that experiment with weird/wonderful ingredients*, they got moxy.

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: “Welcome to the dark side of the beer” I think to myself with Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars’s voice in my head. A delicious inky black body with a 1cm mocha head... and the prize goes to: Rogue! 9/10.

S: Milk chocolate upfront, as it damn well should be, with a solid biscuit malt base, oats, a touch of earthiness, along with some choc-chip cookie for good measure - “I’m going to enjoy this!” (Freddy Quimby from The Simpsons). 9/10.

T: Yep, a solid Chocolate Stout FTW! This is one tasty chocolate brew, though I would recommend letting it warm a little as I drank this fairly chilled and it was muted as a result, but damn: the flavours are there and they’re great; milk chocolate, biscuit malts, oats, cookie, vanilla and a slight roasted/light bitter character towards the end - this is one Stout that spoils you like a kid at Easter. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied with a slightly gassy carbonation. I had a burp, and I shouldn’t with a Stout. This is the only smudge against an otherwise awesome brew. 8/10.

D: Certainly a brew I will be getting again... and again... and again... and possibly again... but after that no more for a while... then just as I think I won’t get it again - I get it again. Rogue Chocolate Stout is up there with Amager Bryghus & Cigar City’s Xiquic as one of my favourite chocolate beers, and praise well-earned that is and indeed high, mmm [I’m doing a Yoda voice now]. 9/10.

Food match: Chocolate pie, if indeed such a thing exists, with Chantilly cream (if indeed such a thing exists).

*Check out my tasty review of their Voodoo Doughnut Pretzel, Raspberry & Chocolate Ale on BeerAdvocate and hopefully one day: this blog.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours black with a large tan head.
Nose shows milk chocolate, dry roast, cocoa.
Similar flavours, loads more dry roast, a fair bit of bitterness but some sweet milk chocolate too.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Has a more Milk Chocolate character, solid.

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Pours a nice black colour with inch and a half frothy tanned head that reatins and laces well on my Duvel tulip

S - As expected sweet chocolate malt aromas, some burnt or smoked coffee

T - Sweet chocolate malts very prominent, expresso or roasted coffee, dark chocolate present giving a hint of bitterness at the finish

M - Medium to full body with light carbonation

O - A fantastic chocolate stout that is easy to drink and I would recommend

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A nice chocolate stout. I like the double more but this is a great beer.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good chocolate flavor like a liquid brownie. I approve

3.44/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Very bland. Good albeit lackluster.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Very good stout and very rich.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rogue’s “Chocolate Stout” fondly brings back memories of the Winter Stout Tasting event that Nicholas Publicover and I attended a month ago, where he was entranced and firmly suggested that this was the beer of the night. According to him, despite other offerings that night having a higher ABV or different additives, the simplicity and drinkability of this beer put it over the top. An award winning beer and one of the flagship brews from Rogue, I was exceptionally excited to get my hand on another full 22oz bottle of this and put my feet up in front of a fire. Was it as good as I remembered?

Appearance – 94: The stout poured with a thicker head than I remembered (likely in part to all of those high ABV selections we drank last time that I referred to previously!), roughly a half inch thick with caramel/mocha colored bubbles that clung to the edge of the bottle. The color is pitch black and allows no light to penetrate it at all. Slight lacing was evident as well.

Aroma – 94: As one might imagine, the smell of the beer mimics the ingredients used – malts and chocolate. An earthen tone also hints at the roasted barley and rolled oats element, which became more prevalent once the beer hit my tongue.

Body & Texture – 93: As the beer is made with high quality imported chocolate, the first taste (as I’m sure you’d imagine) is of dark chocolate with a hint of milky-vanilla. After a moment a roasted coffee sensation kicks in, before departing to the earthen elements that I suggested earlier. A surprisingly complex amount of flavors given the limited ingredients. Slight carbonation also plays on the palate, which is fun!

Taste – 95: If the Nestle Quick bunny decided to make an alcoholic beverage, this would be it. Everything promised in the description delivers, and then some. Chocolate taste? Prevalent, strong, but not overpowering. Stout element? Certainly. Malted and roasted notes, with tremendous flavor in a great combination. Couldn’t have been more impressed with this selection.

Overall – 94.3 (Excellent): Tasting this beer again after a brief hiatus reminded me of what I was missing, similar to a short breakup with a girlfriend. Holy smokes, what a fantastic beer! If you remotely enjoy chocolate OR stouts (and especially both), you owe it to yourself to sample this beverage. Extremely easy to drink, delicious, and delivering on every level, there is no doubt that several bottles of this will find it to my basement to age. Incredible!

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

A great gift brought by guests to a dinner party. Ads stouts are her favorite beer style, my wife got to contribute to this review....a rarity. Pours a deep black licorice with a pretty coffee brown bubbly head that dissipates, but returns with a gentle swirl of the glass. The scent is of toasted malt and leaves a reminder of chocolate milk. The taste is of bitter dark chocolate, a hint of coffee, and a faint caramel aftertaste. Some creaminess, but also a nice carbonation. Slightly sweet, especially late. We've had chocolatier stouts, but this was nicely balanced and really quite well done. I hope to get this again, but I'll likely have to share it.

Dark brown, almoust black beer with a two finger high mocca-colored head.

Nose: Chocolate, roasted malt, dark bread, oat and coffee.
Taste: Brown sugar, dark chocolate, coffee, dark fruit and caramel.
Body: Full body, compex texture. Medium carbonation. Smooth taste. Bitter ending.

Great stout!