Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,878 | Hads: 3,998
4.25/5  rDev +1%

650 ml bottle poured into a 16oz pint glass.
Sight: Black hole-like darkness. Tan head with large bubbles that made a full three inches on a calm pour. Excellent lacing that stuck and measured my progress better than I could.

Smell: Roasted malt with chocolate overtones. It wasn't just bitter chocolate, but truly sweet chocolate as well. This is the downright sweetest (in classic terms) beer I've ever smelled.

Taste: Dry at first, like a good stout, then the flavor swirls in your mouth and the chocolate comes rushing out. The flavor was sweet without going too far. The finish was bitter with coffee and traditional chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel: Velvety, not overly carbonated and very nice going down.

Drinkability: I drank 650 ml. and could have had more. However, such good desert beers usually follow a nice meal, and this one was no exception. But I had three glasses, so I'd rate this high as stouts go.

Overall: Very pleased with this one. As I see it, the gold standard for chocolate stouts is Young's brew. Without having a bottle of Young's Double here with me, I can't make specific comparisons, but I'd rank Rogue's concoction right up there. (1,166 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Ran into this at my local beer importers and like an excited child on Christmas day snapped up 6 bottles and ran home giggling.

Ive heard and read so much about this stout so when i saw it my heart stopped and i had to take it in for a second.

Upon opening my slightly chilled first bottle i was hit with an incredibly potent aroma of chocolate.

I poured slowly into a bowl stout glass and was greeted with a beautifully dark, thick and almost oil like liquid that filled my nasal cavities with chocolate, coffee, cream, nutmeg and even hints of scotch whiskey.

Taste was incredible. Beautiful hit of cocoa which burst off in tangents to give way for coffee, nutmeg and even syrup.

Coated my palatte with a lovely film of alcoholic flavour which stayed long after the first sip. As i moved on down the glass the taste didnt diminish nor become too intense.

I am very impressed with this and whenever i see it you can be sure ill be stocking up. I have saved 4 bottles of the six that i brought and am literally fighting myself to not open them.

My hat is off to Rogue.... (1,079 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz silk-screened bomber (with specs about the beer but no freshness date) my wife picked up for me in Ohio. Thanks, hon!

Starts black with a nice thick tan head which dissipates pretty quickly (after a fairly slow pour). Smells slightly of roasted malts and chocolate. Taste is a wonderful bittersweet chocolate with a rounded malt (roast bitterness and sweetness) backing. Finishes fairly bitter. Nice soft mousy mouthfeel.

This is one I wish I could find more often. Very tasty on its own, but would probably go very well with cocolate cake, brownies or ice cream... Or all of the above. (599 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

A dark opaque black with a dark brown head, this beer smells like coffee, with hints of roasted almonds and of course chocolate. Tastes of dark, bitter chocolate with coffee and a nice smooth malt finish.

Beer and Chocolate, what could be better together?! (260 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Rogue Chocolate Stout is one of the few top-notch readily available beers here in Mississippi. I guess I've taken this stuff for granted and I owe it a review.

Pours jet black with a nice 3/4" head that never dissipates.

Amazingly, this beer smells of chocolate. Yes, believe the other 1000+ reviews.

Delicious. I'm not pairing this with a dessert, this is dessert. I'm tasting dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and maybe even a little coffee bean on the long finish.

This is one very rich and filling stout. One bottle is just right. (537 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -27.3%

This was on nitro-tap. What the hell was my favorite beer bar thinking? Talk about almost ruining a great beer. This isn't Guiness so don't make the mistake of treating it like Guiness.

Appearance - dark as a no-star night in Maine. So dark you can't find your way through the forest.

Smell - I swear nitro-refrigeration affects the aroma, even if it's only in my mind. Overly cooled brew, no hints of chocolate, cara, or coffee. No hop aroma (not surpising). Just a little bit of bland malty aroma.

Taste - A touch of chocolate. My guess is that due to the nitro-pour, no way this brew was ever going to warm up to a decent temp and consistency in my life time. Bottled is way better. Hops, however light, seemed murdered by the nitro.

Mouthfeel - a little thin

Drinkability - just okay, didn't get a second, which is unusual. Too cold, too bland. (865 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a goblet.

A: Deep black, nearly opaque with a burnt tan head that hangs around a little while.

S: Smeels of cacao, chocolate malts, roasted barley, maybe a little toffee.

T: Carbonation at first, but once it settles in the glass, fine dark chocolate, roasted grains, toffee and caramel, bitter with just enough sweetness to balance it out. Bitterness comes from the chocolate as much as the hops, which are present but subtle. Nice creamy finish.

M: Carbonation and cream.

D: Easy to drink one, but not two.

Overall: So far my favorite chocolate stout. Seems like it would go equally well with a uicy pok roast or a sweet dessert. Everything in this brew is so well-balanced. Top notch stout. (728 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

My man at Binnys recommended this one to me and I must say i was happy. The beer poured very dark almost black with no light shining through and a little over a 1 finger high dark tan head. Smell of chocolate is very apparent over everything else. The taste is great. A dry bitter chocolate taste with a good finish that gets easier to drink as you drink more. Good finish and very nice mouth feel with the right amount of carbonation. Very much recommend this to anyone looking for a chocolate stout to try. (508 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance- Dark, very dark, foamy brown head, maybe a little too foamy

Smell- A coffee/chocolate blend, nutty and smoky notes too

Taste- Coffee and chocolate obviously but also a roasty nutty finish

Mouthfeel- Heavy, thick, syrupy but still smooth

Drinkability- Very tasty. This was suggested to me after I couldn't find a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and I was very satisfied. I would definitely have another. But it is heavy and filling so be prepared. (455 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +10.7%

22oz bomber poured into a 14oz mug. No apparent freshness date on the bottle.

Pours an opaque black with a shy khaki head. Head was slow to come even with an aggressive pour. Lacing was thick and strong though.

Whoa, the nose is all semi-sweet chocolate. It's not bad, but I seriously can't find anything else in there. Bit milky I guess.

The taste is a pleasant, creamy dark chocolate, backed up quickly by coffee. The rear is brought up by an earthy hop flavor, which provides a nice balance to a truly delicious beer. I've had my share of chocolate, vanilla, maple, etc. stouts and porters and this is beautifully strong and balanced at the same time.

The mouthfeel is exceptional. There's just enough carbonation to cut the thickness, but it's pleasantly thick and very appropriate for the style.

Drinkability is very good for the style. I'd much rather have several dry well balanced stouts like this than some of the over-done half-candy flavored stouts I've had lately.

What a great chocolate stout. While the nose is almost comically strong, don't be fooled; this is an exceptionally good beer. (1,111 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

this was presented to me at cobblestones in a sampler glass(about 7oz.). beautiful dark body with a thick tan head. I'm not into chocolate stouts but this was exceptional. you can smell the chocolate. very good rich taste. I will be back for a pint or two sometime in the near future. (284 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A: poured jet black (maintained when held up to a light) with an inch of caramel-colored head (minute settle). some sticky, globby lacing but that settled quickly.

S: nesquik chocolate syrup (dominating the olfaction), roasted grains, and just a slight undertone of rottenness that's reminiscent of the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator after a few weeks of neglect.

T: given the potent chocolate smell, i was expecting an overwhelming chocolate-milk taste, but the taste was actually a little underwhelming. there's a slight nose of chocolate but that's about all i'm getting.

M: rather light. again... leaving something to be desired. a bitter-tinge down the middle of the tongue and it's gone.

O: despite what sounds like a negative review, i didn't hate this beer. it had an enjoyable, unique smell (one of the most chocolaty smellin' beers i've ever had) and an easy-on-the-palate taste; the appearance and smell just got my hopes up. i was expecting a trip down memory lane when i used to put entirely too much chocolate in my milk when no one was looking. (1,070 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bottle.

A - Dark! You can't see through the glass. Very thick, brown head. Pretty!

S - Tootsie roll! Lots of characteristics here, but mostly chocolate and roasted coffee.

T - Bitter-sweet chocolate, with a nice roasted malty flavor. Pretty strong bodied.

M & D - Thick and heavy, and definitely gives a bitter sting. A little too carbonated for my taste in these types of beers. Fun to drink, but you can probably only drink one. I had this for desert, and I was thoroughly satisfied.

I would easily drink this again. Recommended. (573 characters)

A- black as night with a dark brown head.
S- Deep chocalte smell. hints of coffee and malt.
T- WOW!!! the chocalate is impressive, intense, and perfectly balanced with a subtle bitter hop taste.
MF- all incompasing, palatte coating, chocalate blast.
d- utterly drinkable. it is like dessert in a bottle.

This is a beautiful brew that taste amazing. ive never had a beer with this much well balanced chocalate flavor. im not even a chocalate fan generally, but this brew is amazing. i fell in love with this the first time i had one, and i continue to buy this brew. no matter what your into, please try this brew, it is a classic! My personal favorite. (655 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Very dark appearance, almost jet black with a brownish hue. Love the color.

S: In short, a great chocolate smell with dark malt and hops. Some nutty molasses in there as well.

T: I was a little skeptical of a chocolate Beer but Surprisingly it was blended well. You taste the chocolate mostly when it first hits your tongue and on the aftertaste. I like how you can taste the chocolate but it doesn't overpower it at all. Great brewing if you ask me. An awesome winter Beer to be savored.

M: Wow, I was surprised on how smooth this Beer was. Phenomenal texture, so creamy. I think the chocolate really comes through on the mouthfeel.

D: I could drink a lot of this, I don't want to put it down.

I highly recommend this beer if you are a fan of dark beers, it really is liquid gold. Awesome Beer. (803 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

Dark Chocolate - with understandable choco bitterness on end - one of our tasters thought the chocolate was more like cough syrup - but he is old. 2 out of three liked it - the third (the old man) walked out and we haven't seen him since. (239 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours thick black with a chocolate brown head. Even when held right up to a lamp no light is coming through this bad boy.

Smells like chocolate! Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! No suprise here. Just a hint of roasted malt.

Taste starts off with a tiny burnt/roasted malt bitter bite followed by a very silky chocolate taste. Almost like a hot coco powder but more towards the dark chocolate side. Not overly sweet or heavy. The best part is that it tastes like real chocolate unlike some beers that have the chocolate name in their label.

The mouthfeel is very smooth and milk like with just a hint of carbonation. Suprisingly light as it sits in your belly which is great because I could sip this all night long.

As far as chocolate beers go, this is the best I have had. Makes an excellent dessert by itself but I am sure it would go excellent with a slice of chocolate cake (perhaps it would even make a good cake!). Go out and find one if you haven't because this is what a chocolate beer should be! (1,016 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

A-Nice and dark, think creamy brown head that stays.

S-Wow! Chocolate, a tad roasty with a slight hop bitterness.

T-Nice full body, I can really taste the chocolate, as above a tad roasty.

What a great stout, the first few are very drinkable, after that I start getting a tad full. It was a realy treat to find this on tap. (332 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Black, and a nice two finger brown head.

S - The only chocolate stout I have been able to smell chocolate in.

T - Unsweetened bakers chocolate and roasted malts,as with the smell I was able to taste the chocolate right from the start.

M - Smooth, dry on the finish.

D - Easily the best chocolate stout I have had, and very easy to drink. I would get it if you want a chocolate stout that tastes like chocolate. (418 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

A- A dark brown pour reveals superb lacing and a solid head. Not as dark as some other stouts.

S- Notable aroma of sweet chocolate, a bit of roasted barley and light malt notes.

T- Whoa, chocolate. This might sound strange, but it reminds me of tootsie rolls. I wonder if the chocolate flavor is too dominant, and that it might be somewhat cloying. Perhaps this stout is somewhat one dimensional, or maybe it just seems that way when inevitably compared with Rogue's Shakespeare stout.

M- Not as heavy as one would expect, but a solid creamy feel that compliments the taste well.

D- Somewhat sweet, which could make it hard to drink too many. Of course, it's price keeps one from drinking too many. A solid beer overall. (724 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Thick and oil looking. Pitch black - can not see any light through the glass. Beautiful appetizing looking head. Lacing is very nice.
S - First thing that hits you is the chocalate notes. There is def some cocoa and raisins as well.
T - Chocolate and coffee notes pop out and stand on your tongue. Alcohol is evident but nicely hidden. Very tasty.
M - is thick but not overwhelming. Feels nice for an american stout. Could be a touch more chewy.
D - is very nice. Goes down well. Nice and thick - not extremel overwhelming. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming.

Overall a very tasty and solid stout. Would def buy again. (628 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

poured from bottle into glass.

a- near black in color. i finger dark tan head.

s- rich cocolate aroma

t- full bodied, roasted dark chocolate taste with hints of coffee flavor.

m- mild carbonation. thick creamy taste.

d- very drinkable. goes down fairly slow, but i am lifting the glass for another swig almost immediately after i set it back down on the table. would have another. (388 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Pours a dark brown, nearly black. The bottle calls it an 'ebony'. For a chocolate stout I find it as dark as it should be.

Smells like chocolate, chocolate, and dark chocolate.

Taste is not quite as chocolate but still there is chocolate. Hops and some malts. 90% chocolate, 9% hops, and the 1% rest. A nice overall pleasing taste, tastes much like Deschutes Brewery Obsidian Stout.

Solid mouthfeel; perhaps just a tiny bit over carbonated but it must suffice and the mouthfeel is still great.

Nearly to easy to drink. Could easily finish off two bombers in an hour. This is a nice strong brew. (602 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Over-hopped from my perspective - a "flaw" in some Stone brews. I can't help but feel it would soar if toned down just a bit. Even after several tries, the unpleasant bitterness lingers to make the drinkability rating mediocre (I've enjoyed barleywines that didn't suffer from this limitation) Maybe it's just me and my sweet-longing palatal proclivity. Decent numbers all-around otherwise. I'll give this contender a few more go's at it before giving up. You never know. (471 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance
Very dark brown, opaque. At the very edge of the glass a slight brown/ruby color can be seen. Soft, creamy looking head that dissipates nearly entirely, but clings to the edge of the glass. Left little to no lacing on my glass.
4/5

Aroma
Thick, and heavy with the smell of chocolate. Not a coco smell, but the smell of chocolate syrup. No hop aroma at all.

Flavor
Light, roasted barley with a slight crispness. Flavor is clean and free of esters. The chocolate flavor is not as overwhelming as the aroma would suggest. Carbonation is on the smoother side, pleasant, and not too abrasive. Has a smooth, creamy finish, and the roasted chocolaty flavors finish well with a pleasant slightly bitter aftertaste. Could have slightly more body in the flavor and mouthfeel, and perhaps just a hint of acidity or sourness to balance the bittersweet chocolate flavor.

BJCP Style
Aroma 5/5
Appearance 4.5/5
Flavor 4/5
Mouthfeel 4/5
Overall Style 4.375/5 (964 characters)

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales