Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
John_M

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this on tap at Max's the other night.

The beer pours an impressive brooding black color with a creamy, coffee colored head. There is good head retention and lacing, and as already noted, the beer looks impressive. The nose is pretty complex on this beer, with obvious chocolate, but with some underlying citrusy bitterness. The beer really doesn't smell very malty and/or sweet, and as it turned out, it wasn't. On the palate this beer is pretty intriguing. On the initial taste the chocolate flavor is really in your face, but after that I didn't notice it so much. The chocolate, along with what sweetness there is, can be tasted on the front palate, but then the hops come on strong, leading to a very dry, somewhat citrusy bitter finish. Mouthfeel is pretty good, though it doesn't have the plush creaminess of Stone RIS, KBS or Dark Lord, to name a few. The beer finishes very nicely, and given the relatively low alcohol, I found the beer to be pretty drinkable. There is a touch of licorise and burnt toast at the very end, which is really the only detraction in this otherwise very impressive beer from Rogue.

Recommended.

01-11-2008 21:36:52 | More by John_M
k3n

3.33/5  rDev -20%

22 oz bomber. Poured into a Delrium tulip.

A: Black. Opaque. Really opaque-ly black. 2 fingers of mocha-colored head that fades down to a sheet of bubbles, leaving a solid film of lace.

S: Semi-sweet baker's chocolate. Can't smell much else.

T: Roasty. Big hit of bitter-sweet chocolate. A drying hop astringency at the end.

M: A bit of a fake-out here. Starts big with all the roastiness, but peters out pretty quickly. The hop bitterness in the end cuts the mouthfeel down sharply.

D: It's good, but not blowing up my skirts. I think I liked the Hazelnut Nectar a bit more.

01-11-2008 05:10:49 | More by k3n
Overlord

2.17/5  rDev -47.8%

Wow. No me gusta.

Pours an opaque black, thin light tan head. Surprisingly thin mouthfeel. Actually smells okay, nice and chocolatey.

Taste is milk chocolate, maybe a bit of roasted malt (the chocolate is completely overwhelming), and a horrible, horrible bitter after-taste. It's actually giving me a stomach ache. I don't know what it is, but the sensation I'd describe is that it is like drinking burnt, bitter chocolate in liquid form. Oddly enough, this is layered over an increasingly cloying chocolate sweetness.

I drainpour a beer basically never (Samuel Adams Triple Bock being the other example I can think of). A good third of this puppy went right down the sink.

01-10-2008 09:02:03 | More by Overlord
Stoneman78

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

A- Pours a brown black hue, head is a brown pillowy layer that is mostly sustaining and bouncy, thick lacing on the glass
S- Nose is big roasted chocolate and coffee malts, strong backbone of subtle hops and alcohol, there is a something a little off at the end but I cant place it
T- Initial taste is moderate roasted coffee malts, which quickly transitions to sweet milk chocolate which pervades the flavor, touch of smoke and roast in the bittersweet finish
M- Full-bodied, thick and chewy texture, ample carbonation
D- Well-balanced and smoothly sweet stout, i would have preferred a little less coffee so that the chocolate could have come through a bit more, easy-drinking at 6%, good for a treat in small quantities

01-08-2008 04:32:41 | More by Stoneman78
jporter188

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

This is an excellent Chocolate Stout. My cat likes it so I know this to be true. She drinks a little drop from my finger and if she licks her lips, I know it's good!

I poured from a bottle into my new Rogue goblet provided by my wife as a Christmas gift. The apperance is dark, definitely a little thicker than average beer, with a dark coffee color.

The smell was not strong, but it was nice. It had a nice aroma of Chocolate, but I could certainly smell some hops in there too.

The taste was perfect. I'm not even a fan of chocolate and this was delightful. It was not overwhelmingly chocolate, but definitely a hint under the hops and malt.

It was a little thicker than some other beers, but not like a Guiness. It was not as thick as milk. That was nice, because darker beers tend to be a bit heavier and this was not too heavy to drink the full 22 oz. bottle in one setting.

This was quite drinkable. As I mentioned I didn't have any problem finishing the full bottle and a full meal. I would recommend this to anyone who likes fine beers.

Overall, this is a great beer. I will definitely stock this in my personal stock on a regular basis.

01-02-2008 00:32:28 | More by jporter188
slagle9480

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

This is an excellent stout. I am beginning to fall in love with chocolate stouts.

Rogue continues to impress me with their brews. I really enjoyed this one.

The chocolate aroma was delightful even before I took my first sip.

The flavor is almost uncomparable. I drank this before a Southern Tier Choklat to decide which one I liked more.

The 6% is kinda weak but makes this beer very drinkable. I prefer the Choklat but this is hands-down my second favorite choc. stout.

You gotta try this one. Keep up the good work Rogue!

12-31-2007 15:21:08 | More by slagle9480
RblWthACoz

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

This is by far the best chocolate stout I have tried to date. (keep in mind that these reviews are off notes from long ago and my palate is much different now than then) The chocolate flavor is smooth and perfect as far as I am concerned. If there is another one out there that is better, I can’t wait to try it. As far as appearance goes it is dark brown with a thick head.

12-30-2007 04:11:00 | More by RblWthACoz
timtim

District of Columbia

black with a tan head that didn't hold as well as i was hoping, but did have pretty good staying power, and left great lace. nose was bittersweet dark chocolate, coffee, and hops. taste was just what the nose suggested, and was fairly well balanced, but the hops stood out just a little too much for my taste in a chocolate stout. nice, full body, with a little bitter finish. i believe this is a must try for a chocolate stout fan, and it won't leave you dissapointed.

12-30-2007 02:52:07 | More by timtim
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Picked up a bomber at the store.

Pours a solid black with a thick fluffy tan head that stuck around for most of the experience. Initially the smell was all citrus hops, but as it warmed a bit I started getting some chocolate and some coffee. As I write this the chocolate is taking over, smells like hershey's special dark. There is a roast bitterness in the taste, but I think some of that bitterness comes from the chocolate as well. I once homebrewed a chocolate stout with pure cacao nibs, and this has that taste that I got. Taste has some hops in it as well as that silky chocolate taste. Mouthfeel gets better as it warms, I initially thought it a bit thin. Great brew, I'm glad I chose it today.

12-27-2007 22:57:31 | More by johnnnniee
DoubleJ

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Served on-tap in a tulip during my visit at the Sunset Grill & Tap, on to the beer:

I got very little head in my glass and little lacing, but the body is pitch black and intiminating. The smell is extremely inviting, lots of sweet milk chocolate. From the aroma, I was guessing I would be drinking a chocolate shake, but my minor complaint is you can only taste the chocolate towards the end of the sip. It starts out like a stout, roasted bitterness and coffee, before you get to the gold, which is the chocolate. Despite the thick appearance, it goes down easy. I can't say I was dissapointed, I just was expected a different journey in the taste.

12-27-2007 17:05:51 | More by DoubleJ
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

The stout pours black with thin tan head, quickly dissipates into a ring. The nose is chocolate and coffee. Dark chocolate. At first taste the coffee seems stronger to me than the chocolate. Coffee bean, chocolate and some toffee. a bit of smoky flavor but not much. mouthfeel is a little thin, but sufficient. Drinkability is quite high. A smooth drink. a good one from rogue.

12-27-2007 06:48:31 | More by AKBelgianBeast
CDBeerDisappear

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Opaque black with a mocha brown head that dissipates to a layer of foam. Not a lot of lacing but it might be my new glass. The first aroma is chocolate, not chocolate malt but chocolate bar chocolate. Who doesn’t like that aroma? Tastes like chocolate and oats with a wonderfully hoppy bitter finish. Myself, I don’t detect the citrus aroma of the cascade hops that I know (from reading the label) are in there. Bitterness - yes ; citrus – no. Mouthfeel is thin and clean with enough carbonation to be refreshing. Overall a great beer, if you haven’t tried yet and intend to, you are in for a treat.

12-25-2007 04:22:27 | More by CDBeerDisappear
jeffmonarch

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev -5%

22 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice rich dark brown color with a dark brown head that stays for a while.

S - Nice rich chocolate scents.

T - Nice chocolate flavor, a little thin.

M - Good flavor and medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Good beer, good flavor, best chocolate stout second only to Brooklyn's black chocolate stout.

12-25-2007 01:16:16 | More by jeffmonarch
Squaretooth

Nebraska

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Smells of rich chocolate. Tastes every bit as good. Pours rich, dark thick, with a nice tan foamy head and very nice even lacing.

I had this in a bottle as well as on tap. Either way you can’t go wrong, but if you can find this on tap anywhere, that is the preferred way to go. Just an awesome beer and one I can drink over and over again.

12-24-2007 18:47:58 | More by Squaretooth
DrinkinBuddy

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a complete black with brown particles and 1 1/2 finger light brown head. Smell is woody slight smokey with chocolate bitterness and hop infusion. Very complex smell. Taste has a slight smooth chocolate taste with a very nice hop bitterness that compliments it very well. Mouth feel is a little thin, but thicker than a porter, so it passes with a 4.5. Drinkability is definately a 5. I could and will definately seek this chocolate stout again. A definate ace in my book.

12-23-2007 05:27:31 | More by DrinkinBuddy
Rainintheface

22oz bomber poured into SA glass

A: dark black with a two + finger tan head

S: chocolate all the way, rich chocolate aroma and oatmeal hidden in there as well

T: Ditto smell. chocolate, oats and a hint of vanilla

M: full body with a creamy texture

D: very drinkable. Too bad I split the bomber with my wife, I could have another.

12-22-2007 20:08:00 | More by Rainintheface
IntriqKen

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

While this is rated 'Outstanding", I still prefer Chocolate stouts who come by their flavors "naturally"...from the malts rather than the addition of flavors.

Pours a very black with a beautiful 2 finger milk chocolate colored head that leaves sticky mapping on the glass as you drain it.

Aroma is definitely chocolate...milk chocolate with carob aromas.

Taste is again definitely chocolate...powdered milk chocolate, carob, roasted to burnt malt, artificial vanilla tastes, lightly hopped for finishing.

Aftertaste is powdery and artificial vanilla.

Mouthfeel is too thin for what tries to come across in the flavor.
Good chocolate stout, but still artificial and disappointing to me.

12-19-2007 01:32:09 | More by IntriqKen
bunnyhustle

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from bomber into chalice and as soon as I opened it I could smell the chocolate. This is a black beer with a thick, mocha colored head, good retention and some lacing. Smell is of chocolate as expected but I was suprised to get a whiff of hops too. The hops are more pronounced when the beer is colder, as it warms the chocolate becomes dominant. Taste is of chocolate as well but a nice, rich, creamy chocolate, almost like a syrup. Some toasted grains and a tiny bit of hops (again, while its colder). Low carbonation and a thick, creamy mouthfeel. A pleasant, somewhat oily chocolate aftertaste left behind. Lower ABV makes this pretty drinkable. Overall a great beer and the best example of chocolate in beer I have tasted yet. As I review this is has a solid spot in the top 100, while I dont know if it will climb much higher, I certainly dont see it falling off the list. A true classic.

12-14-2007 02:02:43 | More by bunnyhustle
pershan

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Had this on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD

A: Black, with a dark creamy head. Nice good lacing down the glass.

S: A very discernable, actual chocolate aroma! Very cool.

T: Chocolately, roasted barley flavor with a nicely subdued hop bitterness in the background.

M: Creamy and thick, with the roasted barley aftertaste dominating.

D: An excellent stout. Maybe not quite as good as the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, but a close second. Well done.

12-12-2007 19:45:07 | More by pershan
BeerBelcher

3.05/5  rDev -26.7%

I was not greatly impressed with this beer. It certainly looked the part of a sweet stout, but the flavor and mouthfeel were very reminiscent of Yoohoo chocolate drink to me...which is to say chocolate-y (in a way) yet a bit thin and watery.

This beer certainly looks the part of a top-notch stout; it was black and opaque, although not particularly viscous. Head formation was creamy and sturdy. Aroma was chocolate-y and coffee-ish, but not overpowering. Flavor was as I said, very reminiscent of Yoohoo. Mouthfeel was a bit thin.

I’d weakly recommend this beer.

I picked up this 22oz bottle from Gary’s Liquor in Oak Creek, WI.

12-12-2007 14:44:38 | More by BeerBelcher
Floydster

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

22 ounce bottle purchased from Beverages and More in Newport Beach for five dollars, last one on the shelf

Aged six months from intial purchase, probably close to a year old, second time trying this particular beer

Poured into my Aventinus glass with a very nice black color and a monsterous tan head that was close to two inches, left lacing for up to an hour, took close to two hours to finish this because it was my last beer of the night

Smell was chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate, also some coffee and roasted malt

Taste was also dominated by chocolate, there was some hoppiness left which was odd because of the age of the bottle, it gave the beer a slightly dry finish, this one must be even hoppier fresh but I cannot quite remember the first time I drank it because it was so long ago, hints of coffee came out once the beer got even warmer but it was pretty much served at room temperature, rich and filling, I am not a big chocolate fan or sweet beers in this way but I thoroughly enjoyed this, would have again

Not much carbonation at all, but the body sure was thick and full, nice long lasting mouthfeel

Could not drink much more than a bomber of this, too heavy on the stomach, the ABV is low though, does not go down easy, most definitely a sipper and dessert beer

Another nice beer from Rogue, I liked this one better than Shakespeare and their other stouts, highly recommended, glad this one is widely available

12-09-2007 08:09:45 | More by Floydster
boogles

Kansas

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

I did not enjoy this beer. Purchased in bomber form, the beer poured nicely, but my hopes began to wane when I sniffed it. Too much chocolate. The chocolate nose reminded me of chocolate syrup for lattes, which is never as good as Hershey's syrup--which isn't very good. The taste was more offensive--like someone dumped a bunch of flavoring into what could have been a good beer. Well, someone did. Although I did not like the strength of the chocolate, it was the synthetic characteristic that I couldn't get past.

12-07-2007 23:49:00 | More by boogles
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

4.7/5  rDev +13%

A - Pours jet black with a thin brown head.

S - Bittersweet cocoa with hints of coffee and hops. The chocolate is on display here and it is delightful.

T - Delicious chocolate with a touch of coffee and bitterness from the hops.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and creamy.

D - I am not a huge chocolate fan but found this beer to be very tasty.

12-03-2007 03:16:25 | More by brewcrew76
atrus138

Kentucky

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured a bomber of this into a pint glass. Poured a thick, syrupy dark brown and left a khaki head of about an inch. Very nice looking stout. Smell is overwhelmingly chocolate, believe it or not. Very sweet smelling. Taste is a sensation of chocolates. I first noticed very sweet chocolate, like Hersey. Then it was more semi-sweet. There were also notes of very bitter chocolate, almost like coffee, like the taste of eating chocolate malt. Very complex. Very delicious. I could easily kick back and enjoy these all night.

12-03-2007 00:01:51 | More by atrus138
Reanimator

Iowa

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

A: You've got to love the bottles that Rogue designs, great aesthetic. Beer pours like chocolate syrup, a completely opaque, deep dark chocolate color almost like the bottle, with a large dense head.

S: Mighty roasted coffee aroma, with sweet chocolate undertones. Some hops are noticeable as well.

T: Bitterness of dark chocolate dominates the taste, coffee becomes the undertone. Also some fruit and hoppy notes!

M: Mouthfeel is heavy and syrupy. The first few gulps combine the syrupy feel of the beer with the creaminess of the head which reminded me of hot chocolate, very silky and smooth.

D: Took me well over an hour to finish this bomber, and it made me quite full! Both the price-tag and the novelty keep it from being a regular in my fridge, but its fun and definitely worth picking up in the future.

12-02-2007 17:21:24 | More by Reanimator