Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -12%

Picked this up a while ago at Binnys. Finally got around to it. Served in a Pisgah pint glass.

A - Pours with two fingers of dark mocha foam that dissipates fairly quickly to a thickish cap. There are a few tiny specks of lace. Body is a super dark brown that is only a tiny bit lighter with a touch of reddish glow at the fringes.

S - Huge cocoa smell - reminds me of Hershey's chocolate syrup. There's also a nice amount of roastiness and some floral hops, but milk chocolate is incredibly intense and just takes over. I don't even know if I'd be able to tell if this was beer if you gave it to me blind. It's a little mono-dimensional, but it doers exactly what it sets out to do.

T - The taste is a big step down - light cocoa, roasted malts, and a strange earthy and slightly unpleasant aftertaste. I'm not sure if that's what Rogue describes as "chocolate truffle finish", but it tastes like dirt to me. The initial taste is more of a 3.5/4.0 but the aftertaste drags it down.

M - Higher carbonation than I'd expect - tingles a little and burns a touch at the back end. Medium body that is fairly smooth once the carbonation dies down. Lots of residual stickiness that unfortunately carries that weird aftertaste with it (although I'm not going to punish the mouthfeel for the taste).

D - The ABV is low and well-hidden, and the carbonation, while higher, isn't bloaty. I just can't deal with that weird aftertaste, although it dissipates quickly enough that the beer is still fairly drinkable (and you can always drink more to cover it up!).

3.34/5  rDev -19.5%

Aroma - Roasted malts like crystal malts to be specific.

Appearance - Dark brown with a brown tan head that quickly dissipated.

Taste - Roasted malt and then tons of bitter hops and chocolate. Maybe too much bitterness for my taste. I think I'm too sensitive to hops to enjoy this beer. Not enough of the roasted malts to redeem this for me.

Notes - Good mouthfeel with a decent level of carbonation.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

Going into this, I can tell this is going to be a good beer. Wow, the smell definitely gives off a coco aroma. Pours a solid, heavy brown head. Collapses down into the glass with depressions forming as the head dissipates. Pours a dark black.

First sip gives a sharp cocoa taste, closing with a slightly sweeter note. The aftertaste takes a bit of getting used to. Not to say that it isn't unpleasant, it's actually quite nice. But it can be a bit intimidating at first.

Body is very fulfilling. Has a great feel in the mouth. Carbonation is just enough, not too bubbly, not too flat. Everything just seems to click with this beer. It is everything that it promises and more. I've learned to respect Rogue beers, and this beer does everything to re-enforce that view, and more.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Tried a few weeks back, but I hadn't gotten around to reviewing it until now for various reasons. Dark ruby brown with a thick brown head that left good lacing. Smells of dark chocolate and a slight bit of coffee in the background. Tastes like unsweetened dark chocolate (awesome) and had a bit of a roasted character to it, with some notes of coffee and dark fruitiness to compliment the chocolatey body. Surprisingly smooth, with good carbonation- not too heavy, leaving you to enjoy it at your own pace. It went down very easily, while still retaining full character. I did use a good portion of the bottle to make two floats (received as payment for moving a couch for my brother's girlfriend) and was able to get an ample review from the remainder of the bottle poured into a pint glass. Once you've had this, you won't even be able to look at a Guinness again.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Served in pint glass.

Pours pitch black, with a thick, creamy mocha head. Retention is excellent with very thick lacing.

Hints of rich, smooth dark chocolate are immediately discernible, followed by hints of carob and raw cacao.

Roasty, smoky dark chocolate flavors are most prominent. A sweet, powdery cocoa-like flavor backs up the darker chocolate. Subtle notes of coffee and fig are also present. Smooth, slightly dry, clean finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean and very smooth, with mild carbonation. Delicious on the palate. A heartier presence was expected.

Very delicious. I imagine, with chocolate cheesecake or chocolate brulee, it would make for a most decadent dessert.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

appearance: sticky head and creamy froth deep dark brown,nearly ebony

smell: subtle dark roasted coffee and dark chocolate. a little disapointing. Nice hot cocoa hot aroma

taste: subtle cocoa which i was suprised. i was expecting more choocoalte, but a nice stout

mouthfeel: medium to full bodied

drinkability: a nice beer not as chocolatley as I may have thought but still a solid beer.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Bomber poured into tulip glass.

Appearance - Very dark, nearly black with mocha head. Head is almost an inch think in the tulip glass with decent retention. Looks stunning,

Smell - Immediate chocolate aroma, actually smells like a malted chocolate frappe, but not as sweet. I can not detect any hop aroma.

Taste - Taste like chocolate, with further hints of chocolate. Some bitterness, I can not believe the bottle states 69 IBU, which leads me to believe that this beer is very well balanced between the sweet and bitter. This beer is absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth, great lingering aftertaste, my only slightly negative comment could be possible over carbonation.

Drinkability - Very easy to consume, and yes please, I will have another.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance is jet black with a medium brown head. Dark malt and cocoa combination smells very similar to a tootsie roll with the slightest hints of pine and mustiness. A taste brings molasses, milk chocolate, slight roasted coffee flavors. Loads of chocolate, but not overly sweet and finishes dry. The feel is medium bodied for the style and a little heavy on the carbonation. Despite the deluge of chocolate flavor, I found this to be a very drinkable, and maybe more so than most in its class.

This is a unique beer - one that is extremely chocolaty, yet not so sweet and syrupy that it takes away from its drinkability.

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

22 ounce bomber poured into a Unibroue tulip. Beige head one finger thick is imploding from within as if its the surface of some other planet, yet to be discovered. Body is black as the night itself. Aroma is chocolate, or more accurately as the bottle describes...chocolate truffle. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. I would estimate that this bottle is one year old by the amount of yeast sediment/buildup at the bottom of the bottle...the perfect age for this slow to attenuate chocolate stout. Taste is creamy and smooth with some mild hops and mild alcohol heat. Some coffee notes, but mainly just chocolaty greatness. This is the best chocolate stout on Earth.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is a a dark opaque black with a huge light brown/tan head that slowly settles and has great retention. Nice sticky lacing.

Smell is quite potent with rich milk chocolate and cocoa as well.

Taste is a wonderful! Now this is what I want to taste in a beer with the word chocolate on the label. A combination of sweet milk chocolate and a nice roasted dark chocolate malt bitterness towards the end. This is just about chocolate desert in liquid form to me. Very rich and pleasant!

Mouthfeel is full bodied, nice and smooth. Cream with a mild amount of carbonation. Feels very nice on the tongue.

Drinakability in a word, fantastic! This is by far one of the best stouts I've ever had. It goes down very nicely and leaves me wanting to grab another bottle. I could drink this all night and if it were in six pack from, an instant session beer for me.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

I can't say I'm overall truly impressed with this beer, I like it fine but there's several things working against it to make it great. If you're reading this on a smart phone at a liquor store, just buy this beer; Rogue Chocolate Stout is worth trying. I will probably try this again in the future and I may update my review accordingly, but let's get into it.

The pour was actually disappointing, there was less than one finger's worth of head. The head was a nice brown color and the beer was a thick black, with some moderate lacing. The smell may have been my favorite thing about this beer. Rogue's Chocolate Stout smells like a fine dessert, there's some definite notes of cocoa powder, roasted malts and - of course - chocolate. The taste however is not very stoutish, it seems very watered down. There's some hop notes, chocolate, hints of vanilla,

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Served in a pint glass.

All is pretty standard for a hopsy stout. Nice dark body with a somewhat dissapointingly small amount of caramel colored head that leaves a nice, delicate lacing as you drink. The smell is very intricate, if a little too faint for me. Lots of smells: cocoa powder, vanilla, hops, roasted malt; all are very well balanced and leave a nice, faint auroma in your nose. I just wish there was a bit more robustness. The taste is good but not surprising or astounding. The hops, always well done in Rogue products, really take center stage and really leave the faint chocolate flavors as more of a side note. But still... good. It feels fine enough, though it is a little watery for my taste in stouts. Little carbonation is present. So all in all, a good drink and a good beer. I understand it in those terms but not as a top 100 beer and certainly not as the best Rogue has to offer.

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a black brew, with tan massive chunky head - could float a bottle cap on it. Very nice looking brew. Nice sticky lace.

Smells awesome - chocolate, roasted; oats, barley, hops damn good smelling brew.

Brew taste very smooth, very complex and balanced. You get the roasted flavors, the chocolate, slightly bitter aftertaste.

This brew is a true treat to the palate, a superb stout that could go great after dinner. But hell why not make a session of it - I sure would. Superb.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

This is going to be a very unorthodox review.

I poured a 22oz chocolate stout into a soft drink cup in the gas station where I got it because I wanted to instantly drink it and Starkville has a 0 tolerance drinking-in-the-street law.

The color was very dark and rich - motor oil.

The smell was quite strong, extreme chocolate.

The taste was what I expected from the smell, almost like a chocolate malt from your local creamery.

For a stout this was surprisingly drinkable. I could probably drink three before I felt like I ate a loaf of bread.

I was wearing a big red cat head, and in order to keep my anonymity I drank this through a straw. I couldn't tell it was a beer, it tasted exactly like a chocolate malt.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Guinness tulip glass. No date. The body was clear of sediment, but a good deal of sludge remained in the bottom of the bottle. Dark brown with red highlights. The creamy tan head left sheets of lace.

Smell was chocolate pudding. Grains a cocoa powder. An interesting root-beer aroma developed as it warmed. Unusual but pleasant.

Taste was rich chocolate with a nice bitter finish. Creamy milky cocoa. Just enough hops presence to prevent the sweetness from becoming cloying.

Mouthfeel was dessert-like. Creamy medium to full body with enough zippy carbonation to cleanse the palate.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

On the last beer tasting evening with rvdoorn, he showed up with this big bottle of chocolate stout. I expected a lot from it considering the ratings.

A: BLACK it is! with a thick brown head.

S: CHOCOLATE... overpowering. Some roasted malts in the back and a hint of vanilla.

T: Very fatty milk chocolate. Much too intense for my likes. Roasted malts and a citrus/vanilla aftertaste.

M: Oily, medium carbonation and a light body.

D: Well, not my style at all. I like stouts were the chocolate tones comes naturally. It often takes brewers ages to get that refined taste. This is a quick shot and therefor highly unbalanced. Will not drink this again. For me adding huge amounts of chocoalte is the same as adding chemicals to beer.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark black color; no light. Poured a 3 finger chocolate head (aggressive pour too) with good retention. Lots of sticky lacing.

S: Big toasted malts; malty Chocolate and burnt bitter coffee with some roasted nuts. Hops more prominent as the beer warmed.

T: Big toasted/burnt malt up front. Big and rich flavors throughour. Chocolate lingererd a bith through a sharply bitter finish.

M: Medium to full body. Low carbonation. Smooth and silky up to the dry bitter finish.

D: A deliciously drinkable stout. Very flavorful and nicely balanced.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Chocolate stouts, Yummy, I really had a lot of good ones from the UK, so can wait to try my first chocolate stout from the US! Shared the bottle with PapaEugene.
Poured into a palm glass. The beer pours a very black color (no light comes true) with a great light-brown, fluffy head, and a very stable and sticky lacing.

Smell: Very strong (artificial) chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, some roasted malts and vanilla.

Taste: Full of cheap supermarket chocolate taste (the one that has more fat in it than cacao). Much more roasted malts present than the smell indicates. Coffee, citrus (orange). Aftertaste is bitter, dry with long lasting vanilla.

Mouthfeel: a bit fatty, thin-bodied with medium-carbonation.

Overall: This is not what I expect from a chocolate stout. I expect a balanced beer, where the chocolate taste comes from a careful an long lasting selection, optimization and combination of the correct malts which give the chocolate taste to beer. I read on the bottle that the brewers ADDED chocolate to this beer. Come on, amateurs, take your time to brew a beer with a natural chocolate taste, instead of mimicking one. Call some brewers in the UK (e.g. Sam Smith), they might be able to help you, because they have centuries of experience. This a for me a typical bigger, better faster beer....what a shame. Beer should be a natural product....

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured into snifter from a 22 ounce bomber.

A: Dark black in color. Nice thick light brown foamy head. Looks great. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass as I drink it.

S: Malty Chocolate smell. Smells delicious.

T: First taste is burnt malt. The finish is bitter with a sweet Chocolate aftertaste.

M: Smooth and creamy. Medium body.

D: A very drinkable stout. I will have plenty of these stocked in my fridge for the fall. Goes great with the Milk Duds I am eating.

This is my favorite beer from Rogue out of all of them I tried. Much better then the Mocha porter that they offer.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured this into a Magic Hat Number 9 pint glass.

A: Lots of carbonation and the pour is difficult as a result. Had to spend a lot of time waiting for the 4-5 inches of head to subside before I could get myself a full serving poured. Opaque black with a thick dark head. As a result of the tough pour, the lacing comes in thick gobby rings around the top of the glass, subsiding to a more standard stout lacing of cascading streams of bubbles as I get closer to the bottom.

S: Bitter dark chocolate and roasted malts. Undertones of Williamette hops add a nice bitterness to this aroma. The background flavor is a sweeter malty aroma, coming through the bitterness.

T: Taste starts with a ton of dark chocolate character against the background of roasted malts. The bitterness provided by the good hopping of this beer is almost reminiscent of a RIS. The flavor moves from dark chocolate up front to a sweet milk chocolate in the finish.

M/D: Smooth and creamy feel towards the back, as the front is more biting with the higher level of carbonation. The texture is heavy and thick despite the lower alcohol content. A good one to share, this one is extremely rich, and proves to be a lot.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

22 oz bottle
poured into a stein.

A: very dark almost black with a thick tan head.

S: Strong chocolate smell, almost a bakers chocolate. This smell was pretty overwhelming for me, so I couldn't really smell much else.

T: Creamy chocolate with a slight bitter after taste with hints of roasted flavors, very full flavor.

M: Very full body with a nice smoothness to it, not too carbonated.

D: Goes down very smooth, would definitely buy more when I get a chance.

Notes : Over all a good brew, not the best stout I have had. But the first chocolate stout I have had. Loved the smell, which is weird because I am not huge on chocolate. Going to try it with some sort of dessert next time.

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a bottle into a dogfish head signature glass.

The pour is a black/deep brown that has a thin mocha head. The head leaves a bubbly lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is all milk chocolate and roasted malts. There isn't much else to it, but the chocolate is very strong and inviting.

The taste follows the smell pretty closely, with a lot of milk chocolate and some astringent roasted coffee and dark chocolate in the finish.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin for a stout, but the carbonation matches the flavors well and the beer is very drinkable.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Rogue Ales - Chocolate Stout is an American Stout style made with Northwest Harrington and Klages, Crystral 135-165, Beeston Chocolate, rolled oats, and barley malts; Cascade hops; imported Dutch bitter-sweet chocolate adjuncts; Rogue's Pacman yeast, and "free-range coastal water" (as opposed to the domesticated variety I guess...). It is 15 degrees Plato (a measure of the dissolved solids in beer), 69 IBU, 77 AA (Apparent Attenuation), and 135 degrees Lovibond (a measure of color mostly replaced by the Standard Reference Method {SRM}).

Rogue - Chocolate Stout poured with an opaque, ebony color that revealed ruby notes when held to a light. It had a chocolate-brown, creamy, slightly sweet head with a deep, semi-sweet to bitter-sweet chocolate nose. It had a crisp feeling on the tongue and the back of the throat that accompanied a crisp flavor of bitter-sweet chocolate and left a bitter / residual alcohol finish.

This was a good beer but not exactly what I was expecting. By no means a statement about the quality of this beer of course, just that my taste leans more toward a sweeter and chocolaty flavor in this style. Remember, taste is highly subjective!

I wish you Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.
The Cap'n
uscaptainsblog.blogspot.com

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

650ml bomber. I've always liked this one, even shared it with my own mother, for heaven's sake. Time to get to a review, methinks.

This beer pours an opaque black, er, colour, with ever so slight reddish cola edges, and three fingers of puffy, thickly foamy, and billowy tan head, which leaves some continental drift map lace around the glass as it slowly sinks away.

It smells of slightly roasted caramel malt, bittersweet milk chocolate powder, cafe-au-lait, a bit of gritty indistinct graininess, and some earthy, grassy hops. The taste is surprisingly edgy dark chocolate, sweet milk solids, lightly toasted caramel malt, a touch of hard toffee, and moderately bitter leafy, weedy hops.

The carbonation is soft and generally just supportive, the body a decent medium weight, well smooth, and more than a bit creamy, those oats representing tough. It finishes off-dry, of course, the chocolate and milky essences persisting as the hops come full 'round to play in this particular confectioners' wet dream.

A nicely balanced affair, something I wasn't exactly expecting - the hops keep the pushy bittersweet chocolate in check, making for a comfortable, easy-drinking stout - provided you have a chocolate sweet tooth, that is. One of Rogue's better offerings.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

22 oz. bottle

A: 1 finger of head with a dark chocolate color; little to no carbonation rising, head retains well.

S: Chocolate cream smell with a mild char aroma - very pleasant.

T: Char chocolate taste with a bitter yet creamy finish. Cocoa and cream flavor on the palate - this beer also has a unique roasted flavor. The tastes meld well and this is an enjoyable brew.

M: Average mouthfeel, little bit fizzy on the palate but very nice smooth finish.

D: Pretty drinkable, gets better as it warms.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales