Join our email list →

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,893 | Hads: 4,088
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Served from a chilled 750 ml bomber poured into a snifter glass and enjoyed as it warmed closer to room temperature.

I love the designs of Rogue's bottles, very entertaining and unique.

This stout is dark! Almost like a black hole that destroys any light that should cross its path... The head looks like a milk chocolate wafer or something like an Aero chocolate bar. Simply mouth watering.

The smell does not disappoint!! For chocolate fans, this is as close to the real thing as it gets. Sticking my nose into the snifter yields fantastic notes of chocolate and roasted coffee with some malty undertones.

The taste was quite chocolately and coffee dominant when at a cold temperature. As the beverage warmed up during the sitting there existed a noticeable burn sensation on my tongue and surrounding mouth tissue. As the drink was close to room temperature the alcohol became much more noticeable but this wasn't a bad thing. The flavour became much more complex with the chocolate and roasted coffee complementing each other and becoming much more lively.

I enjoyed this beverage. I would definitely pick this one up again. Bravo Rogue!

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours black with a brownish tan head. The name of this brew cant even trick Mr. Obvious. Smells of Chocolate, with hints of coffee. As far as taste goes, this one tops the "Stout Chart" and you guessed it, tastes like chocolate. However, I had a 22oz bottle of this, and if I hadnt shared it, I probably couldn't have finished it by myself. A 12oz bottle would be a perfect serving size. Overall another wonderful beer by Rogue.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

This is a phenomenal chocolate stout. Had one last night and accidentally spilled some on the rug. The stain looks like black ink.

Pours pitch black with a thick, foamy, dark head that doesn't stick around for a long time.
Smells spicy with chocolate and dark grain.
Taste is full bodied with hint of chocolate and well roasted, almost burnt, grain with a very nice finish.
Very silky and creamy mouthfeel with medium carbonation.
Highly drinkable for a heavy, full bodied stout.

This is an awesome stout. This is a tasty adult treat like chocolate milk was when I was a kid. I highly recommend it. Mmm...I want another.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Very nice chocolate aroma, a beautiful dark black out of the bottle with a nice creamy head. Had a good chocolate taste and finished like bitter dark chocolate. Mouthfeel was good for the style, not much carbonation. I could probably drink this all day, every day. Great beer.

4.74/5  rDev +13.1%

I poured this lovely concoction into a pint glass. Dark chocolate black with a small head that looked like the foam that would be on top of an expresso.

The smell was a deep dark chocolate. As i drank more the glass allowed the odors to concentrate in the glass. Smells of caramel, chocolate and pecan started to develop. I love pecan pie, and these scents really stood out to me. (the next time i drink this beer i will do so from a tulip, or only fill the glass 1/2 full in order to get the full effect).

Taste was like a dessert in a bottle. Rich and chocolaty, with some hops bite in the swallow.

Mouthfeel was world class. Smooth and velvety. I found myself swishing this one around.

Good drinkability, but i think this beer is better savored than guzzled, so this area doesn't really apply to me.

All in a all an outstanding beverage that is truly a dessert in a bottle.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Black as black can be with deep ruby accents on the bottom. Medium khaki head which recedes fairly quickly to cover the entire top of the beer.

Smell: Glorious! Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! Malty, too, but not as out in front as the chocolate.

Taste: Malty and then chocolatey, in reverse of the smell.

Mouthfeel: Weak for the style and taste, but not disappointing.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

22OZ. bottle poured into a 24oz beer mug. Bottle was bought at local Krogers for 5.49+tax. 6.0 % ABV.

Apperence- very dark brown pretty much black, nice creamy looking brown head.

Smell- Smells of Chocolate,Roasted Malts, sweetness.

Taste- More of a dark chocolate then milk, little coffee, roasted malts, a little bit bitter but still tastes really good.

Mouthfeel- This is a smooth creamy medium bodied
beer.

Drinkabilty- I would say anyone could drink this beer, the sweetness may only allow some to drink a single serving of it but on taste alone, you would want to drink alot more.

Overall This is one of my all time favorite beers
I have said before in other reviews that Rogue is one of my favorite brewers out there and this is one, if not their best. I buy this beer often and its a great choice if you just want a good beer or are enjoying it with your desert. Thanks!

3.41/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured into a standard pilsner glass.

A: Pours a jet black with a hue on the bottom where light barely gets through of the darkest brown possible. there is a 2 finger foamy/bubbly head that goes down after about a minute or two but does retain a small half finger of bubbly head for a few more minutes. Minimal lacing, but some circulated throughout the glass.

S: Sweet chocolate, like sticking your nose in a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Rather pleasant.

T: Dark chocolate. Sweet but a tad bitter, like dark chocolate. It is a nice tasting stout that is dominant in the chocolate taste of course, but tastes like a stout nonetheless.

Mouthfeel: pretty full bodied with moderate carbonation. Very smooth like a stout should be but heavier than anything i would call medium bodied.

O: I am not overly impressed with the stout. It is a nice chocolate stout, a sweet smell and dark chocolate taste provides some complexity and uniqueness, but it lacks something that I can't quite put my finger on. I just didn't love it and I would consider it a tad overrated given the scores on this site, but I would recommend giving it a try for sure.

4.76/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Dark with a slight brown hue, rich. excellent lacing, excellent head

S: Smells faintly of dark chocolate and all spice.

T: When I think chocolate stout, this is what I want. An great balance between dark chocolate and malty beer flavors. It has a little coffee and almost a little burnt sugar taste too it, but not enough to throw off the chocolate/stout combo -instead it adds a bit of depth. Perfection

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth, rich, excellent

Overall: For it's style I can't think of any way this beer could be better so full marks. While not exactly inexpensive at $6.50 for 650ml it is worth every penny. If you love darker beers and/or chocolate you will love this beer. If you want a hoppy beer, look elsewhere -that isn't what this style or stouts in general are about. I'm going to have to add this to my list of favorite beers without a doubt.

Favorite beers (for comparison, after all taste preferences are subjective): Elysian's Daedalus Irish Stout, Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Allagash's White Ale, New Belgium's 1554, Full Sail's Wassail, etc. Beer styles I don't like: IPAs (with few exceptions)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
Appearance: Jet Black with a nice one and a half finger high dark khaki/cappuccino colored head.
Smell: Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.
Taste: Chocolate, bitter coffee, and more chocolate.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not at thick as it's dark color would suggest. Medium carbonation.
Overall: A good beer, one that I will be buying again in the near future.

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour produced a jet-black beer with a dense and frothy brown head. The aroma was strong and extremely complex: Dark chocolate was the most obvious, and so assertive it made my mouth water a little for want of a Hershey's bar. I also detected roasted grains and some "earthiness" that was in the background, perhaps some other character lent by the chocolate. Subtle hints of alcohol rounded out the aroma.

The roasted grains and chocolate flavors complement eachother perfectly. Roasted barley creeps up in the aftertaste and stays there. This beer is also rather bitter, both from the hops and the dark grains. Substantial fruitiness appears as the beer warms up. I detected a little bit of oxidation but it doesn't harm the overall impression. Just a little too carbonated for my tastes. Mouthfeel is very thick and creamy. The silkiness on my tongue makes me believe this beer was brewed with oats.

Final impression: An outstanding beer! I really loved how the character changed as the beer went from fridge to near-room temperatures. I must always have a few bottles of this stuff around.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 22oz silkscreened bottle and split with a friend. Appearance is black with no chance of light penetrating the beer. Thick tan head that maintains itself until the beer is gone. Smell is dark roasted malt with a load of dark chocolate. Some coffee hints as well. Taste is heavenly. Evenly balanced dark malts with bitter chocolate combine to form a nearly perfect beer. Coffee and blackened malt hints creep in as well. Mouthfeel is thick but very palateable. Drinkability is also way up there, I could have glass after glass of this. Overall, one of the best beers that I have ever had.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Dark brown to black. Pours nice and thick with a creamy tan to brown head 1" to 1 1-2" thick. Bubbles in head are midsize and dissipate within a few minutes. Very little lace.

Smells: Roasted malts and chocolate and more chocolate. Thats all I have to say about that.

Taste: Chocolate is very nice. Not too bitter and not too sweet. I think this is very well balanced. A little hint of hops at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation with a semi-sweet chocolate taste that coats the tongue and fades to a pleasant bitterness.

Drinkability: I really enjoyed this stout. I do not have access to many chocolate stouts in my area but I think this Rogue is great. I will definately buy this one again and again and again. I will probably enjoy this after a meal since I like sweets after I eat. I can kill two birds with one stone. An after dinner beer and sweet desert.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer I tried last night is awesome.
I believe it is only sold on draft in my state of Alabama.
It is nearly a black beer but a slight brown hue in the light.
The smell was very nice. true chocolate smell with a hint of coffee. The taste was also very drinkable. I knocked this one out fairly quick. Sweet with just the amount of bitterness to kill off alcohol taste. warm loving mouthfeel to it. I dont think texture in a brew can get much better. again this beer is very drinkable smooth finishing beer loved it.
Beau of Bama

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

650 ml bottle poured into a 16oz pint glass.
Sight: Black hole-like darkness. Tan head with large bubbles that made a full three inches on a calm pour. Excellent lacing that stuck and measured my progress better than I could.

Smell: Roasted malt with chocolate overtones. It wasn't just bitter chocolate, but truly sweet chocolate as well. This is the downright sweetest (in classic terms) beer I've ever smelled.

Taste: Dry at first, like a good stout, then the flavor swirls in your mouth and the chocolate comes rushing out. The flavor was sweet without going too far. The finish was bitter with coffee and traditional chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel: Velvety, not overly carbonated and very nice going down.

Drinkability: I drank 650 ml. and could have had more. However, such good desert beers usually follow a nice meal, and this one was no exception. But I had three glasses, so I'd rate this high as stouts go.

Overall: Very pleased with this one. As I see it, the gold standard for chocolate stouts is Young's brew. Without having a bottle of Young's Double here with me, I can't make specific comparisons, but I'd rank Rogue's concoction right up there.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Ran into this at my local beer importers and like an excited child on Christmas day snapped up 6 bottles and ran home giggling.

Ive heard and read so much about this stout so when i saw it my heart stopped and i had to take it in for a second.

Upon opening my slightly chilled first bottle i was hit with an incredibly potent aroma of chocolate.

I poured slowly into a bowl stout glass and was greeted with a beautifully dark, thick and almost oil like liquid that filled my nasal cavities with chocolate, coffee, cream, nutmeg and even hints of scotch whiskey.

Taste was incredible. Beautiful hit of cocoa which burst off in tangents to give way for coffee, nutmeg and even syrup.

Coated my palatte with a lovely film of alcoholic flavour which stayed long after the first sip. As i moved on down the glass the taste didnt diminish nor become too intense.

I am very impressed with this and whenever i see it you can be sure ill be stocking up. I have saved 4 bottles of the six that i brought and am literally fighting myself to not open them.

My hat is off to Rogue....

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Dark Chocolate - with understandable choco bitterness on end - one of our tasters thought the chocolate was more like cough syrup - but he is old. 2 out of three liked it - the third (the old man) walked out and we haven't seen him since.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz silk-screened bomber (with specs about the beer but no freshness date) my wife picked up for me in Ohio. Thanks, hon!

Starts black with a nice thick tan head which dissipates pretty quickly (after a fairly slow pour). Smells slightly of roasted malts and chocolate. Taste is a wonderful bittersweet chocolate with a rounded malt (roast bitterness and sweetness) backing. Finishes fairly bitter. Nice soft mousy mouthfeel.

This is one I wish I could find more often. Very tasty on its own, but would probably go very well with cocolate cake, brownies or ice cream... Or all of the above.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

A dark opaque black with a dark brown head, this beer smells like coffee, with hints of roasted almonds and of course chocolate. Tastes of dark, bitter chocolate with coffee and a nice smooth malt finish.

Beer and Chocolate, what could be better together?!

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Rogue Chocolate Stout is one of the few top-notch readily available beers here in Mississippi. I guess I've taken this stuff for granted and I owe it a review.

Pours jet black with a nice 3/4" head that never dissipates.

Amazingly, this beer smells of chocolate. Yes, believe the other 1000+ reviews.

Delicious. I'm not pairing this with a dessert, this is dessert. I'm tasting dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and maybe even a little coffee bean on the long finish.

This is one very rich and filling stout. One bottle is just right.

3.06/5  rDev -27%

This was on nitro-tap. What the hell was my favorite beer bar thinking? Talk about almost ruining a great beer. This isn't Guiness so don't make the mistake of treating it like Guiness.

Appearance - dark as a no-star night in Maine. So dark you can't find your way through the forest.

Smell - I swear nitro-refrigeration affects the aroma, even if it's only in my mind. Overly cooled brew, no hints of chocolate, cara, or coffee. No hop aroma (not surpising). Just a little bit of bland malty aroma.

Taste - A touch of chocolate. My guess is that due to the nitro-pour, no way this brew was ever going to warm up to a decent temp and consistency in my life time. Bottled is way better. Hops, however light, seemed murdered by the nitro.

Mouthfeel - a little thin

Drinkability - just okay, didn't get a second, which is unusual. Too cold, too bland.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a goblet.

A: Deep black, nearly opaque with a burnt tan head that hangs around a little while.

S: Smeels of cacao, chocolate malts, roasted barley, maybe a little toffee.

T: Carbonation at first, but once it settles in the glass, fine dark chocolate, roasted grains, toffee and caramel, bitter with just enough sweetness to balance it out. Bitterness comes from the chocolate as much as the hops, which are present but subtle. Nice creamy finish.

M: Carbonation and cream.

D: Easy to drink one, but not two.

Overall: So far my favorite chocolate stout. Seems like it would go equally well with a uicy pok roast or a sweet dessert. Everything in this brew is so well-balanced. Top notch stout.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

My man at Binnys recommended this one to me and I must say i was happy. The beer poured very dark almost black with no light shining through and a little over a 1 finger high dark tan head. Smell of chocolate is very apparent over everything else. The taste is great. A dry bitter chocolate taste with a good finish that gets easier to drink as you drink more. Good finish and very nice mouth feel with the right amount of carbonation. Very much recommend this to anyone looking for a chocolate stout to try.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance- Dark, very dark, foamy brown head, maybe a little too foamy

Smell- A coffee/chocolate blend, nutty and smoky notes too

Taste- Coffee and chocolate obviously but also a roasty nutty finish

Mouthfeel- Heavy, thick, syrupy but still smooth

Drinkability- Very tasty. This was suggested to me after I couldn't find a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and I was very satisfied. I would definitely have another. But it is heavy and filling so be prepared.

4.66/5  rDev +11.2%

22oz bomber poured into a 14oz mug. No apparent freshness date on the bottle.

Pours an opaque black with a shy khaki head. Head was slow to come even with an aggressive pour. Lacing was thick and strong though.

Whoa, the nose is all semi-sweet chocolate. It's not bad, but I seriously can't find anything else in there. Bit milky I guess.

The taste is a pleasant, creamy dark chocolate, backed up quickly by coffee. The rear is brought up by an earthy hop flavor, which provides a nice balance to a truly delicious beer. I've had my share of chocolate, vanilla, maple, etc. stouts and porters and this is beautifully strong and balanced at the same time.

The mouthfeel is exceptional. There's just enough carbonation to cut the thickness, but it's pleasantly thick and very appropriate for the style.

Drinkability is very good for the style. I'd much rather have several dry well balanced stouts like this than some of the over-done half-candy flavored stouts I've had lately.

What a great chocolate stout. While the nose is almost comically strong, don't be fooled; this is an exceptionally good beer.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales