Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,966 | Reviews: 1,891

A- black as night with a dark brown head.
S- Deep chocalte smell. hints of coffee and malt.
T- WOW!!! the chocalate is impressive, intense, and perfectly balanced with a subtle bitter hop taste.
MF- all incompasing, palatte coating, chocalate blast.
d- utterly drinkable. it is like dessert in a bottle.

This is a beautiful brew that taste amazing. ive never had a beer with this much well balanced chocalate flavor. im not even a chocalate fan generally, but this brew is amazing. i fell in love with this the first time i had one, and i continue to buy this brew. no matter what your into, please try this brew, it is a classic! My personal favorite.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

A: Very dark appearance, almost jet black with a brownish hue. Love the color.

S: In short, a great chocolate smell with dark malt and hops. Some nutty molasses in there as well.

T: I was a little skeptical of a chocolate Beer but Surprisingly it was blended well. You taste the chocolate mostly when it first hits your tongue and on the aftertaste. I like how you can taste the chocolate but it doesn't overpower it at all. Great brewing if you ask me. An awesome winter Beer to be savored.

M: Wow, I was surprised on how smooth this Beer was. Phenomenal texture, so creamy. I think the chocolate really comes through on the mouthfeel.

D: I could drink a lot of this, I don't want to put it down.

I highly recommend this beer if you are a fan of dark beers, it really is liquid gold. Awesome Beer.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours thick black with a chocolate brown head. Even when held right up to a lamp no light is coming through this bad boy.

Smells like chocolate! Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! No suprise here. Just a hint of roasted malt.

Taste starts off with a tiny burnt/roasted malt bitter bite followed by a very silky chocolate taste. Almost like a hot coco powder but more towards the dark chocolate side. Not overly sweet or heavy. The best part is that it tastes like real chocolate unlike some beers that have the chocolate name in their label.

The mouthfeel is very smooth and milk like with just a hint of carbonation. Suprisingly light as it sits in your belly which is great because I could sip this all night long.

As far as chocolate beers go, this is the best I have had. Makes an excellent dessert by itself but I am sure it would go excellent with a slice of chocolate cake (perhaps it would even make a good cake!). Go out and find one if you haven't because this is what a chocolate beer should be!

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

A-Nice and dark, think creamy brown head that stays.

S-Wow! Chocolate, a tad roasty with a slight hop bitterness.

T-Nice full body, I can really taste the chocolate, as above a tad roasty.

What a great stout, the first few are very drinkable, after that I start getting a tad full. It was a realy treat to find this on tap.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Black, and a nice two finger brown head.

S - The only chocolate stout I have been able to smell chocolate in.

T - Unsweetened bakers chocolate and roasted malts,as with the smell I was able to taste the chocolate right from the start.

M - Smooth, dry on the finish.

D - Easily the best chocolate stout I have had, and very easy to drink. I would get it if you want a chocolate stout that tastes like chocolate.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

A- A dark brown pour reveals superb lacing and a solid head. Not as dark as some other stouts.

S- Notable aroma of sweet chocolate, a bit of roasted barley and light malt notes.

T- Whoa, chocolate. This might sound strange, but it reminds me of tootsie rolls. I wonder if the chocolate flavor is too dominant, and that it might be somewhat cloying. Perhaps this stout is somewhat one dimensional, or maybe it just seems that way when inevitably compared with Rogue's Shakespeare stout.

M- Not as heavy as one would expect, but a solid creamy feel that compliments the taste well.

D- Somewhat sweet, which could make it hard to drink too many. Of course, it's price keeps one from drinking too many. A solid beer overall.

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Thick and oil looking. Pitch black - can not see any light through the glass. Beautiful appetizing looking head. Lacing is very nice.
S - First thing that hits you is the chocalate notes. There is def some cocoa and raisins as well.
T - Chocolate and coffee notes pop out and stand on your tongue. Alcohol is evident but nicely hidden. Very tasty.
M - is thick but not overwhelming. Feels nice for an american stout. Could be a touch more chewy.
D - is very nice. Goes down well. Nice and thick - not extremel overwhelming. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming.

Overall a very tasty and solid stout. Would def buy again.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

poured from bottle into glass.

a- near black in color. i finger dark tan head.

s- rich cocolate aroma

t- full bodied, roasted dark chocolate taste with hints of coffee flavor.

m- mild carbonation. thick creamy taste.

d- very drinkable. goes down fairly slow, but i am lifting the glass for another swig almost immediately after i set it back down on the table. would have another.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a dark brown, nearly black. The bottle calls it an 'ebony'. For a chocolate stout I find it as dark as it should be.

Smells like chocolate, chocolate, and dark chocolate.

Taste is not quite as chocolate but still there is chocolate. Hops and some malts. 90% chocolate, 9% hops, and the 1% rest. A nice overall pleasing taste, tastes much like Deschutes Brewery Obsidian Stout.

Solid mouthfeel; perhaps just a tiny bit over carbonated but it must suffice and the mouthfeel is still great.

Nearly to easy to drink. Could easily finish off two bombers in an hour. This is a nice strong brew.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Dark Chocolate - with understandable choco bitterness on end - one of our tasters thought the chocolate was more like cough syrup - but he is old. 2 out of three liked it - the third (the old man) walked out and we haven't seen him since.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Over-hopped from my perspective - a "flaw" in some Stone brews. I can't help but feel it would soar if toned down just a bit. Even after several tries, the unpleasant bitterness lingers to make the drinkability rating mediocre (I've enjoyed barleywines that didn't suffer from this limitation) Maybe it's just me and my sweet-longing palatal proclivity. Decent numbers all-around otherwise. I'll give this contender a few more go's at it before giving up. You never know.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance
Very dark brown, opaque. At the very edge of the glass a slight brown/ruby color can be seen. Soft, creamy looking head that dissipates nearly entirely, but clings to the edge of the glass. Left little to no lacing on my glass.
4/5

Aroma
Thick, and heavy with the smell of chocolate. Not a coco smell, but the smell of chocolate syrup. No hop aroma at all.

Flavor
Light, roasted barley with a slight crispness. Flavor is clean and free of esters. The chocolate flavor is not as overwhelming as the aroma would suggest. Carbonation is on the smoother side, pleasant, and not too abrasive. Has a smooth, creamy finish, and the roasted chocolaty flavors finish well with a pleasant slightly bitter aftertaste. Could have slightly more body in the flavor and mouthfeel, and perhaps just a hint of acidity or sourness to balance the bittersweet chocolate flavor.

BJCP Style
Aroma 5/5
Appearance 4.5/5
Flavor 4/5
Mouthfeel 4/5
Overall Style 4.375/5

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Apearence: Dark black! I held it up to a light and saw nothing but blackness. Great head formed and left a nice lace as I sipped down the beer.

Smell: The first smell was full of malt tones with some slight hints of toffee. My first thought was "wow....they found a way to make a beer that tastes like an ice cream sunday". I'm getting very excited!!

Taste: The frist sip had hints of un-sweatened chocolate. Soon after the toffee flavor fights it's way back to the palate. A slight hop bitterness is present and it finds a great way to mixs with the chocolate/toffee flavors.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth as it rolls across my mouth. The carbonation is definitely noticable, but not too overpowering.

Drinkability: I think it goes without saying that if a beer reminds me of a sunday....it's very drinkable. I'm a big fan!!

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

I would put this Rogue beer on top of my favourite chocolate beers. Right along with Lost Coast Chocolate Porter.

The joy began right after opening the bottle. It pours a dark body and thick head that settled rather quickly.
Full body / chocolate smell is heavily present right after opening and in the glass. It has a nice smell that does not overtake the quality of the beer.
A very enjoyable beer, very smooth, full chocolate body, does not leave any bad aftertaste. A near perfect mix of chocolate malt and barley.

A good beer to share with people interested in discovering something new and appealing. Have yet to find any food I could pair it with. I thought about trying saltine with good Belgian chocolate, but was afraid it might ruin the enjoyment of the beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A - This is by far the darkest, most opaque beer I've ever encountered. Just for kicks I turned off the lights and held a laser pointer to the other side of the mug. Nothing came through. Nothing. The head was a thick froth, akin to what you would see on the top of a good expresso.

S - Cocoa absolutely dominates. A blind smell test would overwhelmingly say that this was a high-grade, bittersweet chocolate bar... and in this case that's a very good thing.

T - A surpisingly well balanced stout with good malt base. Of course the brew has very strong chocolate overtones, but nothing about the flavor seems unbalanced. Biased towards the cocoa, yes, but the flavor just works.

M - A good chewy texture with subdued fizz that gently coats the mouth.

D - Despite the strong flavors and full texture, this is a marvelously easy beer to drink. Additionally, this beer is an absolute desert. I would rather have a mug of this at the end of a meal than a dessert served on a plate.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

This is going to be a very unorthodox review.

I poured a 22oz chocolate stout into a soft drink cup in the gas station where I got it because I wanted to instantly drink it and Starkville has a 0 tolerance drinking-in-the-street law.

The color was very dark and rich - motor oil.

The smell was quite strong, extreme chocolate.

The taste was what I expected from the smell, almost like a chocolate malt from your local creamery.

For a stout this was surprisingly drinkable. I could probably drink three before I felt like I ate a loaf of bread.

I was wearing a big red cat head, and in order to keep my anonymity I drank this through a straw. I couldn't tell it was a beer, it tasted exactly like a chocolate malt.

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%

Very dark in appearance & nice aroma. Huge creamy head & medium body, but the flavors did not taste at all integrated. Each sip tasted like a dark beer, but then the chocolate aftertaste lingeredfor what seemed like forever. I like dark beer & I like chocolatr, but this combo was not appealing to me. And while the label lists "natural chocolate flavoring", it tasted artificial to me. Not a beer I would seek out.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%

22oz Bottle

A - Black with a mocha brown head

S - Almost only Chocolate

T - Very strong Chocolate flavor, slightly Oatey

M - Lighter than expected, perfectly carbonated

D - Delicious! Very deserving of the high remarks garnered here. Filling as stouts tend to be, but my only regret is that I didn't buy more than two!

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

My wife and I have tried this one several times,including buying it from the local Whole Foods where it is kept cold, and well it has been bitter every time -so it is either my wife and I's taste buds or just the way this one is. Everything else about it is pretty good - juts always seems to be bitter.

2.85/5  rDev -31.3%

I was really excited to try this beer. It came in a huge 22 oz. bottle and I got a huge 16 oz glass with it.

A: Dark black, with a great, foamy, tan head. The head lasted a bit, and it lingered on the sides of the glass as I drank it.

S: Beer had the strongest chocolate smell. Really, it smelled like a chocolate bar! I was so excited to drink it after smelling it, so I was so disappointed when...

T:...the taste was overwhelmingly bitter. It was so bitter that I couldn't taste any sweetness at all. I let it warm up a bit and ate some pizza to try and tease out some flavors, but got nothing. All I could taste was bitter, bitter, and more bitter aftertaste lingering on my tongue, so that I didn't even look with delight to the next sip. All I kept thinking was, "well, I gotta finish the beer."

M: It's smooth, like Guinness, and almost as thick and heavy as a Gunness. It wasn't heavily carbonated at all.

D: The bitter aftertaste was just too much for me. I finished the bottle only because I hate to waste beer. I've tasted great chocolate stouts, and I wouldn't reccomend this to anyone. The only reason it has a good grade at all is because it looks and smells really good.

2.91/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured from a bomber into a wide mouth wine glass

A: Dark brown/Black. No lacing. Very thin head that dissipates as the beer sits.

S: Great smelling stout. Dark chocolate, cola, vanilla bean.

T: Flat. Could use more carbonation. Nice mellow chocolate up front and at finish.

M: Very light for a stout. Not much staying power

D: Easy to drink because there is not a lot going on.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I had this a couple nights ago and lost my notes, thanks to a couple 90 minute IPAs.

A. The first thing that I noticed as I poured this into the snifter the bar provided was that it was difficult to see through even as it was coming out of the bottle. It was as black as dark chocolate with a hint of brown (although that may have been the lighting).

S. There was nothing remarkable in the smell except the chocolate coming through.

T. Chocolate. Chocolate malts. Chocolate candies. Chocolate bars. It started heavy on chocolate, had a slight bitterness to the middle, and finished strong dark chocolate. Too bitter for a buddy of mine, but the bitterness isn't what stands out.

M. I'm surprised at how light the body to this was after pouring it. I was expecting (and almost wanting) a much thicker beer, but alas this was medium bodied and smooth.

D. The drinkability is frightening. Not even being a chocolate person (I don't like coffee either, but I love good Imperial Stouts), I easily could have gone through a second 22 oz. bottle if the bar hadn't served me the last one.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

This is bar far the best stout I have had, and everywhere I go I make an attempt to try any stout I find. The beer pours up with a monstrous tan head, maybe 2-3 fingers, with a pitch black body. The mouth feel is very creamy like, fairly thick but good. Taste is what you would expect, dark chocolate, coffee, the smokey aftertaste, not too much though. I have had many "chocolate stout" beers and this one is one the the few I have had that really has the feel taste of chocolate. Overall this beer is one of my go to stouts anytime, awesome beer!

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

Was expecting more chocolate flavor. Strong chocolate smell.

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

After seeing how highly rated this offering was, I had to try one. My only other experience with chocolate stouts was Young's, which I enjoyed a lot.

poured out pitch black with a very dark brown head that didn't really last very long and also did little in the way of lacing. It still freaks my neighbors out when they see me drinking something that resembles motor oil and I call it "beer".

It smelled much like a chocolate stout should. Kind of a toasted chocolate combination.

Not as sweet as I was expecting, definitely not as sweet as Youngs, and a bit more bitter as well. It had a definite hop flavor toward the end as well.

it seemed a bit thin to me, not as thick and creamy as I would have liked, but not bad at all.

I can see me drinking this once in a while, but probably not on a too regular basis.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales