Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured a very, very dark brown and the tannish head looked good and the chocolate smell was awesome. Taste was roasted malts and hersheys chocolate upfront, beginning to end. Mouthfeel is amazing, cocoa, roastiness and a slight coffee hint but very minimal. I can drink this all day long.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared at a homebrew club meeting.

A - Poured black with a 2 fingered mocha head, which dissipated slow and left nice lacing.

S - Light roasted coffee, tons of chocolate, and a light flowery bouquet.

T - Heavy doses of chocolate, light roasted coffee, light smoke, and bttering hops.

M - Finished full-bodied, with a dry and slightly bitter aftertaste.

D - Overall great. I didn't enjoy this as much as others and would recommend using less patent. A little goes a long way.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

pours black with big pillowy 2+ finger tan head that leaves lacing all down the glass

smells like chocolate chocolate chocolate

taste is bitter chocolate and bitter hops - with a ashy bitter finish

moutfeel is kind of what kills this beer as being a great beer - it too carbonated - stouts should be smooth and creamy

drinkability is alright - its a solid stout @ 6% abv but i have had much better porters

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

a - Big brown head hangs around for a while and provides great lacing. Deep brown body is impenetrable by light.

s - Chocolate, oats, dark malts and even hops. Toasty rather than roasty, really inviting and complex.

t - Lots of chocolate but the dark malts are not washed out. Hops are very present throughout. A bit like a little powdered hot chocolate mix was added to a nice hoppy oatmeal stout.

m/d - Spot on for the style, slightly sticky but still easily drinkable on a cool summer evening. Extremely drinkable, very tasty and lowish ABV make this sessionable.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours exceptionally dark brown (not quite black) from the 22 oz. bomber. Tan head, which persists around the rim indefinitely. What sets the beer's appearance apart is its extreme opaqueness.

It smells like chocolate. Not even like chocolate notes (which is what I normally mean by the term). It actually smells like a melted bar of chocolate. It makes me worry about the beer, but it's decidedly beer-like in the taste, with some complexity. Tastes like roasted grains, but has a bittersweet chocolate taste that persists well after each sip. It's smooth, creamy.

I expected a sweeter drink when I bought it, but I'm not disappointed by this brew. Drinkable, although too much would be filling.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle Pours a nice black with a lasting tan head. The head is creamy and lasting. Produces decent lacing. Has a good aroma of chocolate. Smells like a tootsie roll. It is cool. Has a good carbonation. A wonderful outhfeel. The flavor is robustly chocolate. Well balanced and fresh. Has a thicker body. A real good finish and a nice aftertaste. This is a sweet drinking beer. Maybe not for everyone but very good. I like it a lot.

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked up a 22 oz bomber of this tonight.

A: I was outside with it right after the poor and I swear it gave off a purplish tint on the bottom of my pint glass. Maybe it was the sun going down, I don't know. It was very impressive though. It pours a dark dark brown with a thick brown head that went down after a few minutes. It kept nice lacing down the glass as I went along.

S: This smells absolutely awesome! Rich chocolaty smell. I love it!

T: This didn't taste at all like what I had expected. I thought it would be fairly sweet but you can definitely taste the stout up front. Quite a bit of bitterness to it. It leaves you with a dark chocolate flavor though, especially after taking a few deep breaths.

D: This isn't one I could drink a lot of but I'm going to remember this as an after dinner treat every now and again that I can split with the wife.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

In honor of my 1 year anniversary as a BA member, I decided to "celebrate" with a bomber of Chocolate stout. Here goes!

Pours a thick deep black with a wicked huge tan head on top. 10 minutes later, still there. Great retention. Beautiful lacing rings all over the glass. Nice historical reference of my sipping. Smells of powdered chocolate, cream, and more chocolate.

Mouthfeel is creamy, but a little on the spritzy side as well. This is the weakest aspect of this beer. Big chocolatey flavor all over this! They weren't kidding on the chocolate thing, were they? There's a touch of hop bitterness mixed in the middle, but the finish is the most pleasant mild cocoa flavor I've experienced. Wonderful. Wow. Why did I wait so long to pick this one up? This will be a regular dessert, celebration beer in the household from here on out...

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%

22oz bomber poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Black. Poured a thin coffee-colored head that faded quickly. I suspect I need a more aggressive pour. Minimal lacing, but produces nice-looking fine bubbles whenever disturbed.

S: Chocolate all the way, but if you hold your mouth just right you can smell the hops behind it.

T: After the smell, I was surprised it didn't taste like chocolate. Instead, what I got was a strong hit of roasted oats and barley and then an upfront bitterness of (I assume) Cascade hops. But then, in the finish, and especially as I exhaled out my nose I got a long, heavy, dark chocolate. To be perfectly honest, I expected a very sweet beer, and that's not what I got. Except for a bit of the malt when you first take a sip, there's virtually no 'sweet' in this beer. This is a heavily hopped beer, with strong bitter flavors and maybe a bit of sour. Outstanding.

M: Medium-full, smooth, with good carbonation to keep it from being too chewy.

D: I don't know how much of this I could drink at once before wanting something lighter and crisper. But I can drink this whole bottle, easy.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Bomber poured into a pint glass.
Looks pitch black in the glass, but is actually dark brown with an enormous cocoa colored head. Relatively thick layers of foam stick to the sides of the glass.

Smells of chocolate of the richest variety. If you close your eyes with your nose in the glass, you might imagine yourself in a chocolate factory. The sweet chocolate notes play off of coffee to an appetizing effect.

Let's see how it tastes... not surprisingly, the chocolate flavor is huge and delicious, but it still doesn't completely dominate. Caramel and coffee make notable contributions as well. There is also crisp, bitterness for balance... maybe some floral hops flavors in there somewhere? This brew is medium-bodied and creamy.

Rogue's Chocolate Stout is easy to love and would be a good intro beer or intro stout for an inexperienced palate. I would never decline one of these.

3.4/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured it into an english pint, two finger brown head and deep brown, almost black, opaque body. No light passing, not even at the edges. The head doesn't exactly maintain, but the lace is there. Looks like a stout to me.

Hard to pinpoint anything but a chocolate aroma. Defined and very deep, maybe just a hint of charred malts.

Chocolate. Again, the taste is distinct. Bitterness on the back combines with the light carbonation. Not too much of a bother, perhaps there to break up the strength of the cocoa. Not great, just what I'd expect really. Though, I must say I should have chilled this much longer.

Thick and smooth. Carbonation helps things along, really, without this might be chocolate syrup.

Should be much tougher because of the thickness, but all in all, it's alright. Not unusually easy, but not bad for a stout that I'd expect to be this heavy.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Presentation: 22oz Bomber ingredients listed but no freshness date.

Appearance: Black with a coffee head.

Smell: Baking cocoa powder.

Taste and Mouth Feel: While it is full bodied, it is very smooth. Very chocolate in flavor, but it is an unsweetened baking powder chocolate that has a touch of bitterness. This brew is very dry and has almost no sweetness.

Notes: This beer was not what I was expecting, but what ever is. While the natural chocolate flavor shines through, I was not overly impressed with the brew. I will note that this brew did get better as it warmed up, and I may have just gotten a bottle that was old or not well shipped. I will have to try it a few more times, and then update.

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

Draught at The Red in Santa Cruz. Black with a dense tan head. The aroma is super chocolate powered; leaning a little toward the dark side, but still milky and creamy. The flavor takes that and adds in a roasted bitterness that doesn't completely blend, but works out alright. The body is a little thin, but pretty smooth. This is a really nice smelling beer, with a pretty good flavor to back it up, but the chocolate and roasted malt don't seem to gel as well as they could

3.67/5  rDev -11.6%

A dark brown beer with a creamy head that settles pretty quickly.

Smell of pure chocolate, some supporting dark malts, which add a light roastiness.

Taste is sweet and has strong unsweetened chocolate flavors. Supported by a medium sweet malty body, the chocolate is flattened out and fits the beer. The chocolate flavor has some artificial edges but I get used to that. Some mild roasted malts are present, but it never gets sharp or burned. There is a sweet malt base, but the body is a bit thin.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Started drinking Rogue Ale Brewery beers over 10 years ago while living on the West Coast. When I moved back East, I kind of forgot about their delicious brews.

I was happy to see bombers of the Chocolate Stout in my local beer store.

A- Poured down the middle of a pint glass. Gigantic head, beautiful dark brown.

S- Warm Chocolate, but not too much. Just right.

T- Like a rich, velvety mocha,coffee feel.

M-Smooth, a little thick with perfect carbonation.

D- Started it before dinner and finished the bottle with my steak. I could have had another bottle for dessert. Wonderful.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

New to reviews,and how to review.
I have been drinking micros all my life,well didn't have micros when I started drinking the better beers.
I started with Heineken dark way back in the early 70's,I liked beer but not the regular crap
the other younsters drank.My girl friend and I would sit on the sidewalk outside her house and drink a few Heineken darks on the weekends,her parents never knew.

Then not long afterwards I found a much better brew,Guinness extra stout,wow so much better than Heineken dark.My friends would get angry when I showed up at a party with Guinness,more beer for me.

Now this evening so many years later,I picked up my first Rogue. Rogue chocolate stout,just have one thing to say about this brew,Dark Chocolate Dreams!I love it

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

This is an awsome stout. Worth the price.

A-Totally black. Brown head, opaque. Thick head.

S- milk chocolate. roasted malts. sweet.

T- milk chocolate. coffee. espresso.

M- thick, coats the mouth, heavy.

D- pretty easy, deff not hard.

rogue is an great beer.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a wonderous dark brown, almost black with a nice flluffy and full brown-white head that sticks about for the whole glass.

Smell of chocolate and roasted malt. I agree that there is something a little "dairy" like in the smell too.

tastes of roasted chocolate malt at first and then full bodied chocolate. Imagine drinking an alcoholic hot chocolate that has CO2 in it!

Full mouthfeel, like a liquid meal

Drank the 22ozer fine, but that was all you could hope for.

Overall a very nice, chocolatey, not too sweet, offering. Great Chocolate Stout

3.51/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a dark ebony with a fluffy tan head. Nose of chocolate/cocoa powder and some toasted malt. Taste was bitter, similar to 90% dark chocolate. I was hoping for a thicker mouthfeel and more depth, but it didn't deliver. Drinkability is good, but you have to pick the right time of year for it.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Black with a sightly-browned creamy head.

S: Lots of chocolate going on and definitely some milk characteristics as well.

T: Lots of chocolate flavor, and nothing artificial--this tastes like real chocolate. The flavor isn't overly sweet, and has a nice balance.

M: Fairly-full bodied and somewhat dry. Quite nice.

D: Good toward the beginning, although a full bomber is definitely a little too much given the character of this beer. Definitely suggest splitting this one amongst two or three others!

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Poured into a mug from the bottle a completely opaque black with a two centimetre tan head that hangs around for a fair while. Nice rings of lace down the glass.
S - Cocoa powder is the first thing that comes to mind from a deep inhalation. Some roastiness in there too. Some vague dark fruit hints.
T - Sweet chocolate with a dose of roasted malt up front followed by a touch of dark fruit and floral notes.
M - Medium bodied, low to medium carbonation. Sweet chocolate and roasty taste lingers.
D - A very tasty Stout indeed. Something I'll be drinking more of.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into a mug a jet black with a finger's worth of thick chocolate colored head. Soft chocolate smell, like an Aero bar, as opposed to a thicker, darker, sweeter chocolate. Taste is creamy smooth chocolate. Again I am reminded of Aero. No bitterness, excessive sweetness or anything else off putting. Surprisingly light and smooth, I wouldn't guess this is a stout if I tried it blindfolded. Overall very delicious and the best chocolate stout I have had.

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%

Very nice...pours a silky black that destroys all light trying to penetrate it. A massive head forms in my imperial pint glass, very frothy and IMMENSE! The head is cookie dough in color and fills 3/4 of the glass. The head dissipates from the bottom up, creating that great cascading effect. There was abundant lacing.

The bouquet is dominated by cocoa. It smells almost like Hersey's syrup. The malt aromas carry on a long way. I have never had a chocolate malt shake, but this is what I would imagine it to smell like, extremely malty and creamy.

The tastebuds are overcome by bitter chocolate, it is very tasty. I picked up on the oats, easily reminding me of the oatmeal flavor. An initial sweetness envelopes the entire mouth and the finish is somewhat bitter, possibly a combination of the hops and dark chocolate.

I would say the mouthfeel is the only weakness of this beer for me, where I am sure others would appreciate a lighter bodied stout. It is however unbelievably smooth and velvety with very fine carbonation.

This beer goes down WAY too easy!!! Very tasty, great dark chocolate bitterness. I started drinking it and the next thing I knew my glass was empty and the bomber is dry. This beer could be the perfect sessional stout.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Fairly aggressive pour.

First impression, great dark color. Huge head - maybe half the glass.. Had to let sit for a few minutes to even begin to sip it.

Scent was definitely sweet chocolate. First taste was a slightly dry, nicely roasted flavor. Chocolate was very prevalent.

Very coating in the mouth. Subtle if you're just looking for chocolate. More complex if you really try to taste it. Hints of coffee/espresso. Nice long finish with a mild spice at the end. almost an aftertaste of coconut for just a moment before the finish kicks in. A little bit of a dry beer.

Biggest sell was the scent. Flavor held up to it, though. A little think in the mouth.

I could definitely imagine this with a thick fudge brownie or some vanilla ice cream.

I'll definitely drink this one again in the future.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this in a bottle some time ago and I wasn't a big fan.

a: Very dark brown color, served to me with a lovely, creamy, dark mocha colored head.

s: Chocolate dominates here. Hershey's syrup with an edge of roastiness to it.

t: Mirrors the smell, as advertised. This is much better than the bottle I had. The chocolate flavors are gentle, complimenting the slightly bitter, roasty malts. There was a little licorice here as well.

m: I'm a sucker for nitro, I love a creamy stout.

d: The bottle was probably old, time for a deletion. Dangerously drinkable and delicious.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales