Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

12 Ingredients:

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

A- Pours a brown black hue, head is a brown pillowy layer that is mostly sustaining and bouncy, thick lacing on the glass
S- Nose is big roasted chocolate and coffee malts, strong backbone of subtle hops and alcohol, there is a something a little off at the end but I cant place it
T- Initial taste is moderate roasted coffee malts, which quickly transitions to sweet milk chocolate which pervades the flavor, touch of smoke and roast in the bittersweet finish
M- Full-bodied, thick and chewy texture, ample carbonation
D- Well-balanced and smoothly sweet stout, i would have preferred a little less coffee so that the chocolate could have come through a bit more, easy-drinking at 6%, good for a treat in small quantities

Stoneman78, Jan 08, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

This is an excellent Chocolate Stout. My cat likes it so I know this to be true. She drinks a little drop from my finger and if she licks her lips, I know it's good!

I poured from a bottle into my new Rogue goblet provided by my wife as a Christmas gift. The apperance is dark, definitely a little thicker than average beer, with a dark coffee color.

The smell was not strong, but it was nice. It had a nice aroma of Chocolate, but I could certainly smell some hops in there too.

The taste was perfect. I'm not even a fan of chocolate and this was delightful. It was not overwhelmingly chocolate, but definitely a hint under the hops and malt.

It was a little thicker than some other beers, but not like a Guiness. It was not as thick as milk. That was nice, because darker beers tend to be a bit heavier and this was not too heavy to drink the full 22 oz. bottle in one setting.

This was quite drinkable. As I mentioned I didn't have any problem finishing the full bottle and a full meal. I would recommend this to anyone who likes fine beers.

Overall, this is a great beer. I will definitely stock this in my personal stock on a regular basis.

jporter188, Jan 02, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

This is an excellent stout. I am beginning to fall in love with chocolate stouts.

Rogue continues to impress me with their brews. I really enjoyed this one.

The chocolate aroma was delightful even before I took my first sip.

The flavor is almost uncomparable. I drank this before a Southern Tier Choklat to decide which one I liked more.

The 6% is kinda weak but makes this beer very drinkable. I prefer the Choklat but this is hands-down my second favorite choc. stout.

You gotta try this one. Keep up the good work Rogue!

slagle9480, Dec 31, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

This is by far the best chocolate stout I have tried to date. (keep in mind that these reviews are off notes from long ago and my palate is much different now than then) The chocolate flavor is smooth and perfect as far as I am concerned. If there is another one out there that is better, I can’t wait to try it. As far as appearance goes it is dark brown with a thick head.

RblWthACoz, Dec 30, 2007

black with a tan head that didn't hold as well as i was hoping, but did have pretty good staying power, and left great lace. nose was bittersweet dark chocolate, coffee, and hops. taste was just what the nose suggested, and was fairly well balanced, but the hops stood out just a little too much for my taste in a chocolate stout. nice, full body, with a little bitter finish. i believe this is a must try for a chocolate stout fan, and it won't leave you dissapointed.

timtim, Dec 30, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Picked up a bomber at the store.

Pours a solid black with a thick fluffy tan head that stuck around for most of the experience. Initially the smell was all citrus hops, but as it warmed a bit I started getting some chocolate and some coffee. As I write this the chocolate is taking over, smells like hershey's special dark. There is a roast bitterness in the taste, but I think some of that bitterness comes from the chocolate as well. I once homebrewed a chocolate stout with pure cacao nibs, and this has that taste that I got. Taste has some hops in it as well as that silky chocolate taste. Mouthfeel gets better as it warms, I initially thought it a bit thin. Great brew, I'm glad I chose it today.

johnnnniee, Dec 27, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Served on-tap in a tulip during my visit at the Sunset Grill & Tap, on to the beer:

I got very little head in my glass and little lacing, but the body is pitch black and intiminating. The smell is extremely inviting, lots of sweet milk chocolate. From the aroma, I was guessing I would be drinking a chocolate shake, but my minor complaint is you can only taste the chocolate towards the end of the sip. It starts out like a stout, roasted bitterness and coffee, before you get to the gold, which is the chocolate. Despite the thick appearance, it goes down easy. I can't say I was dissapointed, I just was expected a different journey in the taste.

DoubleJ, Dec 27, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

The stout pours black with thin tan head, quickly dissipates into a ring. The nose is chocolate and coffee. Dark chocolate. At first taste the coffee seems stronger to me than the chocolate. Coffee bean, chocolate and some toffee. a bit of smoky flavor but not much. mouthfeel is a little thin, but sufficient. Drinkability is quite high. A smooth drink. a good one from rogue.

AKBelgianBeast, Dec 27, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Opaque black with a mocha brown head that dissipates to a layer of foam. Not a lot of lacing but it might be my new glass. The first aroma is chocolate, not chocolate malt but chocolate bar chocolate. Who doesn’t like that aroma? Tastes like chocolate and oats with a wonderfully hoppy bitter finish. Myself, I don’t detect the citrus aroma of the cascade hops that I know (from reading the label) are in there. Bitterness - yes ; citrus – no. Mouthfeel is thin and clean with enough carbonation to be refreshing. Overall a great beer, if you haven’t tried yet and intend to, you are in for a treat.

CDBeerDisappear, Dec 25, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -5%

22 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice rich dark brown color with a dark brown head that stays for a while.

S - Nice rich chocolate scents.

T - Nice chocolate flavor, a little thin.

M - Good flavor and medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Good beer, good flavor, best chocolate stout second only to Brooklyn's black chocolate stout.

jeffmonarch, Dec 25, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Smells of rich chocolate. Tastes every bit as good. Pours rich, dark thick, with a nice tan foamy head and very nice even lacing.

I had this in a bottle as well as on tap. Either way you can’t go wrong, but if you can find this on tap anywhere, that is the preferred way to go. Just an awesome beer and one I can drink over and over again.

Squaretooth, Dec 24, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a complete black with brown particles and 1 1/2 finger light brown head. Smell is woody slight smokey with chocolate bitterness and hop infusion. Very complex smell. Taste has a slight smooth chocolate taste with a very nice hop bitterness that compliments it very well. Mouth feel is a little thin, but thicker than a porter, so it passes with a 4.5. Drinkability is definately a 5. I could and will definately seek this chocolate stout again. A definate ace in my book.

DrinkinBuddy, Dec 23, 2007

22oz bomber poured into SA glass

A: dark black with a two + finger tan head

S: chocolate all the way, rich chocolate aroma and oatmeal hidden in there as well

T: Ditto smell. chocolate, oats and a hint of vanilla

M: full body with a creamy texture

D: very drinkable. Too bad I split the bomber with my wife, I could have another.

Rainintheface, Dec 22, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

While this is rated 'Outstanding", I still prefer Chocolate stouts who come by their flavors "naturally"...from the malts rather than the addition of flavors.

Pours a very black with a beautiful 2 finger milk chocolate colored head that leaves sticky mapping on the glass as you drain it.

Aroma is definitely chocolate...milk chocolate with carob aromas.

Taste is again definitely chocolate...powdered milk chocolate, carob, roasted to burnt malt, artificial vanilla tastes, lightly hopped for finishing.

Aftertaste is powdery and artificial vanilla.

Mouthfeel is too thin for what tries to come across in the flavor.
Good chocolate stout, but still artificial and disappointing to me.

IntriqKen, Dec 19, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from bomber into chalice and as soon as I opened it I could smell the chocolate. This is a black beer with a thick, mocha colored head, good retention and some lacing. Smell is of chocolate as expected but I was suprised to get a whiff of hops too. The hops are more pronounced when the beer is colder, as it warms the chocolate becomes dominant. Taste is of chocolate as well but a nice, rich, creamy chocolate, almost like a syrup. Some toasted grains and a tiny bit of hops (again, while its colder). Low carbonation and a thick, creamy mouthfeel. A pleasant, somewhat oily chocolate aftertaste left behind. Lower ABV makes this pretty drinkable. Overall a great beer and the best example of chocolate in beer I have tasted yet. As I review this is has a solid spot in the top 100, while I dont know if it will climb much higher, I certainly dont see it falling off the list. A true classic.

bunnyhustle, Dec 14, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -5%

Had this on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD

A: Black, with a dark creamy head. Nice good lacing down the glass.

S: A very discernable, actual chocolate aroma! Very cool.

T: Chocolately, roasted barley flavor with a nicely subdued hop bitterness in the background.

M: Creamy and thick, with the roasted barley aftertaste dominating.

D: An excellent stout. Maybe not quite as good as the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, but a close second. Well done.

pershan, Dec 12, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -26.7%

I was not greatly impressed with this beer. It certainly looked the part of a sweet stout, but the flavor and mouthfeel were very reminiscent of Yoohoo chocolate drink to me...which is to say chocolate-y (in a way) yet a bit thin and watery.

This beer certainly looks the part of a top-notch stout; it was black and opaque, although not particularly viscous. Head formation was creamy and sturdy. Aroma was chocolate-y and coffee-ish, but not overpowering. Flavor was as I said, very reminiscent of Yoohoo. Mouthfeel was a bit thin.

I’d weakly recommend this beer.

I picked up this 22oz bottle from Gary’s Liquor in Oak Creek, WI.

BeerBelcher, Dec 12, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

22 ounce bottle purchased from Beverages and More in Newport Beach for five dollars, last one on the shelf

Aged six months from intial purchase, probably close to a year old, second time trying this particular beer

Poured into my Aventinus glass with a very nice black color and a monsterous tan head that was close to two inches, left lacing for up to an hour, took close to two hours to finish this because it was my last beer of the night

Smell was chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate, also some coffee and roasted malt

Taste was also dominated by chocolate, there was some hoppiness left which was odd because of the age of the bottle, it gave the beer a slightly dry finish, this one must be even hoppier fresh but I cannot quite remember the first time I drank it because it was so long ago, hints of coffee came out once the beer got even warmer but it was pretty much served at room temperature, rich and filling, I am not a big chocolate fan or sweet beers in this way but I thoroughly enjoyed this, would have again

Not much carbonation at all, but the body sure was thick and full, nice long lasting mouthfeel

Could not drink much more than a bomber of this, too heavy on the stomach, the ABV is low though, does not go down easy, most definitely a sipper and dessert beer

Another nice beer from Rogue, I liked this one better than Shakespeare and their other stouts, highly recommended, glad this one is widely available

Floydster, Dec 09, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

I did not enjoy this beer. Purchased in bomber form, the beer poured nicely, but my hopes began to wane when I sniffed it. Too much chocolate. The chocolate nose reminded me of chocolate syrup for lattes, which is never as good as Hershey's syrup--which isn't very good. The taste was more offensive--like someone dumped a bunch of flavoring into what could have been a good beer. Well, someone did. Although I did not like the strength of the chocolate, it was the synthetic characteristic that I couldn't get past.

boogles, Dec 07, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +13%

A - Pours jet black with a thin brown head.

S - Bittersweet cocoa with hints of coffee and hops. The chocolate is on display here and it is delightful.

T - Delicious chocolate with a touch of coffee and bitterness from the hops.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and creamy.

D - I am not a huge chocolate fan but found this beer to be very tasty.

brewcrew76, Dec 03, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured a bomber of this into a pint glass. Poured a thick, syrupy dark brown and left a khaki head of about an inch. Very nice looking stout. Smell is overwhelmingly chocolate, believe it or not. Very sweet smelling. Taste is a sensation of chocolates. I first noticed very sweet chocolate, like Hersey. Then it was more semi-sweet. There were also notes of very bitter chocolate, almost like coffee, like the taste of eating chocolate malt. Very complex. Very delicious. I could easily kick back and enjoy these all night.

atrus138, Dec 03, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

A: You've got to love the bottles that Rogue designs, great aesthetic. Beer pours like chocolate syrup, a completely opaque, deep dark chocolate color almost like the bottle, with a large dense head.

S: Mighty roasted coffee aroma, with sweet chocolate undertones. Some hops are noticeable as well.

T: Bitterness of dark chocolate dominates the taste, coffee becomes the undertone. Also some fruit and hoppy notes!

M: Mouthfeel is heavy and syrupy. The first few gulps combine the syrupy feel of the beer with the creaminess of the head which reminded me of hot chocolate, very silky and smooth.

D: Took me well over an hour to finish this bomber, and it made me quite full! Both the price-tag and the novelty keep it from being a regular in my fridge, but its fun and definitely worth picking up in the future.

Reanimator, Dec 02, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

The color is dark and thick, reminds me of Hershey's syrup and has a thin mocha colored head that stuck through all the whole glass. Can definitely smell a lot of fragrant chocolate, caramel, and almost the smell of milk. The taste is really creamy, milky, and actually a bit like an oatmeal stout at first. Then it fades away into a sweeter chocolate taste that slowly turns into the aftertaste of deep dark chocolate and coffee with a lot of the bitter cocoa taste. Not too much carbonation with the beer but I think that it fits the creamy smooth nature of the beer though pretty well. A really drinkable beer too because the taste is just great and you don't get tired of the chocolate taste at all since it is not a sickingly sweet chocolate taste.

jeonseh, Dec 02, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to biegaman and Hog Town Harry for making the trek to Buffalo today, I got to try this growler tonight. Pours very dark black, tan head one to two fingers with stayng power and great lacing. Smells of coffee, shaved dark chocolate, tiramisu. Taste is malted milk, more coffee, dark chocolate almonds, chocolate cheesecake ... very, very tasty. The mouthfeel is smooth, just enough richness to make it irresistable with a medium body. I found this had a mildly bitter finish with a lingering choco-nutty aftertaste, what a treat, thanks Jan.

ThatWineGuy, Dec 01, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Pitch black with a light brown head with thin sticky lacing and a thin head that stays on top. All sweet chocolate smell. Real chocolatey taste that's sweet at first and almost bitter on the way down. Smooth feel. Wonderful beer. If you haven't tried this, have someone hit you and then go out and pick one up.

clemsonbrewer, Nov 29, 2007