Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

12 Ingredients:

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,881 | Hads: 4,020
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a dark brown, nearly black. The bottle calls it an 'ebony'. For a chocolate stout I find it as dark as it should be.

Smells like chocolate, chocolate, and dark chocolate.

Taste is not quite as chocolate but still there is chocolate. Hops and some malts. 90% chocolate, 9% hops, and the 1% rest. A nice overall pleasing taste, tastes much like Deschutes Brewery Obsidian Stout.

Solid mouthfeel; perhaps just a tiny bit over carbonated but it must suffice and the mouthfeel is still great.

Nearly to easy to drink. Could easily finish off two bombers in an hour. This is a nice strong brew.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Over-hopped from my perspective - a "flaw" in some Stone brews. I can't help but feel it would soar if toned down just a bit. Even after several tries, the unpleasant bitterness lingers to make the drinkability rating mediocre (I've enjoyed barleywines that didn't suffer from this limitation) Maybe it's just me and my sweet-longing palatal proclivity. Decent numbers all-around otherwise. I'll give this contender a few more go's at it before giving up. You never know.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Very dark brown, opaque. At the very edge of the glass a slight brown/ruby color can be seen. Soft, creamy looking head that dissipates nearly entirely, but clings to the edge of the glass. Left little to no lacing on my glass.

Thick, and heavy with the smell of chocolate. Not a coco smell, but the smell of chocolate syrup. No hop aroma at all.

Light, roasted barley with a slight crispness. Flavor is clean and free of esters. The chocolate flavor is not as overwhelming as the aroma would suggest. Carbonation is on the smoother side, pleasant, and not too abrasive. Has a smooth, creamy finish, and the roasted chocolaty flavors finish well with a pleasant slightly bitter aftertaste. Could have slightly more body in the flavor and mouthfeel, and perhaps just a hint of acidity or sourness to balance the bittersweet chocolate flavor.

BJCP Style
Aroma 5/5
Appearance 4.5/5
Flavor 4/5
Mouthfeel 4/5
Overall Style 4.375/5

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Apearence: Dark black! I held it up to a light and saw nothing but blackness. Great head formed and left a nice lace as I sipped down the beer.

Smell: The first smell was full of malt tones with some slight hints of toffee. My first thought was "wow....they found a way to make a beer that tastes like an ice cream sunday". I'm getting very excited!!

Taste: The frist sip had hints of un-sweatened chocolate. Soon after the toffee flavor fights it's way back to the palate. A slight hop bitterness is present and it finds a great way to mixs with the chocolate/toffee flavors.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth as it rolls across my mouth. The carbonation is definitely noticable, but not too overpowering.

Drinkability: I think it goes without saying that if a beer reminds me of a's very drinkable. I'm a big fan!!

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

I would put this Rogue beer on top of my favourite chocolate beers. Right along with Lost Coast Chocolate Porter.

The joy began right after opening the bottle. It pours a dark body and thick head that settled rather quickly.
Full body / chocolate smell is heavily present right after opening and in the glass. It has a nice smell that does not overtake the quality of the beer.
A very enjoyable beer, very smooth, full chocolate body, does not leave any bad aftertaste. A near perfect mix of chocolate malt and barley.

A good beer to share with people interested in discovering something new and appealing. Have yet to find any food I could pair it with. I thought about trying saltine with good Belgian chocolate, but was afraid it might ruin the enjoyment of the beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A - This is by far the darkest, most opaque beer I've ever encountered. Just for kicks I turned off the lights and held a laser pointer to the other side of the mug. Nothing came through. Nothing. The head was a thick froth, akin to what you would see on the top of a good expresso.

S - Cocoa absolutely dominates. A blind smell test would overwhelmingly say that this was a high-grade, bittersweet chocolate bar... and in this case that's a very good thing.

T - A surpisingly well balanced stout with good malt base. Of course the brew has very strong chocolate overtones, but nothing about the flavor seems unbalanced. Biased towards the cocoa, yes, but the flavor just works.

M - A good chewy texture with subdued fizz that gently coats the mouth.

D - Despite the strong flavors and full texture, this is a marvelously easy beer to drink. Additionally, this beer is an absolute desert. I would rather have a mug of this at the end of a meal than a dessert served on a plate.

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%

This is going to be a very unorthodox review.

I poured a 22oz chocolate stout into a soft drink cup in the gas station where I got it because I wanted to instantly drink it and Starkville has a 0 tolerance drinking-in-the-street law.

The color was very dark and rich - motor oil.

The smell was quite strong, extreme chocolate.

The taste was what I expected from the smell, almost like a chocolate malt from your local creamery.

For a stout this was surprisingly drinkable. I could probably drink three before I felt like I ate a loaf of bread.

I was wearing a big red cat head, and in order to keep my anonymity I drank this through a straw. I couldn't tell it was a beer, it tasted exactly like a chocolate malt.

2.7/5  rDev -35.6%

Very dark in appearance & nice aroma. Huge creamy head & medium body, but the flavors did not taste at all integrated. Each sip tasted like a dark beer, but then the chocolate aftertaste lingeredfor what seemed like forever. I like dark beer & I like chocolatr, but this combo was not appealing to me. And while the label lists "natural chocolate flavoring", it tasted artificial to me. Not a beer I would seek out.

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%

22oz Bottle

A - Black with a mocha brown head

S - Almost only Chocolate

T - Very strong Chocolate flavor, slightly Oatey

M - Lighter than expected, perfectly carbonated

D - Delicious! Very deserving of the high remarks garnered here. Filling as stouts tend to be, but my only regret is that I didn't buy more than two!

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

My wife and I have tried this one several times,including buying it from the local Whole Foods where it is kept cold, and well it has been bitter every time -so it is either my wife and I's taste buds or just the way this one is. Everything else about it is pretty good - juts always seems to be bitter.

2.85/5  rDev -32%

I was really excited to try this beer. It came in a huge 22 oz. bottle and I got a huge 16 oz glass with it.

A: Dark black, with a great, foamy, tan head. The head lasted a bit, and it lingered on the sides of the glass as I drank it.

S: Beer had the strongest chocolate smell. Really, it smelled like a chocolate bar! I was so excited to drink it after smelling it, so I was so disappointed when...

T:...the taste was overwhelmingly bitter. It was so bitter that I couldn't taste any sweetness at all. I let it warm up a bit and ate some pizza to try and tease out some flavors, but got nothing. All I could taste was bitter, bitter, and more bitter aftertaste lingering on my tongue, so that I didn't even look with delight to the next sip. All I kept thinking was, "well, I gotta finish the beer."

M: It's smooth, like Guinness, and almost as thick and heavy as a Gunness. It wasn't heavily carbonated at all.

D: The bitter aftertaste was just too much for me. I finished the bottle only because I hate to waste beer. I've tasted great chocolate stouts, and I wouldn't reccomend this to anyone. The only reason it has a good grade at all is because it looks and smells really good.

2.91/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured from a bomber into a wide mouth wine glass

A: Dark brown/Black. No lacing. Very thin head that dissipates as the beer sits.

S: Great smelling stout. Dark chocolate, cola, vanilla bean.

T: Flat. Could use more carbonation. Nice mellow chocolate up front and at finish.

M: Very light for a stout. Not much staying power

D: Easy to drink because there is not a lot going on.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

I had this a couple nights ago and lost my notes, thanks to a couple 90 minute IPAs.

A. The first thing that I noticed as I poured this into the snifter the bar provided was that it was difficult to see through even as it was coming out of the bottle. It was as black as dark chocolate with a hint of brown (although that may have been the lighting).

S. There was nothing remarkable in the smell except the chocolate coming through.

T. Chocolate. Chocolate malts. Chocolate candies. Chocolate bars. It started heavy on chocolate, had a slight bitterness to the middle, and finished strong dark chocolate. Too bitter for a buddy of mine, but the bitterness isn't what stands out.

M. I'm surprised at how light the body to this was after pouring it. I was expecting (and almost wanting) a much thicker beer, but alas this was medium bodied and smooth.

D. The drinkability is frightening. Not even being a chocolate person (I don't like coffee either, but I love good Imperial Stouts), I easily could have gone through a second 22 oz. bottle if the bar hadn't served me the last one.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

This is bar far the best stout I have had, and everywhere I go I make an attempt to try any stout I find. The beer pours up with a monstrous tan head, maybe 2-3 fingers, with a pitch black body. The mouth feel is very creamy like, fairly thick but good. Taste is what you would expect, dark chocolate, coffee, the smokey aftertaste, not too much though. I have had many "chocolate stout" beers and this one is one the the few I have had that really has the feel taste of chocolate. Overall this beer is one of my go to stouts anytime, awesome beer!

3.77/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

After seeing how highly rated this offering was, I had to try one. My only other experience with chocolate stouts was Young's, which I enjoyed a lot.

poured out pitch black with a very dark brown head that didn't really last very long and also did little in the way of lacing. It still freaks my neighbors out when they see me drinking something that resembles motor oil and I call it "beer".

It smelled much like a chocolate stout should. Kind of a toasted chocolate combination.

Not as sweet as I was expecting, definitely not as sweet as Youngs, and a bit more bitter as well. It had a definite hop flavor toward the end as well.

it seemed a bit thin to me, not as thick and creamy as I would have liked, but not bad at all.

I can see me drinking this once in a while, but probably not on a too regular basis.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Wow what a surprise to try this Chocolate craft ale! It is quite similar to some interesting desert ales that I tried in Prague once.
a - dark with nice foam
s- here is where you get salivating. It is quite a chocolaty aroma.
t- bold, flavourful and rich
a- leaves you with a nice feeling afterward.

This would be something you would serve at the end of the night after dinner. I probably would serve this to newbies on holiday events.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Beautiful dark/rich color coming out of the bottle with about 1 - 1.5" creamy head. The chocolate/coffee like aroma is strong but not overbearing. As soon as you take your first sip, the thick texture fills your mouth and the great flavors follow. Strong chocolate malty flavors that are really fulfilling.

I only had Pale Ales & IPAs in my fridge and I was filling something thicker. I went out to get this and it is really satisfying my palate right about now. Not the first or last time I will have this great beer.

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%

This was my first Stout experience. Wow just a good good beer. The chocolate was a pleasent suprise, not too overpowering, but the way this brewer incorporates the sweet with the dark and full flavor is amazing. It is a strong beer, but the chocolate and carmel hints make it a truely unique experience.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

A - Excellent 3 Finger head, light brown/caramel color. Dark opaque black appearance. This is what a stout should look like.

S - Rich Chocolate malt, slight caramel hint as well.

T - Wow. Just how it should be. sweet dark chocolate taste accompanied by subtle hop bitterness. this beer really stands out of the competition.

M - Creamy goodness. light carbonation makes it impressively smooth and coats the pallet well.

O - I have had better stouts. but as far as a chocolate stout, this is coming up first. the amount of chocolate used was perfect and allowed the beer stay true to what a stout is all about.

Bottle poured into pint glass.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I haven't had this one in awhile, I figured I would get another and enjoy it. It truly tastes like a melted Hershey's bar with alcohol. Easily one of the top 10 offerings from Rogue Brewing.

Poured very black with a big head that subsided over time. Retention was not impressive.

Nose: Roasted chocolate, milder than I would have thought from reading other reviews, and faintly alcoholic. Slight coffee bean aroma.

Slick smooth mouth feel- not chewy. A lot lighter than I would have thought for a stout. Malts predominate along with a mild chocolate, which could have been more pronounced. Moderate carbonation. Slight bitterness of hops emerges more as the brew warms.

3.73/5  rDev -11%

I had this from a 22oz bomber bottle. Poured an almost black liquor with a one finger off white head that dissipated almost immediately. The smell was reminicent of earthy and chocolatey tones. There is an initial bitterness that quickly turns to a smokey choclate flavor. It lingers in the mouth for a while. The mouthfeel is quite heavy. This is definitely not your watery yellow fizzy beer !

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Poured a dark black, very dark indeed. Subtle mocha colored head which left traces on the glass. Smelled of cocoa, coffee, and smoke. Taste was not dominated by chocolate at all, which was a relief. Nice balance of malts, with the cocoa becoming noticeable after swallowing. I've had chocolate stouts before and was disappointed. Not with this. One of the best of its kind out there.

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

I've had a few chocolate stouts and this one is slightly underwhelming, compared mostly with the outrageous Choklat by Southern Tier. The appearance is great, showing thick and dark with a light brown 1/4 inch head (poured into a snifter). Mouthfeel is good, but a bit thin and bubbly. The smell is light chocolate, which, when tasted, translates about the same: a tad underwhelming. A mild hoppy character comes in towards the end to cut a bit of the up front, malty sweetness, which creates a good balance. This is definitely an above average example of the style, but it didn't make me say "Wow!" or "This is "World Class.""

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

A -- A nice rich chocolate brown; decent head on the pour from the bottle; can't wait to take a sip of this inviting-looking pint

S -- Can smell the chocolate in this beer but not over-whelming...makes you want to take a first sip.

T -- Definetely a strong taste of cocoa; very rich and flavorful; comfortable but not overwhelming. Makes you want to take another sip...

M -- Smoothe and rich; easy on the mouth like velvet...

D -- Easy to drink at an enjoyable pace. Had two of these and it was totally enjoyable...not too heavy or overwhelming. Jusy enjoyable. I love a stout and this is one of my favorites thus far.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales